Game Mechanics Class Choice When Starting a New Character

How about this idea?

• Great! A good reason to play class-only!

• Uhmm. This might force me to play class-only.

• I'm not sure about it.

• It needs some improvement. Luckily, I will tell something!

• Not really, it doesn't seem to a good idea. Sorry friend...

• No matter! I'm not interested in these type of thingies!

Results are only viewable after voting.

SteveisNoob

Pixel Pirate
Hello again, it's me, SteveisNoob. I heard this idea from a friend, and thought it would be fine the ones who plays class-only. So, here's my suggestion. When we making a new character, we will be able to choose a class for him/her. And of course, we can choose all-classes :) But, what will happen when we make a class-only char. Here's something that I think about it;
  • Class-only chars have an additional +%15 damage bonus for their respective class, but when they use another class, they will have -%50 damage penalty. The penalty only applied when they used a weapon which doesn't on their respective class.
  • Droprates for class-only chars are different from normal chars. For example, when a ranged-only char fights the golem he/she will get ranged weapons with a greater change than the melee/magic drops.
  • When starting with a class-only character, the less powerful weapon of this class will be added the char's inventory. (Melee: Copper Shortsword, Ranged: Copper Bow and some arrows, Magic: Wand of Sparking and some mana potions, Summoner: Slime or Hornet Staff, may be replaced with another suggestion weapon)
  • I'm not sure how to explain this, so I will give an example to explain it: When you have a magic-only char, spawn rates for magic-related enemies will be slightly than other types. This also applied for events.
That's it for now. I will be improving it whenever I had an idea or suggestion. And as everytime, thanks for wasting your time to read this!

this is kind of unnecessary, because I love the ability of being able to use all weapons, and switching between them depending on the circumstance, and I'm sure that's how most people play. It would be too op if you were going to do a single class playthrough and probably too op anyway, and the whole "class" thing (discounting weapons/armor/acessories)just doesn't really fit into terraria that much. Yes I know N terraria was cool, but that was a mod, and in my opinion it's a good mod, but not really fit for the actual game itself. One of the reasons (not just this though) Terraria is such a great game is because of the constant fluctuation, customization and ability to change whenever or whatever you want.
Sorry if this seems harsh, but it's just my opinion.

Your problem is kinda already solved in game?

Wear X armor and use Y weapon is weaker than using X weapon and X armor.

Tbh, classes doesn't fit in Terraria and adding this will discourage people to have multiple class playthrough.

Tbh, classes doesn't fit in Terraria and adding this will discourage people to have multiple class playthrough.
maybe offer it as an option during char creation but not manditory (maybe a difficulty setting?) somepeoplemight likeit

maybe offer it as an option during char creation but not manditory (maybe a difficulty setting?) somepeoplemight likeit
I will just quote this from @LoM2 since I have the same opinion with him/her on another class thread.
Fundamentally, I dislike railroading people into a class choice. But asking them to do it at the beginning of the game? There's no value to be gotten out of that, the only thing that does is narrow their horizons. In a game of adventure, we should be encouraging the players to explore as much content as they can, not try to set them on a specific course.
EDIT: None is optional, but...
Sigma90 said:
I know there is a None option, but that doesn't really change anything. No new players will select None. +15% damage is also very high for starting - it's equal to the emblems the WoF drops. The -X% doesn't balance that out; it just penalises players who regret their decision at creation time.

It's it, you will choose the class-only option when creating a new char.

That's true. The game provides benefit for using a class' weapon with its respective armor. My suggestion just only offers a special bonus, you will have naturally buffed your chosen class, but if you used another class your damage will be nerfed. For example a summoner-only char will have a damage bonus by nature, but if this char uses a melee weapon the melee damage is reduced, like the effect that Spectre Hood does.
this is kind of unnecessary, because I love the ability of being able to use all weapons, and switching between them depending on the circumstance, and I'm sure that's how most people play. It would be too op if you were going to do a single class playthrough and probably too op anyway, and the whole "class" thing (discounting weapons/armor/acessories)just doesn't really fit into terraria that much. Yes I know N terraria was cool, but that was a mod, and in my opinion it's a good mod, but not really fit for the actual game itself. One of the reasons (not just this though) Terraria is such a great game is because of the constant fluctuation, customization and ability to change whenever or whatever you want.
Sorry if this seems harsh, but it's just my opinion.
Oh, thank you for your idea! I will think about it harder.
And, @screamindynomit and @Mihn thank you too for your opinions!

Terraria is a sandbox,
And thus, it's your own choice if you want to do a class playthrough or not, not the game's choice.

And there are also some 'class' playthroughs where it's not based on a specific in-game class
*coughs*

Back
Top Bottom