Class Ranking

true,but they kep saying that ranger-summoner was the most powerful combo,and therefore it was usesless to mix any other weaponss,I was saying that's not ture,adn that melee weapons and mage weapons can be included too

true,but they kep saying that ranger-summoner was the most powerful combo,and therefore it was usesless to mix any other weaponss,I was saying that's not ture,adn that melee weapons and mage weapons can be included too
Oh don't get me wrong, they totally can. You just won't be quite as strong. There are niches like OOA armors for mixing other things with summoner specifically. But I wouldn't say it's a bad idea to use Vampire Knives, Magnet Sphere, or Golden Shower as support if you need to.

I think everyone’s just misunderstanding each other.

I wasn’t saying it was useless, I was trying to get the point across that you end up naturally shifting toward ranged+summoner when running multiclass because they have the strongest stuff. Not that it was useless to add other classes - if you deliberately add melee or mage to the build, you could make them work, but ranged+summoner ends up being the most naturally strong.

Similarly, I thought you were saying you *should* add in melee and mage, not that you *can*.

Speaking of fun and shadowflame knives, one of my favorite suboptimal builds is frost armor + flask of cursed flames + fire gauntlet + shadowflame knives. Something about setting enemies ablaze with four different flavors of fire.
same here,that's what I like to do with frost armor+shadowflame+ichor.
I ahve found that everytihng like everything else is...moderation is key.

An aspect of pure class playthroughs I like is it narrows the weapon pool, forcing experimentation. Sounds like an oxymoron, but hear me out.
Terraria has an overwhelming number of weapons, which makes it easy to stick with what's familiar on repeat playthroughs. But in pure playthroughs, I have to play within the class boundaries, looking out for new weapons. I loved using weapons like the Venom Staff, Stellar Tune and Magic Missile's varients in my pure mage run, but I may not have discovered them otherwise.

Plus I've seen people do mixed runs where their inventory is cluttered with a million weapons and I go :red: that.

Back to the main topic. Here is my personal preference.
  1. Mage. Weapons are distinct from each other. Viable at every stage, but not overpowered.
  2. Summoner. The synergy between whips and minions is unlike other classes. Having bodyguards for fishing, mining or what have you is great.
  3. Melee. Lots of weapons to choose from, though many blend together. A little close-range for my liking.
  4. Ranger. It's easy to play, if I feel like relaxing. Unfortunately there's only so many ways to change up "bang bang pew pew".
Ranger and Melee could be swapped, I'm not 100% on those.

I don't believe in objective class rankings so I'll base them on my own experiences:

1 - Melee
Obviously a contentious view considering the other rankings here, but it's the only class I've played in which I've felt natural progression, no stress, and ease of use. At no point have I felt it was doing insufficient DPS (and I don't particularly care about nominally longer boss fights if I know I can win them); and the range of options, high defense, and great accessory options meant that I can cruise through with this class every single time. The most significant reason that it's number one is that it's the only class with no resource management or other forms of mechanic micromanagement, which is such an annoying experience for me when playing Mage or Ranger that I almost never play them anymore.

2 - Summoner
The "weakest" class as far as I'm concerned. Most minion AI is unreliable and damage output seems to be variable but mainly lingering on the lower side. It also has absolutely horrendous defense, so you can barely take hits (particularly annoying as I found I often had to get close to enemies to hit them with whips and get my minions to target them). The only reason I'm putting it above any of the other classes is because it has minimal micromanagement, as you only need the bare minimum amount of mana to reliably summon, unless you're actively recasting to reposition summons during boss battles. Summons are also great at handling mobs, so I like using them in farms.

3 - Mage
I despise mana management. It's not technically a finite resource like ammo is, but I still find it depletes quickly and I don't like filling up my inventory with potions to replenish it (or waiting for it to replenish manually). Also has very low defense.

4 - Ranger
Similar to Mage, I've found it frustrating to deal with ammo management, more so than mana because it's finite. Doing just about any fighting and seeing the ammo trickle down in my inventory is a demoralising feeling and makes me feel like I'm dealing perpetually with a timer. I've also found myself having a lot of inventory management with this class (like Mage) and having to gun for weaker weapons like the Harpoon and Paintball Gun in pre-hardmode just to have a reliable weapon. I can buy and craft ammo but even that feels like a chore, with how expensive it can get. Endless Musket Pouch and Endless Quiver may serve as alternatives, though suffer from shoddy damage output in Hardmode.

Last edited:
1. Mage
2. Melee
3. Summon and ranged

Mage is the only class I really use. Even with end game gear in all classes, I still find myself a Mage. Most interesting variety I guess.

Melee is good too.

Ranged does nothing for me. One gun is much like another, just varying damage.

Summon I use mostly as backup. Of all the classes it seems to have the most rigid progression, and each play though feels the same.

Last edited:
to sum up for me:
Best class (this is my opinion so don't try to pick any :red:ty fights because I say something you think isn't true)
1.Ranger 2nd best tank, best dmg outputs, destroys bosses really easily, there
2.Mage Similar to ranged, but less tank and more vairety. (mage has the best set bonus)
3.Summoner Lowest def, means u have to dodge everything to stay alive, just one mistake kills you, but better than melee
4.Melee Highest def, but dmg and crowd control suffers until post flour

Most fun playthrough
1.Mage/Ranger: most viarity, and least grindy (mage has the best set bonus)
2. Summoner: very grindy, most challenging, has a good viarity
3. Melee: More than half the weapons do the same, with no secret abilites or powers until late game

Best in Pvp:
1.Ranger: Bullet and arrow hell, duh
2 Mage: many crowd control weapons to kill with, however most do not home
3. Melee: Fast and high damage weapons but really close range is an uncomfortable feeling
4. Summon: The minions don't even attack, and whips are kinda worthless considering the fact that everyone else is shooting and swinging hundreds of projectiles everywhere.

(again, don't pick any fights with me this is MY Opinion, if you don't like it, too bad, i have my opinons, you have yours, great)

Oh, this'll be fun! Okay, okay... so, I've been playing on Drunk World Seed as-of-late & have a list of unpopular takes. 😏🥤 Before I start though, my measuring stick is gonna be based on how powerful I feel each Class is throughout major stages of progression. Not sure what the accepted standard for this is, but I have my own that I use & plan to apply here.

Pre EoC/ Goblin Army:
  1. Summoner - This Class takes the number one spot because, I figured out the trick to getting the Zoologist to spawn sooner. In a Drunk World Seed, both the Tundra & Jungle Biome are in the same general location, sometimes they might even overlap. You can get so much done here, it's quite impressive. I think it best to just go after the Ocean Biome only after getting the Flinx Set, so you can passively kill Sea Creatures while you fish. The Zoologist will likely show up around this point, completing your Kit. Either way, Snapthorn can be skipped for Spinal Tap.
  2. Ranger - I mean... what really needs to be said here? You've got a gun. 😏🤷‍♂️
  3. Melee - I think the Hammer Weapons are greatly underappreciated. Plus, I finally got to see what's so special about the Katana in a beefed-up version of Vanilla so... I'm pretty sure it's as destructive as it felt!
  4. Mage - It's possible to do the 1.3.5 Water Bolt skip in a Drunk World Seed, but your other goodies are still gonna be random. Melee & Mage can be swapped if you're lucky before being attacked/ invaded.
Post EoW/ Meteorite Event:
  1. Mage - This is a large progression spike in my opinion, because... no matter your current progress or lack-thereof, you can now invade the Jungle for a direct upgrade. This is a complete Kit & you can likely use it all-the-way into Hardmode if you wanted (though I'd advise against it). 😏🤷‍♂️
  2. Summoner - By this time you'll likely have a favorite Mount for movement & can spend as much or little time you'd like fishing for Vampire Frog. Doesn't matter either way, because you have access to Queen Bee or Obsidian Armor. All that matters is getting it, how you go about it is totally up to you at this point...
  3. Ranger - Star Cannon... 😏🤷‍♂️
  4. Melee - I mean... you're not in a bad position per se, but... everyone else is graduating from college at this point.
Pre WoF/ Underworld Biome:
  1. Summoner - Doesn't matter if you're wearing Bee Gear or Obsidian Gear, you win early-Hardmode. If you chose Obsidian, you can pretty much skip most content & fight the Mech Bosses right away, if you're lucky enough to get a Firecracker Whip!
  2. Ranger - I mean, it's pretty much smooth sailing from here-on-out. Ranger will take the Crown in Hardmode & it'll pretty much stay there until the credits roll. 👑
  3. Mage - Not too far behind Ranger, but the gap will fluctuate back and forth for a while, with Mage being marginally worse no matter what, sometimes the difference only being razor-thin.
  4. Melee - Prepare for struggle city my dear friend, it only gets tougher from here!!

Back
Top Bottom