Clearify "Expert Mode"

Status
Not open for further replies.

T.M@ni

Terrarian
I know that Expert Mode is a new mode in Terraria 1.3. And I've red a few words here and there about it. I know the bosses are getting smarter, harder and more challenging and all that, but I can't find anywhere that clearlifies how it really works.

1. Is it a mode that unlocks like you do with hardmode by killing a certain boss?

2. Is it a difficulty setting harder then "Hard?" If so, is it bound to a character or to a world?
2a. Do you have to create a new character to enable expert mode?
2b. Can you enable expert mode with your exsisting charachter
2c. Do you have to create a new world and activate Expert Mode when creating the world?

3. Does it work in any other way then above or combined with the options above?

PS - I apoIogize if my english is bad :p
And I must be nuts feeling abit sad that I'm going on vacation on June 30 and will be gone for a week and not being able to play this patch on day one :(

All we know is it's "map based", so it will be an option at worldgen. We will have EM maps and normal maps. Just like you can select different modes of play for your character, so to with map generation.

There's a discussion about it going on here.

What I *hope* it is is this:
When you beat the final boss, Expert mode is unlocked, and EVERY mob and boss gets an AI boost.

I say this cause in the trailer we see someone using hardmode items on the EoW and EoC. If Expert mode was to challenge you, why give hardmode items early?

What I *hope* it is is this:
When you beat the final boss, Expert mode is unlocked, and EVERY mob and boss gets an AI boost.

I say this cause in the trailer we see someone using hardmode items on the EoW and EoC. If Expert mode was to challenge you, why give hardmode items early?
I must be going blind - where do they use hardmode items to fight EoW and EoC?

See the Skeletron fight. He's using the spear we see used earlier against the new underground mobs. It's brief but it is a hardmode item.
They might have just re-fought skeletron after unlocking hardmode and getting shiny new spears. Or the spears could be a pre-hardmode item.

From what I've read, it's an actual difficulty setting, unlike Mediumcore and Hardcore. Gotta wait to play it to know if it is actual difficulty, but it seems that way in the trailer.

See the Skeletron fight. He's using the spear we see used earlier against the new underground mobs. It's brief but it is a hardmode item.
I assume you mean the spear type weapon near the beginning-ish of the video against the granite mobs? If you notice that spear sticks, the one he uses against skeletron doesn't. Goes right through him. And besides - Even if it was the same spear, was this spear ever confirmed to be a hardmode weapon?
Anyway...
From what I've read, it's an actual difficulty setting, unlike Mediumcore and Hardcore. Gotta wait to play it to know if it is actual difficulty, but it seems that way in the trailer.
Sounds interesting, having a difficult setting which I imagine you choose for the world itself, not the player. :passionate:

I would think Expert Mode would affect both the worlds and characters - it would be pointless to have that mode if you could have a normal endgame character drop endgame stuff in a chest for your Expert Mode character. Gear doesn't win fights alone, but even a faster, stronger Eye of Cthulhu would be mincemeat facing a Megashark.

I would think Expert Mode would affect both the worlds and characters - it would be pointless to have that mode if you could have a normal endgame character drop endgame stuff in a chest for your Expert Mode character. Gear doesn't win fights alone, but even a faster, stronger Eye of Cthulhu would be mincemeat facing a Megashark.

Meh, can't stop people wanting to be in god mode and feeling powerful using a flamethrower against an anthill.

You know very well that as soon as 1.3 releases, people'll be trying to get an updated inventory editor (if necessary to update) to get the best of the best stuff to show off.

One should not facilitate laziness. Cheaters are going to cheat, of course, and it's their loss, and I pity them greatly - but it doesn't mean I would want or agree to the developers making things easy for them.

It's not really directly helping them out. I think the freedom of integrating worlds and characters should remain, even in expert mode, because of that 'sandbox' concept or whatever.

But it's their loss if they think they're badass for getting to a certain stage of expert mode illegitimately.

Meh, can't stop people wanting to be in god mode and feeling powerful using a flamethrower against an anthill.

You know very well that as soon as 1.3 releases, people'll be trying to get an updated inventory editor (if necessary to update) to get the best of the best stuff to show off.
GeeGee Scrub, you haz copper sword? Well I haz supah dupah l33t MLG Pro Lasar Minigun 3 minutes after updatez. :cool:

Some sort of special character that is bound to that world and only they can enter it sort of thing maybe?

Making it so worlds don't appear for characters of the wrong "type" would be the easier way to do that. I'd hate to have something as annoying as "one world per character" implemented in a game' that's heavily built around RNG.

As far as I know, they have only actually used the term "mode" when talking about hard mode, so i imagine if it was an option in world gen it or a difficulty, they would just call it "expert."

As far as I know, they have only actually used the term "mode" when talking about hard mode, so i imagine if it was an option in world gen it or a difficulty, they would just call it "expert."
I think the only problem with that, is when and how do you activate it? I mean, you gotta activate it pretty early in the game if it is some sort of game mode like Hard mode, cause if it came after hard mode, then besides for the giggles behind it what point would someone with a terra blade have to fight EoC Or Skeletron again?

I think the only problem with that, is when and how do you activate it? I mean, you gotta activate it pretty early in the game if it is some sort of game mode like Hard mode, cause if it came after hard mode, then besides for the giggles behind it what point would someone with a terra blade have to fight EoC Or Skeletron again?
The same way as hardmode was activated. defeat plantera, get expert mode with new bosses and events unlocked. only problem with that is I have a sneaking suspicion that its somehow not what anyone on the post guessed.

No point in that mode then - and it would be a waste of time to have to go through all of the normal game to get Expert mode. Enough games do that already, locking actual challenge behind a fake barrier. It would be quite disappointing.

Good thing it's not going to happen, tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom