NPCs & Enemies Clockwork Crusade - An Alternate Pirate Invasion

O_Nothing

Skeletron Prime
Clockwork.png

Clockwork Crusade

“Curious constructs are approaching from the east/west!”

The Clockwork Crusade is a whimsical Clockpunk-themed event that occurs during Hardmode. Its basic aesthetic revolves around stereotypical high-class British culture, mechanical clockwork, and early daVinci inventions. It replaces the Pirate Invasion event in alternate worlds and follows the same criteria to occur.

The Clockwork Crusade can be manually be summoned by Pinkerton’s Pocketwatch, a curious device dropped by flying enemies. Invented by Professor Pinkerton himself, the pocketwatch overlays an alternate timeline in which steam powered technology became the new craze and mechanical augmentations were commonplace.

Sprites would be appreciated.

So basically, just upbeat old-timey ragtime music. Maybe not this exact melody.

Automaton
HP: 350
DMG: 28
DEF: 20

A common soldier fitted with mechanical parts. Uses the Fighter AI, becoming faster as their health decreases.

Pinkerton’s Peeper
HP: 100
DMG: 100
DEF: 8

Levitating machines invented by the famous Professor Pinkerton, Pinkerton’s Peepers are eyeball-shaped brass spheres fitted with a mechanical propeller to keep them afloat. It follows the Probe AI, with periodic high velocity charge attacks. Lacks the ability to fly through walls.

Clockwork Construct
HP: 400
DMG: 65
DEF: 25

A spider-like mechanical creature with a large clock for a face. Attacks using Tortoise-like leap attacks, though with less horizontal range. The construct’s “gibs” persist for a while after death, rolling around and dealing minor damage.

Thingamabob
HP: 200
DMG: 50
DEF: 10

A fancy robotic butler, now malfunctioning with age. Thingamabobs are highly unpredictable, due to their habit of switching to random terrestrial mob AIs on the fly. One second they’ll be wandering around like an NPC, and the next they’ll be racing towards you with the Unicorn AI.

Flyboy
HP: 300
DMG: 40

Primitive airplane-like vehicles, Flyboys pass back and forth over the player, dropping bombs that explode on contact with the ground. Upon reaching quarter health, Flyboys will essentially try to divebomb the player, exploding for heavy damage upon contact with anything.

Miraculous Flying Machine
HP: 9000
DMG: 28

A large blimp-like vehicle, Miraculous Flying Machines keep afloat though a combination of lighter-than-air technology and electromagnetic equilibrium. They attack via heavy bursts of highly damaging steam, regularly spawning enemies.

Gentleman
HP: 3000
DMG:
70 (Melee)
60 (Gun)
150 (Steamshot)
DEF: 30

A finely dressed gentleman, monocle and all. His AI is similar to the Pirate Captain, but with a few things switched about. The Gentleman’s “default” attack is the steamshot, a giant brass ball fired at great speeds for high damage, though with a low reload rate. These projectiles persist after hitting tiles, rolling around like boulders.

Occasionally, the Gentleman will pull out a great clockwork minigun, which will fire a hail of gunfire. While in this state, the gun’s angle won’t change to track the player, so it’s probably best that you avoid it. You really don't want to be caught up in that.

Brass Furniture (0.33%)
Furniture

A set of early 1800’s era antique furniture that wouldn’t look out of place in an antique shop. Made of brass.

Bowler Hat (0.2%)
Vanity

Golden Monocle (0.2%)
Vanity

Tailcoat Jacket (0.2%)
Vanity

Tailcoat Pants (0.2%)
Vanity

Propeller Hat (0.2%)
Vanity

Shockinator (0.0125%)
Magic Weapon

Damage: 50
Knockback: Weak
Speed: N/A

A gauntlet weapon that allows the player to continuously damage nearby enemies through a stream of electricity. By hovering the cursor over an enemy, the electric bolt will transfer over to the next enemy, allowing players to “chain” damage up to four enemies at a time. More enemies cost the player more mana.

Doodly Doohickey (0.5%)
Ranged Weapon

Damage: 30
Knockback: Average
Speed: Very Fast

A strange gun-like weapon that launches somewhat accurate bullets. For every bullet fired, there’s a 1/3 chance that a Spiky Ball-like projectile will fly out of the gun in a random direction, lingering on the ground for a while and damaging enemies that step on it.

Ponderous Pipe (0.05%)
Summoning Weapon

Damage: 50
Speed: Slow

A strange old-fashioned pipe. Summons mystical smoke bubbles to attack your enemies.

Quizzing Glass (0.1%)
Accessory

Allows the player to see the selling prices of items without having to consult an NPC.

Golden Clasp (0.05%)
Accessory

Raises the duration of potion buffs by 20%.

Contrabulous Fabtraption (0.025%)
Mount

A rare mechanical flying device dropped during the event. Through the use of large clockwork propellers and primitive wings, the Fabtraption allows for limited flight.

The device has a high vertical speed, clocking at 60 mph, but a somewhat slower horizontal speed. The device auto-hovers when it runs out of height, and moves slowly on land.

An NPC that moves in after at least one Clockwork Crusade event has been defeated, the Gentleman is visually identical to his miniboss counterpart.

Steampopper: 25
GoldCoin.gif

Furniture Weapon

Damage: 35
Speed: Insanely Fast

A gleaming brass minigun. Not only looks really cool, but also functions as a weapon when fed ammo. For every “salvo” fed into to Steampopper, the gun will continuously fire for 1.5 seconds in the direction that it’s pointed in at a high rate.

Brass Salvo: 35
174781-2056d1a643b763f257592beffe6e0fbf.jpg

Ammo

Can be fed into the Steampopper as ammo.

Oil Lamp: 3
GoldCoin.gif

Furniture

An old-timey brass oil lamp.

Wall Mirror: 5
GoldCoin.gif

Furniture

A large silver mirror rimmed with – you guessed it – brass.

Parasol: 25
GoldCoin.gif

Accessory

A black Mary Poppins-esque umbrella. Allows players to “hover” for a few seconds, like an upgraded Magic Carpet.

Curtain: 10
index.php

Furniture

A large red background wall decoration.

Crumpet: 3
PlatinumCoin.gif
GoldCoin.gif
in Space Biome

Pet

Summons an itty bitty brass robot, which flies with tiny propellers.

W.I.P - Suggestions welcome.

Here's a quick suggestion for enemy i thought of:
Nuts and bolts, there two enemies that function like the twins, in that the nut is a tiny cog that relies on ramming into the player.
While the bolt shoots lazers from a far. Once one of them is defeated the other is damaged.

Here's a quick suggestion for enemy i thought of:
Nuts and bolts, there two enemies that function like the twins, in that the nut is a tiny cog that relies on ramming into the player.
While the bolt shoots lazers from a far. Once one of them is defeated the other is damaged.

That sounds like a pretty cool idea, though I'd prefer to keep the number of enemies between the Pirate Invasion and the Clockwork Crusade the same.

That does give me an idea, though. Maybe there could be an enemy resembling a swarm of nuts and bolts that spawn from deceased enemies, similar to Dungeon Spirits in the Hardmode Dungeon.

there is already a Steampunk NPC, no need for another

I would have hard time focusing on killing event creatures when tiny tim is yodeling silly music in my ear

I really like the name of Contrabulous Fabtraption. As for quotes, the Gentleman should reference the steampunker, and vice versa.

Also, I agree with GriffdeBiff and his Jam of Approval. If he could add some jelly for me though...

there is already a Steampunk NPC, no need for another

That was actually my biggest worry about the Gentleman. While the Steampunker sorta resembles someone from Bioshock, I intended to tone down the steampunk-y feel by giving the Gentleman more of an antique old-fashioned Victorian feel, closer in aesthetic to to the Tax Collector than to the Steampunker.

I would have hard time focusing on killing event creatures when tiny tim is yodeling silly music in my ear

I don't know man, that sounds like a dream come true. Seriously though, it's just an example theme, it probably won't be Tiny Tim playing the ingame music. This kind of event is one that strikes me as one that doesn't take itself too seriously, so the silly ragtime music matches, imo.

I love this idea! I've always been a fan of Steampunky things, and this sort of event would be awesome! I do believe however that the amount of equipment dropped by this is rather large, at least compared to the Pirate Invasion. That might just be me though. Lastly, this reminds me of a small Indie Game called "Steamworld Heist", and with Terraria's track record of cheeky references to other games, adding some stuff similar to that game would be cool

I love this idea! I've always been a fan of Steampunky things, and this sort of event would be awesome! I do believe however that the amount of equipment dropped by this is rather large, at least compared to the Pirate Invasion. That might just be me though. Lastly, this reminds me of a small Indie Game called "Steamworld Heist", and with Terraria's track record of cheeky references to other games, adding some stuff similar to that game would be cool
If Steamworld references were added it would be more appropriate to consider Dig as the candidate due to its partially Terraria inspired roots.

If Steamworld references were added it would be more appropriate to consider Dig as the candidate due to its partially Terraria inspired roots.

Very true! I honestly forgot that Dig existed, as i finished it and forgot about it. Heist had more replay value to me. Regardless, i loved both and both had quality content you could include

Back
Top Bottom