tAPI Coding Help Required

Hi, so in short I am making a mod for my brother and require a little help with the coding of a magic staff.

The staff is called "Sunlight Staff", the item works fine except for im having trouble with making it shoot the correct projectile.

Now im not sure if i even need to be shooting a custom projectile or what the coding is for this, just stating that now :p

Pretty much he wants the staff to shoot a "beam of light" like the Shadowbeam Staff only yellow, does not bounce off terrain, and is a straight beam like a constant laser. I hope you all understand what i mean by this.

SIDE NOTE - If anyone knows how to set the distance the projectile will travel before dispersing that would be great too :)

I have my .json files for both the staff and projectile and the .cs for the projectile as well.
CLICK HERE FOR FILES

I would really appreciate the help and so would my brother.

Much Thanks,
KingKirmit

Last edited:
I've been trying to do what you're trying to do, looking through the decompiled Projectile AI for Heat Ray projectile, still can't seem to make it work. I don't know if this helps but you can make your own Heat Ray projectile with this code.

Code:
{
    "displayName": "Generic Laser",
    "size": [8, 8],
    "aiStyle": 48,
    "friendly": true,
    "hostile": false,
    "tileCollide": true,
    "ignoreWater": true,
    "magic": true,
    "penetrate": -1,  //Cleaner infinite penetration
    "maxUpdates": 100
    //No time left means it won't run out of time
}

And for the projectile png, you can just have it as an 8x8 picture that is all transparent because AI style 48 makes the dust that form the laser. And if you want it to keep firing, you should have the item values as something like:

Code:
{
    "displayName": "Laser Weapon",
    "size": [10,10],
    "maxStack": 1,
    "value": [0,2,0,0],  
    "rare": 7,
    "tooltip": ["A Laser Weapon"],
    "useStyle": 5,
    "useAnimation": 10,
    "useTime": 2,
    "useSound": 15,
    "noMelee": true,  
    "damage": 80,
    "shoot": "<YourModName>:GenericLaser",
    "shootSpeed": 15,
    "mana": 5,
    "autoReuse": true,

"recipes":
    [{
        "items": { "Dirt Block": 1 },
        "creates": 1  
    }]
}

I hope this helps a little bit.

Last edited:
I've been trying to do what you're trying to do, looking through the decompiled Projectile AI for Heat Ray projectile, still can't seem to make it work. I don't know if this helps but you can make your own Heat Ray projectile with this code.

Code:
{
    "displayName": "Generic Laser",
    "size": [8, 8],
    "aiStyle": 48,
    "friendly": true,
    "hostile": false,
    "tileCollide": true,
    "ignoreWater": true,
    "penetrate": -1,  //Cleaner infinite penetration
    "maxUpdates": 100
    //No time left means it won't run out of time
}

And for the projectile png, you can just have it as an 8x8 picture that is all transparent because AI style 48 makes the dust that form the laser. And if you want it to keep firing, you should have the item values as something like:

Code:
{
    "displayName": "Laser Weapon",
    "size": [10,10],
    "maxStack": 1,
    "value": [0,2,0,0],
    "rare": 7,
    "tooltip": ["A Laser Weapon"],
    "useStyle": 5,
    "useAnimation": 10,
    "useTime": 2,
    "useSound": 15,
    "noMelee": true,
    "damage": 80,
    "shoot": "<YourModName>:GenericLaser",
    "shootSpeed": 15,
    "mana": 5,
    "autoReuse": true,

"recipes":
    [{
        "items": { "Dirt Block": 1 },
        "creates": 1
    }]
}

I hope this helps a little bit.

Thanks alot! :) this has helped me quite a bit, the ONLY problem now is with the dust disappearing after shooting continually for a few seconds.

BUT I'm ALOT closer than I was before :) So thanks again!

No problem, if you need any help with making any other projectiles, you can refer to my mod here, although it is still a work in progress.

Back
Top Bottom