Portfolio/Multi-Topic Collection of Suggestions

Pitri

Official Terrarian
Hey, Guys.

For the last months there were some terraria ideas appearing in my head, I think I have to create a collection thread for these. They're mostly small Ideas, but not related to eachother. I think a big thread with all the ideas is better than a dozend small threads that contain about 2-3 lines of text.

Map Station
So One thing that came im mind is a map station. When you right click the map station you get 2 buttons:
  1. Write: Saves your minimap data on the device. If there's already data stored, the discovered areas will merge together.
  2. Read: Saves the data from the device in your minimap. Also merges with the already existing data.

The initial thought was to have a way to add the minimap progress with your friends in multiplayer.
But there's also a reason to have this in singleplayer. If you have multiple characters (for instance a fishing character, that has the best fishing equipment and a fishing armor) this can be nice to load the map data from the main char to the others.

Terraria_MapStation.png

My concept for the look of the device: 6 small maps (resembling the full map) are hanging at the wall and on the floor is a small table where the maps can be drawn. Of course it should be colored, this is only a concept. What it actually looks like is pretty irrelevant, it's only how I imagine it.

All this system would need is another minimap file for a world (or a integrated data part for minimap in the .wld file)
It would be great when the device could be available from the beginning, so it shouldn't require hardmode items or stuff like that. Maybe some silk (for the maps), wood (for the writing table) and black ink (or the resulting black dye; for the ability to draw) from the ocean.

More stuff to reforge
I always liked the idea of reforging stuff. So I would really like it, if you could reforge more stuff. The Reforgements should only do small changes. For instance:
  1. Armor: Strong, Weak (defense bonus/malus), ...
  2. Grappling Hooks: Long, Short (affects the length of the hook), Fast, Slow (affects the speed), imprecise (malus, creates a direction difference of a few degrees), ...
  3. Mounts: Fast, Slow, ...
  4. Light Sources: Bright, Dark, ...

I think you get the idea.

Special item slots
Speaking of items like hooks, light sources and mounts... I know this will be the suggestion that will encounter the most disagreement, because it's a change in the GUI. But I'll still give it a try:

I thought it would be a nice feature to have a few special slots for special items. It's only one slot per type, so you put in your default thing. The slots would be arranged near the inventory, but separated. Instead of only having the hotbar filled my character has the top two rows filled with stuff like that. I would really like to have an intended slot for these things, so they don't block valuable space in my inventory.
  1. Fishing Rod
  2. Grappling Hook
  3. Light Source
  4. Mount
  5. Pet
And since I thought about a hotkey for every slot (or almost every slot. Pet and light source will still be used with B), it will work well together with this idea.

And finally one small thing:
Consistent item stack sizes
There are items that have a stack size of 99, other items can stack up to 100. I think it's a shame, it looks a bit chaotic like this. So my suggestion is that every stack cap (ending on 9) should be rounded up to 10. The old 99-stacks from terraria 1.1 will be 100, the 999 stacks will be 1000 (I assume you developers didn't want to get up to a 4 digit number, but you could mark this as an exceptional status and instead of displaying "1000" you could simply use "1k". It's more compact and everyone knows that it's not inteded to get higher).

I would apprechiate having rounded stack caps, it's a lot easier to estimate how many items in the chest are and overall it's much cleaner.

If you're interested, there's also my first suggestion thread: Reserved NPC apartements.

That's all for the moment. Maybe more things will follow in extra posts (and then edited into this post). I have still a lot of ideas in process.
What do you think? What are your favourite ideas? What would you try to improve?

Last edited:
Special item slots could have some use, I rarely get to use things like the fishing rod and the mount summon, and they take up valuable space when exploring.
Reforging stats for mounts, fishing rods, and grappling hooks also has my support.

Back
Top Bottom