Biomes & Nature Comets- a Meteorite alt

stormconure

Duke Fishron
Thanks to DJFlare for the idea!

Hey guys, it's me stormconure, and I'm back with the third installment of the Frozen Hell Project. It was suggested to me that since fiery meteorites kind if go with Hellstone, and Froststone doesn't, then I should also make an icy alt to meteorite: comets.

If you didn't get to see the original thread about frozen hell, here is the link:
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/when-hell-freezes-over-an-underworld-alt.2026/

Comets act exactly the same as meteorites, generating in exactly the same way, with the same chances, mechanics, and everything. The only difference is the actual ore that spawns: comet shards. Stepping on these inflict Freezing (see When Hell Freezes Over for an explanation, if you haven't already). They require the same pickaxe power as meteorite to mine, and like Froststone, using and Insulator (or any of its upgrades) will negate the Freezing debuff. As in Meteorites, a single enemy spawns very commonly: the meteor heads are replaced by Comet Heads (can anyone think of a better name?).

Alternatively, if the idea is implemented that hell freezes over in hardmode, this will generate randomly instead of meteorites, not based on the underworld.

Comet Head: 35 damage, very slow speed, may inflict Frostburn, 4 defense, 30 HP.

Of course, the whole point of meteorites (and now comets) is the actual ore.
Comet Bar: smelted from 3 comet shards.

Weapons/Tools
——————————
Comet Blaster: 35 magic damage, average speed. Fires a slow-moving freezing bolt similar to Water Bolt. Crafted from 30 comet bars and 2 fallen stars.

Comet Hamaxe: crafted from 35 comet bars. Same as meteor variant, with different sprite.

Star cannon and phaseblade can now be crafted with comet instead of meteorite.

Armor: Comet Armor: crafted the same as meteor armor, but with comet bars. Leaves a dust trail when you walk. Each piece gives a -5% mana usage bonus. Set bonus makes Comet Blaster cost 0 mana.

Comet Shot: crafted from 70 musket balls and 1 comet bar. 8 damage, very fast velocity, can't bounce. 30% chance to inflict chilled.

What do you think?

Last edited:
You're very welcome. Got some ideas to throw at you about this one, too.

Comet Shot - Perhaps remove the bouncing so that the chilling aspect doesn't make it necessarily better than Meteor Shot. I never liked the idea of alternative biomes having better stuff than originals (like how Crimson stuff is better than Corruption stuff currently FFFFFFFFF).

Comet Blaster - Maybe make the Comet Blaster something that fires a single, powerful projectile at a slow rate as opposed to the Space Gun firing rapid, weak shots.

You're very welcome. Got some ideas to throw at you about this one, too.

Comet Shot - Perhaps remove the bouncing so that the chilling aspect doesn't make it necessarily better than Meteor Shot. I never liked the idea of alternative biomes having better stuff than originals (like how Crimson stuff is better than Corruption stuff currently FFFFFFFFF).

Comet Blaster - Maybe make the Comet Blaster something that fires a single, powerful projectile at a slow rate as opposed to the Space Gun firing rapid, weak shots.
Ok, i will think about that. I love the idea of "different but equal" biomes.[DOUBLEPOST=1412796960][/DOUBLEPOST]I just changed those two to be more balanced with meteorite.

The big logical problem I see with this is that comets only orbit, they don't impact. However, other than that this is a pretty neat idea so far, and would go nicely with your Hell Frozen Over idea.

Well we could use another alternative
I like the "Ice Instead Of Fire" thing you got going m8 C:

Last edited:
With comets and frozen underworld the game becomes Snowraria... But it isn't bad thing :D
Name better than Comet Head... err... maybe, Cometoid? :) (damn, and that is best I can think about?! :D)
Star cannon and phaseblade can now be crafted with comet instead of meteorite.
The only sad thing with all alternative materals... It expands crafting list A LOT :( (<-yeah, unhappy Guide). It would be better if comet and meteorite ore can be smelted into one type of Bars...

With comets and frozen underworld the game becomes Snowraria... But it isn't bad thing :D
Name better than Comet Head... err... maybe, Cometoid? :) (damn, and that is best I can think about?! :D)

The only sad thing with all alternative materals... It expands crafting list A LOT :( (<-yeah, unhappy Guide). It would be better if comet and meteorite ore can be smelted into one type of Bars...
Snowraria? Remember this also replaces snow biomes with volcanoes. As for the type of bar, frozen comets and burning meteorites are completely different things.

Snowraria? Remember this also replaces snow biomes with volcanoes. As for the type of bar, frozen comets and burning meteorites are completely different things.
But it still 'two versus one!' Oh, maybe volcanoes can join side with deserts... And yes, thats the problem with bars... But because of that we can have some unique equipment, like Comet Blaster.
To differentiate them further from comets, they could spawn with water inside as well.
Such small addition, but i like it... sounds really interesting!

I've never been a fan of biomes that have a chance of replacing an existing biomes... maybe it could be like a hardmode meteorite instead of an alternate?

I'm sorry, but this too much like the Meteorite. There's almost no differences, except for theme.

No support.

Back
Top Bottom