PC Commander Keen

Greetings fellow Terrarians,
I started building the old jump-and-run classic "Commander Keen" in Terraria.
Original:
001.gif

Built Version:
IMG-20160224-WA0000.jpg
And now I started wondering if anyone was interested in this project besides myself...
Or do you even know what Commander Keen is?
My question now is: When I finish the first game, should I upload it to Curse or is it not worth the effort?
I'd like to know what you think.

SchrobZen [ʃroʊb'zen]

Last edited:
@UP, it's an old platformer game which was pretty difficult and it had various puzzles if I recall correctly, I've played it when I was much much younger.

Anyway, looks interesting. It gives some nostalgic feeling.

My question now is: When I finish the first game, should I upload it to Curse or is it not worth the effort?
Post it to the forums - attach it as a file to your thread. You may also want to check out the Ingame Creations subforum if you plan on taking your project further.

I don't even know what that is. What system is it for?
It was an old game for MS-DOS / Windows 95. It made its way to some other platforms as well. I remember there was a Commander Keen game on GBA that - no joke - didn't even save your progress or have save files. By the time the GBA was released, we were long past the age where we needed codes to resume progress.

GOG doesn't seem to have Commander Keen in its catalogue. It seems like an obvious contender for it. Time to check if it's a requested game!

Time to check if it's a requested game!
It is last time I checked, I think many people want them, but it's probably not on GoG because the current rights holder might be a :red: about it.
The Commander Keen: Invasion of the Vorticons trilogy is still owned by id Software I think (which would now be... ZeniMax? Who are indeed :red:s.). Same for the 'Goodbye Galaxy' keen games (The 4th and 5th games).

They're available on Steam though. Dunno how that'll work. Do they also use DosBox, like GoG? No idea. Probably. I wish they made Windows widescreen versions, that'd be awesome.
Keen Dreams (Keen 3.5) is also available on Steam, not included with the rest since it was made/published by a different development team.
Aliens ate my Babysitter was also developed by a different company and I think this one is hard to get your hands on legally. No idea who owns the rights. I don't think this one is for sale anywhere at all.

I'm glad I still have all of them around. Best platformers ever, especially 'Secret of the Oracle' (Keen 4). Played them to near-death.

@SchrobZen: Dunno if it's worth playing these maps, since Terraria is ofcourse a very different game, but it makes for nice nostalgic art at least. ;)

OK
UPDATE-TIME:
I finished all the levels. The only thing that's missing is the Story around it and some cosmetic changes...

Ok here are some features:
This is how the world map looks like (in game screencap)

The Teleporters take you to the levels, this is an example:
Capture 2016-04-14 19_19_34.png

The door at the end takes you to the score-room:
Capture 2016-04-14 19_21_09.png
You put the items you collected in the chests and thake the money out.
And for 2 Platinum you can buy an extra life in form of an clothier-voodoo-doll.

And because in the original Commander Keen you die immidietly on contcect I put a Life-Reduction in:
Capture 2016-04-14 19_20_15.png

You just stand at the very right of that passage and run for your life :D
That's all for now. I'm happy to see such feedback!

SchrobZen [ʃroʊb'zen]

P.S. I don't know when it will be released, because my semestre just began so my time is limited, but I'll try my best.

Oh man, this could only mean that we might hopefully be getting Wolfenstein 3D and Doom somehow ported to Terraria, that'd be great to see, but I'll wait for this to be completed because it looks to be one of the most accurate game-themed maps out there so far!
1171952379.png

Back
Top Bottom