Official Community Poll - Removal of Most Likes/Messages Tabs

Should the Most Messages/Most Likes tabs be removed from the Members page?

• YES - I support removal of BOTH of these tabs

Votes: 279 43.3%
  • NO - I want the tabs to remain visible as they are

Votes: 366 56.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a difference between having a differing opinion on a subject, versus skipping over parts of the subject to make a point.
I wouldn't say I was skipping them, I just didn't adress them.
Besides, why would you say someone is 'skipping over parts' of the subject, if that is not their opinion? You don't hear Trump-haters talk about his good parts, do you?
Anyway, this is really starting to derail what this thread is about so ima stop with this ;p

I vote for removal of the tabs. I see no real reason for them to remain, or any actual use for them - I didn't ever look into them. I do not think that they promote spamming, though; they are just useless IMO, so there's no point in keeping them.

I'll only vote as once as I know if the people who got Warning Points for Like-Abuse will get their Points removed if the tabs do go.

I'll only vote as once as I know if the people who got Warning Points for Like-Abuse will get their Points removed if the tabs do go.

No, no one will be having their warning marks removed, abusing likes will still be against the rules.

No, no one will be having their warning marks removed, abusing likes will still be against the rules.
Then I vote that the tabs should stay since the only reason they abused likes was to get higher-up on the tab, defeats the whole purpose of the abusing likes rule.

Then I vote that the tabs should stay since the only reason they abused likes was to get higher-up on the tab, defeats the whole purpose of the abusing likes rule.
Like spamming and message grinding happened in TerrariaOnline, much before leaderboards too. Nothing will change here. The tabs currently give nothing but a much bigger incentive towards the practice.

Like spamming and message grinding happened in TerrariaOnline, much before leaderboards too. Nothing will change here. The tabs currently give nothing but a much bigger incentive towards the practice.
Yeah, so if nothing changes, then what's even the point of this poll?

Yeah, so if nothing changes, then what's even the point of this poll?
(probably didn't notice the edit)

I still highly doubt that anybody is "incentivized" to farm likes, because seriously? The lowest person on the list has some 8,000+ likes IIRC.

There's no way, even someone like me who's been here from the start who already has a couple K towards it is ever going to get up to ~8,000 without doing something that will get me warning points or bans.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out, and most of the people on that list are people who know better already, and/or people who don't seem to post here anymore.

Like-farm threads can easily be moderated (it takes but a few seconds to lock a thread and hand out some warning points) and the lesson would surely quickly be taught, and repeat offenders can be banned.

And as others have said... Like E-peen will remain even after removal of the tabs. It will remain until/unless we remove the Like option altogether.

Or, how about this? Some people argue that Likes on posts show support? Okay, allow Post Liking, but hide the Message and Like Count on profiles. If you can't see how many likes you have, then you're not gonna farm Likes at all, but yet you can still post a helpful post and get 5+ likes on it.

Just because I see a lot of people really getting bogged down into extended debates here . . . the vote will determine the course of action, not the person who "wins the argument". So really, arguing too hard for one course of action or another isn't going to sway the actual course of action, thus its probably not worth investing too much effort in. :) Just some food for thought.

Just because I see a lot of people really getting bogged down into extended debates here . . . the vote will determine the course of action, not the person who "wins the argument". So really, arguing too hard for one course of action or another isn't going to sway the actual course of action, thus its probably not worth investing too much effort in. :) Just some food for thought.

I was just putting out the suggestion for removing the Like Count. I think it's a good idea. It'd be far more effective than removing those tabs, afterall. If you can't see how many Likes you (or anybody else for that matter) got, then you ain't gonna farm them. But yet, you can still "Like" posts to show that they are helpful/fun/etc.

That, and people who haven't voted but are reading the debate might be swayed one way or the other. *shrug* But by now, probably most of them already voted. Still, though, if removal of the Like count is possible, I'd like that to be considered.

I still highly doubt that anybody is "incentivized" to farm likes, because seriously? The lowest person on the list has some 8,000+ likes IIRC.

There's no way, even someone like me who's been here from the start who already has a couple K towards it is ever going to get up to ~8,000 without doing something that will get me warning points or bans.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out, and most of the people on that list are people who know better already, and/or people who don't seem to post here anymore.

Like-farm threads can easily be moderated (it takes but a few seconds to lock a thread and hand out some warning points) and the lesson would surely quickly be taught, and repeat offenders can be banned.

And as others have said... Like E-peen will remain even after removal of the tabs. It will remain until/unless we remove the Like option altogether.

Or, how about this? Some people argue that Likes on posts show support? Okay, allow Post Liking, but hide the Message and Like Count on profiles. If you can't see how many likes you have, then you're not gonna farm Likes at all, but yet you can still post a helpful post and get 5+ likes on it.
Yes, I'm the kind of person who gives up easily and will just "get there if ever I accidentally get there", but people in MMO grind still regardless of how :red:ed and time consuming the grind is. I don't see that stopping anyone from twisting the rules to their limit just to rack up more score.

"Most of the people on that list are people who know better already", highly disagree, everyone is subconsciously affected by simply knowing of being on that list, or possibly near it, just because they don't act highly while specifically referring to it doesn't mean they are not influenced by their "higher status". Popularity can easily drive people towards doing really stupid stuffs, the popular opinions get backed by the majority and the popular people usually make these opinions. "If they are that popular, then clearly their opinion matters more".

I'm not in favor of removing likes entirely as it will lead people into making useless "I agree" posts. The "hide like count" option, I agree with, but it might be a problem software-wise and it's really pushing the change on a matter that already sees an almost even number of opposers.

That, and people who haven't voted but are reading the debate might be swayed one way or the other. *shrug* But by now, probably most of them already voted. Still, though, if removal of the Like count is possible, I'd like that to be considered.
That, and you can also change your vote if ever you decide to.
If my debating is potentially going to lead more people to my side, I will debate.This is a choice based solely on popular demand and clearly the better backed argument has the upper hand.

Removing the Like button completely is not an option, period. It is inextricably tied into how Xenforo works, and it is here to stay.

Removing the leaderboard tabs will not excuse the people who have abused the feature in the past, nor will it give permission for people to abuse it in the future.

Removing the Like button completely is not an option, period. It is inextricably tied into how Xenforo works, and it is here to stay.

Removing the leaderboard tabs will not excuse the people who have abused the feature in the past, nor will it give permission for people to abuse it in the future.

Seems to me that Xenforo needs to make their forum systems more customizable. Can't change this, can't change that, can't even change what elements are/are not displayed...

Sounds more and more like Xenoforo is just too restrictive to use and you're forced into using features you don't want.

And BTW, my suggestion wasn't really to move the Like button (I said that in the past, but I changed my idea), but rather to hide the Like Count in a person's profile.

I'll also bring up another issue if I'm allowed to, and at this point editing my previous post will just get the edit go unnoticed, but I believe this is a matter worth mentioning.

When it will come up to contests, how will we deal with them?

Two entries of equal quality are posted, one of the authors happens to be a member on the most liked tab. Who do you think will win? Even if the votes are up to moderators only, they are still users at core and affected by the same amount of bias.

Honestly, last thing I want is contests to be rigged by the most popular. Removing the tabs will not change the habit, but sure it will cut down the popularity growth of people who clearly already have enough.

I honestly see only cons and no pros in keeping the tabs.

EDIT: I also hope mods can keep track of the IP and whoever voted and at what time because I'd rather not loose to some salty individual creating thousands of alt accounts just to rig the poll.

Last edited:
I voted yes

My reason is because it's a leaderboard. That's one of the basis in which people will just want to compete with others on how large of a like count, or a post count, they have. The forums is not a competition, and I feel that such things should not exist in a forum.

Yes, I'm well aware that it's a core feature of Xenforo that can't be removed, but that does not matter. This should be an option, not a feature. And as with every option, it must be a thing that can be disabled or enabled as the forum creator wishes.

That said, in the end, whether it's kept up or brought down isn't really a big deal, so I'm not too bothered. The leaderboards isn't there to steal my left lung, and removing it isn't like removing my left lung.

Voting yes, because people act childishly over the amount of likes/post they have, and compete with who has the most.
Also, with the competition effectively gone out of this forum, I'll once again be the supreme ruler with my 27K likes on TO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom