Completely confused about sprite editing in Terraria

Sheba

Official Terrarian
I think I'm in the right forum here. Maybe. Possibly. Maybe I'm also just dumb - if I am, please shoo me into the right direction.

I want to do some visual edits to the player sprite for a bee item run I wanna do. After checking the forums, I saw that there was a mod for it, so that part is (hopefully...I never used a mod in Terraria before) covered. I also made pixel sprite art, so that also isn't the problem.

After unpacking the XNB files into PNG now, I am, however completely lost. Everything is in gray instead of in color, the PNG with the player head has like the same head over and over again and I just... can't tell which one I need to edit, if I need to leave it in white/gray, what to do. Also there's the matter that all the other body parts seem to be in separate images, to the point where it's absolutely impossible for me to tell what part of the body they belong to and if I need to edit them. For example, there's Player_0_2 which seems to be just two pixels over and over. I suspect it's a file for the eyes, but I am not sure. As I want to change eye shape a lot, I don't know if I have to edit this file or not since it doesn't tell me anywhere what it's about. Sadly, the instructions that came with the mod were also very lacking and just said "place the edited sprites into the folder", so yup, I'm helpless.

I looked around on the forum a lot, but all the tutorials seem to be about what programs to use to make sprites. I don't need that as I work with Photoshop and know my way around that. I need a tutorial about what files to edit and in what way (all of the images in it? Just one of them? Keep them in certain gray hues?). Given how lost I am, I suppose adding extra limbs might be too difficult for me at this point, but I want to edit at least the head.

Can anyone here explain to me in simple ways (I'm not a native English speaker) or give me a link to where I need to go? Thanks so much! :)

You need to make all heads, it isn't just for joke there. If you combine somehow all (chest, legs, arms and head) parts into layers you will see they put into animation even they doesn't seem to.

Yes, Player_1 is part of eye that isn't affeceted by choiced colour. 0_2 is part of yes that is affeceted by eye colour.
They are in grascale so you can add colour value to them. New Akhalis's developer set is using it, for fun fact and is other vanity set that is using it.

+You have to make them all
1. Standing point.
2,3,4,5. USing item, holding items
5. jumping point
6 and all bellow- running and walking animation.

Back
Top Bottom