Weapons & Equip Completely rework the Brain of Confusion

Which do you prefer?

• Make fewer enemies immune to confusion, and/or no longer require getting hit to activate.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Change the Brain's effect to something informational, like Hunter+Dangersense+Spelunker.

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Have the Brain reduce the mana cost of spellbooks to zero.

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • Change to Brain's effect to a short duration of Shadow Dodge upon being hit.

Votes: 18 45.0%

• Total voters
The fact that you immediately made a strategy around this tells me that this change would be a good thing. Though I think you could probably do that with just a Star Statue, anyways.
I'm not sure how you got from point A to B there bacon. Removing the mana cost on already broken weapons doesn't create strategies, it creates exploits.

The fact that you immediately made a strategy around this tells me that this change would be a good thing. Though I think you could probably do that with just a Star Statue, anyways.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for innovative strategies and cheesing but this is sort of a one size fits all problem solver for prehardmode.

The best solution for exploring, for bossing, for invasions and extremely time efficient and easy as well. You don’t actually have to think or plan that much you just M1 24/7 like an ape.

Hey, if someone can consistently avoid taking damage for more than 10 seconds in combat, I don't think mana cost is going to hold them back. If you compare this to the Mana Flower, then having spellbooks cost 0 mana translates into no more than a DPS upgrade.

Hey, if someone can consistently avoid taking damage for more than 10 seconds in combat, I don't think mana cost is going to hold them back. If you compare this to the Mana Flower, then having spellbooks cost 0 mana translates into no more than a DPS upgrade.
A dps upgrade is the single most significant thing one can give

It's the brain of confusion and shadow dodge is basically mobs going after the duplicates and not you, so it makes sense for it to apply shadow dodge.
However, this would also mean my SotC buff idea from a few months back would need to be applied because the reason the brain is so bad is because of how the Vampire Knives are ridiculously OP.

Probably because the Brain's awfulness is meant to offset the insane usefulness of the Vampire Knives. Personally I disagree with that viewpoint. I think all content in the game deserves to be at least moderately useful.

And I think the SotC is a fine weapon. It is a bit better than the Possessed Hatchet in most situations you'd use a Possessed Hatchet for. If you want to talk about an obvious inequality between Corruption and Crimson, then let's talk about the Flasks first.

Um, pardon me if someone's said this already...but aren't accessories supposed to get better as you progress?

Going along with that logic, Brain of Confusion is a rather early game accessory you can get so it would make sense that it's bad, though I DO agree that the Brain of Confusion PALES in comparison to the Worm Scarf (seeing as many monsters are immune to Confusion and that it's a terrible debuff anyway), I feel as though we went from making the Brain of Confusion from worthless to a Best In Slot for mages... kind of a jump.

My idea is this:

Name: Brain of Confusion -> Mind's Eye
Effect: 60% chance to confuse enemies upon getting hit -> See enemies brightly within ~15 blocks through walls (in a Hunter Potion way) and boost critical hit chance by 10%

but aren't accessories supposed to get better as you progress?
Surprisingly, the answer is no. All accessories, whether earlygame or lategame, should ideally carry some sort of universal appeal. And you can see that through examples like the Frog Leg, Hermes Boots, and Worm Scarf, which are useful throughout the game.

Earlygame accessories are upgraded by combining into each other to conserve accessory slots, but the effects themselves are not upgraded. And if an accessory is Expert-exclusive, it won’t be part of a crafting tree, so it ought to pull its weight on its own, no?

The worm scarf in itself is also just a better Flesh Knuckles, Shackle, or Frozen Turtle Shell. So it's not so different to the Mana Flower comparison.
The flesh knuckles are for the enemy attraction, the shackle for the mana cuffs, and the frozen turtle... needs to be returned to it's original design, it's current useless.

I use it with the beetle armor, and it works better (For the celestial events anyway. (I only used them in that case)) than the melee weapons I had.

If you prioritize defense so much that you use the Razorblade Typhoon while wearing melee armor, you’re probably not too good at dodging, and you’re not going to benefit from an accessory that awards unlimited mana to those who can avoid being hit for 10 seconds. As we were discussing several posts back.

If you prioritize defense so much that you use the Razorblade Typhoon while wearing melee armor, you’re probably not too good at dodging, and you’re not going to benefit from an accessory that awards unlimited mana to those who can avoid being hit for 10 seconds. As we were discussing several posts back.
Dang even the OP is getting in on the blood-bath.

Back
Top Bottom