Music Composing Music for Mods (Terraria Style)

Do you think this post is useful?

• Total voters

RamiroBandicoot

Terrarian
As the title says, I'd like to work composing music for mods (Obviously free :p). I had been hearing & hearing the soundtrack of Terraria and I tried my best pulling off the style from Scott Lloyd Shelly.

This would include any kind of theme (Like Biome/s, Boss, Event, Etc).
In the other hand, you may need some patience. Although I like to compose, this also could take some time. That's why doing it may help me improve my skills as an "inexperienced" composer.

Enough Talk. Here are some music I already compose for this style:

• This will be the theme for Terra lord from Pumpking's mod, if nothing goes wrong.
    Link: https://soundcloud.com/ramirobandicoot/track1

Short Explanation: With my first theme, I wanted to explore the style that bosses have in general (More likely Boss1, Boss2, Boss3 & Golem). This themes all make sudden changes of instrumentation & melody.
  • I post this for the crystilium mod, but the modder didn't seem to answer my comment. I don't blame him, his mod already have original music.
    Link: https://soundcloud.com/ramirobandicoot/track2

Short Explanation: Why would I do music for a mod that already have original music? Because I wanted to give the atmospherical effect that Terraria gives to the player. Also this theme was for an Underground biome, how couldn't you include the part that (almost) all underground biomes shares from the original theme. Also this version is newer than the one I sent in the Crystilium Post. It could be fun to compose an overworld/biome theme for this.
    This means this theme it's available.

• This will be the Boss theme for regular (It was originally planned for Satan's Skull) bosses for Bmod.
    Also, This will be for the Pumpking's Horseman boss from Pumpking mod.
    Link: https://soundcloud.com/ramirobandicoot/bmod-satansskull

Short Explanation: Well if you pay attention, this theme is practically composed from fragments of other themes. In this order (Boss 4 -> Lunar Event -> Boss4 -> Lunar Boss -> Dungeon).
  • Now, This will be the theme for Satan's Skull.
    Link: https://soundcloud.com/ramirobandicoot/bmod-satansskull-v20

Short Explanation: Simple, I tried to do something similar to the plantera boss.

Is that all? Sadly yes, but I have music that can resemble this style, before trying to work with a mod itself. This two tracks, could have less Terraria-ish elements than the other ones. This themes will have a lower volume, say thanks to my audio plugin.
  • I was looking for an underground theme, but could be for anything.
    Link: https://soundcloud.com/ramirobandicoot/pretrack1

Short Explanation: My objective was to make many modulations without sounding bad? as the game does. Also manipulating sounds was my other objective.

• This have an arabic style, so anything that have to do with the desert biome can work (I think).
    Link: https://soundcloud.com/ramirobandicoot/pretrack2

Short Explanation: Not much to say of it. I wanted to focus in a desert vibe.
I'd be glad If I can help anyone musically.
Software/Elements Used: Fl Studio (+Plugins), Kontakt VST (Many Libraries),Korg, DaHornet & some 8bit VST's, random sources with weird sound/noises.

There could be any kind of mistake here (Being my first post that the light touch), comment if you find one xD.
Have a nice day! =D

Last edited:
As the title says, I'd like to work composing music for mods (Obviously free :p). I had been hearing & hearing the soundtrack of Terraria and I tried my best pulling off the style from Scott Lloyd Shelly.

This would include any kind of theme (Like Biome/s, Boss, Event, Etc).
In the other hand, you may need some patience. Although I like to compose, this also could take some time. That's why doing it may help me improve my skills as an "inexperienced" composer.

Enough Talk. Here are some music I already compose for this style:

• This will be the theme for Terra lord from Pumpking's mod, if nothing goes wrong.
    Link: https://soundcloud.com/ramirobandicoot/track1

Short Explanation: With my first theme, I wanted to explore the style that bosses have in general (More likely Boss1, Boss2, Boss3 & Golem). This themes all make sudden changes of instrumentation & melody.
  • I post this for the crystilium mod, but the modder didn't seem to answer my comment. I don't blame him, his mod already have original music.
    Link: https://soundcloud.com/ramirobandicoot/track2

Short Explanation: Why would I do music for a mod that already have original music? Because I wanted to give the atmospherical effect that Terraria gives to the player. Also this theme was for an Underground biome, how couldn't you include the part that (almost) all underground biomes shares from the original theme. Also this version is newer than the one I sent in the Crystilium Post. It could be fun to compose an overworld/biome theme for this.

Is that all? Sadly yes, but I have music that can resemble this style, before trying to work with a mod itself. This two tracks, could have less Terraria-ish elements than the other ones. This themes will have a lower volume, say thanks to my audio plugin.
  • I was looking for an underground theme, but could be for anything.
    Link: https://soundcloud.com/ramirobandicoot/pretrack1

Short Explanation: My objective was to make many modulations without sounding bad? as the game does. Also manipulating sounds was my other objective.

• This have an arabic style, so anything that have to do with the desert biome can work (I think).
    Link: https://soundcloud.com/ramirobandicoot/pretrack2

Short Explanation: Not much to say of it. I wanted to focus in a desert vibe.
I'd be glad If I can help anyone musically.
Software/Elements Used: Fl Studio (+Plugins), Kontakt VST (Many Libraries), Korg & some 8bit VST's, random sources with weird sound/noises.

There could be any kind of mistake here (Being my first post that the light touch), comment if you find one xD.
Have a nice day! =D
Can you do a theme for satan's skull from bmod plz?(which I want it to sound sinister and like it would belong in a place like hell)(btw I believe tmodloader has like a 30 second limit)
Satan's Skull:
Satan's Skull Mouth Edit.png

Can you do a theme for satan's skull from bmod plz?(which I want it to sound sinister and like it would belong in a place like hell)(btw I believe tmodloader has like a 30 second limit)
Satan's Skull: View attachment 151558
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure I heard themes with even 2 minutes of duration. It is also because it could be very repetitive or overwhelming if it is slow to kill to hear it.

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure I heard themes with even 2 minutes of duration. It is also because it could be very repetitive or overwhelming if it is slow to kill to hear it.
its a limitation with tmodloader or atleast with my coder though it mightve been 45 seconds or a minute and not 30 seconds

Is it ok to make something in between 45:00 & 01:00?
And If you could give me as many details as possible of how is the battle, or a video, to know if I have to do something fast placed or not, etc.
Thanks! I can't wait to start composing! :p

Is it ok to make something in between 45:00 & 01:00?
And If you could give me as many details as possible of how is the battle, or a video, to know if I have to do something fast placed or not, etc.
Thanks! I can't wait to start composing! :p
Yeah. and I dont remember info for that and I dont got footage of that fight. but Im pretty sure its hard for fast paced to sound menacing like this song is meant to be. and I do remember that he has 6 hands and when his hands break they turn into a flamethrower hand.

Yeah. and I dont remember info for that and I dont got footage of that fight. but Im pretty sure its hard for fast paced to sound menacing like this song is meant to be. and I do remember that he has 6 hands and when his hands break they turn into a flamethrower hand.
Thanks, I already started composing. I have to remind you that I cannot assure when is going to be finished the theme :S.

Can you give some VSTs you used? Or some presets? I'm interested in making terraria themed music. ^~^

Can you give some VSTs you used? Or some presets? I'm interested in making terraria themed music. ^~^
Well, I use Sytrus, Harmor (From FL) & M1 (From Korg) for pads, leads & arps. For 8bit sounds (I also use Sytrus & Harmor), Magical8bitPlug & Medusa. Lastly the most important plugin I forgot to write in my post is daHornet a Vst that Scott Lloyd Shelly actually used.
Hope that this can help you! =D

Ohhh... I'm such an idiot. I forgot about the kontakt's ones. I use String Session Pro, Session Horn Pro, Brass Solo Symphony Series (Is garbage but at least is useful). Action Strikes for sets of percussion. Rise & Hits, for intro effects (I still didn't use any for this but I think it could be useful).
But the drum/percussion, How I said before I use Action Strikes for proffesional sounds, Magical8bitPlug for 8Bit drums & then I download random samples from random pages. I recommend using slicex for loops & always try to experiment with the pitch of the drums.

But keep in mind that I can't say everything I use, because in some of them I used Drumaxx, in other more Kontakt sounds or korg's one, It depends.

Well, I use Sytrus, Harmor (From FL) & M1 (From Korg) for pads, leads & arps. For 8bit sounds (I also use Sytrus & Harmor), Magical8bitPlug & Medusa. Lastly the most important plugin I forgot to write in my post is daHornet a Vst that Scott Lloyd Shelly actually used.
Hope that this can help you! =D
Thanks! I also have Magica8bitPug ;3 I'm not really good with drums, but that's something practice can help. and Sytrus is my favorite out of the FL defaults! I'll check out the other ones. Good luck! ^v^

Musescore is really good if you can read sheet music. Not to mention, you can install soundfonts to get the sound you want.

its been a while but if you want you can join my discord server and help us out. We'd really appreciate it. Check my profile for my mod's links.

Back
Top Bottom