Is it good to add compost?

• Yes, I want to make a good Chlorophyte farm

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No, this makes the game imbalanced

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I think you may add it in a Mod

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hello, I wanted to give you a decent idea of composting acorns into dirt, especially if you don't want to make tons of worlds (instant).

Compost Bins:
CompostBin.png
-How do they work?
simple, you place worms (3 for normal worms, 2 for enchanted glowworms, and 1 for golden worms) plants (wood, except non-natural ones) in a ratio of 3/2/1:1 with wood taking twice the amount of worms but with substantial dirt and seaweed meant 2 dirt from 3 normal worms (acorns, flowers, brewing flowers...) into the compost and reopen so it becomes dirt (33% chance, also you get clay at 33% chance, and possibly a whopping 33% chance for silt) (as for Fireblossom, 60[33 in hardmode]% ash, 40[33 in hardmode] Hellstone, and in hardmode a 33% chance of living flames)(for Shiver Thorn you get the 33% chance of snow, 33% chance of ice, and 33% slush).
-Is it a chest:
-acts like chests (can store everything) but composts only plants (brewing plants, blowpipe seeds [count as plants], sunflower, and of course acorns), wood (except for dynasty, spookywood gives increase in chance) and seaweed (the junk item) with at least 3 worms, 2 enchanted glowworms, or 1 golden worm.
-How do I craft it? and where I find the crafting station suitable for it?
3 Wood and 3 worms at the Woodworking Bench.​

Last edited:
Hmm. It's a cute thought, but I don't think these are items for which renewability is an issue. Dirt is one of if not the most plentiful blocks, and unlike Stone, which is the other, it doesn't have a plethora of uses that consume it. Mud is already easy enough to get thanks to being able to convert dirt to it. Being able to get silt would be far more useful, as that's constantly consumed... but getting one silt at such a slow rate isn't very gratifying, and most people wouldn't really bother.

Thing is... when you really want these items - and I build a lot, so I frequently do - it is far more convenient to make a new world and strip-mine it. With a DCU, you could get a full inventory of whatever materials you want in the time it might take you to compost two or three piddly dirt blocks this way. So while it's nice for a worldbuilding thing, I don't feel it's very practical.

To make this idea at all useful, you'd have to be able to compost much more than one item at a time. Make it fifty or ninety-nine per bin, then it might be worth it.

Last edited:
Hmm. It's a cute thought, but I don't think these are items for which renewability is an issue. Dirt is one of if not the most plentiful blocks, and unlike Stone, which is the other, it doesn't have a plethora of uses that consume it. Mud is already easy enough to get thanks to being able to convert dirt to it. Being able to get silt would be far more useful, as that's constantly consumed... but getting one silt at such a slow rate isn't very gratifying, and most people wouldn't really bother.

Thing is... when you really want these items - and I build a lot, so I frequently do - it is far more convenient to make a new world and strip-mine it. With a DCU, you could get a full inventory of whatever materials you want in the time it might take you to compost two or three piddly dirt blocks this way. So while it's nice for a worldbuilding thing, I don't feel it's very practical.

To make this idea at all useful, you'd have to be able to compost much more than one item at a time. Make it fifty or ninety-nine per bin, then it might be worth it.
It would also be more useful if it was remade into a more generic furniture item that also included items such as snow, ice, sand, hardened sand, and pretty much all non-evil/Hallow natural blocks.

I think a 1:1 plant to dirt ratio would be better. The effect should be instant, like the Extractinator. I know this doesn't match real life, but that's fine. I'd also go for 60% dirt / 40% clay as the output. It would help make building with clay and its recipes more feasible.

I like the idea of Fireblossom giving ash, so you should probably extend that. E.g. Moonglow: 60% mud / 40% clay. Shiverthorn: 60% snow / 40% ice.

Edit: Corrected names. (Thanks to TheWorfer27 for pointing it out!)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom