Maps conceptual thoughts on adventure map making

Loreweaver

Terrarian
so I just recently got into map making using journey mode and have been thrilled with all the possibilities and am currently working on a small map kinda inspired by b-movies in the vein of 'grab a shotgun and shoot waves of monsters'. really simple stuff without puzzles and stuff.

(be warned, I get philosophical about stuff really fast ;) )

for that one I'm turning off monster spawn and having all the baddies spawn via statues, I think I like the idea of having full control over when and if monsters spawn.
naturally I ran into the wiring problem, meaning I didn't know anything about wiring, which I'm in the process of changing and it's a ride in itself to learn all the weird little circuits and stuff you can make with wiring.

just to mention, I haven't played many adventure maps, the ones I can think of are the zelda map, the portal map and some other one I forgot the name.

so as I am building I ran into the issue of progression, since spawning bosses via wiring is very limited and the statues offer some progression but not a whole lot.

to be honest, I forgot the point I was getting at but lemme just ask instead, what kind of progression do you think works best for terraria adventure maps?

I was thinking of making a large map with the regular progression of bosses but with an indirect story being told by the map itself, and where it's not neccessary to mine anything but rather have a gear progression via exploration and puzzles. also that there are prebuilt boss arenas you would have to find all around the map.

from what I got in-game, there also seems to be zero lore. which basically works in favor of adventure maps but all the different bosses aren't easy to fit into one story for an adventure map since they're so wildly different.

anyway, I love the game and journey mode, maybe I'll see if there are suggestions to add more functional statues, which I'd LOVE.

take care y'all

There needs to be more adventure map mods. I'd have made more myself if people showed interest in modded adventure maps, but I know of literally none so far.

to be honest, I tend to stick with the base game just to reach the most people, I recently started thinking about what to do with maps and still keep the playability with vanilla. discovered a video on Tedit, gonna look into that since there seem to be some awesome functions like setting the spawnpoint anywhere.

but yeah, maybe eventually I will look into what the modscene has, but last time I checked tmodloader is still pre 1.4

to be honest, I tend to stick with the base game just to reach the most people, I recently started thinking about what to do with maps and still keep the playability with vanilla. discovered a video on Tedit, gonna look into that since there seem to be some awesome functions like setting the spawnpoint anywhere.

but yeah, maybe eventually I will look into what the modscene has, but last time I checked tmodloader is still pre 1.4
It is, but mods can do a lot, especially with adventure map focus.

It is also possible to mod 1.4 without tModLoader, but it's less flexible.

I think a dedicated map making mod would be really useful, that could include all kinds of mechanics and tools. Like boss spawners and boss kill detectors that work with wiring, more statues, and so on. Stuff that we really should have gotten in vanilla.

To answer your original questions -

When it comes to forcing boss fights, you have to go with an honor system for most bosses. This basically means that the player summons the boss themselves and are honorbound not to proceed before defeating it, even if there is nothing stopping them. It does kind of suck but it's the best we've got.

There's one thing that confused me about your post - is it a linear or an open world map? Like do you proceed from room 1 to room 2 or is it more like a normal Terraria world where you explore instead of mine?

Back
Top Bottom