Weapons & Equip Concerns about the Upcoming Endgame Whip

ABEB0187-2BBF-40B4-9681-77D0915015F3.pngE45699B9-B08C-4041-9C98-9AD5C1F5BF24.pngBCE60555-6984-42CA-9100-55153C4ABCF1.png
19C101EE-6310-4434-91E8-2A38BA96DA30.png
Right off the bat, I want to say that I'm super excited about an Endgame whip being added in 1.4.5! As a Summoner main I've wanted an ultimate whip ever since the new weapon type was introduced. I was even going to suggest the idea for a whip called the Constellation (which you can see some of my concept sprites for above) before Redigit agreed to add a new whip on Twitter. Needless to say that Re-Logic listening to player suggestions and adding a final whip is already amazing. But with that being said I have some concerns about the final whip being themed after one of Moonlord's tentacles.

My first big concern is how the aesthetic of a turquoise tentacle whip won't look very good with the current endgame Summons. The Keildscope looks really good paired with the Terraprisma since they both share the Empress of Light's rainbow look, and if you are using the Stardust Dragon as your final Summon you can use Critter Shampoo and Prismatic dye to make it match the Keildscope. If the final whip was a bright teal color none of the current Summons would pair well visually, even if you used dye. This is especially a problem with the Terrarpisa because no dye can completely cover its rainbow effect. Ideally, an endgame whip would match the look of both the Stardust Dragon and the Terrarpisma without any dye.

My next concern is that a tentacle whip doesn't make a lot of sense alongside the other Moonlord weapons. For a lot of Terraria Bosses, the weapons they drop are supposed to be one of their body parts or are just themed after the Boss. However for the Moonlord, this is not the case, almost all of his weapons have nothing to do with his design. Most of the Moonlord's drops are upgrades/references to other iconic terraria Weapons, are magical artifacts of mass destruction, or are just super fun and creative. The only exception to this pattern is the Lunar Flare and Lunar Portal Staff but even those two weapons aren't based on any of the Moonlord's body parts. I guess what I'm saying is that a tentacle whip would stand out like a sore thumb alongside the other Moonlord drops.

My final concern is that a simple teal whip seems like a step down from the Keildscope and doesn't take full advantage of the potential of an endgame whip. It seems like for Moonlord weapons the sky is the limit since we have a sword that shoots out rainbow cats, a dolphin machine gun, a party rocket launcher of mass destruction, and a literal rainbow death ray. To me, a tentacle whip seems kinda basic and doesn't really compare to any of the other weapons. I do have full faith that Re-Logic could come up with a cool effect to go along with a tentacle whip but if they are going to make an endgame whip I want them to go off the rails and make the craziest weapon they can think of.

Now I do understand that all of these points are kinda nitpicky and mostly about aesthetics. I bet for a lot of players as long as the whip looks pretty cool and does a ton of damage they don't care about these sorts of things. But for me as someone who cares a lot about the look of items, these little details matter a lot. I also understand that for all we know Re-logic has already disregarded the idea of a tentacle whip and has brainstormed up a bunch of possible endgame whips. I just wanted to throw out my worries and feedback just in case any of the devs see this. And finally, part of giving feedback is offering solutions to the problems you point out so here are a couple solutions...

• The color of the whip and its effect could change based on what you have Summoned or with Critter Shampoo.​
  • Critter Shampoo could be made more effective at changing the color of the Terrarprisma.​
  • The whip could have a blue to purple color palette which would pair nicely with the Stardust Dragon, Terrarprisma, and Rainbow Crystal Staff.​
  • The whip could be an upgraded version of the Keildscope similarly to how the Star Wrath and S.D.M.G. are upgrades of the Starfury and Megashark respectively.​

If you got to the end of this thank you for listening to my ramblings, I hope you have a lovely day!:dryadgrin:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom