Console 1.3: A Progress Update on the Road to Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.
A suprising amount of terms have a darker meaning.....ever Seen the origin of the "rule of thumb"? It isnt really pleasant. Yet people use it all the time.

It is only tied to those dark origins if you let it be.....

except "master race" has no positive twist on it at all, and it's still offensive no matter how people use it, it's intentionally used as an insult even in it's supposedly "new" form.

i'm honestly just stunned that there are people defending it... i'm stepping away, cause i'd rather not be involved with it, if you wanna defend horrible things, and you feel good about it, then whatever, i'm just gonna do what the mods said and ignore everyone from here on out. %:sigh:

except "master race" has no positive twist on it at all, and it's still offensive no matter how people use it, it's intentionally used as an insult even in it's supposedly "new" form.

i'm honestly just stunned that there are people defending it... i'm stepping away, cause i'd rather not be involved with it, if you wanna defend horrible things, and you feel good about it, then whatever, i'm just gonna do what the mods said and ignore everyone from here on out. %:sigh:

I dont get the point, rule of thumb really doesnt either.

I'm not defending the phrase either, but rather the people who use it. Its not as if anyone using the phrase "master race" wants to commit a genocide or something o_O

Meh, if you want the "best" gaming platform PC is technically the best. Massive amount of exellent games, virtually all are optimised for pc so most game will probably feel better, hardware etc.

If you want the "best" platform for you then it may not end up being the best for you. Your personal best platform really isnt just based on stats or whatever.

Me personally, I'd absoloutly love a PC. But due to costs (yes, I realise it would ultimatly end up cheaper but I am not able to get the money needed at once for a pc), I'm stuck with a ps4. Not saying saying ps4s are bad, they are nice (love the remotes, and the friends stuff as well as an in system team speak thing is always nice), but for me, a pc would probably be better.

That....and destiny....yeah.

A bit off topic, would anyone else love it if the devs of these consoles stopped wjth the looks, visual upgrades etc for practicallity? My ps4 is annoyingly loud, and even if you want to clean the thing yourself unless you either have the tools or have the money to buy the tools its going to be a pain to clean it....specially if you are like me amd hate messing with the insides of consoles in fear of breaking it and having no console to play on for a while...
pc is the superior in many fields, but with most people, it really is their preference that ends up being the final decision. I like ps4 over xbox though, but I do prefer the xbox controller over the ps4.

Youve had multiple years to catch console up with PC. Dont use the term "game of this scale" to justify a long list of delays and justify laziness. It's your job to ensure a product is released on time and with decent quality.

While this is a great game, asset wise it isnt that deep. Its a 2D block builder with RPG mechanics and a RNG loot system. Not that hard to transfer to a ps4 especially since the primary assets have already been transferred over and youre not adding any substantial difference to the game code. The difference between the current console version and base 1.3 is not huge, its a good size, but nothing that justifies multiple delays.

You have a job, do it. There are video game companys out there that release products and fix issues within a week or even the next day (epic games with fortnite for instance) and their products sell well and are reviewed pretty decently. Ive played both on p.c and console, console is a much more comfortable platform, but for some strange reason gets neglected even though terraria caters more to the casual player which console also primarily appeals to.

There are plenty of reasons this update shouldve been done and console players should be complaining about 1.3.4 not being released yet. This is just lazy.
It is taking so long because they are rebuilding the engine from scratch. No offense, but does anyone actually READ the original post on any of these?

C5w_RM3VUAAwT7r.jpg

Last edited:
Why are people defending this? Theyve clearly gotten lazy. It doesnt take several quarters to port an update from a p.c to a console, even if youre starting from scratch. Especially if youve already done it once. Are they amateurs?

Its either that or laziness, there arnt many other excuses avaliable. Especially considering how easily this game is modded. You have literal amateurs modifying the code and putting in their own assets faster than a professional company can do an update. Is that not embarassing?

They should hire me as a QA tester, I can find exploits and break most games without trying, it's a real talent. All I have to do is figure out the limits of the games engine and then experiment with ways to make amazing things to happen. I've broken fallout 3, fallout new Vegas, dead island, dead island riptide, Zelda oot, Zelda Majora's mask, Skyrim, Mario 64, banjo tooie, halo 3, halo reach, halo 3 odst, and GoldenEye N64.

Last edited:
Why are people defending this? Theyve clearly gotten lazy. It doesnt take several quarters to port an update from a p.c to a console, even if youre starting from scratch. Especially if youve already done it once. Are they amateurs?

Its either that or laziness, there arnt many other excuses avaliable. Especially considering how easily this game is modded. You have literal amateurs modifying the code and putting in their own assets faster than a professional company can do an update. Is that not embarassing?
Yes, it does take several quarters. And no, they haven't already done it, that was another team.

How easily a game is to mod has nothing to do with it's portability. In fact, they're almost the exact opposite thing: modding adds or modifies game content to run on the same architecture, while porting involves maintaining the game's content whilst trying to get it to run on different architecture. Being able to add a new floor to a building doesn't indicate it's also perfectly possible to build the original building in a swamp.

Now, if Pipeworks only had to port the single player experience, then yeah, they should've been done by now (in fact, they would be). But that's not what they're doing: they're ensuring a functional multiplayer experience, compatibility with previous version's saves, a PC similarity for the sake of quicker future updates and more highly technical stuff, all in all while maintaining a high cross-platform portability (porting to different platforms from one code base). That easily takes several quarters, and it's also a lot more difficult to estimate how many resources (e.g. time) that takes than, say, adding a boss.

Game design really isn't as straightforward or easy as it looks (and in my opinion, it doesn't even look straightforward or easy to begin with). Don't bash it until you've tried it.

Well they do have some reasons but it is easy to see how rediculous this has become

Youve had multiple years to catch console up with PC. Dont use the term "game of this scale" to justify a long list of delays and justify laziness. It's your job to ensure a product is released on time and with decent quality.

While this is a great game, asset wise it isnt that deep. Its a 2D block builder with RPG mechanics and a RNG loot system. Not that hard to transfer to a ps4 especially since the primary assets have already been transferred over and youre not adding any substantial difference to the game code. The difference between the current console version and base 1.3 is not huge, its a good size, but nothing that justifies multiple delays.

You have a job, do it. There are video game companys out there that release products and fix issues within a week or even the next day (epic games with fortnite for instance) and their products sell well and are reviewed pretty decently. Ive played both on p.c and console, console is a much more comfortable platform, but for some strange reason gets neglected even though terraria caters more to the casual player which console also primarily appeals to.

There are plenty of reasons this update shouldve been done and console players should be complaining about 1.3.4 not being released yet. This is just lazy.

The team currently rebuilding the game from the ground up is a different team to the ones who originally made the game then updated it. If I'm not wrong the new team only started rebuilding the game near the start of this year.

pc is the superior in many fields, but with most people, it really is their preference that ends up being the final decision. I like ps4 over xbox though, but I do prefer the xbox controller over the ps4.

Really? Never been a fan of xbox controllers to be honest, always loved the playstation ones though.
[doublepost=1506857326,1506857148][/doublepost]

You have read the threads right?

They are litterally remaking the console versions so they are similar to the pc version. They arent just making update 1.3, they are making 1.1, 1.2 etc etc, everything from the beginning to whatever version 1.3.1 or something. Its not exactly like that would just take a few weeks.

you're placing a stereotype on an entire community for 2-3 people's behavior... yet you don't say anything about the PC community despite the massive amount of "PC master race" and "console peasant" stuff that goes on everywhere on the internet, including here?

that totally doesn't sound biased, at all.

another thing, you say your post is about positivity, yet you insult the entire console community... did they change the meaning of that word, recently?

to me, this whole thing just seems like 2-3 people wanting to stir up as much trouble as possible... expressing opinions is one thing, but when every single post is the exact same thing, practically harassing pipeworks, choosing to like posts that only add fuel to the fire, and refusing to like posts that are being reasonable, even to both sides... just furthers the idea that it's all a big trolling attempt.

i just hope the few people spewing venom and radiating toxicity don't discourage pipeworks and make them view the community as not worth the trouble they're going through.

i genuinely feel bad for them, they picked up a project that was handled so poorly up to this point, and are literally rebuilding it from the ground up to make it more stable and easier to expand in the future, yet are getting so viciously attacked, despite them trying their best to make it high quality.

not to mention, anyone who chooses to be reasonable about the situation, are treated as "bootlickers", despite it simply being a case of empathy and understanding.

it's honestly just disgusting to see that kind of behavior, especially in a community that should be more supportive than that.

expressing disappointment is fine, but being venomous and aggressive is just inexcusable, especially toward people who just recently stepped into the picture and are doing everything they can to improve the situation.
Well, I agree with you. I used the word stereotype on purpose you know. Stereotypes are the way people view a classification of people, and are almost always exaggerations. I don't agree with all console players being picky, needy, and aggressive. And of course I didn't mention PC gamers, because I was talking about, and to, console gamers about a console patch. PC gamers had nothing to do with the point I was trying to make.

The few people who are raging about this are furthering the console stereotype, and that's what I was trying to call them out on. I 100% agree with everything you said, even about PC stereotypes.

Sorry if it seemed like I was targeting console gamers like a whole, I was trying to target the particular butthurt posters, though I didn't want to quote them all. I'd just like us all to appreciate that Terraria is still in development. They could have stopped before 1.2 (or earlier) but here we are now, with 1.3.6 on the horizon. Being upset about removed content is one thing, but being upset about release dates is something completely different and unreasonable.

Greetings, Terrarians!

Understandably, we’ve been getting a lot of questions regarding the upcoming console release of 1.3 and wanted to provide an update.

Currently we are working through the final issues/bug list from Re-Logic and Pipeworks QA – as well as any final bits that we need to resolve for Sony and Microsoft certification submission. Parallel to that, we are putting the final touches on optimization and performance for split-screen multiplayer. It has been a challenge getting the authentic PC experience to feel just right in this important format, but we are nearly done there.

Keep in mind that for a game of this scale we need to ensure that the game is properly screened by QA prior to us submitting the update for certification, we don’t want to rush and sacrifice quality for the sake of getting it out sooner. We are hoping to be able to submit for certification in the next few weeks, though there is a good chance this will take a bit longer. That said, we can definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel! Hopefully this should give you a better idea of where the team is currently at. We hope to have additional information with a more solidified date soon – we just need to see how things progress on the final list before we can do so. Of course, if you have any questions feel free to let us know.

Thanks,
The Terraria Team at Pipeworks

Every minute this isn't released, your game is dying. the majority of your fanbase has gotten a lot older and moved away from this game, because there was no new content. At this point you will end up like pokemon go. Next time stick to your release date, even if it won't be perfect.

Every minute this isn't released, your game is dying. the majority of your fanbase has gotten a lot older and moved away from this game, because there was no new content. At this point you will end up like pokemon go. Next time stick to your release date, even if it won't be perfect.

Except there wasn't a release date, it was a goal to have it arrive on that time, which it didn not due to technical problems.

I would say it's hardly dying as well, Terraria is one of the best rated games on Xbox currently, but I can't speak for PS4, as well as for PC being one of the most popular titles on Steam.

For the record too, Quality of product > quickness of product release, is a staple for Re-logic, but wasn't so much of one for Engine, that's why you received buggy releases like 1.2

No,no, no, they are completely scrapping the game and rebuilding the code, so they can make future updates easier. It's like taking a car apart to put in new parts so it runs better later. It takes time, but the end result is worth it. They aren't only porting code, they are starting over.
...Theyve clearly gotten lazy...Its either that or laziness
Since when is it laziness to not get something done on time? I could say "My target date to complete this essay is the 5th, because it's due the 7th," and then work my butt off trying to get it done, only to finish it on the 6th instead.

EDIT:
Why are people defending this?
Finally, we are defending this because we believe that the PW staff is doing their absolute best to get this done on time. Yes we are disappointed, but we know that, in the end, it will be worth it for the faster game updates.

EDIT 2:
I've been playing the console version for the past two years, even though it wasn't getting hardly anything in terms of console. Yes, some people will move on, but the more patient ones will stick around. No offense, but some people just aren't patient enough to wait.

Last edited:
Are they amateurs?

Especially considering how easily this game is modded. You have literal amateurs modifying the code and putting in their own assets faster than a professional company can do an update.

First of all, you call them Amateurs, but then call them Professionals, which is it?

Secondly, that I know of, Console version has no mods, you are referring to PC Version, where they can clearly use much more powerful and easier to use programs and enviornments to make the mods, but we're talking Console here, a harder-to-use codebase, and besides, if they patched up the previous version and Engine's code and their own code, it would be an abomination.

When we say they're building it from scratch, we really mean that... Every :red:ing item in the whole damn game is being removed, and re-added, every single action, code, scrap of UI, everything.

A mod deals with ADDING NEW things, not altering every single thing the game already had to fit with your new mod, or to use your own code.

Comparing adding a mod (in a different, "Creating Mods in Terraria for Dummies" (It's probably about that easy) Environment, and rebuilding the game (that already existed, and isn't just a little bit of content that is new) from scratch is completely unreasonable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom