Console 1.3: A Progress Update on the Road to Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings, Terrarians!

Understandably, we’ve been getting a lot of questions regarding the upcoming console release of 1.3 and wanted to provide an update.

Currently we are working through the final issues/bug list from Re-Logic and Pipeworks QA – as well as any final bits that we need to resolve for Sony and Microsoft certification submission. Parallel to that, we are putting the final touches on optimization and performance for split-screen multiplayer. It has been a challenge getting the authentic PC experience to feel just right in this important format, but we are nearly done there.

Keep in mind that for a game of this scale we need to ensure that the game is properly screened by QA prior to us submitting the update for certification, we don’t want to rush and sacrifice quality for the sake of getting it out sooner. We are hoping to be able to submit for certification in the next few weeks, though there is a good chance this will take a bit longer. That said, we can definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel! Hopefully this should give you a better idea of where the team is currently at. We hope to have additional information with a more solidified date soon – we just need to see how things progress on the final list before we can do so. Of course, if you have any questions feel free to let us know.

Thanks,
The Terraria Team at Pipeworks
Terraria for the Switch? Any news? Getting kinda bored of minecraft, need some Terraria in my life.

At the point 'target' and 'promise' become synonymous.
Go back through their facebook responses, their twitter, even their responses on youtube. There plenty of times where these release timeframes were mentioned as facts, not estimates. When most of the companies community interaction is done through these platforms, and these are the statements that are made, it no longer qualifies as an estimate.

Ehh, the delay is alright with me. Its disappointing, yes, but I'm not a developer, so I wouldn't know how long this stuff takes. Besides, I only play the console version to play split screen with my dad anyway
Edit: If it even is a delay, just a few weeks.

Terraria for the Switch? Any news? Getting kinda bored of minecraft, need some Terraria in my life.

The Nintendo Switch version is getting dealt with around the same time as Mobile is, after Console is released, this has been stated many times by Re-Logic members in this thread.
---> https://forums.terraria.org/index.p...-an-introduction-future-impacts.61935/page-34

Indeed the other updates will come in time... exactly when is TBD, of course. The focus after console 1.3 launch will be mobile and switch... then I imagine the team will have an update plan in place that they can hopefully share with everyone when the time comes.

Go back through their facebook responses, their twitter, even their responses on youtube. There plenty of times where these release timeframes were mentioned as facts, not estimates. When most of the companies community interaction is done through these platforms, and these are the statements that are made, it no longer qualifies as an estimate.
As I've mentioned before, mentioning time frames as facts (through, it should be said, nothing more or less than being a concise answer) does not turn them into facts if the context they are given in is one of "the release date we've initially provided is a target", especially if they're a reiteration of said date. You can't expect any question of "When does 1.3 come out?" (which there are a lot of) to be answered with "Q2 2017 at the earliest, it could be later but we don't expect it to be." every single time, as opposed to simply saying "Q2 2017", just because you want to reiterate a previously stated point (the release date only being a target) ad nauseum.

Imagine if we did that with the weather. We'd start suing meteorologists for 'promising' certain weather and then failing to deliver whenever they say "Tomorrow it's going to be sunny." instead of "Tomorrow it is probably going to be sunny, but it may not be because this is only a prediction.". We don't, however, because we know that even though weather forecasts are presented as facts, they are provided in a context of uncertainty. It's exactly the same thing with release estimates.

As I've mentioned before, mentioning time frames as facts (through, it should be said, nothing more or less than being a concise answer) does not turn them into facts if the context they are given in is one of "the release date we've initially provided is a target", especially if they're a reiteration of said date. You can't expect any question of "When does 1.3 come out?" (which there are a lot of) to be answered with "Q2 2017 at the earliest, it could be later but we don't expect it to be." every single time, as opposed to simply saying "Q2 2017", just because you want to reiterate a previously stated point (the release date only being a target) ad nauseum.

Imagine if we did that with the weather. We'd start suing meteorologists for 'promising' certain weather and then failing to deliver whenever they say "Tomorrow it's going to be sunny." instead of "Tomorrow it is probably going to be sunny, but it may not be because this is only a prediction.". We don't, however, because we know that even though weather forecasts are presented as facts, they are provided in a context of uncertainty. It's exactly the same thing with release estimates.
oh.my.god.why is this still going on!?!? the admins clearly said stop.so maybe you guys should stop.

Cool, only a month or two, so making good headway. I'm excited for the console updates and when the Nintendo switch version coming later this year or early 2018.

While it is a delay, it doesn't seem that it's gonna be a huge delay. Like, maybe a few weeks, at most a month. Not that bad, really. I'm excited!

If you feel this justifies the situation, that is your opinion and you are free to express it. Just as I am of the opinion that they have not lived up to the expectations they have set on multiple occasions. Another delay at this point does nothing but cement my opinion that they are unreliable.

So is the 1.3 delayed or not? You're kinda beating around the bush.
Well, if there projecting a "few" weeks then it might be safe to say they'll be ready to submit by mid October. That's already a delay but we have to take into account the cert time so maybe 1 to 2 weeks and then we're looking at hopefully a late October/early November release.

I'd say that counts as a delay yes. Not a huge one sure, but a definite delay.

I am still pumped for this update. At one point a few years ago it seemed that consoles would never get 1.3. Now it's right around the corner. I will happily wait a few more months if needed.
Pipeworks has done something amazing here and I won't criticize the experts. These things take so much time. Anyone who has even scratched the surface of programming can understand that (one "small" thing can open up waves of hidden issues and bugs).

Keep up the great work. We will be waiting patiently.

Kazzy c'mon, they couldn't even go 2 whole weeks before announcing another delay after already announcing another slight delay. How many more weeks are we supposed to keep waiting now?

I was told a rumor that our current characters would be deleted when this update comes out. I wanted to know if a I would need to store all my stuff in a chest somewhere before the update comes out.

Also, will it be keyboard and mouse compatible? I know a LOT of people wanting this to happen just by searching it online. It's ok if it's not, but yo-yo's will be rather useless to console players if it isn't there.

Delays seem to be the company rule, not the exception.
Yes. Any developer with good judgment would rather make a delay than release an unfinished product. This is how it always is. The quality of the end product is more important than any predicted release window, and Pipeworks isn't unique or unusual for keeping this philosophy.

I was told a rumor that our current characters would be deleted when this update comes out. I wanted to know if a I would need to store all my stuff in a chest somewhere before the update comes out.

Also, will it be keyboard and mouse compatible? I know a LOT of people wanting this to happen just by searching it online. It's ok if it's not, but yo-yo's will be rather useless to console players if it isn't there.
that rumor is false.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom