Console 1.3: A Progress Update on the Road to Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll never understand why people feel the need to throw anger at a company for deciding to delay a game for legitimate reasons and not to compromise quality over convenience.I might begin white knighting Pipeworks here when I don't have any personal experience of their work, but let's put a few things into consideration:
1. Pipeworks has been doing a good job of keeping us up to date with their progress (seriously, the "One Terraria" update wasn't released too long ago and we're already getting another update on the status.) They've been much more consistent with not leaving us in the dark, unlike others have. At least they're decent enough to keep us in the know of what's happening.
2. They're not just simply cutting and pasting stuff here, they're working on, and fixing what I can easily imagine is thousands, if not millions of lines of code... Not only that, they're a new company who was brought into a game already built by another company- Anyone who knows ANYTHING about game design and/or coding knows that no one codes the same, so learning other people's coding methods in an attempt to fix it can be extremely overwhelming and time-consuming.
3. This is, like every single one before it, a FREE update. It's not like you're paying for something that continually gets delayed. Think of the fact that they literally could have said: "we're never going to bring 1.3 to consoles because it's just too much work."
4. If you're really in need for a fix and are tired of the currently built version, there are tons of other supplementary games you can play to keep you entertained until you're ready to come back to Terraria. You don't have to completely abandon it just because it's running into a little trouble.
Pipeworks is trying their hardest to bring us a reliable, working, quality update for Terraria. Game design and building are not easy, and so many people seem to act like it's on the level of simplicity as say... Solving a basic mathematics equation or something. I applaud the understanding and respectful members who can see the trouble this update is bringing, and how dedicated Pipeworks is to solving these problems and bringing us the best version they can bring... But some people here are getting so angry and childish- It's harrowing and deeply depressing.

And this thread just further pushes the stereotype for console gamers. Seriously, how childish can you be? I for one am excited to hear about the progress, and it's clear that pipeworks has it worse than the PC team.

At least when Cent told us 1.3.6 was going to be awhile, (perhaps to help push the console stuff) people gave their support.

Terraria is a game you payed $20 for years ago, yet they are still providing free updates, with no paid DLC or other cash sinks. If you ask me, the fact that they are uniting PC and Console is astounding. They don't have to, but they legitimately love this project, and love their community.

Being angry about the delay is like being angry because someone tells you that their Christmas present for you is going to be late. It just makes you look bad.

The point of this post is positivity. It goes a long way. It's hard to work on things when you're stressed, and complaining about pipeworks is just going to stress them out.
Complaining is bad
I need to complain about complaining
Sort of a "pot calling the kettle black" situation we have here. By trying to be above it all, you've just sunk to our level. Accept your fate in this delay hell!
[doublepost=1506446700,1506446494][/doublepost]
I'll never understand why people feel the need to throw anger at a company for deciding to delay a game for legitimate reasons and not to compromise quality over convenience.I might begin white knighting Pipeworks here when I don't have any personal experience of their work, but let's put a few things into consideration:
1. Pipeworks has been doing a good job of keeping us up to date with their progress (seriously, the "One Terraria" update wasn't released too long ago and we're already getting another update on the status.) They've been much more consistent with not leaving us in the dark, unlike others have. At least they're decent enough to keep us in the know of what's happening.
2. They're not just simply cutting and pasting stuff here, they're working on, and fixing what I can easily imagine is thousands, if not millions of lines of code... Not only that, they're a new company who was brought into a game already built by another company- Anyone who knows ANYTHING about game design and/or coding knows that no one codes the same, so learning other people's coding methods in an attempt to fix it can be extremely overwhelming and time-consuming.
Seek previous statement

My real question is.. why does the console terraria cost $20,if it has less content than the PC version.
Because Microsoft and Sony want to make money too.

Been waiting, not alot seeing. Just delays and broken promises. Announcing another delay, and not expecting negative feedback is unrealistic. Maybe if this was the first time. But its not. Delays seem to be the company rule, not the exception.
That's because they prefer great quality over great timing.

Because Microsoft and Sony want to make money too.

That's because they prefer great quality over great timing.

That's all well and good, it's great that PW is working to provide the best possible experience they can for console users.

Either way, delays are going to irritate, upset & disappoint some users.

I've not attacked Pipeworks once but I am well within my rights to express my disappointment on subsequent delays. If anyone tells me otherwise, I'd tell them to jog on.

Consistent free updates have been fantastic and given the current climate of the gaming industry, there's a plethora of developers and publishers that would have no trouble nickle and diming their consumers for all of the content that's been added. We haven't had that happen and for that, I'm grateful indeed.

As said, myself and a few others have expressed our disappointment on the delays. We're not demanding it be released now as we have no right to.

I've done literally everything in the game. It's kinda funny that when I heard of 1.3 it was august 3. Now it's September 26. Even though I don't have any reason or things to do in the game, I'm still hopeful. Kinda disappointing it's not coming out in Q3. Oh well. Everything has to end one day.

I would like to dip my toes in for a moment and let you all know that we totally understand the disappointment people are voicing. The decision to delay the update was in no way done lightly or because our team isn't working their hardest. Game development is often like this, and although it's upsetting to expect something and then have it pushed back, just know that there is a lot more going on behind the scenes than you can imagine. The Terraria community is fantastic, and I'm saying that honestly as someone who has been in game dev for a long time, as well as someone who has been in other game communities for many years. Your disappointment is our disappointment, and we want to make sure we live up to the standards Re-Logic has set for us. =) Thank you guys for your continued support! We will do right by you, I promise.

why is it that I feel a sudden urge to check the forums and there is always an update on 1.3 when I do decide to check?

3. This is, like every single one before it, a FREE update. It's not like you're paying for something that continually gets delayed. Think of the fact that they literally could have said: "we're never going to bring 1.3 to consoles because it's just too much work."
4. If you're really in need for a fix and are tired of the currently built version, there are tons of other supplementary games you can play to keep you entertained until you're ready to come back to Terraria. You don't have to completely abandon it just because it's running into a little trouble.
Pipeworks is trying their hardest to bring us a reliable, working, quality update for Terraria. Game design and building are not easy, and so many people seem to act like it's on the level of simplicity as say... Solving a basic mathematics equation or something. I applaud the understanding and respectful members who can see the trouble this update is bringing, and how dedicated Pipeworks is to solving these problems and bringing us the best version they can bring... But some people here are getting so angry and childish- It's harrowing and deeply depressing.

What people are taking issue with is that they're constantly being let down with these delays. I guarantee that the backlash wouldn't be nearly as severe if they'd been just been willing to admit from the start that they thought it'd take the better part of a year still. Instead they repeatedly disappoint the playerbase with these delays. They should have erred on the side of caution rather than overestimating how quickly they could get it done

If you feel this justifies the situation, that is your opinion and you are free to express it. Just as I am of the opinion that they have not lived up to the expectations they have set on multiple occasions. Another delay at this point does nothing but cement my opinion that they are unreliable.

i just have to wonder, you seem SO intent on hating them, calling them unreliable, despite all the hard work they're doing... why do you even care, anymore?

you sound as if you are absolutely convinced that the update is never coming out, and if it does, it'll be trash... so why are you still here discussing it?

anyone else who genuinely thought that way, and wasn't just trying to stir up trouble would've moved on by now.

not even trying to start something here, i am honestly curious about why you and the others are still waiting around for something you're seemingly 100% convinced is either never coming out, or will suck when it does.

it just makes NO sense, and it's not helping anyone.

Last edited:
My main concern is the splitscreen play, as I use it a lot. Pipeworks was telling us porting things to the Unity engine was boosting performance, but now they're telling us the performance for splitscreen is sub-par. That's pretty much a contradiction.

And this thread just further pushes the stereotype for console gamers. Seriously, how childish can you be? I for one am excited to hear about the progress, and it's clear that pipeworks has it worse than the PC team.

At least when Cenx told us 1.3.6 was going to be awhile, (perhaps to help push the console stuff) people gave their support.

Terraria is a game you payed $20 for years ago, yet they are still providing free updates, with no paid DLC or other cash sinks. If you ask me, the fact that they are uniting PC and Console is astounding. They don't have to, but they legitimately love this project, and love their community.

Being angry about the delay is like being angry because someone tells you that their Christmas present for you is going to be late. It just makes you look bad.

The point of this post is positivity. It goes a long way. It's hard to work on things when you're stressed, and complaining about pipeworks is just going to stress them out.

you're placing a stereotype on an entire community for 2-3 people's behavior... yet you don't say anything about the PC community despite the massive amount of "PC master race" and "console peasant" stuff that goes on everywhere on the internet, including here?

that totally doesn't sound biased, at all.

another thing, you say your post is about positivity, yet you insult the entire console community... did they change the meaning of that word, recently?

to me, this whole thing just seems like 2-3 people wanting to stir up as much trouble as possible... expressing opinions is one thing, but when every single post is the exact same thing, practically harassing pipeworks, choosing to like posts that only add fuel to the fire, and refusing to like posts that are being reasonable, even to both sides... just furthers the idea that it's all a big trolling attempt.

i just hope the few people spewing venom and radiating toxicity don't discourage pipeworks and make them view the community as not worth the trouble they're going through.

i genuinely feel bad for them, they picked up a project that was handled so poorly up to this point, and are literally rebuilding it from the ground up to make it more stable and easier to expand in the future, yet are getting so viciously attacked, despite them trying their best to make it high quality.

not to mention, anyone who chooses to be reasonable about the situation, are treated as "bootlickers", despite it simply being a case of empathy and understanding.

it's honestly just disgusting to see that kind of behavior, especially in a community that should be more supportive than that.

expressing disappointment is fine, but being venomous and aggressive is just inexcusable, especially toward people who just recently stepped into the picture and are doing everything they can to improve the situation.

My main concern is the splitscreen play, as I use it a lot. Pipeworks was telling us porting things to the Unity engine was boosting performance, but now they're telling us the performance for splitscreen is sub-par. That's pretty much a contradiction.
Not really. Single-player performance could indeed be better in Unity. Spilt screen is generally at least double the work on the same hardware though. Plus we're talking up to 4 players, so even more work on a single system. Makes sense the multiplayer could be giving them issues.

They are also working on it, and I don't recall anyone saying it this is caused by using the Unity engine.

I think some people are looking for contradictions and evil subplots when the truth is what was said - they need a little more time to get things up to expectations.

i just have to wonder, you seem SO intent on hating them, calling them unreliable, despite all the hard work they're doing... why do you even care, anymore?

you sound as if you are absolutely convinced that the update is never coming out, and if it does, it'll be trash... so why are you still here discussing it?

anyone else who genuinely thought that way, and wasn't just trying to stir up trouble would've moved on by now.

not even trying to start something here, i am honestly curious about why you and the others are still waiting around for something you're seemingly 100% convinced is either never coming out, or will suck when it does.

it just makes NO sense, and it's not helping anyone.
Negative opinions are valid too, as long as they are expressed in a civil manner. We fully expected people to be upset, disappointed and angry. We also expect most will be very happy when at long last they receive the update.

What we don't want to see is people resorting to tearing down others simply because they disagree with them. This response of yours isn't helping anyone either, and you absolutely DO seem to be trying to start something here. If other peoples' opinions offend you so greatly, then go to their profile and click the Ignore button at the top right - you won't see them any longer.

I have spent years working long hours answering for my company, in a field where the customers do not except excuses. I leave my home at 9:30 every morning, and if i manage to get off on time, get home around 9:45 6 days a week. If my company annouces a timing, we keep it. If a customer feels we have not lived up to the promises we make, i spend as long as it takes to make sure we keep those commitments. The products we sell are not made by us, and often times we are not even responsible for the issues our customers are facing. However, when the products we sell suddenly turn in to beautiful looking paper weights for thousands of customers after the company that made it puts out the latest update, or the product suddenly starts exploding in their owners pockets, we are the ones they call to fix the issue. They don't accept excuses, they expect us to move heaven and earth to fix the problem, and deliver on our promises. My wife and I are both gamers. The first game we played together was terraria back when we started dating. We owned it on 360, mobile, and though we found out later, our crappy outdated laptops can't play it, we each have a copy on p.c. In oct 2016 i proposed to her, and after a couple months we set the wedding date for august of this year. I had alot of vacation time set back, since i hadnt taken one in over years. We set aside about a week at the end of the honey moon to just relax and recoup. Around my birthday in may, before they announced the first delay, we decided to go ahead and buy another copy for ps4. At the time, all the sources pointed to a q2 release. With this expectation, we figured it would be a nice way to spend the last few days. Playing the newest update of the first game we ever played together. Then came the first delay annoucement. They said they might have to delay it slightly into q3. Much like now, they made it sound like it would be a few weeks at most. After that, there was nothing but silence for awhile. As we moved up on august, we still had no word. The only place they were talking was on twitter and youtube. When they answered questions, their response was q3. Then it was by the end of q3, now we are looking at a "short delay into q4" much like we were looking at a "short delay into q3." 4 months later and they are still unable to release an update they annouced over 2 years ago.And now you know why i am upset. I am not on here to troll. I voiced my opinion, and will continue to defend that opinion. I have continued, and most likely will continue to respond to folks who call me out. Notice how after my first post, i have only responded to people directly quoting me. It isn't me who feels the need to continue this conversation or judge others opinions, but i will respond to those who choose question my right mine. If you make a commitment, you find a way to keep it. I don't care what words where used when they make these announcements. When you make an statement setting your customers expectations, they do not want to hear excuses as to why you let them down. They want you to find a way to honor your commitments. I do it every day.

Huge wall of text... I read the few first lines and appreciate your work-effort, but hope your clients at least received readable messages: use the [ENTER] key more often! Introduce some paragraphs to keep it readable...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom