Console 1.3: A Progress Update on the Road to Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you guys realize that these people are trying as hard as they can to get this update out. You do realize that they are not just adding in the 1.3 things, but everything that is in Terraria prior to 1.3 as well, completely rewritten. On the other hand, I do completely understand these complaints, because Pipeworks says things like "it'll be out by Q2" or "it definitely should be out by the end of September." I think it would be better if they made ballpark figures and said something like "it should be out by 2018." On a different note, I assume that the Switch version will come out before mobile 1.3 because they won't have to spend another six to seven months rewriting, just use the current 1.3 format for the other consoles, then give it new controls and fit it to the switch screen.

I assume that the Switch version will come out before mobile 1.3 because they won't have to spend another six to seven months rewriting, just use the current 1.3 format for the other consoles, then give it new controls and fit it to the switch screen.

I would not assume that. Every Re-Logic/PipeWorks member who has mentioned it, has always mentioned Switch after Mobile. In addition to that, I don't have a Switch, nor am I a developer, this is assuming the Unity Coding Language is compatible with the Switch. (and...it should, idk.) Just saying, look at the Nintendo Consoles... Each Console's Power Plug is just a very very slightly modified version of things that already exist, DS Plugs are very similar to mini-usb plugs, but aren't, the Wii's Sensor Bar Plug is very similar to some kind of port (that I donMt know the name of) Nintendo has a tendency to require their own tools to use them, wouldn't be surprised if they had their own coding language as well...

Microsoft did it with Windows, the coding language that Windows is written in, was bought by Microsoft, it's theirs.

Apple uses a code language that they have rights to as well.

PipeWorks did give us an update yesterday on their Twitch channel. They demoed the PS4 build live, and frankly it looked pretty damn good. Only a few more bugs to squash and then we will have it. I must say I was pretty worried about performance and how they would solve pasting a PC gui onto a console, but it looked pretty good. They didn't demo split-screen multiplayer so that is something to worry about still, but they seemed pretty confident they would crack that nut as well.

You can watch the rerun of the stream on their channel if you want.
Can you give the address of this rerun please?

Thanks for sharing. Watched it and some of these bugs they encounter (like the zooming not cooperating properly with controls) gives me the impression they're still far off and a bunch of amateurs. If you haven't squashed these kind of obvious bugs yet, you're not going to submit to certification any time soon.

(And don't give me that "but they have to rebuild the whole game!" kind of :red:... if you say such things you clearly don't know what porting means.)

Thanks for sharing. Watched it and some of these bugs they encounter (like the zooming not cooperating properly with controls) gives me the impression they're still far off and a bunch of amateurs. If you haven't squashed these kind of obvious bugs yet, you're not going to submit to certification any time soon.

(And don't give me that "but they have to rebuild the whole game!" kind of :red:... if you say such things you clearly don't know what porting means.)

Actually, though they never said it in quite the words I want here... they very nearly did, they said something along the lines of: "There are a few bugs in this build that we didn't have in the previous build..." Anytime they go bug fixing, they may accidentally create other bugs, it sounded like the zoom bug didn't exist in their last dev-build, but it was in this one, and as they did mention: "We got permission to stream this build, not the older one." So... There's that, which you haven't taken into account.

Writing games is fiddly, anything you do can change a whole :red: ton of stuff, treat it like it's "The Butterfly Effect".

In Reality, the best they can do is make it so there's 0 major bugs, and the least possible mini bugs.

Last edited:
Writing games is fiddly, anything you do can change a whole :red: ton of stuff, treat it like it's "The Butterfly Effect".

If you're an amateur, yes, that would happen :p

Joking ofcourse, but honestly... that stream gave me a bad taste. My concerns:

- In the stream they show quite a few basic/obvious bugs (and it raises my alarm for bugs which aren't that obvious; certification will chase things like "what happens if you sign-out midgame on XboxOne... what happens if you pull out the network cable during online play... " in short: obnoxious stuff. If they bounce it, you're probably back to the end of some queue.)
- They say things like "sometimes it takes the whole day for our engineers to fix a single high-priority bug" (sounds like all programmers are helping eachother out, working on the same bug)
- They don't dare to show current state of splitscreen (I know that was a major addition to console, but the original team doing the port managed to do it and Pipeworks doesn't sound comfortable showing it after such a long time)
- There're these quotes related to porting it over to Unity saying "there was a time it wasn't over 4 FPS on PS4"... "it took more than 30 mins to generate a world [when we started porting]" (this makes me concerned about performance between old and new console version... I understand the current console version is a straight, lean C++ port... no 3rd party engine slowing things down)

Anyway, I think we should stop holding our breath and be prepared for a 2018 release :/

I think that the devs, just by the look of the builds that they have featured in streams and the like, a possible Christmas release may be doable. Of course this is just my outright prediction, they're not keeping the update from us so at least theyre stating that their getting into the process of certs. Yes, October 22 and still nothing but the streams are at least helping to answer some questions we have been yearning to have answers on. I think PW will do a great job remaking the 1.3 update that enlightened upon over 20 million terraria gamers and I'm sure everybody is going to be fighting the Moon Lord in due time. I'm looking forward to trying a three hour speedrun when it comes out.

If you're an amateur, yes, that would happen :p

Joking ofcourse, but honestly... that stream gave me a bad taste. My concerns:

- In the stream they show quite a few basic/obvious bugs (and it raises my alarm for bugs which aren't that obvious; certification will chase things like "what happens if you sign-out midgame on XboxOne... what happens if you pull out the network cable during online play... " in short: obnoxious stuff. If they bounce it, you're probably back to the end of some queue.)
- They say things like "sometimes it takes the whole day for our engineers to fix a single high-priority bug" (sounds like all programmers are helping eachother out, working on the same bug)
- They don't dare to show current state of splitscreen (I know that was a major addition to console, but the original team doing the port managed to do it and Pipeworks doesn't sound comfortable showing it after such a long time)
- There're these quotes related to porting it over to Unity saying "there was a time it wasn't over 4 FPS on PS4"... "it took more than 30 mins to generate a world [when we started porting]" (this makes me concerned about performance between old and new console version... I understand the current console version is a straight, lean C++ port... no 3rd party engine slowing things down)

Anyway, I think we should stop holding our breath and be prepared for a 2018 release :/
I wonder if you actually understand coding and porting enough to call them amateurs.

- Basic/obvious bugs can literally be fixed in one build, then crop back up in the next. Coding is not simple when you have a team working on a project. Nobody is working on self contained code. Anyone can introduce simple bugs in the process of fixing other stuff.

- It's not unusual for multiple engineers to collaborate on major showstopper bugs. Doesn't mean the whole team is doing one thing at a time.

- Why would they show a mode they openly admit needs a lot more work? That's just asking for bad PR.

- The "straight, lean C++ port" as you put it is the reason there Engine was let go. It was buggy, unoptimized and not built to be upgraded since a lot was hard coded into it. It's also part of the reason every single platform was running on its own custom port. Unity is being used for the ability to have a single code base that runs on everything. That is a huge advantage in coding. PS4, XB1, mobile and Switch should all be running the same engine, so updates should roll out much smoother and faster. The wait time between the PS4/XB1 release and the mobile/Switch should be a lot smaller since by that point they will already have a working game.

I agree this is taking a long time, but it's not taking longer than it should. 505 and Pipeworks were too optimistic about what kind of performance would be acceptable to push out the door when the original release window was announced. Taking only a year for a port of this size was just not reasonable. If we see 1.3 this year it will probably be at least another month or so.

Greetings, Terrarians!

Understandably, we’ve been getting a lot of questions regarding the upcoming console release of 1.3 and wanted to provide an update.

Currently we are working through the final issues/bug list from Re-Logic and Pipeworks QA – as well as any final bits that we need to resolve for Sony and Microsoft certification submission. Parallel to that, we are putting the final touches on optimization and performance for split-screen multiplayer. It has been a challenge getting the authentic PC experience to feel just right in this important format, but we are nearly done there.

Keep in mind that for a game of this scale we need to ensure that the game is properly screened by QA prior to us submitting the update for certification, we don’t want to rush and sacrifice quality for the sake of getting it out sooner. We are hoping to be able to submit for certification in the next few weeks, though there is a good chance this will take a bit longer. That said, we can definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel! Hopefully this should give you a better idea of where the team is currently at. We hope to have additional information with a more solidified date soon – we just need to see how things progress on the final list before we can do so. Of course, if you have any questions feel free to let us know.

Thanks,
The Terraria Team at Pipeworks
Sweet, I've been waiting since it was planned for release last november xD it's ok though quality is always better than quantity! Good Luck on getting in Certified!
[doublepost=1508807644,1508807156][/doublepost]Also, will we be getting the extra row in this update or will that be saved for another time (Never xD) I wish that you would make the weapons from Console Expert Mode exclusive things like the dev items so we can still get them but not easily, because it took m almost 7 months to get 1 piece of the dragon armor and by the time I finally got the full set for each 3 completed I felt so tired. And I think all Console Terraria Veterans are with me on this one when I say I'd rather have an expert mode exclusive boss (Ocram) then have vanity items. I know you're trying to make it as similar to PC as possible but you gotta let us have at least something, I mean even the stuff tat's exclusive to console is lower-tier than the 1.2 Armors so it would be irrelevant by the time we got Lunar gear. I also wish you'd keep the console-exclusive enemy variants because it adds a little bit of variety to the game and it always feels good for me at least to get an Arch Wyvern instead of a normal one. Thanks that's all!

Terraria PS4 Is the best version xD

I wonder if you actually understand coding and porting enough to call them amateurs.

- Basic/obvious bugs can literally be fixed in one build, then crop back up in the next. Coding is not simple when you have a team working on a project. Nobody is working on self contained code. Anyone can introduce simple bugs in the process of fixing other stuff.

- It's not unusual for multiple engineers to collaborate on major showstopper bugs. Doesn't mean the whole team is doing one thing at a time.

- Why would they show a mode they openly admit needs a lot more work? That's just asking for bad PR.

- The "straight, lean C++ port" as you put it is the reason there Engine was let go. It was buggy, unoptimized and not built to be upgraded since a lot was hard coded into it. It's also part of the reason every single platform was running on its own custom port. Unity is being used for the ability to have a single code base that runs on everything. That is a huge advantage in coding. PS4, XB1, mobile and Switch should all be running the same engine, so updates should roll out much smoother and faster. The wait time between the PS4/XB1 release and the mobile/Switch should be a lot smaller since by that point they will already have a working game.

I agree this is taking a long time, but it's not taking longer than it should. 505 and Pipeworks were too optimistic about what kind of performance would be acceptable to push out the door when the original release window was announced. Taking only a year for a port of this size was just not reasonable. If we see 1.3 this year it will probably be at least another month or so.
In short, terraria is a complicated game and is a pain in the :red: to make things for it
[doublepost=1508821752,1508821660][/doublepost]
I may be a month late but HYPE!
Actually about a year late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom