Console 1.3: A Progress Update on the Road to Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.
have a garbage port like the predecessor did at console launch and then lag 18-24 months on EVERY update.

Uhm... Can you elaborate on this? (and back it up with some evidence). I remember seeing 9/10 reviews when the game released on console.

[Edit: metacritic is around 81% right now concerning the console version, so doesn't sound like a garbage port to me unless I've missed something..? Only downside I can think of is the missing content we're waiting for right now, but that stuff was added to the PC version after the console version came out. That's why we're all waiting for Pipeworks to share their hard work.]

Last edited:
Uhm... Can you elaborate on this? (and back it up with some evidence). I remember seeing 9/10 reviews when the game released on console.

[Edit: metacritic is around 81% right now concerning the console version, so doesn't sound like a garbage port to me unless I've missed something..? Only downside I can think of is the missing content we're waiting for right now, but that stuff was added to the PC version after the console version came out. That's why we're all waiting for Pipeworks to share their hard work.]

Actually runs well from my experience. Only bad glitch is one that seems to effect my controller. Very, very odd glitch that I dont see anywhere else. That was the base game though.

The mobile port on the other hand enjoys crashing.

Originally the game was a decent port. Missing quite a few features, but it was solid enough at launch. Almost every update after that though tended to be extremely behind schedule and introduced major bugs. One release even deleted peoples worlds with no chance of recovering them. At the time ReLogic had a completely hands off approach to the console side of things.

If Pipeworks manages to release late but without major bugs they're at least 50% better than Engine was at this job. Since ReLogic is now directly overseeing this project I have faith the quality will be up to par.

have a garbage port like the predecessor did at console launch...

Ok, so not a garbage port apparently...

...and then lag 18-24 months on EVERY update.

So that's 1.5 to 2 years per update... the game released May 2013 for consoles. So that would be 1 or maybe 2 updates (not counting the port to PS4/XboxOne). Not sure if I'm living on some parallel plane, or maybe I'm already suffering from alzheimer's.

Let us all play a game of “would you rather”.
Would you rather:
1) have a polished product that is approved by Red?
Or
2) have a garbage port like the predecessor did at console launch and then lag 18-24 months on EVERY update.

C’mon kiddies, this is not a hard choice.

It couldn't possibly be worse than the 1.2 update, so I'll go with 'broken garbage port.'

Would you rather:
Or
2) have a garbage port like the predecessor did at console launch and then lag 18-24 months on EVERY update.

I think you meant
1) would you rather have a perfect update that will take years for us to get so isn’t really worth it or
2) a port that probably has most bugs squashed anyway and can easily just be given for cert testing now
The answer is very obvious

Would you rather:
Or

Or
3) Have a product that is ready by Q2 of 2017, like they promised.

The reason people are wound up is because it's months behind the date they gave us.

The reason people are wound up is because it's months behind the date they gave us.
people shouldn't be wound up. Pipeworks is taking their time to give us the best they can. Do I even have to repeat that they had to recode the entire game in a different engine? They have to see what works and what doesn't and when they finally get it finished I'm sure it will be worth it. It's a recode of the game AND a massive update after all.

people shouldn't be wound up. Pipeworks is taking their time to give us the best they can. Do I even have to repeat that they had to recode the entire game in a different engine? They have to see what works and what doesn't and when they finally get it finished I'm sure it will be worth it. It's a recode of the game AND a massive update after all.
All of which is the right way to go, but they shouldn't have promised us such an unrealistic release date; when they told us Q2 I knew it was way too optimistic. And if I know that, they (being in the company) should definitely have known.

what makes me not think about it being delayed is i keep telling myself it will come out the next friday. and it will come out close to a friday because that's when they do there stream and when they do the moon lord one that means it is or is really close to being done. and if its not done it will probably be out the next day. im not for shure tho

rip ocram

That's what I was thinking!!!!!!!!!:kingslime:
I would rather it take a little bit longer to be perfect than have bugs
[doublepost=1510148413,1510148277][/doublepost]
what makes me not think about it being delayed is i keep telling myself it will come out the next friday. and it will come out close to a friday because that's when they do there stream and when they do the moon lord one that means it is or is really close to being done. and if its not done it will probably be out the next day. im not for shure tho

rip ocram
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP OCRAM forever and ever

Help us Loki!

Not sure what help I can provide? Clearly if it was about to launch or there was a specific date, it would have been posted. I will say it’s looking closer than ever before - but there are still a few things needed to hit our standards. Sorry those have led to this delay, but the desire and plan behind those standards are to avoid issues like we have seen before (1.2) and to put as uncompromised a version of the game as possible in your hands. That means no cutting corners just to “get it out there”.

Not sure what else to say other than we are just as upset and stressed about the time it’s taken as anyone - but it’s not for lack of effort or focus or anything like that. Anyway, hopefully not much longer now....

3) Have a product that is ready by Q2 of 2017, like they promised.

Not getting into that again - but targets and plans are not promises. Clearly, PW underestimated the time it would take. Assuming they knew that at the time is 20/20 hindsight at its best. Everyone would have loved it to be out then. It wasn’t ready. That happens in gaming development all the time. Still sucks for everyone, of course.

2) a port that probably has most bugs squashed anyway and can easily just be given for cert testing now
The answer is very obvious

Yes, it sure would be if we had been in a situation where 2 was the actual choice.

As for the old port - it is a fine thing in its own right, but it has always been “off” versus the PC experience... and then you have the admitted disasters like the 1.2 console update. We were not as involved then as we are now, the systems for QA and development have been completely overhauled within 505 (and bringing on PW), and the decision to rebuild the codebase vs just adding to the old one should wind up being a smart future investment even with how long it’s taking to get the initial release out.

Again, not sure what else to say - outside of having a date for everyone, it’s all the same shared logic as before. I know it won’t help, but there it is anyway. Hopefully soon...

I will say it’s looking closer than ever before

Waiting for Twitter and YouTube to explode with estimates based on the term "closer"

Tbh you guys could say anything and it'll be misconstrued somehow :merchantgrin:

Pipeworks have mentioned tho that they're having discussions to release a more formal update, I can kinda guess where that's heading but patience is a virtue

Not sure what help I can provide? Clearly if it was about to launch or there was a specific date, it would have been posted. I will say it’s looking closer than ever before - but there are still a few things needed to hit our standards. Sorry those have led to this delay, but the desire and plan behind those standards are to avoid issues like we have seen before (1.2) and to put as uncompromised a version of the game as possible in your hands. That means no cutting corners just to “get it out there”.

Not sure what else to say other than we are just as upset and stressed about the time it’s taken as anyone - but it’s not for lack of effort or focus or anything like that. Anyway, hopefully not much longer now....

Not getting into that again - but targets and plans are not promises. Clearly, PW underestimated the time it would take. Assuming they knew that at the time is 20/20 hindsight at its best. Everyone would have loved it to be out then. It wasn’t ready. That happens in gaming development all the time. Still sucks for everyone, of course.

Yes, it sure would be if we had been in a situation where 2 was the actual choice.

As for the old port - it is a fine thing in its own right, but it has always been “off” versus the PC experience... and then you have the admitted disasters like the 1.2 console update. We were not as involved then as we are now, the systems for QA and development have been completely overhauled within 505 (and bringing on PW), and the decision to rebuild the codebase vs just adding to the old one should wind up being a smart future investment even with how long it’s taking to get the initial release out.

Again, not sure what else to say - outside of having a date for everyone, it’s all the same shared logic as before. I know it won’t help, but there it is anyway. Hopefully soon...
Ok good my xbox1 (might) survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom