Console Console 1.3 - An Update on Timing

Status
Not open for further replies.
It truly does and I feel sad for anyone who has to deal with it. I renew my PS+ every February, meaning I am in no harm of missing the 1.3.0.7 update, thank goodness.

Yeah, ps+ is a pain...Nice to have thkse free games every month, makes the cost feel a bit more worthwhile (seriously, last months game was worth the $30 I paid for the 3 months).

I bought the game but I need gold to play with my friends so I have to wait till December

Ah, that is a pain. Thankfully I have no friends so I dont have this problem :p

Man, you guys are sure taking your time with this update. I know that you guys want to do a high quality update with no bugs but with the amount of extra time we have been waiting. It feels like we will never have this update. At this point I would rather have you release the update with the bugs you've done so far since you have probably done most of them already. I would then let you delay 1.3.1 because I really want 1.3 right now. Speaking about delays, they are terrible, every delay that happens will indirectly delay other updates in the long run. Imagine if the 1.2.4 update was never delayed, work on 1.3 would start earlier and then we would definitely have the update by now. Now technically the whole of 1.2.4 took a year. They gave us half of the update in half a year and then the other half in another half of a year which in my opinion is ridiculous for a patch update to have taken a year to release the whole thing. Then when work starts on 1.3 we see that the target date is less than a year away which hyped me up and then when we still don't have the update now I feel like I still don't that hype anymore. I want the update out before school starts but you make it look like it'll come out in September which is annoying. Many people say you've ruined the summer with this which I don't agree with personally but I had plans for 1.3 so the fact that I can't play it yet really sucks. I want a high quality update but equally I want to be in the mindset that I will get the update.

Dang man. I've been waiting and waiting for this update ever since I hit a wall on what to do on my console terraria. I've actually quit playing it cause I just don't have anything to do. I read the Q2 expected release earlier today, and looked into it only to see this announced delay. :( it's not that big of a deal on the basis that I want a non-glitchy good looking game, but on the other hand I've been super hyped for this update seeing as though I've never killed LC, Stardust event or ML. I'm just hoping for a early realease.

Man, you guys are sure taking your time with this update. I know that you guys want to do a high quality update with no bugs but with the amount of extra time we have been waiting. It feels like we will never have this update. At this point I would rather have you release the update with the bugs you've done so far since you have probably done most of them already. I would then let you delay 1.3.1 because I really want 1.3 right now. Speaking about delays, they are terrible, every delay that happens will indirectly delay other updates in the long run. Imagine if the 1.2.4 update was never delayed, work on 1.3 would start earlier and then we would definitely have the update by now. Now technically the whole of 1.2.4 took a year. They gave us half of the update in half a year and then the other half in another half of a year which in my opinion is ridiculous for a patch update to have taken a year to release the whole thing. Then when work starts on 1.3 we see that the target date is less than a year away which hyped me up and then when we still don't have the update now I feel like I still don't that hype anymore. I want the update out before school starts but you make it look like it'll come out in September which is annoying. Many people say you've ruined the summer with this which I don't agree with personally but I had plans for 1.3 so the fact that I can't play it yet really sucks. I want a high quality update but equally I want to be in the mindset that I will get the update.
in case you lack the research for this owl one if you could provide links but the game is being built from the ground up so updates are faster as when your are adding on to coding from engine it could take much longer than building off of a new branch that will guarantee stability and ease of future updates

Dang man. I've been waiting and waiting for this update ever since I hit a wall on what to do on my console terraria. I've actually quit playing it cause I just don't have anything to do. I read the Q2 expected release earlier today, and looked into it only to see this announced delay. :( it's not that big of a deal on the basis that I want a non-glitchy good looking game, but on the other hand I've been super hyped for this update seeing as though I've never killed LC, Stardust event or ML. I'm just hoping for a early realease.

I feel the same way, I stopped playing a month ago, and it's my favorite game

in case you lack the research for this owl one if you could provide links but the game is being built from the ground up so updates are faster as when your are adding on to coding from engine it could take much longer than building off of a new branch that will guarantee stability and ease of future updates
Dude, I am aware of that, I know everything that they're doing to make this update

Greetings, Terrarians!

As you may have seen from Cenx' tweet this week, we have been playtesting the upcoming Console 1.3 update within our team in order to help make this rewrite/update the very best that it can be. (If you missed the image of the team playing, check it out below). We are having a great time and generating tons of feedback for the Pipeworks team.

Clearly, a ton of progress has been made - pretty much everything has been added, etc., though quite a good amount of work remains in squashing bugs, optimizing performance, and addressing the list of feedback that we are giving Pipeworks as a part of our playtesting.

The good part of this is that the game/update will be all the more polished and awesome as a result of this extra work.

The downside is that the team is going to need more time than expected to pull it all together. How long isn't quite clear yet - but both teams feel pretty sure that we are looking at a delay into Q3 in order to do what needs doing. Obviously, that isn't ideal for anyone, but it is what is needed to hit our "quality first" philosophy and to make this update hit its potential.

Hopefully, the delay will not be too long at all, but we wanted to go ahead and fill you guys in on the situation as soon as we knew ourselves.

Thanks for understanding and your support - we will answer any questions that we can of course.
I'm pretty sure most people will agree that waiting will be more than worth it :D take your time.:cool:;)

@demvic1 it's actually a new company working on Terraria. The old company was Engine Software. I'm guessing they had too many other projects so the torch was passed over to Pipeworks. Personally with how Engine made theVita version I'd love to see what Pipeworks could do if they re-wrote the code mainly for further optimization. They've done Terraria a great service so far and I wonder if Engine had missed something in the Vita's abilities to generate the game. A fruitless wish I know but I'm only saying because they are a talented group and possibly could optimize the game at least a little better.

@demvic1 it's actually a new company working on Terraria. The old company was Engine Software. I'm guessing they had too many other projects so the torch was passed over to Pipeworks. Personally with how Engine made theVita version I'd love to see what Pipeworks could do if they re-wrote the code mainly for further optimization. They've done Terraria a great service so far and I wonder if Engine had missed something in the Vita's abilities to generate the game. A fruitless wish I know but I'm only saying because they are a talented group and possibly could optimize the game at least a little better.
It's not really about optimization in that case. The Vita was never powerful enough to do what was asked if it, mostly because of RAM. Engine tried to get around that stuff but really they should have just cut the Vita and 3DS a bit earlier than they did.

I know about the new company and I watch their showcase videos that are meant to hype us up

The vita only has 512MB Ram, 3DS only has 128MB for the old and 256MB of ram for the new 3DS, neither consoles have enough memory to run 1.3 which requires a minimum of 2.5gb as far as i know.

Your probably right about it releasing in September, next Friday pipeworks will be showing of the solar eclipse & by then august will be half over.

But at least I have sonic mania to look forward to, to take my mind off of this updates release. :)

@shadowwraith I wasn't saying they could do 1.3 for it but further stabilize it. It's irritating whenever I go into the Jungle or Mushroom biomes..you get a ton of slowdown. Plus it'd be cool to see all versions have the Pipeworks logo in the intros.

Last edited:
Can whe have a the presice time of release and not a evasive q3 .... what is the true date that you guys are aiming?

Can whe have a the presice time of release and not a evasive q3 .... what is the true date that you guys are aiming?
See this is a tricky problem. Even if they do have an exact date they are targeting, which I don't think they do, anything they say will be taken by people at large as a promise. If they miss that date for some reason then it's bad PR for them. So companies tend to only give information they are 100% certain they will meet. Because that kind of certainty is rare and difficult to have, we end up in the situation we are in. I wouldn't be surprised if Pipeworks has missed over a dozen target dates internally, but since we didn't know about them it's just a wait like any other.

See this is a tricky problem. Even if they do have an exact date they are targeting, which I don't think they do, anything they say will be taken by people at large as a promise. If they miss that date for some reason then it's bad PR for them. So companies tend to only give information they are 100% certain they will meet. Because that kind of certainty is rare and difficult to have, we end up in the situation we are in. I wouldn't be surprised if Pipeworks has missed over a dozen target dates internally, but since we didn't know about them it's just a wait like any other.
Tru it is in fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom