Console Console 1.3 - An Update on Timing

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point, it's not just the delay, it's also the lack of any information. I think just a simple message saying their still on target to release this month would relieve alot of frustration. After so many months, "soon" has sorta lost it's meaning, as well as it's credibility.

i mostly hope the portal gun is there but i don't know it they need to copyright proof it
if they do need to do so i would recommend renaming it the teleportation mechanism and making it purple and black

At this point, it's not just the delay, it's also the lack of any information. I think just a simple message saying their still on target to release this month would relieve alot of frustration. After so many months, "soon" has sorta lost it's meaning, as well as it's credibility.
i really agree but when it frustrating for me i just think about all the cool stuff that's possibly there!
it helps,really!

If that's all you need, they have been saying exactly that, every Friday on their Twitch stream. That seems to be their preferred way of interfacing with the community.

Something to consider guys is that while it might take a while to develop it, it will also take a lot less time to port these updates to console, most likely saving a fair bit of time.

Something to consider guys is that while it might take a while to develop it, it will also take a lot less time to port these updates to console, most likely saving a fair bit of time.

they will save more time and resources now that pipeworks has ended support for old gen consoles

If that's all you need, they have been saying exactly that, every Friday on their Twitch stream. That seems to be their preferred way of interfacing with the community.

Which stream did they state thet were still on track for a q3 release? Most recent one i watched was aug. 25th, and all that was said was that they have no idea when it would be released. They stated that they wanted to do a 1.3 stream soon, but did not say anything about the game still being on track for q3.

Which stream did they state thet were still on track for a q3 release? Most recent one i watched was aug. 25th, and all that was said was that they have no idea when it would be released. They stated that they wanted to do a 1.3 stream soon, but did not say anything about the game still being on track for q3.
the newest stream was sep. 1

they will save more time and resources now that pipeworks has ended support for old gen consoles
This is kinda misleading. Pipeworks was not working on Terraria prior to this. Engine Software was the developer at that time for all console versions.

The loss of support for older consoles like 3DS, PS3 and 360 has a lot more to do with the fact the consoles simply don't have enough RAM to load everything in the 1.3 update. The 1.2.4 content has completely maxed out those systems. Any efforts to work around that limitation came with other limitations and a host of bugs. In the end it was decided supporting those systems was no longer worth the work it would take.

This is kinda misleading. Pipeworks was not working on Terraria prior to this. Engine Software was the developer at that time for all console versions.

The loss of support for older consoles like 3DS, PS3 and 360 has a lot more to do with the fact the consoles simply don't have enough RAM to load everything in the 1.3 update. The 1.2.4 content has completely maxed out those systems. Any efforts to work around that limitation came with other limitations and a host of bugs. In the end it was decided supporting those systems was no longer worth the work it would take.

Mm, I meant the recoding of the game to be more similar to the PCs, hence allowing ports to happen quicker in the future

i mostly hope the portal gun is there but i don't know it they need to copyright proof it

We got permission from Valve before we ever added it to the core PC game. We should be good. :)

The launch always has been "when it is ready" - we are not going to approve them to launch this if it is knowingly not up to our standards. It simply wasn't ready during Q2. I know, I played it in the middle of Q2 as you can see on the OP of this very thread. Launching a game or update when you know it has issues is just... a self-fulfilling prophecy. Sure, more bugs will be found after launch - EVERY piece of software ever sees this effect - but getting things as clean as you can from what you can see as a development & QA team prior to that is just wise practice, even if it does take longer than "just toss it out there".

Played it again last week - TONS of progress - but still not close enough to ready to give you an exact date. If there was one to give - one that everyone was dead-on confident in hitting - rest assured it would be trumpeted from the mountaintops. Given it is nearing the end of Q3, I expect some kind of update will need to be given by the PW team soon - one way or the other.

So "very very soon" as pipeworks put it. Means still not close enough to warrant a release date with a little over 3 weeks left by Loki?

Gotta love hearing one thing from the stream, then another on the forums. We totally don't need a single real update on the forums at all :^)

Spring
Believe the hype

So "very very soon" as pipeworks put it. Means still not close enough to warrant a release date with a little over 3 weeks left by Loki?

Gotta love hearing one thing from the stream, then another on the forums. We totally don't need a single real update on the forums at all :^)

Spring
Believe the hype
What sort of news are you expecting? "Sorry still no news for mobile" isn't something that is worth putting on the front page. Loki has already stated that he thinks there will be some news soon.

Another thing: Re-Logic is providing this update for free. They can take as long as they like as there's no obligation for them to get it out at all.

Being close and having an exact date are two very different things in game development. Parse the semantics and wording, but its the same net result. :)

What sort of news are you expecting? "Sorry still no news for mobile" isn't something that is worth putting on the front page. Loki has already stated that he thinks there will be some news soon.

Mobile is another beast - but the timing of that is tied partially to the timing of getting console out... so I hope the PW team will have an update on that timing shortly after the console launches.

Look, not one person DESIRES for this to take this long - but the mantra will always be quality over time. Heck we may even feel the delay and want it out to everyone more than you do. That said, history is a pretty accurate teacher as to what happens when you reverse those priorities.

Another thing: Re-Logic is providing this update for free. They can take as long as they like as there's no obligation for them to get it out at all.

True to a degree, but we are committed to getting a quality update (and, really, a full rewrite of the entire console game) out to you guys. Not sure if anyone has ever attempted a full rewrite of an already-launched and successful console game just to provide the end users as better overall experience on top of adding in a ton more content. Just important context for me when I get to thinking about the time it has taken.

Anyway - nothing that hasn't been said before. The delays suck, we get it, we feel it too. The team is doing all that they can to get it in your hands as fast as possible while not compromising and cutting corners.

Wow dude, I gotta get myself some attack dogs that are just hanging on the side to snap at anything that comes remotely close to insulting their masters.

You see Darth, people are going to take the piss out of things. That's just how it is. Not everything needs an immediate reply.

As for @Loki
C'mon man, we know you've got some better details than what you're letting on. What's really happening over there? Or are we forced to wait out the next few weeks for the eventual news?

My excitement for the 1.3 update has more or less dwindled at this point.

There have been a plethora of games that've kept me busy throughout the year and there are more on the horizon.

With the update coming so late into the year and likely to hit during the release frame of other titles, I'll be hard pressed to find the time to play it.

This isn't a criticism against Pipeworks or 505 either, the update will come when it comes.

Shame that my excitement has dropped off though.

Mobile is another beast - but the timing of that is tied partially to the timing of getting console out... so I hope the PW team will have an update on that timing shortly after the console launches.
Oops! That was a typo; I meant Console. Ultimately the meaning is the same.
Look, not one person DESIRES for this to take this long - but the mantra will always be quality over time. Heck we may even feel the delay and want it out to everyone more than you do. That said, history is a pretty accurate teacher as to what happens when you reverse those priorities.
I actually completely understand this feeling from my own standpoint on refactoring the mod I help with; we also want to ensure a high quality end experience which takes time.
Not sure if anyone has ever attempted a full rewrite of an already-launched and successful console game just to provide the end users as better overall experience on top of adding in a ton more content. Just important context for me when I get to thinking about the time it has taken.
Just more evidence as to why, in my opinion, you deserve to take the time you need!

Wow dude, I gotta get myself some attack dogs that are just hanging on the side to snap at anything that comes remotely close to insulting their masters.

You see Darth, people are going to take the piss out of things. That's just how it is. Not everything needs an immediate reply.
Not sure what you mean about "taking the piss out of things"; I haven't seen any mocking jokes or suchlike in recent discussion.
I'd also ask that instead of insulting me, come up with some valid counterarguments. This forum is all about discussion so I'm not sure why you didn't expect a reply!

Finally, although I'm not Loki I doubt they're hiding anything. Anyone who has any experience developing a product knows that polished, bug free code takes a long time to write and test.

The point is that nobody has any room to breath in this thread without you or another lapdog jumping in to preach about development constraints.

Oh please proto and darth, please teach me how long it takes to code. Why I'm just plum tuckered at the mere thought of it :^)

1. Coding takes time
2. No potential release is ever without bugs
3. The cc has nothing to do with dev time
4. Release dates aren't set in stone
Any more common sense you need to shoehorn in here that nobody was confused about?

The point is that nobody has any room to breath in this thread without you or another lapdog jumping in to preach about development constraints.

Oh please proto and darth, please teach me how long it takes to code. Why I'm just plum tuckered at the mere thought of it :^)

1. Coding takes time
2. No potential release is ever without bugs
3. The cc has nothing to do with dev time
4. Release dates aren't set in stone
Any more common sense you need to shoehorn in here that nobody was confused about?
That's because they're true! It's not like we're making stuff up lmao.
My apologies if you're being genuine but at this point I'm going to assume you're attempting to troll us.

That's because they're true! It's not like we're making stuff up lmao.
My apologies if you're being genuine but at this point I'm going to assume you're attempting to troll us.
I think it's more that @MoeHolyGhost believes there is information that the devs and moderators are refusing to share that should be. I'm thinking he wants to be told something like a list of what bugs are left and the timeframe Pipeworks expect to fix them in. Everyone has tried explaining why it's a really bad idea to release such information as it creates nothing but ill will in the community when things don't go as planned.

The internet and especially social media make things so much harder than needed. It's kinda like celebrities and paparazzi. People nowadays just expect they are entitled to a constant stream of information, even information they have no business knowing, regardless of the consequences to the parties it pertains to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom