Official Console 1.3 Update Feedback Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Referencing the above post from Loki, I appreciate, as we all do, the knowledge that the team is on it. We understand as well that things will not revert. But with all of the changes coukd, when your team knows, produce a list of what is being worked on?

With every hotfix patch that goes in, you will absolutely get a full changelog. All of it will be looked at (again, no promises of what changes, etc on feedback stuff), all bugs will be logged for the fixing - but I think it's more helpful to come out and let you know when the fix is going in vs just saying "PW is looking into all of it" :p

All I am trying to do is help the devs at Pipeworks investigate and gather information that will help their engineers find the nasties in the code and eliminate them. That and making the eventual feedback review/discussion more efficient and smooth and quicker - because reading one page of notes is going to be far faster for them than 45 pages of forums. We take that on for them while they are banging away at other stuff.

While fighting the Martian Invasion, I had the ship sides taken out and was shocked when the game seemed to freeze. Everything was still moving, but the graphics seemed superimposed and locked in place. Teleported and it stayed on the screen.

Quit, reloaded, and it did the same just not as worse.

If I can get a screen or video or anything of this? Especially if its something you can make happen repeatedly?

For those saying it wasn't tested - I can absolutely assure you that it was. A lot. For a long time. By a lot of people, some with a PC heritage and others with a Console heritage - and a good number of them Terraria fans/experts. A lot of what we are seeing here quite simply never happened in that testing or it wouldn't have gone out the door. Some of the other stuff falls into preferences and perception. Design vision vs status quo. The key in those will be finding that common ground that serves both sides. Just gotta get these bugs out of the path first, though. Need PW 100% focused on that for right now...but the feedback discussion won't be far behind that, I imagine.

That being the case, no one can make any promises on what will or will not happen just yet. Would say just hang with things as best you can for now. “The way it was” isn’t coming back, but perhaps there are ways to fine tune the new experience that will make it more workable and pleasant for those having issues with the way it is now. Spend some more time with it - it’s a big change - see what grows on you and what remains painful and report back.

Sorry but this struck a nerve. The PC interface was not developed for console and is making the game borderline unplayable. It is disappointing this wasn't caught during beta and brings the question if any actual "console only" players were involved.

I hope it can be tweaked but my optimism is low.
[doublepost=1513487013,1513486715][/doublepost]
With every hotfix patch that goes in, you will absolutely get a full changelog. All of it will be looked at (again, no promises of what changes, etc on feedback stuff), all bugs will be logged for the fixing - but I think it's more helpful to come out and let you know when the fix is going in vs just saying "PW is looking into all of it" :p

All I am trying to do is help the devs at Pipeworks investigate and gather information that will help their engineers find the nasties in the code and eliminate them. That and making the eventual feedback review/discussion more efficient and smooth and quicker - because reading one page of notes is going to be far faster for them than 45 pages of forums. We take that on for them while they are banging away at other stuff.

If I can get a screen or video or anything of this? Especially if its something you can make happen repeatedly?

For those saying it wasn't tested - I can absolutely assure you that it was. A lot. For a long time. By a lot of people, some with a PC heritage and others with a Console heritage - and a good number of them Terraria fans/experts. A lot of what we are seeing here quite simply never happened in that testing or it wouldn't have gone out the door. Some of the other stuff falls into preferences and perception. Design vision vs status quo. The key in those will be finding that common ground that serves both sides. Just gotta get these bugs out of the path first, though. Need PW 100% focused on that for right now...but the feedback discussion won't be far behind that, I imagine.

Is it safe to say the Terraria fans used for testing listed PC as preferred method of play?

Sorry but this struck a nerve. The PC interface was not developed for console and is making the game borderline unplayable. It is disappointing this wasn't caught during beta and brings the question if any actual "console only" players were involved.

I hope it can be tweaked but my optimism is low.

I'm guessing that they had PS4s connected to monitors on their office desks while they were programming, and didn't take the time to actually see how it looks & plays from 10 feet away. Even on my 55" 4KTV, it's really bad. The original, simple interface was absolutely perfect for consoles (except for the lack of an autopause option back then...that was a REAL pain). The PS4 & XboneX may be powerful enough to use the PC interface, but they're not meant to.

It is disappointing this wasn't caught during beta and brings the question if any actual "console only" players were involved.

I'm guessing that they had PS4s connected to monitors on their office desks while they were programming, and didn't take the time to actually see how it looks & plays from 10 feet away. Even on my 55" 4KTV, it's really bad. The original, simple interface was absolutely perfect for consoles (except for the lack of an autopause option back then...that was a REAL pain). The PS4 & XboneX may be powerful enough to use the PC interface, but they're not meant to.

Testers were a solid mix of PC and Console Terraria players - some with deep expertise. I have no idea what everyone's unique set up was. I absolutely know that at least some used TVs, if not all. It was not an "open beta" if that is what you are asking? I suspect it may be accurate that the devs themselves used monitors at their desks - most devs I've ever watched work, that is how it is. Devs =/= Testers though.

Is it safe to say the Terraria fans used for testing listed PC as preferred method of play?

For some, I'm sure. For all, not even remotely.

(I am not quite sure where this is getting us though? As I said elsewhere, my focus is on solving what is here, not theorizing on the path to the present.)

The old interface may be comfortable but I am just trying to be up front with that I severely doubt its coming back. Not saying what you have now cannot be adjusted or tweaked to optimize the experience - and THAT is where I'm trying to distill what could work. Several people have had some good ideas that I have jotted down there for sure.

Build an afk farm the the hallowed moon and for the Pumpkin-King, and fight the Martian Invasion inside it while active. (The one with the slimes and honey).

That's when it glitches. I spent alot of time farming that event and never glitched once. Sorry for no photos or video, but it is difficult to duplicate the Martian invasion to duplicate the bug.

I did Beta testing for WoW, DAoC, Ultima Online, and many other games. Even some console games when it is offered. I'm.saying this because the coding was far more complex in those systems.

Live beta testing, real world user created maps, sending the update to simulate the update with a variety of systems. I would have seen these glitches and issues within minutes.

If you truly did have console players testing this, don't bring that group back in again. Ever. They failed your company. Or did a perfect job. Did they all have perfect vision playing on a gigantic 100" 4k television on a upgraded PlayStation? If they got paid, I certainly hope you can write it off as a tax deduction.

Might be too critical, but I have to put the game aside until you fix it. My children even put the controllers down frustrated.

real world user created maps,

Just making it clear that real-world user maps were requested, sent in, and used for testing - from save conversions to in game situations and more. That was precisely the idea.

I would have seen these glitches and issues within minutes.

So would the people involved, trust me - but so many of these bugs simply did not occur. I'm not sure what else to say about that. Nor why in the world they appeared in the retail launch and never before (again, like the stone thing or the "tower death" thing).

The whole menu thing - some people have no issues other than its new and different and takes adjustment time... others seem to hate it. I've documented that fully along with suggestions to sort it - I can imagine that will be one of the first things looked at.

Sorry to hear that they are that frustrated - never a fun thing, when the kids are displeased. :(

Again, my goal is the hear out the biggest complaints and best ideas and get them in front of the team so calls can get made and tweaks needed done. Well that and gathering the bug info...

All I can say is that is being done and will be done and sorry to the folks that are not enjoying what they have on hand. Hopefully, whatever fixes come will solve your areas of frustration.

Sorry to hear that they are that frustrated - never a fun thing, when the kids are displeased. :(

Thanks Loki. I also wanted to add that my 5 year old is refusing to play as well because he has to stand right AT the TV in order to see his inventory. He can't read yet so he has to rely on seeing the icons in the inventory to know what to do with an item. It breaks your heart to hear him say "This game is stupid. I want the old Terraria back."

Thanks Loki. I also wanted to add that my 5 year old is refusing to play as well because he has to stand right AT the TV in order to see his inventory. He can't read yet so he has to rely on seeing the icons in the inventory to know what to do with an item. It breaks your heart to hear him say "This game is stupid. I want the old Terraria back."

Yeah, that's rough. My 7 & 9 have been playing Terraria for 3 years and counting, and I certainly wouldn't want that experience at all :( . Again, rest assured it is not falling on deaf ears. Just trying to be clear on the scope of possible solutions so we can all work together to generate ideas that will work. :)

)- Many times I need to craft a bunch of one item at a time. For example: gold bars. To do this I’ll hold down the quick craft button and the gold bars will quickly be crafted. Excellent. What is not excellent, however, is that when I run out of gold ore (the resource for crafting the item) the option to craft the gold bars will disappear and a new item will be selected for crafting (e.g. a gold axe) and if I haven't released the quick craft button in the split second of time between when my gold bars ran out and the gold axe was selected the new item will also be crafted, leaving me with a stupid gold axe, and no gold bars. Seems like this could be avoided if when you’re crafting an item and run out of resources for that item, it wouldn’t automatically disappear from the crafting menu, maybe it would just be greyed out (signifying that you don’t have any more resources to craft that item) and then when you navigate off of the item the option to craft it disappears, like it does now (thus avoiding any accidental gold axe crafting). Also having items that you can craft but don't have the resources for available to see is useful so you know what resources you need more of to craft those items... like in the old console version...

- When you open a chest there should be a button assigned to ‘loot all’ (like L2 for example) so you don’t have to navigate nine slots over, and six slots down when a something is chasing you but you still want to grab the loot from the chest you just found.

Thanks for bringing these 2 things up! Once I read an explanation of the 2 crafting menus, it all clicked for me and I'm ok with it EXCEPT how it doesn't stop once you've run out of materials for the item you're making. I made a couple of extra things I didn't need because it just keeps going down the list of things you can make.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one annoyed by the 9 steps over and 6 down to get to the Loot All option. But it's not even 9 over and 6 down! You have to zigzag your way there because you can't move down from your coins and ammo slots.

I started Terraria on the PS3. Then moved to PC. Then moved back to PS4 (mainly because there was no controller support on the PC at that time)

When I switched to PC, I experienced a lot of the angst that people are feeling right now. I can tell you that I got used to it after a while. I really liked it once I experienced the crafting from chests! Just put all of your potion ingredients in a chest and forget about them. Quickstack to nearby chests whenever you return and then craft what you need.

What gear are you using?
Spectral at the time. I'm using Nebula now and it has been happening a lot less often but im not sure if that's just a coincidence. I think the key to the smooth gameflow is to not die lol. (Tho it did freeze one round at the exact moment I killed the moonlord).
Also, when I play multiplayer online the game freezes whenever I use the rainbow crystal staff. It is nice that I can finally get online now but when I try hosting an online game myself I keep just getting a black screen.
Are there any plans to bring the upload feature back to the game? When I finally get multiplayer working I fear having my maps destroyed by random people that have nothing better to do. It only takes seconds to destroy thousands of hours of building.

Yeah, that's rough. My 7 & 9 have been playing Terraria for 3 years and counting, and I certainly wouldn't want that experience at all :( . Again, rest assured it is not falling on deaf ears. Just trying to be clear on the scope of possible solutions so we can all work together to generate ideas that will work. :)

So question for you about the world conversion issue. I know the devs are working on it. But I'm wondering if whatever fix they come up with will be automatically applied to everyone or if we'll be able to somehow contact them to get our worlds back?

My issue wasn't related to the conversion issue but with their backup of the system prior to the update it kind of sounds like they may be able to help get my missing world's back just due to the nature of the fix they're creating.

Spectral at the time. I'm using Nebula now and it has been happening a lot less often but im not sure if that's just a coincidence. I think the key to the smooth gameflow is to not die lol. (Tho it did freeze one round at the exact moment I killed the moonlord).

So, it's not every death? Just sometimes?

Also, when I play multiplayer online the game freezes whenever I use the rainbow crystal staff. It is nice that I can finally get online now but when I try hosting an online game myself I keep just getting a black screen.

Would love video of those - even if just shot from a phone that will work.

Are there any plans to bring the upload feature back to the game? When I finally get multiplayer working I fear having my maps destroyed by random people that have nothing better to do. It only takes seconds to destroy thousands of hours of building.

Does the method below not work? (had one of our moderators that has a PS4 look into it and he was able to up/download)

ps4-upload-download-1.jpg

So question for you about the world conversion issue. I know the devs are working on it. But I'm wondering if whatever fix they come up with will be automatically applied to everyone or if we'll be able to somehow contact them to get our worlds back?

My issue wasn't related to the conversion issue but with their backup of the system prior to the update it kind of sounds like they may be able to help get my missing world's back just due to the nature of the fix they're creating.

My understanding is that the conversion process just makes copies of the old worlds in the new system format. The original files are left in there as a backup in case of just this situation. @ClearConscious may have more details. (apologies if I misunderstand your issue - is this the worlds will not convert/crash on convert thing?)

If players manually deleted their saves, I am not sure there is anything that anyone can do there - much like it would be with any deleted file. PW does not have access to player saves on their accounts (saves are usually tied to the hardware or the player's account profile).

I started Terraria on the PS3. Then moved to PC. Then moved back to PS4 (mainly because there was no controller support on the PC at that time)

When I switched to PC, I experienced a lot of the angst that people are feeling right now. I can tell you that I got used to it after a while. I really liked it once I experienced the crafting from chests! Just put all of your potion ingredients in a chest and forget about them. Quickstack to nearby chests whenever you return and then craft what you need.
I can see how it would be easy to get used to the PC UI on a PC. I just don't see what the benefits of it are on the PS4, I don't have a scroll wheel or a cursor so many of the conveniences of the UI don't apply, you still have to tab between the menus so there's no real advantages to this UI over the old one. Quickstack and Crafting from chests is great, but there's no reason you couldn't add those systems to the old style UI.

My understanding is that the conversion process just makes copies of the old worlds in the new system format. The original files are left in there as a backup in case of just this situation. @ClearConscious may have more details. (apologies if I misunderstand your issue - is this the worlds will not convert/crash on convert thing?)

If players manually deleted their saves, I am not sure there is anything that anyone can do there - much like it would be with any deleted file. PW does not have access to player saves on their accounts (saves are usually tied to the hardware or the player's account profile).

That's what I figured but I keep getting told that PW has a cloud backup of everything. Was pretty sure that's not even possible (pulling files off every individual PS4 without the users being aware?)

Anyway, quick rundown of my issue: updated the game, was still having a crash issue with player 2 leaving co-op play, so I backed up my data to USB and initialized the PS4. Was not aware that backing up data is profile specific so never backed up son or husband's data. Also when I imported it again at least 1 of my world's is missing and it doesn't appear to have been backed up in the first place, even though I used Select All. Very sad about losing that world as I'd put in a lot of work and all of my items were there.

So, it's not every death? Just sometimes?

There were a couple times where him killing me didn't freeze the game. (But for the most part if I died the game would freeze) it hasn't froze at all today (aside from the rainbow crystal staff freezing online multiplayer) but that could be because he doesn't kill me anymore. Something about him killing me just messes eveything up.
I'm not sure of this makes a difference at all but I'm playing on a ps4 pro

Am i misunderstanding this or are the worlds that were there before the update, but missing after the update, gone for good?

All the new dyes look amazing! Im flying around on a negative cute fishron ^^
[doublepost=1513495010,1513494612][/doublepost]While holding a negative balloon hehehe <3

The game also freezes for me when this alien kills me . I just got messed up by a space worm ;.; ... All i wants is to make more Celestial Sigils mr. Space worm.. That's all I wants..

Attachments

• 20171217_003801.jpg
    20171217_003801.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 120
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom