Official Console 1.3 Update Feedback Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering if there will be an update for the 3ds? It would make sense to give that one an update with the Nintendo switch.

I am wondering if there will be an update for the 3ds? It would make sense to give that one an update with the Nintendo switch.

3DS will not receive the 1.3 update. It's hardware isn't capable of handling the increased specs.

The Nintendo Switch version is effectively the successor to the 3DS version starting with 1.3.0.7, similar to how it was for Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

Welp. I just lost 2 HOURS of progress because of this stupid glitch. It happens every so often but I'm afraid to sort chests because of it. It's like a 50% chance of the game crashing completely when I try to use the "sort chest" option. PLEASE fix this asap because it's pissing me off a lot. Lmao

Welp. I just lost 2 HOURS of progress because of this stupid glitch. It happens every so often but I'm afraid to sort chests because of it. It's like a 50% chance of the game crashing completely when I try to use the "sort chest" option. PLEASE fix this asap because it's pissing me off a lot. Lmao
I've never had any issues with that feature, and I use it often. It's the first time I hear about this. Have you noticed any particular pattern? E.g. is there any particular type of items that causes the game to crash when using "sort chest"?

If you haven't already I recommend you make a thread in the bug report section that includes a screenshot or two of a typical chest inventory that crash when sorted. Then report the issue to the developers, linking to the thread you just made. Terraria: Console & Mobile Bug Form

I always liked the idea of having new content in terraria console edition (Xbox 360 and ONE) but that's just about it... Why did they had to change the in game menu for crafting? it was perfect on 360... And the character creation was also very good. The default zoom terraria had on 360 was also very good. Well... many of these things can be changed but for some reason they do NOT SAVE and it's very annoying to have to set them every single time you play. I'm talking about zoom and D-pad Hotbar for quick select items or weapons, now this should have been fixed a while ago and I'm not seeing it happening any soon. It saddens me but well this it's just an opinion. I would love some things go back the way they where in 360 that's all.

Due to switch version's launch I played more console 1.3, I'm into a good chunk into the game now and I have more feedback.
Everything Pipeworks has done/added to the switch version is well implemented, like the touchscreen input and small things like making the UI disappear when you use an item from inside your inventory. But instead of having the whole inventory UI disappear it would be nice to just close into a hotbar until you open the inventory up again.

One problem that bothered me since 1.3 on XB1 and PS4 is how the smart cursor felt.
It doesn't feel as responsive like on PC and I've only been playing PC with a controller since it's 1.3.1 update.
Console's smart cursor feels slow and is inaccurate at the ends of the x and y axis. As I circle my cursor around the player it slows down around those areas. Most of my deaths on the switch version has been caused by it's inaccuracy, missing most of my shots when an enemy is slightly below my x axis. I move the cursor from left to right is slow too, the input speed and visual feedback affect's the player's actions and in return feel less responsive and/or slow. In some way, i'd like the cursor to be, or feel just snappy or fast like the PC version's. I keep feeling like I always have this sort of input delay.

I'd suggest you could add that if the stick is moved at a certain fast speed, disable the cursor smoothing until it goes below specified high speed.
And for the X axis and Y axis thing, maybe not slowing down cursor movement around those areas and instead lock on the axis when the cursor has been in a certain radius around those axis until it's moved out
(and maybe sliders for the radius thing too).

I'm sure cursor accuracy isn't as big of a deal before since autoaim was brought to consoles, I'd like to mention is much different than PC's autoaim and it's more like aim assist which I like more than PC's autoaim since it still requires you to aim.

I'd also like to expand on my past suggestion with "the ability to bind two buttons for the same action like X/A and L3/Left Stick for jump" from my post here from 2 years ago.
Before console 1.3, classic console had this which made aiming, shooting, running backwards, and keeping yourself in the air with wings easier and made my fingers not end up in an awkward/uncomfortable position or in claw. Just more controller input customisation. I changed jump to B on Switch and now every time I close menus I keep jumping which gets pretty annoying.

And for inventory UI so that it would be easier to know which inventory space I'm on, I'd suggest having parts of the UI that I'm not on, fade out so I know which part of the UI I'm in. And when I switch to a new section maybe have a glow or indicator that show that the "cursor" has moved to that part of the inventory.

Otherwise keep up the great work!

Last edited:
I always liked the idea of having new content in terraria console edition (Xbox 360 and ONE) but that's just about it... Why did they had to change the in game menu for crafting? it was perfect on 360... And the character creation was also very good. The default zoom terraria had on 360 was also very good. Well... many of these things can be changed but for some reason they do NOT SAVE and it's very annoying to have to set them every single time you play. I'm talking about zoom and D-pad Hotbar for quick select items or weapons, now this should have been fixed a while ago and I'm not seeing it happening any soon. It saddens me but well this it's just an opinion. I would love some things go back the way they where in 360 that's all.
I know it’s pathetic but it came out ages ago now and they still don’t seem to be trying to fix it I was exited to play terraria for years but when I got it it was unplayable from the 1.3 update in the end I uninstalled and haven’t got to play 😡

I feel like this has been said before but just want to say it myself. I played Terraria on the xbox 360 for years and loved it. Easy controls, good gameplay ext. I kept playing on 360 for a while but got it for the xbox one recently and there was one thing that stood out more than anything. The inventory/crafting menu. Before it was an easy system where you could easily arrange your inventory, craft items and just generally have a good time. The menu's were separated meaning they could be seen better ext. Then I saw it on xbox 1, and I have a few questions and comments

I'm aware that you are trying to bring it up to the standard of pc, but there is a huge difference between the two. This crafting system must work great for pc, I understand, but for a console it just doesn't work as well as the old UI. This is my main point. Is there any way in which the old UI could be brought back as an option. I say this because I also was confused by the controls, but found a classic console format which I was more used to, so could this be done with the crafting menu. (although I know nothing about game development perhaps this change could be in the options menu of the home screen so it has time to load the new crafting menu?)

If someone could get back to me on this I'd appreciate it. Other than the crafting menu however, the game is incredible as always and I can't wait to progress, although I might wait and see if it gets changed before playing with this menu only to find out it may be changed.

Thanks again

When Pipeworks brought 1.3 to consoles, they were more or less forced to implement the pc ui 1:1. That has of course led to a lot of critisism. Re-Logic doesn't really understand consoles or their users needs. But things are changing. Now DR works on bringing 1.4 to consoles. Previously they worked on the Mobile port and did a great job with that. From screenshots posted so far it seems that they are reworking the ui. Apparently they are planning on keeping the pc ui as an option, but there will be a new one that's hopefully better.

When Pipeworks brought 1.3 to consoles, they were more or less forced to implement the pc ui 1:1. That has of course led to a lot of critisism. Re-Logic doesn't really understand consoles or their users needs. But things are changing. Now DR works on bringing 1.4 to consoles. Previously they worked on the Mobile port and did a great job with that. From screenshots posted so far it seems that they are reworking the ui. Apparently they are planning on keeping the pc ui as an option, but there will be a new one that's hopefully better.
OK thanks. I'm glad they've actually listened to people.

I really itch to see how DR plans on handling Inventory/Chest management. There haven't been any screenshots on that yet. I really hope that they will return to using tabs as the first console port that Engine developed did. That was so intuitive and fast to work with.

Not to burst anyone's bubbles here - but the old Engine UI is not making a comeback. We have been pretty clear about that over time.

That isn't to say that things cannot be improved upon from a control and UI perspective - but the goal of giving "as similar as possible experiences" has not gone away. However, there is a more determined focus on also making things tweakable to optimize the experience on each platform (as you have seen on mobile) than there was back then.

I doubt it will make everyone happy, but I am pretty confident that it will mark a step forward (along with keeping the current ways for anyone so inclined).

As long as I can move things quickly between Inventory and Chests while maintaining control over where in the Inventory/Chest that it ends up, I'm happy. I can't really do that (at least not fast) with the current console ui. I'm rather specific about how I organize things, it helps me a lot down the road.

Not to burst anyone's bubbles here - but the old Engine UI is not making a comeback. We have been pretty clear about that over time.

That isn't to say that things cannot be improved upon from a control and UI perspective - but the goal of giving "as similar as possible experiences" has not gone away. However, there is a more determined focus on also making things tweakable to optimize the experience on each platform (as you have seen on mobile) than there was back then.

I doubt it will make everyone happy, but I am pretty confident that it will mark a step forward (along with keeping the current ways for anyone so inclined).
Aww that's crappy. Is there any reason why the old UI isn't coming back?

Aww that's crappy. Is there any reason why the old UI isn't coming back?

Consistency, coupled with the fact that the game has outgrown that 1.2-era approach. Sorry that is upsetting - though we have been pretty clear on this front over time. :)

Again, all that said, I am sure that DR will aim to enhance the experience any way that they can - along with, again, some form of legacy/current approach for those that do not want change.

I'm a bit saddened by this. I thought/hoped Re-Logic had learned something from the critique surrounding the console ui. A console is not a pc, and not a mobile either. Each device and it's users have certain needs/requirements that needs to be met for things to work in as a optimal way as possible. You can't really use the same solution in every situation. But DR seems competent. I'm going to wait and see what they come up with. Hopefully it will work well enough.

If you jumped because I mentioned Engine (I know that's a gnarly subject), then I'm sorry for bringing it up. Let old dogs lie.

By the way, you used to be one of us. First just a fan then a moderator, now an employee. You seem to be all employee now. Please don't forget where you came from.

If you jumped because I mentioned Engine (I know that's a gnarly subject), then I'm sorry for bringing it up. Let old dogs lie.

Not at all - apologies if it came off otherwise.

I thought/hoped Re-Logic had learned something from the critique surrounding the console ui. A console is not a pc, and not a mobile either.

I would say that this is the case.... case in point being the leeway DR has been given thus far with Mobile (I mean, that vertical hotbar was sheer madness... except that it works really well in that context) and with the idea that there will be parallel leeway with Console. I was just trying to be clear that "the way it was in 1.2" isn't going to be what that will be. Just trying to keep to consistent expectations and be transparent rather than give nebulous and meaningless placating statements. :)

By the way, you used to be one of us. First just a fan then a moderator, now an employee. You seem to be all employee now. Please don't forget where you came from.

Thought I was still "one of us" - if us means Terraria fans and part of the community. Never left, haven't since 2011. However, I do have to balance what I say now vs, say, 2011... as I am representing not only myself, but also whatever I say will be taken as representative of the company. My goal in all of that is to be as wholly transparent as I physically can be, and that includes sharing information and the rationale behind it (for both my decisions as well as those made by others). Apologies if that has somehow come off the wrong way to you - but this is feedback that I will keep in mind for the future.

Please don't remove the legacy items with console 1.4. For some reason I feel that you intend to do that though you haven't talked about it at all. I can feel it in my bones.

Keeping things as similar as possible is cool and all, but taking away the pinch to zoom on PS4, which was super handy, because it wasn't available on other platforms, but then adding it to Switch seems kinda silly.
Can we get a maybe at least to giving PS4 back pinch to zoom?

Not at all - apologies if it came off otherwise.

I would say that this is the case.... case in point being the leeway DR has been given thus far with Mobile (I mean, that vertical hotbar was sheer madness... except that it works really well in that context) and with the idea that there will be parallel leeway with Console. I was just trying to be clear that "the way it was in 1.2" isn't going to be what that will be. Just trying to keep to consistent expectations and be transparent rather than give nebulous and meaningless placating statements. :)

Thought I was still "one of us" - if us means Terraria fans and part of the community. Never left, haven't since 2011. However, I do have to balance what I say now vs, say, 2011... as I am representing not only myself, but also whatever I say will be taken as representative of the company. My goal in all of that is to be as wholly transparent as I physically can be, and that includes sharing information and the rationale behind it (for both my decisions as well as those made by others). Apologies if that has somehow come off the wrong way to you - but this is feedback that I will keep in mind for the future.

On the contrary. You can play PC like a console and I'm already used to the setup. I just put on autopause when using a controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom