Official Console 1.3 Update Feedback Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another major thing missing is the little white grid that appears around the cursor when I'm trying to place blocks. It made it so much easier to line things up, such as when I'm trying to build something that's 15 blocks wide, and if something gets screwed up while doing it, I don't need to start it over because I can see the grid and tell how many blocks are there (yes, you have to count them 1 at a time, but you can see the actual placement squares and don't have to estimate).

And no, I'm not talking about the item that makes the big blue building grid appear. That thing is a headache.
[doublepost=1513418196,1513418036][/doublepost]
Instead of having individual personal names, they're now just "Angler", "Machinist", "Party Girl", etc. This happened to all of my old worlds. I started a new character & world, and the names there work fine, though.
The little 9 square grid is there. It's just very faint (like everything else in this UI) and if you zoom in you can't see it at all.

For the NPCs that makes sense. I've only been playing in a new world.

New inventory menu is atrocious on console. I understand the devs want the same experience across all platforms, but that just isn't possible. Each build she be optimized for the respective platform. I can barely read the inventory and equipment items on my screen with this new update. It works well for pc I'm sure. But I really can't get into the game when I'm squinting at the screen searching for an item in my inventory. The crafting system was completely overhauled and it seems you can't view recipes anymore (I could be wrong). Also, the yellow cursor that used to appear in build mode has been replaced with crosshairs which, again, is probably ideal for PC, but doesn't work so well on console. I only played for a few weeks before this update came out, but I'm probably going to uninstall this game now. I'll also be sure not to recommend this game anymore as the User Interface has been trashed with version 1.3. Hopefully devs restore an option for the original menu and crafting system prior to the latest update. Shame, I was just getting into this game too. I guess I'll check out Minecraft now.

For Devs - When you patch in the UI size slider in a future update, can you also work on an opacity slider? I think that would make everyone very happy. Maybe a background color selector to the opacity too. When I am underground and the background is solid black, the inventory and crafting sections looks quite nice.

For Devs - The item disappearing bug seems to be a real nuisance. It is very random, and only occurs for me about 1 in 100 item moves. I think I have found one that is reproducible that may help you troubleshoot. Starting with no torches in the inventory, craft some torches. Hit circle to exit crafting. Hit L3 to bring out a torch. Torches are gone. I have done this a few times and it happens each time. If I manually place the torches in inventory, then exit and hit L3, the torch will be there.

Greetings. I’ve been playing Terraria on PS4 for several years now and absolutely love it. I’ve been really excited for the 1.3 update and am really happy that it is finally here! It looks great and I’m really loving all of the new content. I’ve only played a few hours but I have some feedback that I think could really improve the overall experience of the game on console. Right now it feels a little bit too much like a PC game that I’m trying to play with a controller, which can make some simple things feel a little clunky/awkward or just take too much time in game. I’m by no means a Terraria pro, so I need all the help I can get, and the faster I can do things, the more likely it is that I can not die… all the time (like I’ve been doing since 1.3 went live haha). Below is a list of some of the things that I think could improve the feel of the game on console overall. I’ve broken it into sections that I think each thing would likely fall under. If you need a more clear explanation, or would like to see an example of what I’m talking about please let me know and I can try to be more descriptive or upload a photo/video or something.

The Smart Cursor Function – I think most of the problems/fixes below stem from the Smart Cursor function. I’m not sure if this is what it’s called but it’s basically when you point in a direction with the thumb sticks the cursor goes that way and when you don’t point a direction is centers back on your character. This is the main mode that I like to play in for combat, exploration, etc. and I feel like it’s a little clunky. For example:

- Item placement – When placing an item on the ground, let’s say a workbench, it would be nice to just point the thumb stick down at the ground and press the use item button and it would be placed on the ground in the direction my cursor was pointed. As it plays right now though, the item won’t place on the ground, because the cursor itself is below the ground. To get the item to place on the ground I have to angle the control stick just slightly down so that the cursor is just hovering over the ground (i.e. it has to be directly where the item will be placed instead of just pointed in the direction the item will be placed). It’s much easier to make broad strokes with the thumb stick (i.e. just point it down) than hold it slightly off of center. When using thumb sticks that are half an inch tall this requires WAY more precision and time than placing a simple workbench on the ground should take. I think to fix this you should just be able to hold the direction (i.e. down) and the item will auto place on the surface nearest to the character in the direction the cursor is pointing, that the item can be placed on. This would also be useful for doors (i.e. the door will automatically be place in the place in the empty space 3 blocks high that I’m pointing the cursor towards rather than having to place the cursor directly where the space for the door is).

- Along the same lines as item placement is block placement when in smart cursor mode. The best example of this is when I want to build blocks right under my feet to boost me up to a ledge or something. The way I would like to do this is point the cursor down (all the way down), hold the use item button, and jump up and down several times and the blocks would be placed under me as I jump. As it is right now, if there are an surfaces to the side or even above my character when I just the smart cursor will place the blocks on that surface *even if I’m pointing it in the exact opposite direction*. If I’m pointing the cursor in a direction, that’s the direction I want the blocks to be placed in.

Crafting and Item menu – the crafting and item menus are another area I think the quality of life could be improved, with some functions that could speed things up a bit.

- When crafting things, I think ‘quick craft’ should be the default ‘X’ button (i.e. when I craft something I would prefer it to automatically be placed in my inventory, instead of stuck on the cursor). I think 99% of the time I’m not going to care where the item ends up in my inventory, and I don’t want to have to navigate over to the inventory place the item down and navigate back to the crafting menu to craft another item.
- If we could place items in the world directly from the crafting menu then I wouldn’t mind the item defaulting to the cursor after it’s crafted (e.g. I just crafted a workbench in the crafting menu and instead of placing it in my inventory, placing it in the top bar of my inventory, getting out of the inventory menu, selecting the item from the item bar and then placing it in the world, I could just craft it, move my cursor with the work bench on it to the place I want to place it, and place it down all without having to exit the crafting menu).​

- Many times I need to craft a bunch of one item at a time. For example: gold bars. To do this I’ll hold down the quick craft button and the gold bars will quickly be crafted. Excellent. What is not excellent, however, is that when I run out of gold ore (the resource for crafting the item) the option to craft the gold bars will disappear and a new item will be selected for crafting (e.g. a gold axe) and if I haven't released the quick craft button in the split second of time between when my gold bars ran out and the gold axe was selected the new item will also be crafted, leaving me with a stupid gold axe, and no gold bars. Seems like this could be avoided if when you’re crafting an item and run out of resources for that item, it wouldn’t automatically disappear from the crafting menu, maybe it would just be greyed out (signifying that you don’t have any more resources to craft that item) and then when you navigate off of the item the option to craft it disappears, like it does now (thus avoiding any accidental gold axe crafting). Also having items that you can craft but don't have the resources for available to see is useful so you know what resources you need more of to craft those items... like in the old console version...

- It seems like right now when I map an item to the D-pad, the D-pad is actually mapped to the slot in the inventory, not the item itself. Thus when I sort my inventory, or move items around, or reload a game all of the mappings disappear. It would be very helpful if the D-pad mapping was to the item itself, not the slot so when you move or reorganize items you don’t have to remap everything every time. Also, D-pad mapping should probably be the default option… It is WAY to useful to have a weapon, light, pickaxe, etc. only the touch of a button away, instead of trying to scroll through your item bar to select these essential items when a skeleton, zombie, eater of worlds, etc. suddenly appears when you’re catching fire flies or hunting for loot.

- When you open a chest there should be a button assigned to ‘loot all’ (like L2 for example) so you don’t have to navigate nine slots over, and six slots down when a something is chasing you but you still want to grab the loot from the chest you just found.

Other

- An Opacity option/slider would be great! Some things are hard to see when they’re semi-translucent.

These are just my first few thoughts after spending a few hours in 1.3 on PS4. I think most of these ideas are consistent with how the Terraria operated on PS4 before the 1.3 update. I really love the game and think you guys have done a terrific job! But I think it could be even better once some of the controls/menus are smoothed out a bit. Thanks for listening to the feedback of a guy that get’s way too mad when he wastes his gold bars by accidentally crafting a stupid gold axe.

Well I hope I got the update right because ps4 says ver. 1.07 .
We play with splitscreen and haven't got any big bugs... Except the lost world...
THE CRAFTING Menu is terrible... We have a big TV but on splitscreen you can't read anything..please work on this again
Another thing is the map...going to the cavern all is black. Before the update the area around the discovered area could be seen on the map...now the blocks around stay black. Maybe there is an Accessoire for crafting.. I don't know, but I have to say...in some bioms it works sometimes.
But except of that I think you did a great job. My son love this game.. He likes the desert most

For Devs - When you patch in the UI size slider in a future update, can you also work on an opacity slider? I think that would make everyone very happy. Maybe a background color selector to the opacity too. When I am underground and the background is solid black, the inventory and crafting sections looks quite nice.

For Devs - The item disappearing bug seems to be a real nuisance. It is very random, and only occurs for me about 1 in 100 item moves. I think I have found one that is reproducible that may help you troubleshoot. Starting with no torches in the inventory, craft some torches. Hit circle to exit crafting. Hit L3 to bring out a torch. Torches are gone. I have done this a few times and it happens each time. If I manually place the torches in inventory, then exit and hit L3, the torch will be there.
I think the disappearing items is limited to using the L3 build option. I don't use it at all and haven't had anything disappear.

I’ve submitted two big reports so far: the wonky split screen for player one during an event, and an issue with items from my quickbar disappearing.

Has anyone else experienced the latter? I haven’t seen anyone say anything, but I’ve lost my Terrablade several times now. Kind of annoying.

For what it’s worth, I agree that the layover on the inventory is really unreadable, and I have a 70” TV. Also, crafting is... not great at all. I am really loving 1.3 from a content perspective. Overall I’m happy.

Oh, also why did we get rid of quick cloud saves? We can pull from the cloud but not push. That was incredibly handy. I’d love to see that brought back.

Well, of course there is negativity. Every single change was for the worse. The new UI made the game literally unplayable. I'm actually quite impressed this thread is as civil as it is, from how bad the update was I was expecting a lot of profanity by now.
well i was able to defeat Plantera, a few mothrons, and then farm golem with cthulu yoyo..i dont think you can call that unplayable

I've just reported this bug, but was wondering if anyone else had come across the same problem.

Items are permanently lost from the inventory when activating Build Mode without picking up an item.

Steps to reproduce:

1. While not in inventory, select an item on your hotbar
2. Open inventory
3. Move to a different item in the inventory
4. Click Build Mode to use the selected item in the world
5. What was previous selected in the hotbar before entering the inventory will vanish and what you were over will be ready to place in the world

If you pick up the item, before clicking Build Mode, the problem doesn't occur. It also only seemed to affect player 1 in a two player split screen game.

I lost a few nice items to this bug, before I realised what was happening.

This pretty much exactly what happened to me. Playing with my daughter and looked up and my bone axe was gone. Little later I was building something and managed to delete my tendon bow. So confused but now I see what must have happened.

I liked the old menus better. Now its so hard to see anything in the inventory because it overlaps the world.

I do like most of the other changes to aesthetics (but for some reason my weapon disappeared...). I also lost a ton of stuff because I made an expert world and now it won't load and all my potion making stuff and fishing stuff is there.
[doublepost=1513467591,1513467519][/doublepost]
This pretty much exactly what happened to me. Playing with my daughter and looked up and my bone axe was gone. Little later I was building something and managed to delete my tendon bow. So confused but now I see what must have happened.
This happened to me too. I reported it as well. I lost two cobalt pickaxes and a cutlass before I decided it had to be a bug

FWIW, the item disappearance bug appears to be related possibly to entering build mode while in a chest’s inventory. Watch my terra blade in slot 1:

I appreciate all the hard work and effort that Pipeworks put into rebuilding Terraria for console, but I have to echo most of the complaints here. The changes made to the UI really sour the entire experience and honestly have sapped all the enthusiasm for the game I had prior to the update. I hope that some changes can be made to restore the old UI, even as an alternative, because this new one simply doesn't function as a console UI.

I can see how it would be convenient with a mouse, being able to craft and move items around all in the one screen, but with a controller and having to tab between sections with the bumpers I don't see how we get any benefit from this new UI. What's the point of having everything on one screen when I can't drag items smoothly from one section to another, it functions the same as the old system except now I have to squint.

It's difficult to see, far too small (especially on split-screen), and issues with flashing text, transparency and the tooltips obscuring everything make using the new inventory a eye strain inducing experience.

But crafting is the one change that really ruins the experience for me. The new systems all combine to make things confusing, clumsy and an annoying chore to use. The old crafting UI wasn't perfect but it was clean and organised and gave the information that I needed to plan ahead and collect ingredients and materials I needed. It was key to the flow of the game, I could set a goal of making a new tool or weapon or armour and see what I needed to make it then head off into the world and try to find it. That whole aspect of the game is just gone, and the only way I can see to even come close is to play with a wiki open at all times, which seems like a real step backwards.

I have seen it said that this is more to the intended design of the game, but it seems strange to change gears so suddenly in a core element four years into the console version's lifespan. And if the Guide is the intended way for these elements to function surely there's a cleaner way to do this (the guide is also really clunky to use in the current version, I haven't figured out how to get him to show me recipes yet, perhaps he's just bugged right now) like having the guide "unlock" the new recipes by showing him materials in the same way finding new materials functioned previously in showing you new items you could craft.

Having two separate crafting menus (I still don't fully understand the purpose of the grid that just takes you to the massive unsorted list) and two separate crafting buttons, along with having to manually put newly crafted items into the inventory just makes the whole thing a massive clumsy chore.

There's a lot of smaller issues and changes (some of them I assume are bugs), such as the changes to how the "fog of war" and lighting works which makes mining take a lot more effort than before, or the changes to the way the cursor works when placing objects, the controls, the clunky zoom function, the way the large map moves in an erratic way, NPCs constantly opening doors and letting zombies in, doors being buggy in general etc. etc. And I could probably deal with and get used to a lot of these changes and issues but I can't get past this new UI.

It's a real shame that my experience with the new patch has come away so negatively, I hope that some changes can be made and the old UI can come back in some way. But right now I would honestly rather forgo all the new shiny things and downgrade back to the old version of the game, and that really sucks.

Wanted to thank @Neill and @Xepherys for the detail and video on the vanishing item bug - extremely helpful to the dev team and I just wanted to pass that along.

As I said pages ago, all feedback is being read and digested. I’ve personally read every word in this thread and the other. Once the worst bugs are cleared out - that has to be the priority first - the team will go over that compiled list. I imagine some things will remain the same, some will get tweaked. What that will all be is TBD, as the team has to be focused on bugs at this instant.

That being the case, no one can make any promises on what will or will not happen just yet. Would say just hang with things as best you can for now. “The way it was” isn’t coming back, but perhaps there are ways to fine tune the new experience that will make it more workable and pleasant for those having issues with the way it is now. Spend some more time with it - it’s a big change - see what grows on you and what remains painful and report back. On the PW side, it’s going to take time to digest design and implement, but again, we didn’t ask for feedback just for the heck of it, right? ;)

Thanks again to those leaving constructive feedback and ideas - keep it coming. :)

While fighting the Martian Invasion, I had the ship sides taken out and was shocked when the game seemed to freeze. Everything was still moving, but the graphics seemed superimposed and locked in place. Teleported and it stayed on the screen.

Quit, reloaded, and it did the same just not as worse.

Referencing the above post from Loki, I appreciate, as we all do, the knowledge that the team is on it. We understand as well that things will not revert. But with all of the changes coukd, when your team knows, produce a list of what is being worked on?

Thanks for.your hard work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom