Official Console 1.3 Update Feedback Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just my imagination or has the opacity of the inventory and the text changed? It's much easier to see tonight.

Is it just my imagination or has the opacity of the inventory and the text changed? It's much easier to see tonight.
It has not, this is from the first day
PS_Messages_20171217_191609.jpg
and this is from about and hour ago.
PS_Messages_20171217_191615.jpg
I haven't had too many issues viewing inventory because I play fully zoomed out. Also helps that I sit around 3 1/2 feet away from my television.

IM not able to post videos of bugs like other people on this forum, but im sure im not the only one who's experienced this. The game crashes a lot when you die, especially on split-screen and especially while using the Stardust Dragon staff

It has not, this is from the first day and this is from about and hour ago. I haven't had too many issues viewing inventory because I play fully zoomed out. Also helps that I sit around 3 1/2 feet away from my television.

You're right. I could see fine because I was on a fairly solid dark background. When standing in my house I can't see anything.
[doublepost=1513573685,1513573398][/doublepost]Just wanted to share something for the folks who are losing items. I somehow lost my pickaxe axe in rearranging chests. Mad, I tried to show my husband how it likely happened (that stupid build mode button) and lost my Terra Blade.

He said to reimport my app data from the USB. We had saved it there just after the update. I did this and got my items back! Luckily didn't lose any progress because I've been working in a world in my son's profile.

Love the game but...
Cant play anymore for following reasons:
Ui scale /menu style / transparency /text flashing makes seeing anything impossible in splitscreen mode and in solo. Zooming in doesnt help. Also the placing cursor is really hard to see (read...cant see at all what im doing) :( Would love old style menus back tbh.

Starting off I would like to say thank you for all the hard work you've put in to this update. As a whole I feel it was completed and implemented exceptionally well compared to past updates I've seen occur on other titles. The only feedback I have is that I would really like to have a private or password option for multiplayer as it has been a real frustration with me and my friends to be able to co-op and create something. It seems now that since the update any random person can join your world that is not on your friends list or been sent and invite and start dismantling what you've built, remove items from your chests, or just take the loot from a boss fight without actually contributing to fighting the boss. I apologize in advance if this is a known issue due to be corrected and I'm unaware of that fact, however if it's intentional it's the only thing I would change. Thank you for all that you do and have done thus far!

How did playstation allow this update to release :redspin:
[doublepost=1513585803,1513585491][/doublepost]Allthough some bugs (some are annoying) the complaints about the UI is nonsense. I can see the ui just fine in any place any time

How did playstation allow this update to release :redspin:
[doublepost=1513585803,1513585491][/doublepost]Allthough some bugs (some are annoying) the complaints about the UI is nonsense. I can see the ui just fine in any place any time

If I walk across the room and sit in front of the TV one metre away, sure I can also read it. However, sitting 4 metres away on my sofa, is an entirely different matter. Consoles are played from across the room, not directly in front of them, so the UI should reflect that.

Tonight was a real rough night of bugs for my friend and I. We were farming the Martian Invasion and I have to say, that event is probably the most busted thing in the game right now. The first 3 we did all crashed by either freezing both our characters in place, unable to take damage or do damage, or just freezing me in place. Even some of my spells ended up frozen in place, which is pretty weird. The Saucer would occasionally "double spawn". Meaning, 2 would spawn on top of each other and when the first died and you kill the 4 parts of the second one, it becomes immune to damage.

There was one time after an invasion was over and I noticed my Stardust dragon looked a little off so I re-summmoned it only for it to decapitate itself somehow and freeze me and the Dragon in place. The game also crashed when I died to a Saucer and when I died to the Moon Lord.

Yesterday the game lagged incredibly when we were farming Golem back to back. It felt like the more we kept killing him, the more more the game would lag. Even his jump felt like it brought the game to the crawl. This feels like a memory leak problem.

I have a video of the Dragon decapitating itself and the Saucer killing me causing a freeze, but I think I will send it through the bug report.

Well, to be fair I can see were he is coming from... Maybe when it was tested it was not obvious that there was any issue with the UI, but for a player that was just a moment ago using the old UI, it becomes immediately obvious that there are significant issues to be ironed out in the new UI.
But this is the exact problem: if the UI you're used to is suddenly overhauled then of course you're going to have issues with it, but that is within a frame or reference. If the playtesters didn't have any issues with the new UI after getting accustomed to it, doesn't that prove, rather than disprove, that it works (at least to some extent)? The fact that the old UI worked for many people doesn't mean that no other variant possibly could.

Of course I'm not saying that any criticism of the new UI isn't valid, but I think that players should try to get accustomed to it before voicing their concerns. Do they still have issues with it after a few hours of playing? Sure, then those are issues that need to be addressed. However, if you're coming in fresh then the only real criticism you possibly can give at that point is "they did this differently to the old one". That does not necessarily make it bad critique, but it's much more useful to the developers to state what is wrong with something (so a solution can be tailor made to fit the problem) than to state that it is worse than how it was (which gives you a solution, but not necessarily the ideal one).

This is not directed at you specifically, by the way, just a general thingy I wanted to address.

Last edited:
Just wanted to share something for the folks who are losing items. I somehow lost my pickaxe axe in rearranging chests. Mad, I tried to show my husband how it likely happened (that stupid build mode button) and lost my Terra Blade.

Not sure if it's related in any way but I just want to point out the utter INSANITY of the developers to choose to have transfer, drop and trash commands all bound to the EXACT SAME BUTTON - but dependant on context for it to change between functions when UI, and specifically inventory management is being used!!!

It's like, rule no 1 when designing something like that. Don't put a delete command on the same button as other commonly used tasks like transfer and drop.

It's utterly BANANAS that they decided to ship with this.

I've said it a million times, I don't mind bugs. Bugs happen. A lot of the time you cannot account for them till the games out in the wild.
What you CAN account for is making a decent job of your design decisions. There's is no situation where this contextual command issue should have been passed off as acceptable or allowed to ship.

Another similar one (though this can be rebound to some extent) is having grapple and interact on the same button as well. Grapple works as long as nothing else is nearby that is able to be interacted with. When building I often use grappling to move about and fill in walls etc. Good luck if there's a door chest NPC or some other interacts let item nearby.

Or if you want to close a chest and there are more nearby or something else to interact with, you get stuck in loops of 5 or 6 repeats of button clicks to get out of a chest (though this may also be hindered somewhat by a bug).

I STILL feel bad for pipeworks, but some of these design mistakes/choices are just...embarrassing to see from my point of view.

*Edit*

Another couple of oversights I'd like to point out is how on the map or minimap there is no longer icons representing enemies in the vicinity. Not sure if that was intentional but seems like is should be in there. And no contextual command for thing alike opening presents. It's weirdly been added to the L2 functionality (which is for taking 1 of a stack for every other splittable item in the game) but has no legend to tell you. And I guess you can't split stacks of presents in that case?

So weird. It's like two different teams have been working on this and didn't think to pass notes detailing what they've done and why when the other team take over.

Last edited:
Seems bananas that they implemented the pc UI, and didn't bring in the functionality of things like interface opacity, interface zoom level, radial menus, and anything more than a very basic rebinding menu. Compared to the pc controller remapping menu it's so basic it's almost a waste of time as there's very little you can do with it to make things better atm.

Also just got a paladin hammer and it's invisible when I use it. Just a fyi bug report.

But this is the exact problem: if the UI you're used to is suddenly overhauled then of course you're going to have issues with it, but that is within a frame or reference. If the playtesters didn't have any issues with the new UI after getting accustomed to it, doesn't that prove, rather than disprove, that it works (at least to some extent)? The fact that the old UI worked for many people doesn't mean that no other variant possibly could.

Of course I'm not saying that any criticism of the new UI isn't valid, but I think that players should try to get accustomed to it before voicing their concerns. Do they still have issues with it after a few hours of playing? Sure, then those are issues that need to be addressed. However, if you're coming in fresh then the only real criticism you possibly can give at that point is "they did this differently to the old one". That does not necessarily make it bad critique, but it's much more useful to the developers to state what is wrong with something (so a solution can be tailor made to fit the problem) than to state that it is worse than how it was (which gives you a solution, but not necessarily the ideal one).

This is not directed at you specifically, by the way, just a general thingy I wanted to address.

Hi there.

I did try to provide some ideas about how to improve the new UI in another post, here: https://forums.terraria.org/index.p...te-feedback-thread.64220/page-17#post-1506465
Of course there is always some discomfort when using a new UI, but after playing for some time I have a strong opinion that this is not the major issue here. As I said before, there are some things you can't really get comfortable with, for example not being able to properly see the menus.
When I first started playing terraria on ps4 I don't remember having to struggle too much when trying to navigate the menus, like I'm struggling right now.
I can't say for sure, but my guess is that if people who never played terraria would get to try both the old UI and the new UI as it is right now, most people would prefer the old one. Of course I can't say this for sure, as this would have to be made during testing.

Can someone help me by telling me how to remove buff or view them,I cant seem to find it.

Also,I think pw should check into this as I have no idea what I did.or is them trying to fix the game

When my screen messes up when playing split screen it messes up worse
[doublepost=1513612483,1513612412][/doublepost]
Are you using the Stardust Dragon when you die, then crash? And also, was your world created before the update?

Same issue and my answer is yes

My apologies for being over the top. You've made a wonderful game, and seeing this last iteration was a huge shock. More so for my kids than me.

And the testing and release phase is usually the worst and most stressful time in your existence. I'm sure it will get ironed/steamrolled out.

No worries - apologies as well if I came off as overly harsh. There is a line where we are attacking people vs addressing issues and I felt we had crossed over that line.

That said, I would never want to stifle anyone's passion - that's what I've been saying in welcoming the feedback. All I am trying to do is steer the discussion towards ideas and solutions so that when the team can get to that phase (post-bug squashing), there is a nice robust list of complaints and aligned solutions so that the time between now and fixes can be shortened AND whatever goes in can be more likely to successfully address things. :)

Will console get the 0x33 Aviator's and Pedgyin's suit vanity? Just curious.

I would assume so, yes - but those came in later versions of the game.

tested this several time and got some ideas to solve the issue before PIPEWORKS fixes the issue permanently

What are those ideas? Did you experiment with different things? Did something emerge as a stable trigger for the crash/no crash? Been trying to investigate that on my end.

So first off I get this message when I try to post a bug report for Terraria 1.3 on console

Fixed as of late last night CST. Thanks for the report.

At this point I am fairly certain that every possible critique, nice and the "not so nice"(guilty) have been done. There has been feedback on the UI, vanishing items, freezing, glitching when using specific items, and multiplayer concerns on world integrity. We have collectively provided solutions and suggestions for what we have seen.

For multiplayer, add in a option for autosave toggle and save on exit toggle. Also bring back "invite only" and/or "kick" as mentioned in previous postings. Having a "Ban" option would also be nice after the fact. These allow for protection of our worlds should a uninvited player steal/destroy our work.

Some things we cannot provide solutions for, as they are buried in the code of the game. We can also keep in mind that we will as players test every weapon in controlled and uncontrolled situations. We nearly try to push our games to the limit.

So are we being overly critical? We will see when the patch comes out.

Hi Mr. Loki,

It is my understanding that the whole point of the unified version is so updates are easier/faster to roll out in the future. You don't have to make a whole new version just for console.

So, after ironing out the bugs in the initial release, how soon can we expect to get upgraded to the PC version that has the UI scaling?

Hi Mr. Loki,

It is my understanding that the whole point of the unified version is so updates are easier/faster to roll out in the future. You don't have to make a whole new version just for console.

So, after ironing out the bugs in the initial release, how soon can we expect to get upgraded to the PC version that has the UI scaling?

The planning for the cadence of future content releases will be laid out early next year I hope (we simply have to get through this hotfix and stability phase first before anyone can really spend a ton of time thinking ahead). That said, I can imagine that we may look into pulling some features ahead outside of the PC cadence to address issues - your example could be a great one for that consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom