Official Console 1.3 Update Feedback Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, played it for a bit and found a few.. things that are annyoing, for one the flashing text is not a good choice, feels like something is permenatly loading. also the crafting is just far too small and not very user friendly anymore, personally the old crafting on console was much easier to understand, quicker and way more organised, maybe this could be an option to toggle the crafting mode- simaler to minecraft console edition, overall the GUI is not laied out correctly for a console with flashing text making it hard to read some things, and a confuseing crafting that is buried at the bottem with no real organisation at all.

oh, i also had to reset my controls back to how they were pre-update, this is due to the weird control layout set up, with L2 being jump? seriously? that is really annoying for me, had to change it back to X. this update for the GUI does not suit a console, all platforms dont have to be the same.

That is somewhat present, but it's way way smaller than that screenshot. You see a small fraction of the items available (maybe half or a third of what's shown in the screenshot) and have to scroll through them (and it's a super buggy menu, constantly jittering around, things disappearing and reappearing or the menu closing and changing back to the inventory)
This is likely due to UI cramping. The original image has the UI displayed at 1080p, but console 1.3 has the UI locked to 720p, which results you in seeing less crafting options. When UI scaling is added, we can zoom out the UI to see more crafting options. Of course, the UI will become more difficult to see, but I think it's a good compromise.

This is likely due to UI cramping. The original image has the UI displayed at 1080p, but console 1.3 has the UI locked to 720p, which results you in seeing less crafting options. When UI scaling is added, we can zoom out the UI to see more crafting options. Of course, the UI will become more difficult to see, but I think it's a good compromise.
If I make the UI in splitscreen any smaller I'll need to use a microscope to play. That's not a fix it's just creating a different problem. Making a new, console friendly UI is the only solution.

If I make the UI in splitscreen any smaller I'll need to use a microscope to play. That's not a fix it's just creating a different problem. Making a new, console friendly UI is the only solution.

Maybe if we all buy PS VR headsets, and play Terraria through them, everything will look nice and big again! :)

The reason they changed the UI was mainly to create parity between the console and PC releases, but it would be cool if they reintroduced the old console UI, and made it an optional setting, so that console veterans can still play with the old UI (obviously with some tweaks and polish), and then have the new UI as another setting, for PC veterans, or for newer players who don't mind the new UI.
[doublepost=1513894642,1513894519][/doublepost]
Well, you're just making my point =) If you need to consult external help in order to maintain ordinary gameplay, then that's not good game design.
You can also use the guide man, getting used to the crafting recipes will eliminate all need for external sources, but I guess that's just how PC players such as myself think.
[doublepost=1513894894][/doublepost]
I was quoting him about using the wiki, not the Guide. But since so many people apparently like using the Guide and defend this gameplay element, then I have to ask you this; What's the problem with being able to see what you can craft more quickly?

And since you asked:
The problem with using the guide perhaps wouldn't be as big of a problem if they had this implemented from the start (which the apparently have in the PC version. As I've stated - I'm a beginner). But imagine you just started playing and you have this useful feature that let's you more quickly see what you can craft, so you can spend your time on actual exploring and building... and then get it yanked away from you, giving you a system which takes much longer to find what you want... Like with the example above, where I spent 10-15 minutes going through materials to try and find out how to craft glowsticks, instead of spending that time exploring, and just ending up getting frustrated and stop playing.

Also, from a "tutorial-point-of-perspective"... I'm no fan of tutorials and I like trying out things for myself (to a certain point... I'm no fan of scrolling through lists after lists), so I seldom use guides or tutorials of any kind in any game. And it wasn't until I read here on the forum that I could give the Guide materials that I knew the feature even existed. Like I said, it might've been said when I first started the game, but there were so much information and having to learn the controls that I really don't remember if the guide told me.

Oh, and the UI handling when you're trying out materials with the Guide... There are some small things that could make it better and I'm sure the developers just overlooked those things and it will be fixed later on.. For example, when I have something in my ordinary inventory and take one item, press "R2" (or perhaps "R1", don't remember right now) to switch to the Guide's "inventory" to see what I can craft... When I'm finished with one material and want to try another one, the cursor moves to the top left-most square in my inventory and not the square where the item originally was placed, meaning for every material I have to put it back in it's place manually. Like I said, a small thing, but when you have to try out 10 materials, it takes lots of unnecessary time.

It could be as simple as:
1. Talk to the Guide
2. Move the cursor over an item in your own inventory
3a. Instantly see what items you can craft from that and scroll through the list with either the right stick or the D-pad
or
3b. Press R2 to switch to the Guide's inventory and instantly see what you can craft and scroll with the left stick (in order to keep the experience more compliant with the PC version, I imagine)

All in all - I have to spend more time in menus and less time with exploring and building, which is what I really want to do. And also, like I've said, I didn't pay much for this and I'm not angry or anything. If this is how the developers want the game to function, then it isn't my type of game. I'll find another crafter, there are lots of other out there =)
Ah, so you are still new to the game. Terraria isn't exactly a beginner friendly game, and can be alienating to new players. You will definitely get used to the UI as time goes on, and eventually learn all the recipes by heart.

oh, i also had to reset my controls back to how they were pre-update, this is due to the weird control layout set up, with L2 being jump? seriously? that is really annoying for me, had to change it back to X. this update for the GUI does not suit a console, all platforms dont have to be the same.

At first I thought the controller layout after the update was bad, but I actually prefer jump on L2 now. It makes it much easier to fly and aim accurately. I know you could use L3 for the same thing but I always found that harder when making sharp dodges. Not harder as such, but less reliable.

Of course now I finally have a cosmic car key that's now moot lol

I just wish grapple wasn't on the same button as interact. Grappling instead of opening a chest because it's slightly too far away is annoying. Not being able to grapple in a fight because it's deciding to read a tomb stone instead can be deadly.

Looking at it through fresh eyes I am having a hard time fathoming the complaint about not knowing what to craft. Use the old console controls, go into your inventory, hit R1. Nearly everything you CAN craft is in the large block in the center of the screen. (Just like PC). Only changes would be to allow us to craft from there, and don't auto-select to a new item after you smelt/build ingots or walls (or whatever in bulk), all said before).

I'll be bug testing as I progress. No other issues found so far.

The crafting options mentioned above were not been using the guide, who I allowed to die as I explored. So it's built in to see everything you can craft with what you have in your inventory.

Ah, so you are still new to the game. Terraria isn't exactly a beginner friendly game, and can be alienating to new players. You will definitely get used to the UI as time goes on, and eventually learn all the recipes by heart.
1 huge plus the Playstation versions have always had that PC doesn't is a tutorial. I started on the PC & was so lost until I tried the PS3 version at a friend's house.

Wow...this just won't quote right...sorry about the reverse reply. :)

Last edited:
Looking at it through fresh eyes I am having a hard time fathoming the complaint about not knowing what to craft. Use the old console controls, go into your inventory, hit R1. Nearly everything you CAN craft is in the large block in the center of the screen. (Just like PC). Only changes would be to allow us to craft from there, and don't auto-select to a new item after you smelt/build ingots or walls (or whatever in bulk), all said before).

I'll be bug testing as I progress. No other issues found so far.

The crafting options mentioned above were not been using the guide, who I allowed to die as I explored. So it's built in to see everything you can craft with what you have in your inventory.
The problem a lot of us are having is trying to remember what goes into making something. For argument's sake, let's say I'm low on battle potion, but can't remember what it is I need to make more.

Before, we could just go to the potion screen, look it up, and go and get some. We could also toggle it to see what we could make with what we had in our inventory, or to see every recipe in the game.

The new layout is good on the whole, with many things being an improvement, but trying to get the item you can't remember so that you can see that you need it doesn't make sense.

Perhaps when in the crafting menu, we could click R3 to toggle between "available recipes" & "all recipes". And, thinking about it; we could use the right thumb stick to tap left/right to switch between the old tabs.

Lastly, I think that there is ample space below the chest inventory for a black rectangle with white text for the tool-tips etc. That way it would be easy to read the text AND see your whole inventory at the same time.

I just doenloaded the update and i have to say i really dont like it...the controls feel super wonky its harder to aim its harder to move around this is my biggest or 2nd biggest gripe.. The txts are way to small and so are the items van hardly see them on a 42" screen now..the txt for items are also all over the place...i didnt care much about the removal of exclusives as we got much more cool stuff back...the placing blocks and alike is also not as good as it was pre update i find it taking a long time to do basic things...i like all the bonus content ..the game does lag a fair amount when 1. There are large amounts of mobs and 2. The game autosaves wich we didnt have that issue before...the loading times just to get into a game or create one is wayyyy to long...also ive noticed graphics are not loading exactly as fast as they should e.g a quarter of a screen or a small area of ores or background will be like a kind of light black colour then render in after like 5-8 seconds not a huge problem as its not everywhere...
[doublepost=1513918562,1513918151][/doublepost]the crafting interface is nowhere near as good as it was now we cant tell what we need to craft with what etc without taking a certain material /item to a pc....also that circle reticule somehow feels way further than it should idk if thats cus its zoomed out or what...what id like is some of the basic things that were changed to possibly revert or improve to fit consoles..not everything just some..as is its kinda hard to play...even trying to hop off of a mount is a task or cancel a buff ..now for the good...i like the way some of the new monsters look..i like new events the new items weps etc i like that we get the moon lord cant wait to destroy him( or get destroyed lol) ocram removal was so so for me i am about to go against plantera so hadnt been there yet ..hope some of this helps i was as blunt and honest as i can be cheers :3

This is stuff that I think the developers should make a note of. What do you think @Loki ?

As I said, I've been writing down all complaints (and they coalesce around the same 5-10 things over all these pages) as well as any realistic ideas people have shared - because why not have those in the eventual brainstorming. :)

You equip the cart in the menu on the right hand side and then when your standing on the track hit circle.

Thx alot so it was just me being an idiot lol. I didnt even think to try press ing circle. Im so use to only using it to interactions with NPCs that ive forgotten its also used to activate everything like switches etc. Dont know why i thought it would be quick mount

I've just realised that crawltipedes are sticking on zero on the tally counter; I was wondering why I didn;t get a banner for it, I've probably killed near to 100 of them.

Also, world feeders & basilisks show up as "kill count unavailable". Not sure if this is a bug or not..?

I'm not really understanding the stance I read in a previous reply from pipeworks that the guide is for learning how to craft things and we weren't meant to be able to see everything craftable like the old console UI allowed us.

That seems like backward logic to me. Just because it was 'traditional' or the original intent, doesn't mean it's better, or that it shouldn't change. There's a myriad of things in this game that have changed for 'ease of use' and 'quality of life improvements.' why can't crafting remain one? Feels like we are taking a step back a few years.

I don't know if in just being dumb but I don't know how you are supposed to, for instance, find out how to make a target dummy. (It might not actually be in the 1.3 actually) if I know I want to make a target dummy but I can't remember how to....what do I do? The guide is of no use, because I'd have to go to the merchant, buy a sickle, go cut down grass, and take the hay to the guide and he will say 'you can make a target dummy!' and if I did that, then that's because I already knew how to craft one.

How that can be considered an acceptable gameplay path to just finding out how to craft an item just seems insane. Apply that principle to any item. It's all very good showing the guide what you DO have and asking what can I make with these, but that's backwards. What do I do if I want to make something and I don't have the mats?

If I want to make something and have forgot the materials, then there should be some way to find out in game. Saying 'go look up a wiki' is an absolutely attrocious way to fix fundimental inappropriate or bad game design. You used to have to do that on Minecraft on pc too, but when Minecraft came to consoles it had the exact same interface as terraria used to. Both games had custom interfaces build for consoles in mind.
In fact, having an in built wiki or crafting guide is something mojang have always said they were happy with on console. Minecraft is the most popular game in the world, and more people play on console than pc now. Even the win10 version of Minecraft for pc has the ability to use the pocket edition crafting for simplification on pc. After 8 years of looking up recipies on wikis, people understandably get bored of having to do that busy work just to progress gameplay. NEI is considered essential for a lot of people. It wouldn't be the most popular mod for Minecraft if people didn't want that kind of crafting assistance.

Looking at a wiki should NEVER be a core part of a gameplay loop. Pc players play Thier games differently than console players (for the most part) I do both and I play them differently. Hitting alt tab bringing up your browser and looking at a wiki on pc is a couple of seconds. On console....what do you do? If you need to have your phone next to you to be able to look up recipes then your game design has gone wrong somewhere. Miamoto would be rolling in his grave at this kind of backwards game design.

Games are meant to be fun first and foremost right? So why aren't we looking at what does and doesn't STREAMLINE the experience to make it LESS clunky and cumbersome, to aid in accessing the fun Parts of gameplay, (exploring, mining, fighting, building etc.) That should surely be the core focus of any game updates. Not bringing it into line with another platform which has entirely different control methods and easily able to access wikis and other forms of help.

8 years? try 30 lol. anyways, if you really want to get immersed write recipes down. looking it up is basically the same as in-game used to be.

aside from anything else..showing wood to the guide would have accomplished the same thing..he can show you EVERYTHING all in one screen that can be made from wood. the tabs on the console menu were split for no real reason. there isnt THAT much to craft. it just requires a rethinking of how you'd look it up in the past. if i cant remember a specific potion, i show him the base ingredient, water in a bottle. then he shows me all the possible potions I can make with water in a bottle.

Has anybody managed to get a "Mythical" prefix on the Last Prism? I've gone through (no joke) around 650 platinum trying to reforge it and nothing. Has it been left out of the game? Or am I just REALLY unlucky?

Has anybody managed to get a "Mythical" prefix on the Last Prism? I've gone through (no joke) around 650 platinum trying to reforge it and nothing. Has it been left out of the game? Or am I just REALLY unlucky?
The Last Prism does not have any base knockback value, and can't have modifiers that affect knockback like Mythical. Your best option is Mystic or Demonic.

https://terraria.wiki.gg/Modifier#Magic

HA!! I have 3 of each of those. OK, thanks for clearing that up.
[doublepost=1513951472,1513951425][/doublepost]Should mobs still be able to show up on the map (mini and proper) as pink flashing blobs?
No, enemies will not show up as pink flashes anymore.

Hi Pipeworks, This has probably been answered, but can you give an idea for when Xbox One will be finished with the Submition and review process?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom