Official Console 1.3 Update Feedback Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the PS4 version was cross-play/save with the PC, then I could understand some changes. We didn't have to pause the game in order to zoom (which having to do so causes interruptions & problems for fast controls) and crafting was insanely easier & faster. That would give us a big advantage, which wouldn't be fair to PC users. But since the only cross-play/save was only with 2 other Playstations (PS3 & Vita) using the same design, which are not upgrading to the new forced PS4 "standard", it takes away how countless people are able to play the game.

Please don't say "just buy another controller & play split-screen on the PS4", because those are expensive, and split-screen is now cumbersome. Please don't say "use the Wiki" (not everyone has immediate access to it, if at all, and it's also very cumbersome to do with a console), or "just give the base item to the guide". Not everyone can remember the base items for the exact item they need, and if you don't have it, how do you even know what to look for??? Also, the "you'll get used to it" isn't plausable for many, since the game's interface was made for a PC, which is MUCH more complex than a console, and the complexity of it is more difficult to use.

Please excuse my new (and repeated rant), but everything I've said here is true, and really should have been thought about while coding this, instead of just slapping the PC onto the PS4. Yes, it's a huge update that many people put a lot of time into. I know that, and do appreciate that this game is still being supported.

Last edited:
No, enemies will not show up as pink flashes anymore.

I may be remembering wrong but don't they show up on pc like that? With the pink dots representing the enemies? Isn't that why they show up on the old console build like that? What was the reasoning for deciding to not show enemies as pink dots?

Also, just in terms of more feedback for UI changes to put on a list of things to look at - target lock on should be in there surely, shouldn't it?

There seems to be this determination from pipeworks that 'we're matching the pc version come hell or high water', (and therefore insisting on pressing ahead with these clearly sub optimal crafting interfaces and UI elements when using a controller) - in a pretty hit and miss effort it must be said - to bring it into line with pc, yet very basic USEFUL things like UI scaling, zoom, full control rebinding and simple things like target lock on have been left out. I mean why was target lock added on pc? To assist with controller support on pc. Yet....on the PS4 where the ONLY option is to use a controller, we don't have basic support like the stick sensitivity or enemy lock on. It seems so entirely backwards I cant get my head round it.

I mean Has anyone here tried using a yo-yo with a controller?

That's not fun game design.

That's a chore.

Yoyos are great on pc with mouse and keyboard. Not so much with controller. But At least with enemy lock on available when playing on pc with a Controller yo-yos were a viable alternative. Right now they are very much sub optimal. Surely play testing revealed this?

I may be remembering wrong but don't they show up on pc like that? With the pink dots representing the enemies? Isn't that why they show up on the old console build like that? What was the reasoning for deciding to not show enemies as pink dots?
I don't recall the pink flashing dots on pc ever. They've only been on console I believe.

I tried playing some more before giving up because of bugs with splitscreen making it unplayable. (The second player's controller seems to affect the first player, so if P2 is digging P1's menus keep switching, which makes any attempt at crafting pretty much impossible. Which I reported with the bug form)

But I also feel like there's a bunch of things that were undocumented in the patch notes, but I don't know if they're bugs or design choices.

So here we go: BUG OR INTENDED DESIGN?

-The aiming cursor seems to extend out further if you have a ranged item equipped, which makes aiming really sensitive and difficult.
-The way light works has changed, the player no longer emits any light and darkness is generally darker.
-When you close a menu (inventory, crafting, the pause menu etc) with the [O ]button (the default close menu button, but also the interact button) it will interact with any nearby objects, opening other chests when you try to close them, opening doors with zombies behind them and unsetting and resetting your spawn point to where I had to build a bedroom far far away from any other objects.
-The fine control placement cursor doesn't have a highlighted square to show where a block will be placed
-Block placement seems way slower than before
- Even on normal it feels like enemies do far more damage and get knocked back far less than before, I'm not on expert but zombies feel way more dangerous, and a blood moon became a bloodbath
-The map doesn't show anything beyond visible areas, wheras before you could use it to search for ores and plan your mining
-The map moves in a really awkward and un-smooth way. It feels like the cursor gets hung up on rocks and tunnels almost
-The map no longer shows enemies (addressed above, but is that a bug or intentionally removed?)
-NPCs constantly opening doors and letting in zombies during the night

If I kept playing I'd probably end up with a much longer list, there's all these little things with the game and I honestly can't tell if it's something that was changed from how it used to be or it's a bug or something wrong with the game. So much has been changed, and it has so many bugs that sorting through one or the other is really difficult.

As promised, playtested. Set up new characters and a new map.

Have thick skin, or don't read it. Yep, blunt man is back.

Just to join together split screen we had to party up and start a game outside of the actual game. Before it would all be in game for the most part. That headache over we played.

Got to the Eye, and beat it. Now that's not a chore or even difficult. Why I'm mentioning it is how SLOW it moved. Our characters stayed the same speed, but even while in its second phase it was glitching and moving incredibly slow. Snail like. The exterior edges of the boss seemed to be flickering.

Have not experienced the cursor issues. However on split screen it kept switching menus and opening doors/chests when trying to cancel.

I do like the L1/R1 forward and backward switching of the menu.

We were 5 feet from the TV. Any further would have been impossible, and just with 2 players it was a strain to play.

I agree with Slime BC (above). You cannot, under any logical train of thought, port a PC game UI to a console. It will fail, and PW will in a single stroke kill this game on the PS4, especially if they refuse to listen to the experiences and history of the player base. And making the updating "easier" to perform is not a customer based objective, but an company's internal struggle. Customers should not be affected by that, because Fan base is everything. If it was a mutual merger, good luck convincing them. If not, and they are just helping, wow. Hopefully control and/or stock ownership is not in their control.

PS4/Vita cross functionality is already gone. There has been no response to PC cross play questions.

And yes the game throughout seems to play more like the PC version, and the glitches and pauses killed my character when happening during a timed jump, or when carefully mining by lava. Seeing the game "catch up" and then character death is just my level of walking on glass fun. Yes the monsters seem harder too, but I enjoyed that.

Time to wrap more presents. Maybe I'll finish my family Minecraft map...my wife's house is not complete yet anyway. Maybe I'll post photos lol.

I'll keep the forum as a favorite.

I got the error code CE-34878-0 about 4 times in a row; I was testing out the best loadouts on the Golem and it seemed to happen whenever I reached ~15,000 DPS.

-The way light works has changed, the player no longer emits any light and darkness is generally darker.
-The map doesn't show anything beyond visible areas, wheras before you could use it to search for ores and plan your mining
-The map no longer shows enemies (addressed above, but is that a bug or intentionally removed?)
Very likely intended.

-When you close a menu (inventory, crafting, the pause menu etc) with the [O ]button (the default close menu button, but also the interact button) it will interact with any nearby objects, opening other chests when you try to close them, opening doors with zombies behind them and unsetting and resetting your spawn point to where I had to build a bedroom far far away from any other objects.
I’d recommended sending that in as a bug. Are you on smart cursor mode when it does this double input?https://fs30.formsite.com/505games/form15/index.html

I got the error code CE-34878-0 about 4 times in a row; I was testing out the best loadouts on the Golem and it seemed to happen whenever I reached ~15,000 DPS.
Did you get the error in the middle of the game? I’d recommend sending that in as a bug as well. Include as much detail as possible. https://fs30.formsite.com/505games/form15/index.html

Haven't posted this bug yet cause i'm not exactly sure what caused it, so i'm posting it here to get more info 1st from others if they've seen it.

Had the pumpkin twig thingy pet equipped and that light pet that gives off decent light and jumps towards your cursor, forgive the non-name recalls i'm in the middle of moving and i'm exhausted. A dinosaur pet dropped while on a fossil excursion and when i used it in my hotbar, the current pet/light pet, both froze in position. Walked a few steps and the game went haywire. Moving very very slowly but screen not showing it, but map did. Npc names moved onto my screen from the right and froze in the middle. Then blocks started losing textures or dissappearing completely, some edges flashed like the annoying ui flashing. All this is going on while my screen shows me in 1 spot frozen in midair tho i could hear a door open n close occasionally or my character grunt. Was during the night and npcs at base just to my right were moving, their names at least till they froze. The were stationary on map but i wasnt so the door sound was from me im guessing. The grunt was from repeatedly jumping?

Either right before or during same instance of having menu opened i put the fossil armor set in vanity, changed dyes, removed it n put previous vanity back, changed dyes again, not the original dyes. Put dyes up in chest, closed the menu, then did the above dino thing.

1.3 char + world. Reloading world didnt fix it, even after unequipping all pets and removing all buffs and reloading again. Restarting the app fixed it.

Any1 else seen this?

1. I summoned the Martian Maddness event and I see the ufos in the background I am at spawn in my base and they are not coming what should I do please help!

I am experiencing this same issue. I did a search and it seems to also be a bug on the PC. However, the PC workarounds don't help. They say to summon another invasion and it will cancel the martian invasion, but using a goblin banner on PS4 does nothing.

So my world seems to be permanently stuck in martian invasion. Closing the game and restarting it does nothing. Starting another even doesn't work. Dying, teleporting does nothing.

How long does it take to spawn the martian madness? I've been sitting there waiting for three ingame days for the enemies, and all I see is the martians speeding back and forth in the background.

Haven't posted this bug yet cause i'm not exactly sure what caused it, so i'm posting it here to get more info 1st from others if they've seen it.

Had the pumpkin twig thingy pet equipped and that light pet that gives off decent light and jumps towards your cursor, forgive the non-name recalls i'm in the middle of moving and i'm exhausted. A dinosaur pet dropped while on a fossil excursion and when i used it in my hotbar, the current pet/light pet, both froze in position. Walked a few steps and the game went haywire. Moving very very slowly but screen not showing it, but map did. Npc names moved onto my screen from the right and froze in the middle. Then blocks started losing textures or dissappearing completely, some edges flashed like the annoying ui flashing. All this is going on while my screen shows me in 1 spot frozen in midair tho i could hear a door open n close occasionally or my character grunt. Was during the night and npcs at base just to my right were moving, their names at least till they froze. The were stationary on map but i wasnt so the door sound was from me im guessing. The grunt was from repeatedly jumping?

Either right before or during same instance of having menu opened i put the fossil armor set in vanity, changed dyes, removed it n put previous vanity back, changed dyes again, not the original dyes. Put dyes up in chest, closed the menu, then did the above dino thing.

1.3 char + world. Reloading world didnt fix it, even after unequipping all pets and removing all buffs and reloading again. Restarting the app fixed it.

Any1 else seen this?

Yep, seen that during the Martian Invasion and twice when spawning the Hallowed Moon Event. ("All Hail the Pumpkin-King, may he live forever in our nightmares")

It looked for me like the game textures froze, but the works continued to function. Same bug, reloading the world did nothing and the textures remained. Had to restart Terraria.
[doublepost=1514129816,1514129497][/doublepost]
You need to be near the default spawn point or an NPC with valid housing for the mobs to start spawning.

https://terraria.wiki.gg/Martian_Madness

That works but only intermittently. Reloaded 8-10 times and it did not work.

The next day, still nothing. Then when teleporting home I got mobs everywhere and the UFO right on top of my character. Then the above glitch happened and it froze the game.

Is that the same for probes? I read that they spawn most in space, at the edge of the map, but so far not one has shown up (in space).
The probes aren't part of the invasion - just the trigger for them. They do appear most frequently in space, but I've seen them on the surface and even a bit below (but always above level elevation).

If the Martian mobs aren't spawning pretty quickly after the probe escapes, and you're near your housed NPCs (just one should be enough), then that sounds like a bug to me. I don't have a console to check it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom