Official Console 1.3 Update Feedback Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either provide constructive, useful feedback, or don't post.
That is constructive and useful feedback. He's one of the many people letting you know how terrible these new menus look. It's literally unplayable it's so clear and small. And I'm sick of people saying zoom in. It doesn't matter how much you zoom in. Menu size stays exactly the same. This isn't pc. It's CONSOLE. A controller and keyboard are two completely different things. So are a monitor and TV. These menus just don't work bro.

That is constructive and useful feedback. He's one of the many people letting you know how terrible these new menus look. It's literally unplayable it's so clear and small. And I'm sick of people saying zoom in. It doesn't matter how much you zoom in. Menu size stays exactly the same. This isn't pc. It's CONSOLE. A controller and keyboard are two completely different things. So are a monitor and TV. These menus just don't work bro.
Exactly!

Monitor = 2-3 feet away from the player, which makes the picture larger.

TV = 8-10 (or more) feet away, which makes the picture MUCH smaller.

It's not rocket science.

So, at the risk of being unpopular, on the whole I like the new UI; crafting from chests is great, transferring between inventory & chests etc. is much easier too. I don't like the switch between storage & equipment slots when tapping "L2", as equipping more than one item from storage is kind of a juggling act.

There are some features which just don't work, such as the invisible buffs and the clear inventory, and I think a big reason for this (and this is just a guess) is that the testers might have been told to focus on how the update compares to the PC version, as opposed to how console players can adapt. If - IF - that is the case, I can see why, as for the past two years all they've heard from us is:

"When are we getting the PC version?
When are we getting the PC version?
When are we getting the PC version?
When are we getting the PC version?" (of which I am guilty myself).

It's also worth bearing in mind that the closer we are to the PC, the sooner we'll get future updates, which was (I think) a major reason for the console version overhaul.

So, I've come up with a few suggestions that I'm hoping @Loki & @ClearConscious could look at if/when they have a spare moment, and tell me/us how feasable they are. I'd also like to point out now that I have ZERO experience in programming, so I understand that while these tweaks may appear easy from the user's perspective, they might not work from the back end.

Here we go:

1. While the clear inventory has caused an uproar, am I right in assuming that it was to make build mode easier to use? Given that build mode hasn't been used by many players due to items vanishing, it would have been easier to overlook the benefits of a clear inventory, such as actually being able to see what you're building. So, my suggestions are:

a) Lose the transparency of the inventory UNLESS someone clicks "R3" on an item, which will indicate to the game that they want a clear inventory until they've finished with the item, at which point the inventory turns solid again, or:
    b) If that's too tricky, then maybe just change the visibility based on whether autopause is on or off.

2. The tool-tip text is hiding the items in the inventory, could it be moved elsewhere, like this?:
    Tooltip text.png
  3. The crafting menu is hard to navigate as the items are always changing places due to which ingredients are available. As you know, in the previous version, we could tab through the various categories of items (such as armour¦weapons¦potions¦items), THEN scroll through the items and see each recipe and which crafting station we needed. I understand why what we have now works on the PC version, as they are playing on a machine with an open web browser, which they can operate using the same hardware as what they're playing with (KB + M), but for us I think it spoils the immersion, as we have to use another device to Google the recipe. My suggestion for this has a couple of features:
    a) Bring back the categories, and hit left/right on the "R3" stick to scroll through them (they wouldn't even need visible tabs; the items below would be enough of a clue)
    b) Clicking "R3" would toggle the menu between all recipes in the game, complete with crafting station, and just what is available to the player there and then

Below is an image of what I mean; obviously gold coins aren't crafted at an anvil, but it shows you what goes where:
    Crafting availability.png
  4. The guide's crafting section has two layers of text that are overlapping, making it hard to see which crafting station is needed:
    Recipe problem.png

Could this be rectified by doing something similar to this (again, torches don't need an anvil, it's for layout demonstration only)?:
    Crafting station solution.png
Again, I have no experience or knowledge of coding etc. so this isn't a "why don't you just?" and more of an "is it possible?". I know that you want to make the game as close to identical as you can on all platforms, but I don't think that these suggestions are a huge step away from the parity you want, especially when you consider things like legacy world sizes and console only items (like Ocram's old drops) seem much bigger differences.

Anyway, that's enough for now; while I've tagged Loki & ClearConsious, if anyone else wants to add feedback/suggestions to these ideas, they're more than welcome.

Thanks

Last edited:
As before, appreciate the thoroughness of the info.
As predicted, I forgot a few:
  • Planted acorns don't grow
  • Forged prefixes are showing before the word "the", for example: "Legendary the Horseman's Blade"
  • Tall gates are flickering manically when stood near them
  • According to the wiki page on platforms, we should be able to hang chandeliers, lanterns & banner from thrice-hammered platforms, but only banners can be hung.
Thanks.

Last edited:
That is called "The Horseman's Blade' and it only adds the modifier before the name!
But it's not meant to; before it was the "the legendary Horseman's Blade". It's a bug that happened once before when we first got the Travelling Merchant update a few years ago, and they fixed it then.

Planted acorns don't grow

Can you show me where you planted them? Are they planted correctly to meet the standards to become Trees? Are you off-screen from them when they should grow (on-screen growth was a 1.3.2 thing)

https://terraria.wiki.gg/Tree#Growing_conditions

Just want to check the more obvious things before calling it a bug - because that would be a major one indeed!

According to the wiki page on platforms, we should be able to hang chandeliers, lanterns & banner from thrice-hammered platforms, but only banners can be hung.

Remember that the wiki is player-edited and is not always 100% accurate as a result. This is one of those cases. You cannot hang anything from platforms except banners. The confusion that made whomever edited this in is likely driven from the lack of a red "you cannot do this" mark on 3-hammered/dropped platforms.

To reiterate, the wiki is incorrect here.

Forged prefixes are showing before the word "the", for example: "Legendary the Horseman's Blade"

This is as intended and matches PC. The old console version changed it, but it was not accurate to the game (though it is admittedly grammatically correct :p )

Same as all other weapons that begin with "The" (The Meatball, The Bees' Knees, etc)

Tall gates are flickering manically when stood near them

Can I get a video of this?

If you use the Classic Controls all you need to change is □ to buff and obviously all control settings lost the minimap on the touchpad. I fail to see the problem?
Used to you could bind 2 different buttons for the same action. Like jump for example. I use the x button to jump when I'm fighting events and normal gameplay. It's more comfortable to me overall but it makes it harder for boss fights. I would use the left trigger to jump for boss fights because its easier to jump aim and shoot with the left trigger. That's why these new controls are :red:ed. There's not good customization anymore.

Used to you could bind 2 different buttons for the same action. Like jump for example. I use the x button to jump when I'm fighting events and normal gameplay. It's more comfortable to me overall but it makes it harder for boss fights. I would use the left trigger to jump for boss fights because its easier to jump aim and shoot with the left trigger. That's why these new controls are :red:ed. There's not good customization anymore.
I use L3 as a quick mount button, if you have a flying mount it should be a good plan B.

Are they planted correctly to meet the standards to become Trees?
They weren't but they are now. I tried replicating what I did a while back, but I must have hacked away at the dirt afterwards and not remembered.
To reiterate, the wiki is incorrect here.
Good to know, thanks.
This is as intended and matches PC. The old console version changed it, but it was not accurate to the game (though it is admittedly grammatically correct :p )

Same as all other weapons that begin with "The" (The Meatball, The Bees' Knees, etc)
That's going to drive me mental. Please tell me it's going to be fixed one day.

Can I get a video of this?
Here you go, it's a bit blurry (as are all my videos, any ideas on how to fix that?) watch the doors and the tall gate:

That really sums up the whole update really. A pointless change with "matching the pc" as the justification regardless of whether it actually improves the game or not.

That's going to drive me mental. Please tell me it's going to be fixed one day.

Doubtful. I mean anything could happen, but its been there for quite some time.

Here you go, it's a bit blurry (as are all my videos, any ideas on how to fix that?) watch the doors and the tall gate:

So it is happening on doors and tall gates? Is it all types of doors? Just living wood doors? Does it only happen in that tree or does it happen elsewhere as well?

I can see it just fine, so blurry or not, it gets the point across.

So it is happening on doors and tall gates? Is it all types of doors? Just living wood doors? Does it only happen in that tree or does it happen elsewhere as well?

This happens to me as well with a small variety of other types of doors including: the wooden door, obsidian door, and golden door. Also, it seems to only happen when the door is closed, and not when it is opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom