Official Console 1.3 Update Feedback Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a way to convert back to the old set up. I like the menu much better before the update. If there isn’t there should be... I really don’t like the new set up, I don’t even want to play the game anymore.
[doublepost=1517948617,1517948403][/doublepost]
I think we should definitely have the option to switch back to the classic console UI.
We Definitely should, I don’t even want to play anymore since the update

I played for 4 hours last night.
  1. Love the new UI. Please keep it.
  2. Please stop the blinking words
  3. Please make the inventory a bit less transparent
  4. Coins do not auto stack if there are coins in a chest or piggy bank and you are trying to empty your inventory. I don't like keeping money on me in case i die, especially when playing on expert mode.
  5. I have also encountered coins not converting. for example if i have 55 copper coins in a chest, and i place 45 copper coins on the stack, it becomes 100 copper coins, it does not turn into 1 silver coin.

I just got the Xbox update last night, played for 4 hours or so and wanted to share my initial impressions:

Positives
  • I did not have any world conversion issues. I was concerned about this because I had several hundred hours of building and collected loot into one of my worlds.
  • The game looks much nicer than the previous version. The colors seem more vibrant, and there are lots of cool little animations that were added with enemies, NPCs, picking up items, etc. It just seems more fun overall.
  • The sound effects are better.
  • I'm very happy about all the new content - I was 1500 hours in on 1.2.4 and pretty bored.

Negatives
  • As many other people have said, the UI needs work visually. I play on a pretty new 54" LG (calibrated, all HDMI connections, etc.) and while most of the text is fairly readable 2-5 feet away, it completely falls off past that (I play 7 feet away or so). I feel like everything could be mostly solved by:
    1. Making the inventory/chest/crafting boxes at least as opaque as they are in the PC version. With the goal being to make the two versions the same how did this difference go through unnoticed? Even completely opaque would be preferable to the current state.
    2. Using a slightly bolder version of the typeface (Andy Bold I think?) - the current font weight just falls apart into indecipherable text past a certain viewing distance. Item descriptions are particularly a problem, and even more so are item names that are colored based on their rarity.
    3. Something else may need to be done with the # of items text. Perhaps the bolder font idea would help, but no matter how much I strain I cannot see how many coins/arrows/etc I have without getting physically closer to the TV.
    4. Buffs/debuffs - make them somewhat visible.
    5. An option to scale the inventory/chest/crafting UI would be amazing.
  • I feel like the UI also needs a bit of usability work. For example, when you are trying to quick stack your items into several chests the process of opening a chest and thumbsticking the cursor several boxes down and several boxes right, while avoiding cursoring into the coins/ammo boxes, then trying to find the appropriate 'chest menu' text (which again is fairly unreadable) requires way too much precision and thought. It is a very mundane task that is used often, so I feel it should be a quick, easy and brainless process. In the previous version you could open a chest, press D-pad down twice and hit A which took less than half a second. I'm sure I'll become a little faster at using the current method but it just seems to take forever for something with the word "quick" in it. Maybe a shortcut button to jump over to those chest options once the inventory has been opened? Anything to keep players from dreading having to "quick stack" their items.
  • The frame rate doesn't seem as high as it was in the previous version (it "feels" closer to 20-25 fps), and I see continuous intermittent 2-4 frame lags every 1-3 seconds in single player mode. Walking/running up or down a slope now seems "jerkier" or more jarring camera motion-wise as well. Lastly, R-trigger to use a weapon sometimes doesn't work on the first press. I'm experiencing a few other minor bugs/glitches, but have put in bug reports.

Overall impression: I was very excited for this update and a lot of it is great, but I've lost some interest due to the eyeball/finger straining UI. Trying to look at all of the positives.

Last edited:
So I was thinking that the 1.3 update is lacking a few basic functions for console that I feel could be added rather easily, I knokw that it operates differently than PC, but I was really excited to see the ripple effect in water, full customization like seen on PC, and considering that the console exclusive content was taken I feel that the versions should be as identical as possible, not angry but I am hoping that these get worked in, original Terraria may be comikng to it's final stretch but there are so many things that could be added to keep the player base for the game very strong

Is it possible to change how your screen fits in your TV? The top and bottom of the screen is cut off and I don’t like it. (XB1)

Thank you for updating the console version. I don't have time to read all the past posts in this thread but I'll post my feedback.

Positive:
  • The new content is great to have
  • Being able to toggle visibility on accessories is nice although I'd like to be able to hide visibility of the vanity accessories too. I keep the item that lets me transform into a werewolf if the vanity slot so I can change to it quickly - but I don't want to look like a werewolf.
  • The graphics seem a bit nicer and more vibrant
Negative:
  • I think the new UI isn't as good as the old one. Everything feels smaller and more cluttered at the same time. It's hard to tell where to focus your eyes. Here are some specifics with suggested solutions. I will say that I play mostly splitscreen with my son so we're dealing with half as screen each.
    • When in your inventory, the text describing the selected item is hard to read. It feels weird having it written all over the other items and makes it difficult for me to focus on which item I have selected. Instead of having a completely transparent background, the text should be written on a colored background similar to how the options screen comes up with you press start. This would go a long way to calming down my eyes and cutting down on clutter.
    • The inventory and crafting UIs seem so small now that we have to sit way closer to the TV while playing. In the old version everything was sized very nicely and we had no problem seeing from a normal couch position. The crafting portion in particular is really hard to see. It's clear that the interface would be nice if you're right in front of your PC, but leaves a lot to be desired in a living room environment.
    • NPC text is really small and looks blurry compared to other text in the game. The size and crispness should be increased.
    • Some pretty bad framerate issues. Playing through the Martian invasion splitscreen was difficult because the game got so choppy even on the Xbox One X. I never had any framerate issues with the past version of the game.
Overall I think with a few changes, this version will be great! Thanks again for your work on this -- my son and I have had countless hours of fun and besides a few bumps in the road on this new version, I think we'll enjoy it for a long time to come. Hopefully Starbound will make it's way to consoles as well.

New crafting system is complete garbage and that ruined it for me. uninstalled after that. bring back the old crafting system. thats all i gotta say.

RIP Terrarria

I would like to add my voice to the request to make the crafting text larger and the UI much less transparent. If you're anywhere with a busy background (such as the average player's storage area), then it is damn near IMPOSSIBLE to see anything. Also, things in the far right column of any chest have their text mixing with the chest options and the whole thing becomes an unreadable mess.

I have noticed that my spawn point does not seem to save, either. I had to reset my spawn in my main world, played for a while, then saved and exited, remembered there was something I wanted to check and went back in... and appeared right back at world spawn, not at the bed where I set my spawn before. That's more than a little frustrating considering that there might have been enemies waiting for me there.

Also, can we get the sprites for the NPCs on the main map to be larger, please? They're hard to see and it's difficult to make out which is which. My traveling merchant spawned and I could not find him on the map. Then he managed to get killed and I still have no idea where the flip he even was. Even zoomed in as close as I could get the NPC icons are really hard to make out, and they're too damn tiny to be very useful.

This x1000.

I think we should definitely have the option to switch back to the classic console UI.
That would take a TON of programming
it darts 1 block to the right
It doesn't; the chest grid is smaller than the inventory grid, and it's offset to the right, so it looks like they're going to the right by one column, but they're not. It confused me at first, but then the confusion went and was replaced by annoyance. It is very annoying.

Had a silver axe vanish from my inventory.

Also I noticed that after a while you cannot see how many of an item I have in a stack. For example: Health potions. I can see the health potion in my inventory but it doesn't show 30 until I select it and drop it back into my inventory. Really scary when I had 93 gold coins but it only showed I had one. Again selecting the items and putting them right back in the same slot seems to fix it but it is a tad annoying.

Other than those things and a few minor frame rate drops for no reason and one crash on a legacy world for no reason the game seems to be running great.

I have started over because I wanted to with the new content and haven't had any complaints. But I did load up an old world to grab a few items and my game froze for no reason. Not sure what caused it.
[doublepost=1517971744,1517971612][/doublepost]Just a little hint for people having trouble with seeing the crafting interface if you hit rb twice while in the crafting screen it will show a bigger screen of all available items to craft. Then you can select the item you want. I have been doing this to avoid the harder to read crafting ui

Only played the new update for a few hours (xbone) but I jumped right into a new Expert world to see the wonders of TANKY slimes!!!

Anyway, the new UI is way too much for me to dig into and have any detailed opinion on this soon - and I kinda like figuring out how everything works -
HOWEVER, there are a couple or three things I'm worried about -

1. The outer edges of the screen getting cut off. As someone else said, it doesn't make the game unplayable but I'd feel a lot better knowing there was a
definite fix on the horizon instead of the hope that tweaking my tv settings will fix it. No other game I own needs this so...

2. The settings menu doesn't really tell me what each thing does and for the d-pad hotbar settings I'm not sure which is which

3. A way to turn off transparency/set opacity in the crafting menus would be helpful i think

Thanks for reading this.

Only played the new update for a few hours (xbone) but I jumped right into a new Expert world to see the wonders of TANKY slimes!!!

Anyway, the new UI is way too much for me to dig into and have any detailed opinion on this soon - and I kinda like figuring out how everything works -
HOWEVER, there are a couple or three things I'm worried about -

1. The outer edges of the screen getting cut off. As someone else said, it doesn't make the game unplayable but I'd feel a lot better knowing there was a
definite fix on the horizon instead of the hope that tweaking my tv settings will fix it. No other game I own needs this so...

2. The settings menu doesn't really tell me what each thing does and for the d-pad hotbar settings I'm not sure which is which

3. A way to turn off transparency/set opacity in the crafting menus would be helpful i think

Thanks for reading this.
I’ve seen a few moderators talking about PW looking into the screen glitchings and such, so you can rest easy that it’ll be fixed soon. As for the transparency, I would imagine they’d work in a setting for it soon enough.

I wonder if it would be easier for us to have a option to change the font color to whatever we want. I'm curious if sitting font color to Black or a Red would be easier for some people to see.

I honestly believe the UI was created with the thought of people playing on a monitor or laptop and being up close to the screen and most console players are "couch" players using a TV that's further away. I play my Xbox on a 32 in monitor and sit only a few feet away so it doesn't bother me at all.

I wonder if it would be easier for us to have a option to change the font color to whatever we want. I'm curious if sitting font color to Black or a Red would be easier for some people to see.

I honestly believe the UI was created with the thought of people playing on a monitor or laptop and being up close to the screen and most console players are "couch" players using a TV that's further away. I play my Xbox on a 32 in monitor and sit only a few feet away so it doesn't bother me at all.

Not sure just changing the font color would work. Changing the font size would be a start, though.

My xbox and tv are in my room. I'm sitting on the bed on the other side of the room from the tv. The only way I can actually read the text is to get up and stand almost nose-to-screen. It's especially a pain when I'm trying to reforge something and the name/modifier turn into a tiny blurry mess.

I just got the Xbox update last night, played for 4 hours or so and wanted to share my initial impressions:

Positives
  • I did not have any world conversion issues. I was concerned about this because I had several hundred hours of building and collected loot into one of my worlds.
  • The game looks much nicer than the previous version. The colors seem more vibrant, and there are lots of cool little animations that were added with enemies, NPCs, picking up items, etc. It just seems more fun overall.
  • The sound effects are better.
  • I'm very happy about all the new content - I was 1500 hours in on 1.2.4 and pretty bored.

Negatives
  • As many other people have said, the UI needs work visually. I play on a pretty new 54" LG (calibrated, all HDMI connections, etc.) and while most of the text is fairly readable 2-5 feet away, it completely falls off past that (I play 7 feet away or so). I feel like everything could be mostly solved by:
    1. Making the inventory/chest/crafting boxes at least as opaque as they are in the PC version. With the goal being to make the two versions the same how did this difference go through unnoticed? Even completely opaque would be preferable to the current state.
    2. Using a slightly bolder version of the typeface (Andy Bold I think?) - the current font weight just falls apart into indecipherable text past a certain viewing distance. Item descriptions are particularly a problem, and even more so are item names that are colored based on their rarity.
    3. Something else may need to be done with the # of items text. Perhaps the bolder font idea would help, but no matter how much I strain I cannot see how many coins/arrows/etc I have without getting physically closer to the TV.
    4. Buffs/debuffs - make them somewhat visible.
    5. An option to scale the inventory/chest/crafting UI would be amazing.
  • I feel like the UI also needs a bit of usability work. For example, when you are trying to quick stack your items into several chests the process of opening a chest and thumbsticking the cursor several boxes down and several boxes right, while avoiding cursoring into the coins/ammo boxes, then trying to find the appropriate 'chest menu' text (which again is fairly unreadable) requires way too much precision and thought. It is a very mundane task that is used often, so I feel it should be a quick, easy and brainless process. In the previous version you could open a chest, press D-pad down twice and hit A which took less than half a second. I'm sure I'll become a little faster at using the current method but it just seems to take forever for something with the word "quick" in it. Maybe a shortcut button to jump over to those chest options once the inventory has been opened? Anything to keep players from dreading having to "quick stack" their items.
  • The frame rate doesn't seem as high as it was in the previous version (it "feels" closer to 20-25 fps), and I see continuous intermittent 2-4 frame lags every 1-3 seconds in single player mode. Walking/running up or down a slope now seems "jerkier" or more jarring camera motion-wise as well. Lastly, R-trigger to use a weapon sometimes doesn't work on the first press. I'm experiencing a few other minor bugs/glitches, but have put in bug reports.

Overall impression: I was very excited for this update and a lot of it is great, but I've lost some interest due to the eyeball/finger straining UI. Trying to look at all of the positives.
You perfectly described my problems with visibility in the inventory/chest/crafting UI. It is too transparent to see. Nicely done!

i dont know why but its fun reading the bugs that people have but i have some too
one of them is split screen the bottom screen just freezes and cant move
this happens too in multiplayer just with one person some times
and my dungeon does not spawn the old man with the curse and i think because i forgot to fight skeletron and i already killed everything to get to the lunatic cultist so wof all mechanical bosses plantera and golem
and now i cant kill him/it because both wont spawn

and my dungeon does not spawn the old man with the curse and i think because i forgot to fight skeletron and i already killed everything to get to the lunatic cultist so wof all mechanical bosses plantera and golem
and now i cant kill him/it because both wont spawn
The Old Man won't spawn again after you defeat Skeletron once in a world.

If you want to fight Skeletron again, there is a Clothier Voodoo Doll that randomly drops from common Dungeon mobs. When you equip that, you can kill the Clothier at night anywhere in the world (doesn't have to be at the dungeon) and summon Skeletron again.

https://terraria.wiki.gg/Clothier_Voodoo_Doll (this was in the Console version before 1.3)

Not sure just changing the font color would work. Changing the font size would be a start, though.

My xbox and tv are in my room. I'm sitting on the bed on the other side of the room from the tv. The only way I can actually read the text is to get up and stand almost nose-to-screen. It's especially a pain when I'm trying to reforge something and the name/modifier turn into a tiny blurry mess.

Yea from what I have seen most people including myself think the UI is just to small and hard to read. Color might help a bit though on same colored backgrounds. And yes I sit about 6ft away but have a 60" and it's to hard to read still most of the time. Also my son and I were fighting the worm boss in the corruption on expert and experienced horrible lag. It caused me to die(Xbox). Only spot I've noticed lag so far though but man did I get mad popping around.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom