Official Console 1.3 Update Feedback Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say you can narrow down most of the non-bug issues to these:

• Make inventory slots more opaque/allow players to adjust opacity. Also maybe change color relative to the background (ie if the background is dark make slots brighter, vice versa)

• Make status effects more opaque/allow players to adjust. As above, maybe change color relative to background.

• Change font size and location of tooltips and text to make it easier to read + ensure that text does not overlap.

• Maintain d-pad mapping even when exiting worlds.

• Allow for manual saving.

•In general, allow players more personal control over the UI

Anything else?

• Make inventory slots more opaque/allow players to adjust opacity. Also maybe change color relative to the background (ie if the background is dark make slots brighter, vice versa)

• Make status effects more opaque/allow players to adjust. As above, maybe change color relative to background.

• Change font size and location of tooltips and text to make it easier to read + ensure that text does not overlap.

Anything else?
That list is absolutely perfect. I'll add restoring the touchpad zoom option on the PS4. There are absolutely no reasons that should have been removed. There will never be PS/XB crossplay, so there'd be no unfair advantage over other players.

The Terraria World Map companion app for Android needs updated now I think. I'm unable to even connect it to my Xbox One since the update. Just sits there loading forever. Can't tell if this is related to the update or to my new phone (Galaxy S8).

I bet the removal of the touchpad zoom from PS4 has less to do with unfair advantages and more to do with not wanting 2 different version of the same code. Right now I'd wager the code for PS4 and XB1 are almost identical except for the Xbox Live and PSN matchmaking hooks. The less differences or forks your code has, the easier it is to maintain.

Anything else?

How about giving us back the "exit without saving" option. I'm currently two items away from being able to craft the cell phone, but the two items I need are both random quest rewards from the angler. The ability to get the fish, save, and then give him the fish, see what I got back, and exit without saving to do it again until I get the items I need would be infinitely preferable to doing quests for a damn month until the RNG decides to cooperate.

The Terraria World Map companion app for Android needs updated now I think. I'm unable to even connect it to my Xbox One since the update. Just sits there loading forever. Can't tell if this is related to the update or to my new phone (Galaxy S8).
I'm guessing it isn't compatible with the newly adjusted world sizes and formats. The connection issue is likely due to checking for a compatible version.

I don't know if there are plans to update it. The new in-game map seems to provide the same function, does it not? I'll see what I can find out though.

I'm guessing it isn't compatible with the newly adjusted world sizes and formats. The connection issue is likely due to checking for a compatible version.

I don't know if there are plans to update it. The new in-game map seems to provide the same function, does it not? I'll see what I can find out though.
pretty sure that pipeworks announced that the companion app is dead not sure were but it was talked about
amirite fellas?

pretty sure that pipeworks announced that the companion app is dead not sure were but it was talked about
amirite fellas?
To follow up on this: it most likely will not be updated.

Source:
If memory serves me correctly, the answer was "not with the new update, but it will continue to function with the old one (on old gen systems)"

(and to clarify - it only worked for XB1/PS4 anyway, and does not work with the older gen consoles)

The functionality of the app has been included within the game now, the map/mini-map can be displayed on-screen during game-play.

To follow up on this: it most likely will not be updated.

Source:

(and to clarify - it only worked for XB1/PS4 anyway, and does not work with the older gen consoles)

The functionality of the app has been included within the game now, the map/mini-map can be displayed on-screen during game-play.
So if it doesn't work on the systems that have the compatible version of the game, why is it even still listed on the app marketplaces? Sounds like 1.3 made it obsolete on the only systems it worked with.

Not sure if I need to put this in the bug report...

Finally beat a solar pillar and got the solar eruption.

So... back story.. finally decided to attempt the work around and play in multiplayer. He already had the solar eruption. My world and the fight had extremely bad lag... which we attributed to the multiplayer as neither us have played in multiplayer since the update.

I joined his world (my cultist didn't drop the crafting station) to craft the weapon... still insane lag... both of us tested our internet connections (we live in seperate states) and nothing was an issue there. Decided that multiplayer was broken and separated to single player world's.

He is using the solar eruption with no issues... but when I use it in any of my world's the lag is so bad that the twins are leaving red streaks on their flight path and my toon looks like she is trying to walk through cob webs... ONLY while swinging the weapon.

In multiple single player world's some with nothing built or set up and no events... some with tunnels lit by torches as the only thing built and one with a monstrous amount of building and npcs all together.. all of the world's work fine until I Start to swing the solar eruption. As soon as I stop swinging it the world goes back to normal.

(Also noted before the lag spike every do often as if the game is trying to save but no sunflower shows up... sunflower now shows up even though autosave is clearly disabled.)

Not sure if I need to put this in the bug report...

Finally beat a solar pillar and got the solar eruption.

So... back story.. finally decided to attempt the work around and play in multiplayer. He already had the solar eruption. My world and the fight had extremely bad lag... which we attributed to the multiplayer as neither us have played in multiplayer since the update.

I joined his world (my cultist didn't drop the crafting station) to craft the weapon... still insane lag... both of us tested our internet connections (we live in seperate states) and nothing was an issue there. Decided that multiplayer was broken and separated to single player world's.

He is using the solar eruption with no issues... but when I use it in any of my world's the lag is so bad that the twins are leaving red streaks on their flight path and my toon looks like she is trying to walk through cob webs... ONLY while swinging the weapon.

In multiple single player world's some with nothing built or set up and no events... some with tunnels lit by torches as the only thing built and one with a monstrous amount of building and npcs all together.. all of the world's work fine until I Start to swing the solar eruption. As soon as I stop swinging it the world goes back to normal.

(Also noted before the lag spike every do often as if the game is trying to save but no sunflower shows up... sunflower now shows up even though autosave is clearly disabled.)
I'd say yes, you should make a bug report. Better you're repeating what someone else reported than to have no one report it at all.

I'm kinda sad they removed ocram and some other console exclusives but it's still great.

Anything else?
I made some similar points earlier, have a look (4th post down):
https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/console-1-3-update-feedback-thread.64220/page-36

Is anyone else experiencing the lag with the solar eruption?

I think I submitted the bug report correctly(?)

Still having the issue though it seems less severe this afternoon through the evening on two seperate play sessions. Still can barely move if you can call it moving while swinging. Sad if this isn't an issue because I like this weapon but as it is this seems to be choosing between fight or flight vs. The other weapons I have utilized including the Terrablade.

utoSave was supposedly happening every 5 minutes

Yeah, if Autosave isn't actually working, that is a whole other beast. Does that happen all of the time or just sporadically? I haven't personally had an autosave fail yet - but am intrigued if this is a thing.

Why was the touchpad zoom removed?

Asked about this - apparently, it was some Unity compatibility issue. (Details of which are way over my head) TLDR is that it may be able to come back at some point, but not immediately. Again, the technical details are over my head beyond what I said above.

Why do we now have to turn on the D-pad options & remap them

The actual "dpad mapping option" should stay in place - if/that it is not is a bug. I shared that with the PW team the other day so that they could look into it. Not sure on the "why not keep actual items mapped" part. I do know why it doesn't map to specific items and rather to inventory slots - essentially has to do with situations where that mapped item is modified, etc. and how it would mess with the logic of the system.

So if I understand correctly, the overtransparent menus are here to stay?
Quite a number of players shared their opinion regarding the overtransparent and color flickering pop up texts, but those are obviously just opinions and will be ignored, those people just need more time to adjust?

Not sure how you got that from that paragraph (wherein it literally calls out transparency-on-zoom as a major issue)? All I said was that "bring back the old UI" and "Give two UIs" aren't happening. Focus is making what is here better - and certainly transparency/blinky text/etc. would be a part of that.

I dug a 2-block wide hellavator in a large world the other day (straight down from surface to the underworld), encountering substantial amounts of water along the way. Once I made it all the way to the underworld I knew the water was going to take quite awhile to drain and "evaporate" in real-time, so I saved/exited then reloaded the world. The loading screen then stuck on "Settling Liquids: 96%". I left it and came back to see if it would recover (and it finally did), but it took approximately 5 minutes without changing from "96%". Is this how the loading process is intended to work now?

Will have to ask PW on that one - which I just submitted the Q.

Did the "quick stack to all chests" feature make it into this update? If so, how do you use it?

Yes. It is just below the right side of the inventory area. Pull up Inventory, Scroll down. Looks like this:
QuickStack.PNG

It took me 30 minutes to figure out how to reforge after the update. I finally figured out that when you drop the item to be reforged into the reforge box, the item's stats often completely cover and hide the tiny reforge action icon (little hammer to the bottom right). I didn't even realize that UI button existed until I kept experimenting and finally attempted to reforge an item that had a shorter description.

Once I get to the Tinkerer (had zero time to play over the weekend :( ) - I will give that a look first-hand.

I've found where the buffs are and I'm wondering if my UI is cutting off the time remaining or am I not seeing it or is it just not there?

Known bug. We have put this high on the fix list for PW.

auto save did not appear to save any of my progress several times now for over 30 minutes worth of work

Yeah, putting this right in front of the PW guys today. Will see what they say. I get the occasional "stutter" on my character - but its <0.5s. I have not experienced the "character freezes for seconds" as of yet.

Clearly, Autosave needs to work... and if it isn't that needs to be addressed. Not much more to say there.

one time after zooming in most of the way in the tv remained fine for all 30 minutes even without ever zooming back out

I will fiddle with zoom (I mostly play at 100%) and see if it happens on mine as well. I am not sure why this is an issue with the build (and not PS4) - over my technical head. I know the PW team is aware - all that I can personally offer is the workarounds that I know of in the meantime. Sorry.

happens 100% of the time I use my grapple. I haven’t tested it without the dye

Known bug with "invisible" projectiles, etc. related to dyes. Its on PW's short list.

Generated another world to look for more sword shrines, and while rooting around I noticed that the text for my weapons and tools was spazzing out. It was flickering rapidly, going from higher damage and knockback to lower in a manner that'd give you a seizure if watched for two long. I've never seen it do that before.

Video of this?

But the tally counter still reads crawltipede: 0

Interesting. Is this happening to anyone/everyone else? Will look out for this when I get that far.

The text blinking and over transparency are actual bugs I believe.

Transparency on zoom is 100% a bug. Its a bad one too. Blink is on PC as well - but it admittedly causes/exacerbates legibility issues.

The work around for the world over write bug... how sure is it that your world will not be over written by the other persons world if you join from the main dashboard or home screen?

My understanding is that if you follow the directions they gave to the letter (listed in the FAQ), it works all the time. That said, a fix for overwrite should (hopefully) be coming along soon... so you may want to wait for that if you want to be super-certain. Losing a world is no small matter, after all. :(

I don't think you understand. I have spent hours "muddling" through the settings on my TV to no avail. just. Give. Us. An. Overscan. Option.

I understand perfectly. As I stated above, the team is aware. In the meantime, all I can offer is that there is a setting there somewhere that will sort it out in the meantime. Happy to help muddle with you if you want. :)

Any chance I can get a video of this? Would be super odd to have one item (literally one specific itemdrop) that would cause this only on one system. If you hand off that specific drop to him, does the lag follow the item or does it only occur on your system?

Not sure how you got that from that paragraph (wherein it literally calls out transparency-on-zoom as a major issue)? All I said was that "bring back the old UI" and "Give two UIs" aren't happening. Focus is making what is here better - and certainly transparency/blinky text/etc. would be a part of that.

I stand corrected then.

I hope these issues will be resolved soon so people can play this great game again without to much discrepancies.

@Loki

On my bug report another player posted a video. I have an extremely hectic week so uncertain what my game time looks like but I will try to get a solo video and try the hand off as well if his and my play times get to line up at all this week.

I will also be in new York this weekend and should be able to test my saves on his console and see if perhaps it is a my old Xbox one issue as well since he is saying his is not having any issues when playing solo only when we were together and his is a newer Xbox one (Pretty sure mine was a day one released console.)

also curious to see the tv not reset back, but his is newer albeit still samsung.

I know I know, my car is also old... 2004 alero which should not be working still but I take care of my stuff and can't see the logic in replacing something if it is still functioning...

Long and short I am just searching on my own for anything that appears to be a common denominator when recreating the issue... switching locations, consoles and tvs should rule out the "oh your crap is old" hand wave.. or justify a new Xbox one (x):dryadpassionate::dryadgrin:

Long and short I am just searching on my own for anything that appears to be a common denominator when recreating the issue... switching locations, consoles and tvs should rule out the "oh your crap is old" hand wave.. or justify a new Xbox one (x)

That kind of deductive reasoning and investigative work is what gets things found and fixed (the disease and not just the symptoms - so that is appreciated).

I am most curious about the autosave thing as well. Are you saying you had autosave ON and the flower appeared and yet nothing was saved... or are you saying it was off and then save and exit didn’t save/crashed? Both?

I know I know, my car is also old... 2004 alero which should not be working still but I take care of my stuff and can't see the logic in replacing something if it is still functioning...

Trust me, I get it. My car is a 2002. Sweet cassette deck and all. ;)

Last edited:
@Loki (RE: AutoSave Crash)

Here is how it went down for me...

NOTE: AutoSave is Enabled and the Sunflower appears every 5-10 minutes as expected in all of these cases up until the crash.

1st Time: Booted up the Xbox (original) and loaded up the game. About 5 minutes in a Blood Moon event began. Played through that and another 5 hours. Went to Save & Exit...Sunflower appeared...game froze...flower kept spinning for 20 minutes before I rebooted the whole system. Watched TV. Loaded up the game in the morning and all 5 hours of progress and items where gone. The game loaded into the Blood Moon event that had occurred at the beginning of my previous play session.

2nd Time: Booted up the Xbox (still original :) and loaded up the game. About 5 minutes in a Blood Moon event began. Played through that and another 10 minutes or so. Went to Save & Exit...see above...lost the whole play session worth of progress and items again.

3rd Time: same as the 2nd except that the Blood Moon event didn't start for about an hour and I played for another hour after that. Lost all 2 hours of progress and items. Again.

4th Time: Playing Split-screen MP for about 2 hours. Blood Moon Event happens and we log off right after it finished. Player 2 went to Save & Exit first and her screen froze as described above. I waited about 1 minute then decided to try a Save & Exit on my screen...It worked. We didn't lose anything!

Only common denominator for me is the Blood Moon event. Could be coincidental. Could be any event and I've only had the Blood Moon so that's why I see it there. I really don't know. I'm watching for commonalities so I'll report any that I find. I want to test...

1. Logging out right after a BM starts.
2. Logging out right after the first auto-save after the BM event ends.

I'm wondering if the freeze caused the auto-saves to corrupt and then it has to resort back to the last hard save (the one that I load at the beginning of a play session). Having a more redundant auto-save feature (even behind the curtain where we don't have any control) might help in this regard. So that maybe the game creates 3 auto-saves before overwriting any of them and every hour of play time could result in a new hard save being created for proprietaries sake.

At any rate, just thinking out load and hoping something helps. If you need my world save or anything else just let me know. Thanks.

EDIT: Also, just to clarify the Dpad issue...the binding stays but the items don't . So you always have to open the inventory to reset the items on the Dpad at the beginning of every play session. Since the game doesn't remember the items, nor the character zoom level, nor the mini-map zoom-level...that's a lot of prep work at the beginning of each play session just to be back to where you were the last time you played. Kind of a bummer really.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom