Official Console 1.3 Update Feedback Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's been one update in 7 months, and I've heard that they're apparently concentrating on the Switch & mobile. No news, no nothing. So many things are still incredibly broken, important features removed & changed, with no solution in sight. There's no way I can say a great job has been done.

They really should release multiple updates here and there, instead of just saving everything for a big one which may never come. The only reason I go back to the PS4 version now is to check and see if anything has been changed.

I most certainly agree with you on all the points made.
[doublepost=1534254559,1534254196][/doublepost]
It's quite disturbing realy what happens to Terraria on console at the moment, Pipeworks takes over, releases an update after pushing it backwards time and time again, come up with a bugpatch and that's it.
Livestreams have stopped, status updates on the forum have stopped, heck there's practically no communication at all anymore.
Don't tell me Pipeworks is turning Terraria on console into vaporware.......it's starting to look that way though.

Unfortunately with my current outlook on things it most certainly seems to be the case

@Loki @ClearConscious am I write in thinking that when (if) Pipeworks are done with this current patch - which I would lay £20 on not being done before Halloween - that they still have a bunch of single-player issues to fix? And that these will be yet another few months at least?

@Loki @ClearConscious am I write in thinking that when (if) Pipeworks are done with this current patch - which I would lay £20 on not being done before Halloween - that they still have a bunch of single-player issues to fix? And that these will be yet another few months at least?

I'd triple that, they got a major update coming 'Soon' so I suspect if it like the launch of 1.3's 'Soon' I'd wouldnt be supirsed if we looking anytime soon after next year

I thought that was the entire point of the censorship emojis..?
The profanity filter is in place for members that choose not to see curse words. That doesn't mean it's acceptable to be insulting and disrespectful towards others. It filters swear words which are permitted. Your insults are not.

I'm happy to continue this discussion, but it should be moved to a private conversation. You can click on the 'Start a Conversation' link under my avatar at the bottom is you wish to discuss this further. Otherwise, this thread should get back on topic.

I'd triple that, they got a major update coming 'Soon' so I suspect if it like the launch of 1.3's 'Soon' I'd wouldnt be supirsed if we looking anytime soon after next year
It's like waiting for a new season of Doctor Who. They say it's coming, but it gets delayed and can take over a year...

It's pretty sad realy, Terraria was one my favorite games, then Pipeworks comes along, thinks it's a good idea to port 1.3 directly from pc to console leaving us with a clumsy very console user unfriendly ui.
A port that was postponed a couple times, one bug patch and now several months later it's like they vanished into thin air.
I think that in my whole gaming live Pipeworks takes the crown in messing up and leaving players hanging out to dry, I've been gaming since the late seventies.
If they ever put out a livestream again I hope they won't have the guts to smile and act like everything is great and cool.
Imho they ruined a perfectly good game, pc games work different from console games, you can't just swap them over.

At least the creators of subnautica have the courage to admit that porting is harder then they thought and hired another party to fix that for them.

It's pretty sad realy, Terraria was one my favorite games, then Pipeworks comes along, thinks it's a good idea to port 1.3 directly from pc to console leaving us with a clumsy very console user unfriendly ui.
A port that was postponed a couple times, one bug patch and now several months later it's like they vanished into thin air.
I think that in my whole gaming live Pipeworks takes the crown in messing up and leaving players hanging out to dry, I've been gaming since the late seventies.
If they ever put out a livestream again I hope they won't have the guts to smile and act like everything is great and cool.
Imho they ruined a perfectly good game, pc games work different from console games, you can't just swap them over.

At least the creators of subnautica have the courage to admit that porting is harder then they thought and hired another party to fix that for them.

Also this notion of the one terraria didn't help trying to make it more like the pc through changes to the UI, removal of many consle exclusives (mini pets and mobs) at it's current state might aswell just get it on pc. To my understanding they won't change the UI back, I wonder if it is in grand concept of the 'one terraria' causing blindness to the truth that it's a consle game first. PC content port second.
A freind made a good point to me earlier: (sure he is reading this now) that the idea of 1.3 was "Able to resolve bugs and problems and add content faster" - paraphrasing from pipeworks
And to what extent one patch in seven months. Sorting the overwriting save bug that shouldn't got past QA let alone certification on ps4 showing the poor quality of terraria on consle's realise. PC had the same ideology and it advanced overcoming it's problems quickly and effectively
PS: I would agree that a certain level of professionalism and tact rather avoidance for months on end on the issues important to the community

We post updates when we have them to give, but a lot of game development is behind the scenes and not consumer-facing. Reprogramming a huge sandbox game for several different platforms is a huge and complicated process and there often isn't a lot of news to give. If it was a straight port that would be one thing, but that's not what we're doing. We are currently compiling a huge list of fixes for the latest incoming patch at the moment, so don't think that the consoles will never get a patch for the issues you guys have been encountering! As for the actual features in the game, you have to keep in mind that this is a collaborative process between ourselves, 505, and Re-Logic. No decision has been made in a vacuum, and there are a lot of people involved every step of the way. Everyone involved listens to and appreciates the feedback from the community; your words are not lost on any of them.

With that said, Pipeworks' community team, which consists of myself and @ClearConscious, are in charge of the streams. Things have been crazy for me the last couple of months, which is why our livestreams have been scattered lately, so for that I apologize. We should be getting back into a regular schedule soon. Fair warning: I will be smiling on our next stream... because things are great and cool. :dryadwink:

We post updates when we have them to give, but a lot of game development is behind the scenes and not consumer-facing. Reprogramming a huge sandbox game for several different platforms is a huge and complicated process and there often isn't a lot of news to give. If it was a straight port that would be one thing, but that's not what we're doing. We are currently compiling a huge list of fixes for the latest incoming patch at the moment, so don't think that the consoles will never get a patch for the issues you guys have been encountering! As for the actual features in the game, you have to keep in mind that this is a collaborative process between ourselves, 505, and Re-Logic. No decision has been made in a vacuum, and there are a lot of people involved every step of the way. Everyone involved listens to and appreciates the feedback from the community; your words are not lost on any of them.

With that said, Pipeworks' community team, which consists of myself and @ClearConscious, are in charge of the streams. Things have been crazy for me the last couple of months, which is why our livestreams have been scattered lately, so for that I apologize. We should be getting back into a regular schedule soon. Fair warning: I will be smiling on our next stream... because things are great and cool. :dryadwink:
I'd rather everyone at Pipeworks got on with fixing the bugs rather than making a video: you can just post on hear what you would have read out on camera. I think that's a much better use of everybody's time.

Don't get me wrong, the two of you in the videos were very likeable, and I look forward to seeing your smiling faces again, once there's a launch announcement to make, but I'm sure you'd prefer to spend your time fixing the bugs rather than making videos.

Time for my peice on the matter

Firstly shouldn't the reprogramming phase be over? The main point of 1.3 on colsole was to reprogram and rebuild from the ground up thus the release of said update should signify that this has been done

Secondly from what I've read from looking through your social media post you currently have "hundreds" of fixes in the works, so you can not say that at least half them hasn't been finished yet after all if there's "hundreds" thus you could of released these finished patches/fixes when they were ready instead of leaving thousands games broken and leaving players less and less interested in terraria. With all this said along every other point and reason I have stated in every other post still makes me wonder why im intrested fighting for salvaging 1.3 on console. *sigh* that's a lot ire for one life time; I'll carry on without having the old ui back just make the dam game enjoyable as it should be as myself and my freind want to enjoy it that is the core reason.

Last edited:
Firstly shouldn't the reprogramming phase be over? The main point of 1.3 on colsole was to reprogram and rebuild from the ground up thus the release of said update should signify that this has been done
Very likely, to address the performance issues that the current version have, a major rewrite is needed. That takes time unfortunately.

You post updates when you have them, clear enough, but after so many months without any word at all about an eventual update doesn't realy add to the faith a lot of players try to maintain imho.
Choices being made outside a vacuum makes it only harder for me personally to comprehend why using a PC user interface on a Console was a good idea.

Porting 1.3 to console is sure enough a great thing but everything's definitely not cool at the moment imho.

You post updates when you have them, clear enough, but after so many months without any word at all about an eventual update doesn't realy add to the faith a lot of players try to maintain imho.
Choices being made outside a vacuum makes it only harder for me personally to comprehend why using a PC user interface on a Console was a good idea.

Porting 1.3 to console is sure enough a great thing but everything's definitely not cool at the moment imho.

Well said on all points made and I can't understand why the PC UI was brought to replace a far greater CONSOLE UI so you're not the only one who thinks that things arn't all cool and going well

Last edited:
That's a pretty thorough and well written update. I'd be surprised as hell if most of that stuff hasn't been addressed in all the time we've been waiting. Still as even you pointed out most of that is minor or cosmetic. Not the end of the world if most of that stuff stays broken for a while.
But it's the kind of stuff that would have been noticed if it was tested properly prior to launch.

Maybe. Terraria is a sandbox game with a ton more interconnected parts than most people would expect. Most of the time testing every permutation of a game like this becomes unreasonable. There's only so much time and money anyone can be expected to invest until it's "good enough." An average staff of 4 QA testers would cost over a thousand dollars a week and still wouldn't be able to test every possible combination of factors in a reasonable amount of time.
I noticed most of the stuff on my list within a few hours of playing. I think the problem is that they didn't get any console players to test it prior yo launch.

I'd rather everyone at Pipeworks got on with fixing the bugs rather than making a video: you can just post on hear what you would have read out on camera. I think that's a much better use of everybody's time.

Don't get me wrong, the two of you in the videos were very likeable, and I look forward to seeing your smiling faces again, once there's a launch announcement to make, but I'm sure you'd prefer to spend your time fixing the bugs rather than making videos.

Thanks for the kind words about our videos! We enjoy making them, so it’s great to hear when people watch them.

Regarding your bug comment tho, I can assure you that the community team doesn’t have a hand in fixing bugs. We have specific positions like QA, engineering, design, etc that take care of bugs, but having me fix bugs would be like asking our HR manager or our accountant to fix bugs; not everyone who works in the studio is involved in the coding process, and we’re the last ones in line for anything regarding updates since we deal with the most outward-facing part of the studio.

As for the speculation about how long this process takes, let me assure you that we want this our just as badly as you do! It takes time, and what worked on the PS4 and XB1 consoles doesn’t necessarily slot into what works for the mobile and Switch platforms. There are lots of unique challenges that need to be worked out before we give any concrete info. One of the reasons we don’t give updates as often as we would like is because we want to make sure that the information we give is accurate and relevant. There are also lots of periods during development that would be not only boring to talk about, but are also things we can’t talk about due to the nature of our industry.

If there are any specific parts of gamedev you guys would like to see, please feel free to send the ideas my way and I will do what I can to show you if we’re able to! Thanks for the comments and feedback ❤️

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom