Console and Mobile News: Windows Phone Fix Incoming and More!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to stop being so negative and realize that most Games nowadays do have later content added onto them, this is to increase playability and enjoyment of the title as well as other things.

Would you say the same if you purchased one of Microsofts Operating systems? Updates are continuously rolled out for many programs, when you purchase the initial product, your getting the Full Version not a 1/3 or 1/5 or 1/8 of a product, the fact that you receive support via updates is an added perk from the company not an entitlement.

Your seeing the pc version having 1.3 etc and asking "why haven't I got it yet, where's my slice if the pie"

Your very lucky that developers such as 505 carry on developing and releasing updates for previous gen systems, while big company's like Blizzard stopped completely for 360/PS3 ( Diablo 3 )

In all fairness 505 / Engine could have just left the base game on release as it was, with no additional content added in, but they didn't, so be thankful that we have any updates at all

You make a great point, Everyone who is complaining about not getting the update needs to SHUT UP!! Quit complaining, You've all probably heard the saying "ROME wasn't built in a day" well the same works here. The game takes time to be worked on, if we keep trying to rush them they'll mess up and take longer. I don't want them to take longer so I don't complain, i wait til it happens then rejoice for joy when i get it.

I purchased the game at launch. Can't help but notice the first update nearly doubled the content. Also can't help but notice the following update also significantly increased the overall depth. Now there's a pending update, and still there will be another. The game when purchased was nothing near what it is today, and what it is today is nothing near what it will be at 1.3. So 8n my opinion the game was incomplete when purchased. Unless you're telling me all the content updates were included and I just haven't unocked them. Or would you say at launch terraria consumed the same amount of hdd space as it does now? You don't see my point of view. After the next update, apples to apples l, the game I purchased will only be about 1/5 of what it is today. To me these updates and all therein that is found are simply the "rest of the game I purchased at launch". it is what it is

So, you knew at launch in 2012 - when there were no promised future updates to either PC or Console - that PC would be getting 1.2, 1.2.1-4, 1.3, etc. in advance and took that into account when you purchased the game. Unless you and Doc Brown have the DeLorean stashed in a barn somewhere, no offense, but that doesn't really hang together. :)

Somehow you have taken "free updates to the game that quintupled it in size from launch" and twisted it into a bad thing. Honest Question: If we had instead packaged 1.2 and 1.3 as paid DLC, would that somehow be better, given your logic? Then they would be "expansion packs" instead of just free additions to the game - problem solved, right? I mean, it gets hard to read over and over again how crappy everyone and everything is when all of our teams are legitimately trying to do the right thing and *NOT* treat gamers like walking wallets.

I'm not trying to be hard on you - but you surely have to see the error in the logic here, right?

I'm sa
At what point did you purchase "1/3 of a game"? At console launch in 2012, console had MORE content than PC and mobile didn't exist. If you mean 1.2, that launched in late 2013....and console got it (albeit with a really bad launch) in April 2014. From that point until now - after a period of time with which to clean up the 1.2 console launch mess, content has come every handful of months up until reaching its current 1.2.4 state.

If you mean 1.3, it is indeed a sizable update - but it is FAR from being 2/3 of the game....nor was it ever or has it ever been part of any expectations for someone that bought the game "years" ago. 1.3 has not even been out a year yet.

Look, I get the rabid desire for more content faster - and I appreciate it - but over the top hyperbole doesn't help anything. As @LordNosferatu noted, for both PC and console and mobile, the game is always sold "as is" being a completed version. That we continue to add more and more to the game at our own cost while never raising the price - and then that 505 follows suit - is a boon to gamers that we are happy to bring - but acting like our doing so renders the current game "incomplete" is just bad logic. Sorry. :)

Couple that with a strong need to be more "deliberate" in the choices made (honestly, to avoid another 1.2 console launch) - and yeah, that yields the current "pace". That said, there is nothing anyone can do about the MS wait. Out of their hands.

Longer term, the team is absolutely on the lookout for ways to enhance quality and speed of updates in order to "close the gap" - no one enjoys or likes that the "gap" exists.

I hope that helps clear the air a bit there - and hopefully 505 will have more cool and exciting news to share in the months to come. ;)

Are you asking if <1gb will get future updates? Seems like no.

Are you asking if you have a <1gb device and your game is broken is there any way to revert versions (WP, <1gb, for example)? Really good question. Will ask.
I'm saying I have a device with less than 1gb does that mean I won't be able to play even though I bought it

I'm sa I'm saying I have a device with less than 1gb does that mean I won't be able to play even though I bought it
Are you saying that you can't play it at all, or that you can't update it? Which device do you have, and from which store did you purchase Terraria?

I'm saying I have a device with less than 1gb does that mean I won't be able to play even though I bought it

It just means you won't get updates beyond the point at which <1gb is no longer supported. The game should still run fine at the level it is prior to that - unless it was something like the WP being broken prior (thus my question).

It just means you won't get updates beyond the point at which <1gb is no longer supported. The game should still run fine at the level it is prior to that - unless it was something like the WP being broken prior (thus my question).
It doesn't show up in windows store

I have a question for the people complaining about the updates...or not getting the full game.

How many hours have you played Terraria? Just out of curiosity. Ive played it on Xbox 360 for over 200 hours. Once I got my Xbox one, I started over and played it for another 200 hours. For a game thats less than 20 bucks, that seems like a pretty good ROI.

If the devs had never even released any new content, and just bug fixes etc from the original game, most people still would have logged lots of hours on this game, more than 20 bucks worth I'm sure.

I think as gamers people have become so entitled that they dont even think before they speak. These are devs...giving out FREE content. And you have the audacity to complain about when you get it? Mind boggling.

Loki brought up a good point about DLCs. So many game developers these days see us as cash cows, and its a welcome sight to see this company treat their gamers differently.

So, you knew at launch in 2012 - when there were no promised future updates to either PC or Console - that PC would be getting 1.2, 1.2.1-4, 1.3, etc. in advance and took that into account when you purchased the game. Unless you and Doc Brown have the DeLorean stashed in a barn somewhere, no offense, but that doesn't really hang together. :)

Somehow you have taken "free updates to the game that quintupled it in size from launch" and twisted it into a bad thing. Honest Question: If we had instead packaged 1.2 and 1.3 as paid DLC, would that somehow be better, given your logic? Then they would be "expansion packs" instead of just free additions to the game - problem solved, right? I mean, it gets hard to read over and over again how crappy everyone and everything is when all of our teams are legitimately trying to do the right thing and *NOT* treat gamers like walking wallets.

I'm not trying to be hard on you - but you surely have to see the error in the logic here, right?

It's funny you asked that question Loki, regarding would it be better if it was paid dlc? I asked that question MONTHS AGO, and was basically told to shush, it'll never happen, be patient and grateful etc.
Personally I would have much rather had it as paid dlc than free updates. At least that way customers either pay for it and have it, or they don't pay and just have the base game.
It's very clear that given the issues with getting last gen updates out, there is zero percent chance of 1.3, 1
3.1 and so on coming to last gen, possibly even next gen consoles as well.
My only hope is that when Otherworld is released, they add content as paid dlc instead of updates, and that next gen console users aren't 6 months to a year behind our pc brothers

It's funny you asked that question Loki, regarding would it be better if it was paid dlc? I asked that question MONTHS AGO, and was basically told to shush, it'll never happen, be patient and grateful etc.
Personally I would have much rather had it as paid dlc than free updates. At least that way customers either pay for it and have it, or they don't pay and just have the base game.
It's very clear that given the issues with getting last gen updates out, there is zero percent chance of 1.3, 1
My only hope is that when Otherworld is released, they add content as paid dlc instead of updates, and that next gen console users aren't 6 months to a year behind our pc brothers

I think a lot of people here will agree with me on this but. You are a very very silly person. Paid DLC and games not been completed at launch. Has been a massive issue. Terraria WAS complete when it come to console. Anything after that. Which was a FREE update. Just like Minecraft does. Is a LOT better than paid dlc.

By your logic. And sorry to be talking about another game. Minecraft would be in at least what? $50-100 atm for its FREE updates if it was DLC. And thats JUST the updates.

I would rather wait the few months. For the update that the devs are working hard on and giving it to everyone FOR FREE. Than have it rushed. And have to pay for it. The wait is worth it in the end. Because there are a lot of issues that are dealt with that we never have to deal with.

I bought this game day one that I could on pc. I bought it day one on 360 and day one on xbox one. I own it on Mobile and 3ds as well. Do I play it often on all of those? Not on mobile as much cause my phone sucks. And don't on 360 any more because xbox one. BUT I bought these games all. AS IS. I bought them. Because the devs are awesome and the game is awesome. To have free updates at no cost adding extra stuff. Is great. It like gaming in the old days in away. None of this DLC stuff. They shipped the game out. Finished. Work on the game had stopped. From memory for awhile. Cause the team split? I think I'm remembering that right. And no more updates where gonna happen. But people wanted more. And they came back and we got more. They didn't have to do that. The game was finished. No mention of updates on console either. The game was just brought to console and that was it. We wanted updates. We got them. So I say.

Be greatfull. That the devs and 505 games and such are not. Seeing us their player base as walking wallets. Like other companys do. Be greatful. That they are still here. Even through everything nearly everyone puts them through. So Thank you devs and 505 games. Even those these updates are not every day or week. They are still updating us when they can and have enough info for us that they know we would like to know . AS soon as they know.

So thank you Devs and your wonderful team and 505 games for your amazing work. And I can't wait to hear more news when it arrives. and I look forward to the update.

P.S - Sorry for the wall of text.

P.S.S - I almost for got you amazing mods and staff on the forums that do an amazing job with having to put up with people that complain about updates taking to long. I thank you as well.

P.S.S.S - The game wasn't cheap here either on xbox one or 3ds. It was at least $30+. Each. Sure I was a little annoyed. BUT I was happy to pay that. And I will be happy to pay it again. Why? Free updates. That are STILL been made and thought of. And its an amazing game. That is worth every dollar.

I think I edited that like 7 times ;-;......Make that 9

Last edited:

Fair points - though I am not honestly sure that I follow the logic. As it stands, you have it without paying for it. The downside, of course, being the gap in time from PC to Console...which everyone wishes were faster and cleaner. Best I can tell, your hypothesis is that if it were paid DLC, then it would have come out sooner?

To be clear - from anything that I have ever been privy to - whether or not the content is paid DLC has nothing to do with the time gap between PC and Console updates. If you are correct and older platforms do indeed drop off (as they have already started to do on mobile...and, heck, even older PCs when 1.3 came out) - that will also have nothing to do with it being paid or unpaid....it will have to be technical limitations that force the hand. The gap between current and old eventually becomes so broad that you have to make those tough calls - its the nature of technology far beyond this one video game.

So, we have no plans to do paid stuff nor ask 505 to do so - but rest assured that we are keeping the pressure on and pushing for whatever it takes to close the "gap" in terms of time and authenticity to the PC experience. As for TOW, the design all along there is to develop in close parallel proximity on both - as we are going in knowing we would take it to consoles. Terraria at its initial inception had no such precognition - which makes the porting harder than it might have been otherwise. Hindsight and 20/20 and all.

Fair points - though I am not honestly sure that I follow the logic. As it stands, you have it without paying for it. The downside, of course, being the gap in time from PC to Console...which everyone wishes were faster and cleaner. Best I can tell, your hypothesis is that if it were paid DLC, then it would have come out sooner?

To be clear - from anything that I have ever been privy to - whether or not the content is paid DLC has nothing to do with the time gap between PC and Console updates. If you are correct and older platforms do indeed drop off (as they have already started to do on mobile...and, heck, even older PCs when 1.3 came out) - that will also have nothing to do with it being paid or unpaid....it will have to be technical limitations that force the hand. The gap between current and old eventually becomes so broad that you have to make those tough calls - its the nature of technology far beyond this one video game.

So, we have no plans to do paid stuff nor ask 505 to do so - but rest assured that we are keeping the pressure on and pushing for whatever it takes to close the "gap" in terms of time and authenticity to the PC experience. As for TOW, the design all along there is to develop in close parallel proximity on both - as we are going in knowing we would take it to consoles. Terraria at its initial inception had no such precognition - which makes the porting harder than it might have been otherwise. Hindsight and 20/20 and all.

My pc use to run Terraria when it first come out around 1.2 and before perfectly fine. Now its bit laggy for me. But that is my pc. Because its 9 years old now. Not gonna last for ever.

Unless its a retro console. In which case. Lasts for ever. >_>

My pc use to run Terraria when it first come out around 1.2 and before perfectly fine. Now its bit laggy for me. But that is my pc. Because its 9 years old now. Not gonna last for ever.

Unless its a retro console. In which case. Lasts for ever. >_>
console master race!!!! BTW WHEN THIS DARN UPDATE ARRIVING?! console minecraft got their share why cant xbox terraria!?

Is that a joke? There are 3 parts to terraria on my hdd and yours. The actual game (34mb) the first update (36mb) and another update (also 36mb) that's 3 parts, with the actual game being only one of them. Here's a photo of that if you can't understand. The game is 1 of 3 parts, or 1/3. Saying I have bad logic makes zero sense. To me your logic is flawed.

We've been here before, you seemingly being unable to deal with my opinion because it doesn't match yours.

Facts are facts. Terraria purchased at launch is (actually slightly less than) 1/3 of what's on the hdd now. Compare: game(34mb), updated (36mb) and update 2 (36mb) together that's 106mb. The game itself is 1/3. After next update it will only be part 1 of 4, and so on. It is what it is. Unless you're saying all that came at launch, maybe you should let this one go. Here have a look at it for yourself.

Attachments

• 20160621_205129.jpg
    20160621_205129.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 260

I think maybe what I was trying to get across was lost in translation, but that tends to happen in the forums lol.

What I was meaning is that perhaps there would be more motivation to keep console and pc updates fairly equal in pace. IF we were to have it as paid dlc, that means more money for the company, which could become more staff to work out the bugs when it comes to porting. More staff may equal less time between content.
Either way it's completely fine, it's easy to see both sides when you straddle the fence so to speak!

My my, so salty.
A suggestion: go back and reread what loki said about you having claravoyance enough to see the future. Then reread what you last said last about admitting that you in fact could see the past and future simultaneously. how you where there when the game was coded and helped to determine at white board meetings that only 1/3 of the game would initially be released. And then went on about how you would determine the others would be equal shares instead of updates like every other game has been to date.
Im sure i read that.

Is that a joke? There are 3 parts to terraria on my hdd and yours. The actual game (34mb) the first update (36mb) and another update (also 36mb) that's 3 parts, with the actual game being only one of them. Here's a photo of that if you can't understand. The game is 1 of 3 parts, or 1/3. Saying I have bad logic makes zero sense. To me your logic is flawed.

We've been here before, you seemingly being unable to deal with my opinion because it doesn't match yours.

Facts are facts. Terraria purchased at launch is (actually slightly less than) 1/3 of what's on the hdd now. Compare: game(34mb), updated (36mb) and update 2 (36mb) together that's 106mb. The game itself is 1/3. After next update it will only be part 1 of 4, and so on. It is what it is. Unless you're saying all that came at launch, maybe you should let this one go. Here have a look at it for yourself.

......... I hope you are joking. And that you don't really believe that.
[doublepost=1466571994,1466571422][/doublepost]

In another post you said we got 1/16th of the game as well. But even then you are still wrong. Free updates don't mean. Oh look. We forgot to add this. Its not that at all.

Its. Hey we come up with some new ideas. And we are going to give it to you lot for free. Would you say the same thing about Minecraft? And that all its FREE updates are 1/what ever of the game?

I think maybe what I was trying to get across was lost in translation, but that tends to happen in the forums lol.

What I was meaning is that perhaps there would be more motivation to keep console and pc updates fairly equal in pace. IF we were to have it as paid dlc, that means more money for the company, which could become more staff to work out the bugs when it comes to porting. More staff may equal less time between content.
Either way it's completely fine, it's easy to see both sides when you straddle the fence so to speak!

Yeah, I get what you mean - appreciate the additional clarity (forums often do lose things in translation!). Having seen first/second hand the level of investment here ($ and people), I'm not sure its as simple as just "if they cost more, we could have more people". While that is indeed logical, I'm not so sure that I would chalk "the gap" up to that one factor (nor will I imply that a team of many more people would not be faster than now): its a combination of things from the PC code not being "friendly" in the porting process to some issues in the process (which is why they completely re-did and continue to evolve CS and QA) to having to make sure everything works on systems that launched 12 years apart to often technical-side things that really have nothing to do with the game itself but rather how it "plays" with the existing console systems.

So "more people" would help to a degree - but not once have I heard 505 say to me "we would love to get that faster, but we aren't going to spend the money because we won't make a ton on the backend....so if you would just let us do DLC...".

Now, all that said - I will reiterate that we at Re-Logic keep a close and watchful eye on things and we have and will continue to push for reforms that we feel are necessary. Closing the time and authenticity gap is something we (and 505 for that matter) would love to see happen. Time will tell, I suppose.

------

Not at all. You claimed to purchase console at launch. Console was announced and brought out at the latter stages of the "hiatus" when there was no real hope nor knowledge of any further content to be coming down the pipe. Trust me, I know that time quite well having been front and center during all of the drama around how console was going to be better than PC since it had extra content and the PC players were being screwed over. That isn't an opinion, that is fact.

I am fully aware of the existence of each major update to Terraria, having been a player of said game since June 2011. What you fail to grasp, however, is the important distinction between completion of and addition to a game. At no point in the initial design roadmap of Terraria was anything regarding 1.2 or 1.3 considered or mentioned - much less publicly stated as being a part of the "Base 1.0 game". Terraria 1.0 was a complete game - even moreso if you draw the line at 1.1, when everyone thought things were "done" at the time of console launch. You are treating this like its some kind of EA or kickstarter - and I'm afraid that falls on your interpretation rather than any factual basis.

Again, I repeat my hypothetical query: by that same logic, had we sold 1.2 and 1.3 as DLC expansions rather than updates then they would not be considered part of the "base game" (by your logic) - so, because we did not charge for what most companies would have considered DLC-level content that makes us - and by extension, 505 Games - bad and evil?

I'm not really debating your opinion here - nor even really stating mine ;) . I'm just laying out the factual history for you and the rest is for you to take as you wish. As we have reached the point of circular debate, I will just leave it there. :)

@505Games , @505Games-Mobile , @Loki
Does anyone know if the update is available on Windows 10 Mobile? I was able to get it on my lumia 1520 with Windows 8 mobile but with my lumia 640 (1 GB RAM) with Windows Mobile 10, it does not show up in the store. I will be upgrading to Windows 10 on my 1520 and it would be nice if the game was available in the windows 10 store.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom