Official Console and Mobile updates ETA

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny to see how long we have to wait on console for updates. Does 1.3.0 will be ever released or do we have to wait until PC has 1.9.0 or something like that. It's also nice to see when 1.2.4 is released on pc....2014.....But hey, i just had to pay more for the game on console then on pc and it feels like to be a 2nd class customer for you.
You have no idea how difficult it is for them. The PC version and the Console (and Mobile) version aren't even written in the same language, so there's a lot of work involved to add new stuff. They can't just bolt on a GUI and recompile.

Terraria PC is written in C# using the XNA framework. Unfortunately neither C# nor XNA is very portable (only Xbox 360 is supported) so when 505/Engine decided to port it to the consoles back in 2012, they had to completely rewrite it in C++ instead. This was for Terraria 1.1.

Meanwhile ReLogic kept working adding new features. So 505 is trying to catch up, but it's very difficult to identify the relevant code changes and reimplement them in the C++ code base. It's not surprising there's bugs (in fact I'm surprised there aren't more than it is).

Also some things can't be ported as the consoles simply don't have enough memory (PS3/Vita/X360 only has 512MB). I very much doubt we will see 1.3 on the older consoles for that reason. The crash bug that plagued Vita users was due to insufficient memory.

Since we are getting the wearable accessory mechanic in the next update I was wondering if it is optional to wear them or not because I like the accessories the way they are now lol.

Since we are getting the wearable accessory mechanic in the next update I was wondering if it is optional to wear them or not because I like the accessories the way they are now lol.
You can on mobile I think so I expect you will on console. If they add the vanity slots then you won't be able to hide anything you put in there (extra inventory!).

I think that if they do 1.3 it should include the full update of 1.3 and previous updates all in full
I find that unlikely. 1.3 was massive, last time they ported something that big all at once it almost destroyed the console community (looking at you 1.2).

Yeah lol 1.2 was crazy, I wouldn't mind receiving 1.3 in segments because at least we'll have functional content and that's what counts.

I agree with getting it in segments. Moon Lord beware for onslaught when he finally gets ported. But the number one thing I am currently looking forward to, is nameable chests.

I believe that segments will be the easiest, for both the consoles, and our awesome devs.

in order to get social slots they have to revamp the UI. im guessing we wont get social slots will we?

I certainly hope so. Carrying around accessories for fishing and other tasks can really reduce inventory space. It would be great to have social slots to toss any extra accessories into for easy switching. Also, PC players have a 40 slot inventory, 50 if you include the top bar and this doesn't include the coin/ammo slots; I'd love it if we got that as well.

I'm not saying we should get those things, but it would be an awesome quality of life improvement.

Hello, my son is adamant that a new release happened for Terraria in the past days. Is this true? Sorry to be so clueless but I do not play but I was trying to help him out with updating his Terraria. It appears one is due to be release in Q1 of 2016, but maybe that already happened? He said something about fishing poles.

Hello, my son is adamant that a new release happened for Terraria in the past days. Is this true? Sorry to be so clueless but I do not play but I was trying to help him out with updating his Terraria. It appears one is due to be release in Q1 of 2016, but maybe that already happened? He said something about fishing poles.
okay, so here's what's going on. part of the update is already here. it has the fishing poles and stuff like that. but the rest of the content that is scheduled for Q1 2016 is supposed to be coming and hasn't yet. it is supposed to be here by the end of this month.

Back in December many things were added you can find the changelog here. The content that's supposed to come by the end of March is listed in the spoiler at the bottom of the first post in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom