Console Console Update Timing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day, Terrarians!

It’s been a while since we last spoke about the progress surrounding the console versions of Terraria, and with Q1 drawing to a close, now is as good a time as any. As so many of you have rightly made note of over the past few weeks, we had originally targeted an update solely focused on adding the missing 1.2.4.1 items with an estimated timing of Q1. Well, in short, it’s taken a bit longer than we expected. This is primarily because we expanded the scope of what was being worked on. Let us share a bit more about that below.

First of all, we wanted to take some time to address some of the long-standing stability issues across all the versions: tweaks to the network game to promote a more robust experience, annoying bugs squashed, optimizations made, and so on. We know this doesn't always look as exciting in a list as compared to "new content", but we are confident that everyone will feel the benefits of this work. Why now? Well, we had to pick a good time to do this, and it made the most sense to make those fixes now rather than submitting the missing content and then stepping back to work on these fixes. Though it did admittedly delay the missing content, it will get the fixes in your hands a good deal sooner than if we had broken those out separately. We felt that was the overall best approach.

Second of all, of course, is the new and missing content. The Stylist is coming to town, so you can look forward to changing your appearance. Speaking of appearance: visible accessories are included, along with new vanity and dye slots. The experience of buying items is also streamlined. We’re also hard at working cramming in all the missing 1.2.4.1 items. There’s hundreds of things so we won't list them all, but here’s a selection:

Wommanquin; Shroomite Digging Claw; Venom Staff; Julia Butterly Jar; Super Mana Potion; Celestial Emblem; Celestial Cuffs; Mining Potion; Builder Potion; Bee Armour; Hornet Staff; Spider Armour and Staff; Optic Staff; Pressure Track; Slime Hook; Sticky Grenade... the list goes on. We’ve also got a load of furniture and new block types.

(We posted a more full list a while back - you can check this post to learn more)

Of course, with all of that said, you guys want to know when you can get your hands on this stuff! Our development work is scheduled to run to the end of April. Assuming everything looks good at that point, we will submit to Sony/Microsoft, and the update will appear a couple of weeks later after we’ve passed platform holder certification. We fully understand that the delay won't make for happy news for a lot of people, but this stability work needs to be done sometime - and, again, we would rather take that extra time to do it now than to send you content now and then have to wait even longer for those fixes. We certainly hope you can all understand and appreciate the logic behind that decision.

Other quick news items:

3DS Update: will likely hit at a similar time frame as the console timing above. We have not shared what all we are including for this one - but the plan is for this to cover fixes to the most pressing issues as well as bringing the first post-launch new content to the 3DS version of Terraria! We will share more details at a later date.

Wii U Terraria: This has taken longer than anticipated, however, we are on the brink of submission to Nintendo and this is expected to be available digitally at the end of May.
Thats fine with me but maybe every 3 weeks give us a heads up on the progress. I understand its hard work and delays happen but maybe give us a date (example every 20th of the month) so we know when to come back and check in to see the progress your making. Nothing to in depth just a quick heads up. It would be most appreciated and again the delay is fine i not very knowledgeable when it comes to coding but im sure theres a lot to test and fix so keep up the good work and drop us a line sometime later in april and let us know how its coming. Soon i will be the most POWERFUL SUMMONER ON PS3 THATS EVER LIVED AHHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Thank you for the news. On the bright side of things, at least now I have more time to get ready for/plan my console summoner-only run. :)

finally a new about the 1.2.4.1 console update! I am waiting a long for some new about the update and I know everybody are exited for the update!:happy::dryadhappy::merchanthappy::nursehappy:~:happy:`:happy:

Good day, Terrarians!

It’s been a while since we last spoke about the progress surrounding the console versions of Terraria, and with Q1 drawing to a close, now is as good a time as any. As so many of you have rightly made note of over the past few weeks, we had originally targeted an update solely focused on adding the missing 1.2.4.1 items with an estimated timing of Q1. Well, in short, it’s taken a bit longer than we expected. This is primarily because we expanded the scope of what was being worked on. Let us share a bit more about that below.

First of all, we wanted to take some time to address some of the long-standing stability issues across all the versions: tweaks to the network game to promote a more robust experience, annoying bugs squashed, optimizations made, and so on. We know this doesn't always look as exciting in a list as compared to "new content", but we are confident that everyone will feel the benefits of this work. Why now? Well, we had to pick a good time to do this, and it made the most sense to make those fixes now rather than submitting the missing content and then stepping back to work on these fixes. Though it did admittedly delay the missing content, it will get the fixes in your hands a good deal sooner than if we had broken those out separately. We felt that was the overall best approach.

Second of all, of course, is the new and missing content. The Stylist is coming to town, so you can look forward to changing your appearance. Speaking of appearance: visible accessories are included, along with new vanity and dye slots. The experience of buying items is also streamlined. We’re also hard at working cramming in all the missing 1.2.4.1 items. There’s hundreds of things so we won't list them all, but here’s a selection:

Wommanquin; Shroomite Digging Claw; Venom Staff; Julia Butterly Jar; Super Mana Potion; Celestial Emblem; Celestial Cuffs; Mining Potion; Builder Potion; Bee Armour; Hornet Staff; Spider Armour and Staff; Optic Staff; Pressure Track; Slime Hook; Sticky Grenade... the list goes on. We’ve also got a load of furniture and new block types.

(We posted a more full list a while back - you can check this post to learn more)

Of course, with all of that said, you guys want to know when you can get your hands on this stuff! Our development work is scheduled to run to the end of April. Assuming everything looks good at that point, we will submit to Sony/Microsoft, and the update will appear a couple of weeks later after we’ve passed platform holder certification. We fully understand that the delay won't make for happy news for a lot of people, but this stability work needs to be done sometime - and, again, we would rather take that extra time to do it now than to send you content now and then have to wait even longer for those fixes. We certainly hope you can all understand and appreciate the logic behind that decision.

Other quick news items:

3DS Update: will likely hit at a similar time frame as the console timing above. We have not shared what all we are including for this one - but the plan is for this to cover fixes to the most pressing issues as well as bringing the first post-launch new content to the 3DS version of Terraria! We will share more details at a later date.

Wii U Terraria: This has taken longer than anticipated, however, we are on the brink of submission to Nintendo and this is expected to be available digitally at the end of May.
Good Job 505 games you just made a happy customer a very unhappy customer and probably tons more too you had a very simple job releasing a small update to console and its taking months and still going + why no realease 1.3 instead but anyway that will take 2 + years to do i was really excited this month even though 1.2.4 update is pointless i was still happy to finally get an update and my waiting and waiting got me thinkin its probably not happening so i checked the wiki another let down whats next (Mike Leon) : im am very sorry but 1.2.4 its no going be released till 2020 stay tuned 4 updates. im really angry with you 505 games you better make it right
[doublepost=1459484969,1459484906][/doublepost]Sorry if this was harsh but still its not good enough it shouldn't take this damn long for an update thats small than a mouse seriously

lol... thanks for the update :) I was secretly hoping we would have everything the PC had by this summer... and the ability to play with anyone on any platform by then... but then again, I like to spend a lot of time in dreamland...

Looking forward to the new PS4 content whenever it comes out... cheers!

regular news updates would be nice. That's what everybody complains about. If you look out for the PC version on twitter Cenxx and her buddies update us on new working features and concepts. It wouldn't hurt to tell us what you're having problems with as we already know what's in the game from playing the PC Version and anyone who doesn't wouldn't care as long as there's something new involved. Waiting til the last day of the previously said release estimate to tell of a delay only causes frustration. Give us screenshots of things that went wrong in the process. Give us an idea of what the problems are with visuals, news updates. Once we see what's wrong we'll be like "Oh ok. Fix that slime". As far as the PS Vita version goes I hope the crash bug is fixed at some point and we can enjoy a stable game without fear of crashing.

The vita definitely needs to be fixed, but the PS3 version has been crashing for awhile now as well. I'm usually on PC, but I've recently been back on PS3 a lot working on a few projects and I've crashed no less than 6 times in my sessions the past couple days. 2 of those times were immediately as I tried to save. I guess I'm lucky my save never corrupted (although I back up like a madman). There's definitely more crashing than ever on PS3 since the Xmas update.

personally, srry for saying this, I am dissapointed, this happens like every update, a brand new big update on PC takes, like, far less times to actually reach it, than it takes for a update pre-existing on PC to reach any other platform, the people had to spend time trying to think up, code and design new items for the new update which can take a long time on it's own while all that has to be done for other platforms, is just pretty much a copy paste situation, the items are already thought up for you, designs are done, now all you need to do is code it in, but it takes, like, a whole year for a single update, that isn't too big, when there is pretty good games designed by singular people that take less time, they hav to come with their own design style, coding, everything...... that, and when a update reachs other platforms, it usually a buggy mess, or is missing things, or both, I dread to know what a colossal disaster 1.3 might be when released on other platforms, let alone how long it will take, I'll now take thine leave.

I like the fact that Terraria on 3DS is pretty much the only 3DS game that is getting expanded after launch. (TBOI:R won't get Afterbirth due to preformance issues.)

personally, srry for saying this, I am dissapointed, this happens like every update, a brand new big update on PC takes, like, far less times to actually reach it, than it takes for a update pre-existing on PC to reach any other platform, the people had to spend time trying to think up, code and design new items for the new update which can take a long time on it's own while all that has to be done for other platforms, is just pretty much a copy paste situation, the items are already thought up for you, designs are done, now all you need to do is code it in, but it takes, like, a whole year for a single update, that isn't too big, when there is pretty good games designed by singular people that take less time, they hav to come with their own design style, coding, everything...... that, and when a update reachs other platforms, it usually a buggy mess, or is missing things, or both, I dread to know what a colossal disaster 1.3 might be when released on other platforms, let alone how long it will take, I'll now take thine leave.
505 Games has about 60 games to maintain (according to their iOS App Store page, I didn't check the Play Store). Terraria is only one of them.

I like the fact that Terraria on 3DS is pretty much the only 3DS game that is getting expanded after launch. (TBOI:R won't get Afterbirth due to preformance issues.)

Never heard of Fire Emblem or Shin Megami Tensei IV?

Nope, calling shenanigans. This has become a rather unfortunate SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) from 505 Games. "We wanted to do our jobs, but it's to hard." As a programmer myself if I tried half of the excuses you guys have used over the last couple years I would of been out of a job. You promise (and yes, saying something will be done is a promise in the business world) updates on a specific time frame, and then inevitably delay. You tell us we'll get all the content of a specific version only to leave things out and or missing. You leave obvious broken game mechanics in limbo with the only response in most cases being that you'll fix it in the next update which will come out whenever we d@mn well feel like it. You left the PsVita version of the game broken by constant crashing for a year (which still crashes I might add), without so much as an acknowledgement that it was a huge issue. You've done your best at stringing Terraria's console fanbase on with the "We're sorry" c&@p since before the huge world destroying debacle that was the 1.2 update. You have literally taken the console version of one of the PC's most beloved games of the past half decade (Based upon Steam sales figures constantly raking amazingly) and made it an update nightmare/laughing stock. I'm past i'm sorry's at this point, I want to see heads roll! If I was Re-logic I would of chucked your publishing rights contract into the garbage, sued you on the basis of making a mockery out of an established franchise, and never looked back. May whatever diety's you pray to have mercy on your souls for taking something as inherently holy as the Terraria name and dragging it through the mud.
They are trying to fit the code into another system and make it work, requiring different code for the buttons to work and different bugs to arise. You may write code, but they have to make tweaks, then see if it works. How about you respect the amount of effort they make for working in seven, no, eight, no, sorry, NINE DIFFERENT DAMN PLATFORMS before you start complaining that they are doing Jack crap. If I was Relogic, I would try to further expand both companies to allow for 343 to have a larger work force all around.
Good Job 505 games you just made a happy customer a very unhappy customer and probably tons more too you had a very simple job releasing a small update to console and its taking months and still going + why no realease 1.3 instead but anyway that will take 2 + years to do i was really excited this month even though 1.2.4 update is pointless i was still happy to finally get an update and my waiting and waiting got me thinkin its probably not happening so i checked the wiki another let down whats next (Mike Leon) : im am very sorry but 1.2.4 its no going be released till 2020 stay tuned 4 updates. im really angry with you 505 games you better make it right
[doublepost=1459484969,1459484906][/doublepost]Sorry if this was harsh but still its not good enough it shouldn't take this damn long for an update thats small than a mouse seriously
What about bug fixes of other updates? Remember when everyone's main world was getting corrupted for no reason? At two different occasions? They want to make sure that never happens again, so they make sure every piece of code works, and that no serious bugs come forth from this update or any prior update.
regular news updates would be nice. That's what everybody complains about. If you look out for the PC version on twitter Cenxx and her buddies update us on new working features and concepts. It wouldn't hurt to tell us what you're having problems with as we already know what's in the game from playing the PC Version and anyone who doesn't wouldn't care as long as there's something new involved. Waiting til the last day of the previously said release estimate to tell of a delay only causes frustration. Give us screenshots of things that went wrong in the process. Give us an idea of what the problems are with visuals, news updates. Once we see what's wrong we'll be like "Oh ok. Fix that slime". As far as the PS Vita version goes I hope the crash bug is fixed at some point and we can enjoy a stable game without fear of crashing.
I completely agree with the fact that 505 should give updates on bug fixes, as it is slightly tiring to sit in the dark for long periods of time. Although I'm not complaining with the experience that playing blind gives...
They can't copy paste, that's the thing. They have to modify the code to allow you to be able to get everything to work on a platform that has many times less storage and has different controls. You go ahead and try it, I guarantee you will be complaining about how it isn't copy/paste. Now do that eight more times.

A few thoughts on the points raised - at least as I see them:

• Update Speed: We would like to see it faster as well...though we would like to see it stable and clean first and foremost. Of course, that is always the balance in such a situation, right? If 505/Engine have a pile of bugs that have been stacking up over time, when is the best time to address them? I think the notion of picking an update that is smaller content-wise to address that is actually pretty wise inasmuch as they are not adding a ton more variables at the same time. That said, it would indeed be great to see things tightened up a bit.
  • Console Port Challenges: A lot of the comments raised are quite true. Terraria was never built from the ground-up to be played on/ported to anything beyond PC. So, whereas the ideas/stats/sprites may be there for sure, the implementation of them across several hardware systems is a good bit more complex than just copy-paste...and then you have the whole way updates work on consoles vs PC and even mobile. Again, we would love to see things faster and cleaner as well - but it isn't as simple as some have hypothesized.
  • Missing Dates: This happens in game development. It is pretty much a given. This update - and updates on Terraria in general - are FAR from the only "Delayed launch" in gaming. Software is a tricky beast that way - especially one that has been built upon...layer by layer...for several years now. This is why Re-Logic tries to avoid dates on our side for updates and the like - because its so unpredictable and then people will get salty either way ("Why won't you give us a date?" vs "You said it would be X and now it is Y, liars!").
  • Communication: This bit, I think we can all agree on. Going to work with @Safeman to see if we can share monthly status updates on console (and mobile, but in all honesty, mobile can move at a faster pace due to how updates work and seem to have a fairly steady stream of news going). Even if there isn't much to share, we will get you guys something. Probably long overdue, but better late than never.

So yeah....some valid points being made here - and some over-simplified hyperbole - so on Re-Logic's end, we will see what can be done to address the legit points and hope people come to understand the reality of the rest. Trust me, we are watching all sides of the franchise and making our concerns - and things we are happy with - known.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom