Console Console Update Timing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like we both got the game around the same time and the same way then. :)
Although while I am kind of annoyed at the delay, I understand why it happend and I haven`t lost faith in 505 Games.
I too got it on 360 but i did pay fifteen pounds to get it on xbox one. I find it difficult to understand why they can't keep their promises. Next time update news comes 505 shouldn't specify a release date or when it goes past XYZ amount of days/weeks/months people like me will rage.:sigh:

Nope, calling shenanigans. This has become a rather unfortunate SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) from 505 Games. "We wanted to do our jobs, but it's to hard." As a programmer myself if I tried half of the excuses you guys have used over the last couple years I would of been out of a job. You promise (and yes, saying something will be done is a promise in the business world) updates on a specific time frame, and then inevitably delay. You tell us we'll get all the content of a specific version only to leave things out and or missing. You leave obvious broken game mechanics in limbo with the only response in most cases being that you'll fix it in the next update which will come out whenever we d@mn well feel like it. You left the PsVita version of the game broken by constant crashing for a year (which still crashes I might add), without so much as an acknowledgement that it was a huge issue. You've done your best at stringing Terraria's console fanbase on with the "We're sorry" c&@p since before the huge world destroying debacle that was the 1.2 update. You have literally taken the console version of one of the PC's most beloved games of the past half decade (Based upon Steam sales figures constantly raking amazingly) and made it an update nightmare/laughing stock. I'm past i'm sorry's at this point, I want to see heads roll! If I was Re-logic I would of chucked your publishing rights contract into the garbage, sued you on the basis of making a mockery out of an established franchise, and never looked back. May whatever diety's you pray to have mercy on your souls for taking something as inherently holy as the Terraria name and dragging it through the mud.
Here, let me back this up a bit more with some handy comparisons.

1.2.4.1 released something like two years ago. TWO. And it's still incomplete on console. Now, let me make a comparison that's going to piss off a lot of people, but hear me out because I have good reason for it.

Minecraft. Yes. I hear your groans. Again, hear me out.

When the original Console Edition of Minecraft released, it was only updated to Beta 1.6 (when, iirc, the current version at the time was Release 1.0, I think). Like Terraria's Console Edition, they started out behind. And that was largely because they rewrote the game in C++ because Java sucks and wouldn't work well on consoles. When updating the Minecraft console versions, they are literally writing entirely new code based on the original code. They're caught up. Or, well, prior to 1.9, they were.

You guys, however, are not doing that, and you AREN'T caught up. Terraria is not written in Java, it's written in C#, with XNA, which is specifically designed for use for making games that can easily be ported to Xbox. You don't need to change language, you probably aren't writing entirely new code for every thing you port over, the most you've probably had to write is replacements for XNA functions for non-Microsoft consoles, plus a few extra Console-exclusive bits and a few mechanical bits. Everything else you should be able to just port over with some code adjustments. Which should not take NEARLY this long. You are TWO YEARS BEHIND. That is completely unacceptable and completely disgraceful to the name of Terraria. SERIOUSLY.

At the bare minimum, you people are lazy. At the max, you're either completely incompetent, or you're just trying to take advantage of people because MONEY. And either way you should be god damn ashamed.

Thanks 505 games i lost even more faith in you. i waited and waited and now even more delays. maybe ill just tell my friends to buy a different game :(

WARNING! I have been;
[Triggered!]

As such, this reply contains large amounts of brutal honesty.

I lost faith in 505 a long time ago if I'm honest. Look at the poor job they did on porting Sniper Elite 3. And PayDay 2 for the XBone. And don't get me started on how God-awful Naughty Bear turned out, or how terrible the games are that 505 have developed by themselves (looking at you, World Championship Spelling. Who thought having to spell words that are perfectly displayed onscreen was a hard idea?)

And I've seen the "it's hard to port to 5 consoles" excuse, and to you I say: Street Fighter 2; from an arcade to the SNES, Mega Drive, Master System, Atari ST, Amiga, Commador 64, ZX Spectrum, GameBoy, Sega Saturn, PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, Xbox, Xbox 360, the Nintendo Wii, PC & even on the iPhone too. That's 18 ports. By the same developer. And it worked fine. Because they didn't botch up development with ridiculous alterations before a set release date. For the majority of these ports complete technical reconstruction on the games coding was needed too. RE4 & Rayman 2 are some more well-ported titles across many devices.

And before anyone tries to counter-argue this, while the first iterations of SF2, RE4 & R2 were made by large studies, the porting of these games were handled by a team of which is smaller than 505's current employee count (<~150)

Rant over. I need to go vent my anger by grinding The Destroyer with the spider staff wait a minute...
[Triggered!]

WARNING! I have been;
[Triggered!]

As such, this reply contains large amounts of brutal honesty.

I lost faith in 505 a long time ago if I'm honest. Look at the poor job they did on porting Sniper Elite 3. And PayDay 2 for the XBone. And don't get me started on how God-awful Naughty Bear turned out, or how terrible the games are that 505 have developed by themselves (looking at you, World Championship Spelling. Who thought having to spell words that are perfectly displayed onscreen was a hard idea?)

And I've seen the "it's hard to port to 5 consoles" excuse, and to you I say: Street Fighter 2; from an arcade to the SNES, Mega Drive, Master System, Atari ST, Amiga, Commador 64, ZX Spectrum, GameBoy, Sega Saturn, PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP, Xbox, Xbox 360, the Nintendo Wii, PC & even on the iPhone too. That's 18 ports. By the same developer. And it worked fine. Because they didn't botch up development with ridiculous alterations before a set release date. For the majority of these ports complete technical reconstruction on the games coding was needed too. RE4 & Rayman 2 are some more well-ported titles across many devices.

And before anyone tries to counter-argue this, while the first iterations of SF2, RE4 & R2 were made by large studies, the porting of these games were handled by a team of which is smaller than 505's current employee count (<~150)

Rant over. I need to go vent my anger by grinding The Destroyer with the spider staff wait a minute...
[Triggered!]
From a purely logistical standpoint comparing Street Fighter II to Terraria in terms of content and size is like comparing a child's macaroni picture to the Mona Lisa. At its beefiest Street Fighter II Turbo was 20 megabits while Terraria is 16 Megabytes making it about 8 times larger than Street Fighter II Turbo. You are well within your rights to be angry, but making comparisons that have no basis in reality will not help you get your point across.

From a purely logistical standpoint comparing Street Fighter II to Terraria in terms of content and size is like comparing a child's macaroni picture to the Mona Lisa. At its beefiest Street Fighter II Turbo was 20 megabits while Terraria is 16 Megabytes making it about 8 times larger than Street Fighter II Turbo. You are well within your rights to be angry, but making comparisons that have no basis in reality will not help you get your point across.
And I'm going to invalidate your argument by pointing out that there's a lot of consoles in that list with radically different architecture, which of course means radical changes to the game's code in order to make the game work properly, particularly on the older consoles because those all had their own distinct video card and processor and whatnot APIs and interactions, thus making them behave a lot differently; modern generations primarily depend on OpenGL for video (making porting a non-issue in that department except when features are missing), and have similar architectures on their processors.

Also, I'll further point out Doom, which has had more than 50 different ports over the past 20 years; and granted, they were largely done by separate teams, but as I recall, the 3DO version was done by one person over the course of a month. And its size is roughly comparable to Street Fighter II Turbo. Also, speaking of which, your math is WAY off on the comparison from Street Fighter to Terraria in terms of filesize; Terraria's only about 6x the size, not 8.

Plus, the Minecraft comparison I made still stands.

Just putting this out there . . .

No one is entitled to any updates on Terraria beyond the base game at the time you purchased. There is no contractual obligation to provide updates for the game, and as of Terraria 1.1 (Console's release version), Terraria has been a reasonably complete game. Everything after that is gravy. Free gravy.

I see the complaining and the griping and the "you should be ashamed"'s, and its all absurd. Relogic has no obligation to provide these updates, either to PC or to the ports. And yet they are coming, free of charge, but they will take the time they need. Even so, the resounding opinion is "YOU SUCK YOU SUCK, FASTER FASTER!" and so they bring out their release, and when its buggy, its "YOU SUCK YOU SUCK, FIX THE BUGS". So when they delay to fix the bugs, its back to "FASTER" again. Meanwhile, Relogic, 505 Games, and Engine are pouring thousands of hours of man hours into this thankless task that is not directly bringing any funds to them beyond the hope of drawing more customers.

As for the absolutely laughable Minecraft comparisons, I'll point out that Minecraft's update history over the past 3 or so years has included a handful of enemies, a few dozen blocks and items, and a few new mechanics, plus a biome or two. Yeah, that's going to be a LOT easier to port update than hundreds of enemies and thousands of items.

That is completely unacceptable and completely disgraceful to the name of Terraria. SERIOUSLY.

At the bare minimum, you people are lazy. At the max, you're either completely incompetent, or you're just trying to take advantage of people because MONEY. And either way you should be god damn ashamed.

All I have to say about this is that if all you are going to do is aim insults directly at the devs, then posting like this isn't going to be allowed. The developers and Relogic, like everyone on this forum, should be free from personal attack on this site. Drop the attitude, now.

No one is entitled to any updates on Terraria beyond the base game at the time you purchased. There is no contractual obligation to provide updates for the game, and as of Terraria 1.1 (Console's release version), Terraria has been a reasonably complete game. Everything after that is gravy. Free gravy.

I see the complaining and the griping and the "you should be ashamed"'s, and its all absurd. Relogic has no obligation to provide these updates, either to PC or to the ports. And yet they are coming, free of charge, but they will take the time they need. Even so, the resounding opinion is "YOU SUCK YOU SUCK, FASTER FASTER!" and so they bring out their release, and when its buggy, its "YOU SUCK YOU SUCK, FIX THE BUGS". So when they delay to fix the bugs, its back to "FASTER" again. Meanwhile, Relogic, 505 Games, and Engine are pouring thousands of hours of man hours into this thankless task that is not directly bringing any funds to them beyond the hope of drawing more customers.

As for the absolutely laughable Minecraft comparisons, I'll point out that Minecraft's update history over the past 3 or so years has included a handful of enemies, a few dozen blocks and items, and a few new mechanics, plus a biome or two. Yeah, that's going to be a LOT easier to port update than hundreds of enemies and thousands of items.

All I have to say about this is that if all you are going to do is aim insults directly at the devs, then posting like this isn't going to be allowed. The developers and Relogic, like everyone on this forum, should be free from personal attack on this site. Drop the attitude, now.
That may all be true, but the issue here is they've made repeated promises on this subject and have, on several occasions, failed to deliver upon them. Maybe I went a bit overboard, but the issue still exists regardless of my... less than stellar wording.

As for the Minecraft subject matter, Minecraft has had far more engine changes than Terraria has in that time period (port release version -> port current version), including but not limited to save system changes (IE MCRegion to Anvil), rendering engine overhauls, a number of other gameplay changes, a whole slew of biomes, and, yes, only a few new blocks, mobs, and items by comparison. However, again- these all had to be re-written into a different language. While Java is similar to C++ in structure (kind of), they are not the same and not close enough that you can just use a conversion utility to convert from one language to the other. Ultimately Minecraft has far more complex changes each time it updates, compared to Terraria, AND the internal system itself is far more complex, AND they have to rewrite ALL OF IT into a different language.

Not trying to further my argument at this point, just stating the facts.

That may all be true, but the issue here is they've made repeated promises on this subject and have, on several occasions, failed to deliver upon them. Maybe I went a bit overboard, but the issue still exists regardless of my... less than stellar wording.

As for the Minecraft subject matter, Minecraft has had far more engine changes than Terraria has in that time period (port release version -> port current version), including but not limited to save system changes (IE MCRegion to Anvil), rendering engine overhauls, a number of other gameplay changes, a whole slew of biomes, and, yes, only a few new blocks, mobs, and items by comparison. However, again- these all had to be re-written into a different language. While Java is similar to C++ in structure (kind of), they are not the same and not close enough that you can just use a conversion utility to convert from one language to the other. Ultimately Minecraft has far more complex changes each time it updates, compared to Terraria, AND the internal system itself is far more complex, AND they have to rewrite ALL OF IT into a different language.

Not trying to further my argument at this point, just stating the facts.
This lad has a point with the Minecraft comparison. I believe it was the 1.7 update for the PC version in which almost all internal coding was changed (I know because it broke the only mod I ever made, sad times)

Despite that 4j studios ported the updates to consoles without a hitch. You know what else they did? They didn't specify a release date. They just said that they are working on the updates, and they will release it when it's ready. If 505 didn't get people excited by specifying a release date then people wouldn't be naffed off if the update comes later. It would also mean that 505 wouldn't have to push a half-baked update out in time for a specified date

As for Relogic, they haven't done anything wrong. Love them, because if they put a release window, they stick to that window, and they make sure it works. They the best kind of gravy, baby (gravy confirmed as new liquid in 1.3.1?)

I think we keep forgetting Relogic mainly deals with the PC version. 505 is the publisher and Engine software is the developer porting any or all content over. I believe it's been said by Mr.Rudi himself that with each new update new bugs appear that weren't there before. Terraria is massive in content and all of it plays a role in bugs vs purity in code. imagine having a dog ok? your dog craps on the ground..you pick up the crap only to find the dog crapped out 3 more piles elsewhere. transferring or porting the same mechanics and content over while maintaining a bug free environment is almost impossible at this point. With every item added there may be a new bug.

That being said all I ask for is communication. Spoilers to upcoming new content. Show us what you're having issues with. Let's say fishing had a velocity issue when casting your line and the line keeps traveling upward instead of having gravity to it..screenshot it and show us. Some of us might be interested to see the process at hand. We all love Terraria and we understand bugs will happen. It's more of being left in the dark. I'm saying this to 505 directly. Let Engine speak about it. This could calm down the masses here instead of making yourselves look bad when we know you're not.

While I can't say I'm not disappointed, I can say that I understand the situation. Like @Leinfors said, they never had to update this game beyond the base game. The fact they ARE giving us the updates FOR FREE and that are trying to fix as many of the bugs as possible beforehand (as having to do it afterwards only pushes back the development of future updates further) still speaks to me as a loyal fan. Would a better form of communication be nice? Of course!

It is also rather unfair to keep comparing the ports and development of Minecraft to Terraria.

While yes, Mincraft was ported to various platforms and updated faster. It's developer (4JStudios) had only that game to handle at the time (still the only game if I'm not mistaken)

Terraria is not the only game Engine is currently working on, nor is it the only game 505 publishes.

I wonder, does (Microsoft at least) still charge publishers/developers a bunch of money for updates? I know they used to, that's why back in the day the only games that got updates and bug fixes were Triple-A titles because the Devs could afford them. IIRC they've since altered it, due to games like Minecraft and Terraria. I'm just curious if they still charge a fee of some sort for updates to games...

If so, just another thing to think about when whining about the update that comes at no charge to you...

I understand where you are coming from with the "free" updates, but that's now become a fairly slippery slope. What the purchasers of Terraria console are entitled to is a game that is playable, as bug free as possible, and provides them ultimately with the game they purchased. What began as a gift with the greatest of intentions has directly affected the outcome of many purchasers of said product. I know that for instance when I first purchased the PsVita version of the game it played fine. Flash forward and a free update is given that completely broke the game. It became, and is still for many, a crash fest that destroyed the game for many purchasers. So should I still be thankful for that new free content? The 1.2 update for Ps3/Xbox360 destroyed many player created worlds, some of which had hundreds of hours of dedication into them. Should we all of been singing 505 games praises for that free update debacle? Free updates containing new content can be an amazing thing. However, there has not been one single new content update on console that didn't break something else along the way. If I buy a new car, bring it to the dealership for routine maintenance, they give me some free window tinting and an air freshener, but when I drive it away all four tires fall off because their impact wrenches were not calibrated properly, does that mean I don't have a right to be upset because of some free items that they chose to give to me? All i'm trying to say is that sometimes the road to hell is paved with what started out good intentions. I have appreciated all content updates created for Terraria. You have to acknowledge though that every single time now that we've been gifted with new content we've also been handed a buggy mess that in some cases has still not been repaired. I love Terraria. I have nothing but the greatest respect for Re-logic. I'll pass on all new updates though if it means that I don't have to keep saying to myself "Well, they broke that mechanic/biome/item/event/world/version. I wonder how many month's it'll be before they fix that, or even if they ever will."

Good day, Terrarians!

It’s been a while since we last spoke about the progress surrounding the console versions of Terraria, and with Q1 drawing to a close, now is as good a time as any. As so many of you have rightly made note of over the past few weeks, we had originally targeted an update solely focused on adding the missing 1.2.4.1 items with an estimated timing of Q1. Well, in short, it’s taken a bit longer than we expected. This is primarily because we expanded the scope of what was being worked on. Let us share a bit more about that below.

First of all, we wanted to take some time to address some of the long-standing stability issues across all the versions: tweaks to the network game to promote a more robust experience, annoying bugs squashed, optimizations made, and so on. We know this doesn't always look as exciting in a list as compared to "new content", but we are confident that everyone will feel the benefits of this work. Why now? Well, we had to pick a good time to do this, and it made the most sense to make those fixes now rather than submitting the missing content and then stepping back to work on these fixes. Though it did admittedly delay the missing content, it will get the fixes in your hands a good deal sooner than if we had broken those out separately. We felt that was the overall best approach.

Second of all, of course, is the new and missing content. The Stylist is coming to town, so you can look forward to changing your appearance. Speaking of appearance: visible accessories are included, along with new vanity and dye slots. The experience of buying items is also streamlined. We’re also hard at working cramming in all the missing 1.2.4.1 items. There’s hundreds of things so we won't list them all, but here’s a selection:

Wommanquin; Shroomite Digging Claw; Venom Staff; Julia Butterly Jar; Super Mana Potion; Celestial Emblem; Celestial Cuffs; Mining Potion; Builder Potion; Bee Armour; Hornet Staff; Spider Armour and Staff; Optic Staff; Pressure Track; Slime Hook; Sticky Grenade... the list goes on. We’ve also got a load of furniture and new block types.

(We posted a more full list a while back - you can check this post to learn more)

Of course, with all of that said, you guys want to know when you can get your hands on this stuff! Our development work is scheduled to run to the end of April. Assuming everything looks good at that point, we will submit to Sony/Microsoft, and the update will appear a couple of weeks later after we’ve passed platform holder certification. We fully understand that the delay won't make for happy news for a lot of people, but this stability work needs to be done sometime - and, again, we would rather take that extra time to do it now than to send you content now and then have to wait even longer for those fixes. We certainly hope you can all understand and appreciate the logic behind that decision.

Other quick news items:

3DS Update: will likely hit at a similar time frame as the console timing above. We have not shared what all we are including for this one - but the plan is for this to cover fixes to the most pressing issues as well as bringing the first post-launch new content to the 3DS version of Terraria! We will share more details at a later date.

Wii U Terraria: This has taken longer than anticipated, however, we are on the brink of submission to Nintendo and this is expected to be available digitally at the end of May.
End of april... in 1.2.4 they left obvious major bugs but 1.2.4.1 is delayed because they want to fix bugs? How? They know how to do it? As far as i know they can perfectly excuse themselves.
[doublepost=1459592619,1459592238][/doublepost]
While I can't say I'm not disappointed, I can say that I understand the situation. Like @Leinfors said, they never had to update this game beyond the base game. The fact they ARE giving us the updates FOR FREE and that are trying to fix as many of the bugs as possible beforehand (as having to do it afterwards only pushes back the development of future updates further) still speaks to me as a loyal fan. Would a better form of communication be nice? Of course!

It is also rather unfair to keep comparing the ports and development of Minecraft to Terraria.

While yes, Mincraft was ported to various platforms and updated faster. It's developer (4JStudios) had only that game to handle at the time (still the only game if I'm not mistaken)

Terraria is not the only game Engine is currently working on, nor is it the only game 505 publishes.

I wonder, does (Microsoft at least) still charge publishers/developers a bunch of money for updates? I know they used to, that's why back in the day the only games that got updates and bug fixes were Triple-A titles because the Devs could afford them. IIRC they've since altered it, due to games like Minecraft and Terraria. I'm just curious if they still charge a fee of some sort for updates to games...

If so, just another thing to think about when whining about the update that comes at no charge to you...
Why 4j studios can deliver updates on time but 505 have neverending delays??? One man in 505 work on terraria?

End of april... in 1.2.4 they left obvious major bugs but 1.2.4.1 is delayed because they want to fix bugs? How? They know how to do it? As far as i know they can perfectly excuse themselves.
1.2.4.1 will also attempt to fix 1.2.4.0 bugs, which were at the time of release not known.
Why 4j studios can deliver updates on time but 505 have neverending delays??? One man in 505 work on terraria?

505 Games is a <100 man team working on many games besides Terraria. By no means do they or can they fix their full attention on Terraria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom