Console Console Update Timing

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might also just be a good time to pitch in 1.3 items, if you have to delay it longer for more items & additions, why not just combine the rest of the un-added items while putting in 1.3? sure it's more work & time for people to wait but in the long run you'll have less work in the future more time to fix anything and you won't have to constantly go back & fourth a hundred times adding items in that should have been added the first time around. In addition players from all platforms get a bigger better update all around, instead of "Oh sorry it took so long, but here's the rest of that one update we didn't add last time" in anycase thanks for finally getting us the rest of it.

1.3 was massive. It's not something you just tack on. Adding new content would likely lead to creating new bugs which all in all would only delay the update even further.

So here may be a simple solution for both sides. Terraria should have stopped at the original version, no updates. Everything else be DLC, or sold in a season pass. Then the dates could be more accurate, fans can't argue, developers and publishers get compensated.

Enough of all the drama, from both sides of the arguement

Updates as paid dlc in time? I like that idea :dryadnaughty:
The perfect solution. That way I can keep giving money to my favorite indie devs!
This won't ever happen. It is not how Re-Logic ever intended to create Terraria. Besides that, many updates alter game mechanics that aren't just an add on. Different versions are not compatible with each other and the online community would fall apart.

As far as I'm aware 505 games has not developed anything for Terraria. The coding for the Console ports is done by a company called Engine Software. 505 games publishes the game to the consoles. It doesn't matter than if 505 has 100 employees or 1000 it would not affect the speed of updates at all. The contention that most people have is not them giving Engine more time to complete the bug fixing/new item coding. We can all agree that the less bugs the better. The problem is that 505 has some of the most horrific public relations practices in the industry as far as Terraria is concerned. When it comes to their own developed ip's they spam social media like it's life giving. With Terraria though, month's and month's go by without so much as a hello.

As far as I'm aware 505 games has not developed anything for Terraria. The coding for the Console ports is done by a company called Engine Software. 505 games publishes the game to the consoles. It doesn't matter than if 505 has 100 employees or 1000 it would not affect the speed of updates at all. The contention that most people have is not them giving Engine more time to complete the bug fixing/new item coding. We can all agree that the less bugs the better. The problem is that 505 has some of the most horrific public relations practices in the industry as far as Terraria is concerned. When it comes to their own developed ip's they spam social media like it's life giving. With Terraria though, month's and month's go by without so much as a hello.
Maybe console version of terraria should be given to more responsible developer. I like sniper elite, brothers and how to survive but dont like way they treat terraria.

This won't ever happen. It is not how Re-Logic ever intended to create Terraria. Besides that, many updates alter game mechanics that aren't just an add on. Different versions are not compatible with each other and the online community would fall apart.
I was joking. (Not about the fact that I don't want to give more money to the Terraria devs, I do want to give them more money because I like the game :happy:). I already knew that this wouldn't be possible. Also I don't think that @RAGNAR was being too serious about that comment. I don't see things like season passes and paid DLC which requires other paid DLC to function really working out for games like Terraria.

Season passes are more meant for online multiplayer games anyway.

Updates as paid dlc in time? I like that idea :dryadnaughty:

No!! Just no! Paid DLC doesn't fit Re-Logic's philosophy. I despise the Season Pass idea, because it forces you to purchase any/all DLC before you even know what it's going to be. Imagine restaurants charging you for your meal before you're even seated and then serve you a plate of whatever they had the time to throw together. No thanks.

I really don't get the rage in this thread. There were a few annoying things that cropped up with the last update. Glass walls are bugged and look layered, fall damage is hilariously over-tuned, and several other things. I'm sorry, but we cannot expect update after update without bug fixes. At some point they have to squash bugs because if they don't, then what? We end up with 1.3 and a game that's unplayable? Is that what everyone wants?

The update was delayed a month and if it gets pushed back again, so what? It's a free update and we'll get it when we get it. As far as Terraria goes, we all have everything we were 'entitled' (how I hate that word) to with the initial purchase. Every update has been free and not needed - meaning Re-Logic could have left it at just the base game. But they chose not to, and also chose not to charge for the new content; new content that people worked hard on and could have easily nickle and dimed their customer base with. I for one thank them for this buisiness model mainly because I feel paid DLC is a plague to the gaming industry.

Terraria isn't the only game in existance. Play other games or do something else altogether. Let 505/Engine squash bugs and bring us new content when they feel it's ready to be launched. Personal attacks on Developers will not get us anything any faster and it makes the player-base appear childish.

My two cents.

Last edited:
Good day, Terrarians!

It’s been a while since we last spoke about the progress surrounding the console versions of Terraria, and with Q1 drawing to a close, now is as good a time as any. As so many of you have rightly made note of over the past few weeks, we had originally targeted an update solely focused on adding the missing 1.2.4.1 items with an estimated timing of Q1. Well, in short, it’s taken a bit longer than we expected. This is primarily because we expanded the scope of what was being worked on. Let us share a bit more about that below.

First of all, we wanted to take some time to address some of the long-standing stability issues across all the versions: tweaks to the network game to promote a more robust experience, annoying bugs squashed, optimizations made, and so on. We know this doesn't always look as exciting in a list as compared to "new content", but we are confident that everyone will feel the benefits of this work. Why now? Well, we had to pick a good time to do this, and it made the most sense to make those fixes now rather than submitting the missing content and then stepping back to work on these fixes. Though it did admittedly delay the missing content, it will get the fixes in your hands a good deal sooner than if we had broken those out separately. We felt that was the overall best approach.

Second of all, of course, is the new and missing content. The Stylist is coming to town, so you can look forward to changing your appearance. Speaking of appearance: visible accessories are included, along with new vanity and dye slots. The experience of buying items is also streamlined. We’re also hard at working cramming in all the missing 1.2.4.1 items. There’s hundreds of things so we won't list them all, but here’s a selection:

Wommanquin; Shroomite Digging Claw; Venom Staff; Julia Butterly Jar; Super Mana Potion; Celestial Emblem; Celestial Cuffs; Mining Potion; Builder Potion; Bee Armour; Hornet Staff; Spider Armour and Staff; Optic Staff; Pressure Track; Slime Hook; Sticky Grenade... the list goes on. We’ve also got a load of furniture and new block types.

(We posted a more full list a while back - you can check this post to learn more)

Of course, with all of that said, you guys want to know when you can get your hands on this stuff! Our development work is scheduled to run to the end of April. Assuming everything looks good at that point, we will submit to Sony/Microsoft, and the update will appear a couple of weeks later after we’ve passed platform holder certification. We fully understand that the delay won't make for happy news for a lot of people, but this stability work needs to be done sometime - and, again, we would rather take that extra time to do it now than to send you content now and then have to wait even longer for those fixes. We certainly hope you can all understand and appreciate the logic behind that decision.

Other quick news items:

3DS Update: will likely hit at a similar time frame as the console timing above. We have not shared what all we are including for this one - but the plan is for this to cover fixes to the most pressing issues as well as bringing the first post-launch new content to the 3DS version of Terraria! We will share more details at a later date.

Wii U Terraria: This has taken longer than anticipated, however, we are on the brink of submission to Nintendo and this is expected to be available digitally at the end of May.
Hey, I'm slightly confused. Does this bring the Console to 1.3? Also, I definitely already have the Shroomite Digging Claw and I'm on PS4.

Hey, I'm slightly confused. Does this bring the Console to 1.3? Also, I definitely already have the Shroomite Digging Claw and I'm on PS4.

No it's the second half of the 1.2.4 update that will add the stylist, visible accessories, summoner items, etc...
I believe they simply made a mistake in naming some of the new items as we already have a few they mentioned.

Good day, Terrarians!

It’s been a while since we last spoke about the progress surrounding the console versions of Terraria, and with Q1 drawing to a close, now is as good a time as any. As so many of you have rightly made note of over the past few weeks, we had originally targeted an update solely focused on adding the missing 1.2.4.1 items with an estimated timing of Q1. Well, in short, it’s taken a bit longer than we expected. This is primarily because we expanded the scope of what was being worked on. Let us share a bit more about that below.

First of all, we wanted to take some time to address some of the long-standing stability issues across all the versions: tweaks to the network game to promote a more robust experience, annoying bugs squashed, optimizations made, and so on. We know this doesn't always look as exciting in a list as compared to "new content", but we are confident that everyone will feel the benefits of this work. Why now? Well, we had to pick a good time to do this, and it made the most sense to make those fixes now rather than submitting the missing content and then stepping back to work on these fixes. Though it did admittedly delay the missing content, it will get the fixes in your hands a good deal sooner than if we had broken those out separately. We felt that was the overall best approach.

Second of all, of course, is the new and missing content. The Stylist is coming to town, so you can look forward to changing your appearance. Speaking of appearance: visible accessories are included, along with new vanity and dye slots. The experience of buying items is also streamlined. We’re also hard at working cramming in all the missing 1.2.4.1 items. There’s hundreds of things so we won't list them all, but here’s a selection:

Wommanquin; Shroomite Digging Claw; Venom Staff; Julia Butterly Jar; Super Mana Potion; Celestial Emblem; Celestial Cuffs; Mining Potion; Builder Potion; Bee Armour; Hornet Staff; Spider Armour and Staff; Optic Staff; Pressure Track; Slime Hook; Sticky Grenade... the list goes on. We’ve also got a load of furniture and new block types.

(We posted a more full list a while back - you can check this post to learn more)

Of course, with all of that said, you guys want to know when you can get your hands on this stuff! Our development work is scheduled to run to the end of April. Assuming everything looks good at that point, we will submit to Sony/Microsoft, and the update will appear a couple of weeks later after we’ve passed platform holder certification. We fully understand that the delay won't make for happy news for a lot of people, but this stability work needs to be done sometime - and, again, we would rather take that extra time to do it now than to send you content now and then have to wait even longer for those fixes. We certainly hope you can all understand and appreciate the logic behind that decision.
Other quick news items:

3DS Update: will likely hit at a similar time frame as the console timing above. We have not shared what all we are including for this one - but the plan is for this to cover fixes to the most pressing issues as well as bringing the first post-launch new content to the 3DS version of Terraria! We will share more details at a later date.

Wii U Terraria: This has taken longer than anticipated, however, we are on the brink of submission to Nintendo and this is expected to be available digitally at the end of May.
Glad for this information, as I'm looking for this next update to 3DS terraria. And it's always good to bundle stability updates in with Content updates, as it saves the devs time when it comes to dealing with each distributor's patch submission process. (PSN/XBL/NeShop take a while to process a patch before it goes live)

I'm a little sad about the postponement, but since now you have more time, you could put the 10 extra iventory slots?
This is kinda a big hope for all versions. Having the 10-slot hotbar be counted as part of the 40 item inventory is a bit bleh. On PC, there's the hotbar PLUS 40 inventory slots (and of course the equip slots and the ammo/coin slots)

It makes me sad so many people are complaining about this - a postponement of free content? I'd suggest just locking the thread...

Anyway, I'm here to show support. Another month plus more content than planned? Okay dokey.

As long as the really ugly visual bugs are fixed (yes, I reported week one) like the glass, some misc. walls, and torch textures and animations, and those trees that don't grow are fixed, you'll make me happy.

It makes me sad so many people are complaining about this - a postponement of free content? I'd suggest just locking the thread...

Anyway, I'm here to show support. Another month plus more content than planned? Okay dokey.

As long as the really ugly visual bugs are fixed (yes, I reported week one) like the glass, some misc. walls, and torch textures and animations, and those trees that don't grow are fixed, you'll make me happy.
They maked so much hype over sniper elite but terraria was is and will be
It's like 505 is father that must raise someone else kid and he ignore it because he prefer to pay full attention to his own...

So here may be a simple solution for both sides. Terraria should have stopped at the original version, no updates. Everything else be DLC, or sold in a season pass. Then the dates could be more accurate, fans can't argue, developers and publishers get compensated.

I`d rather get my content for free in an update in my opinion. It`s cheaper for me and besides, The bugs from the last update were in my case, mildly annoying rather than game breaking. Also because then I don`t have to go to the the store to pay for a $15.00 Xbox live gift card to get a DLC that probably cost less than that,(money tends to be an issue for me).

Not a fan. It already bothers me that Minecraft console editions think it makes sense to sell player skins, if this happened a lot of people would just ignore console Terraria entirely, there would be literally no reason not to just buy the PC edition.

Not a fan. It already bothers me that Minecraft console editions think it makes sense to sell player skins, if this happened a lot of people would just ignore console Terraria entirely, there would be literally no reason not to just buy the PC edition.
Someone who don't have pc should buy pc as well so i think that buying pc just to play terraria is very bad idea. I have ps4 so i play terraria on PlayStation 4.

To those that are agitated with my idea of DLC, try to see from both perspectives.
Some people hate DLC, some people love it. Same was as some people love to fight or argue, others are passive.

It is frustrating when we as consumers are basically told not to complain, even if it's a logical complaint with the product. The whole, "don't complain because we didn't have to give you anything after the original release of the game", is understandable from their perspective, but as consumers of a product, do we not have the right to have our opinions heard, as opposed to being kept in the dark more often than not and having our views invalidated?

As for 505/Re-Logic/Engine, take our opinions as constructive criticism, not as a personal attack. Try to see where we as consumers are coming from, especially if you want us to see where you are coming from as well.

Look at this forum, a perfect example of how great and passionate your fans are. Not many games have a fan base this loyal, so long after the original release.

We do understand that business is business, other games get made, and that developers do move on to bigger and better things. But so do the consumers. Heck, I've got over a hundred games on my xbox, but Terraria is the one I always come back to!

Bottom line, this game is amazing, hands down! Let's all just remember to try to work as a group to better the whole product, even if people don't necessarily agree with each other all the time :)

Last edited:

Lol that's my plan, buy Terraria for pc once the 1.3.1 update is released. Finally full controller support!!!!

To those that are agitated with my idea of DLC, try to see from both perspectives.
Some people hate DLC, some people love it. Same was as some people love to fight or argue, others are passive.

It is frustrating when we as consumers are basically told not to complain, even if it's a logical complaint with the product. The whole, "don't complain because we didn't have to give you anything after the original release of the game", is understandable from their perspective, but as consumers of a product, do we not have the right to have our opinions heard, as opposed to being kept in the dark more often than not and having our views invalidated?

As for 505/Re-Logic, take our opinions as constructive criticism, not as a personal attack. Try to see where we as consumers are coming from, especially if you want us to see where you are coming from as well.

Look at this forum, a perfect example of how great and passionate your fans are. Not many games have a fan base this loyal, so long after the original release.

We do understand that business is business, other games get made, and that developers do move on to bigger and better things. But so do the consumers. Heck, I've got over a hundred games on my xbox, but Terraria is the one I always come back to!

Bottom line, this game is amazing, hands down! Let's all just remember to try to work as a group to better the whole product, even if people don't necessarily agree with each other all the time :)
I don't care if 505 games give terraria to other studio or bother to do it themselves i paid for it.

Lol that's my plan, buy Terraria for pc once the 1.3.1 update is released. Finally full controller support!!!!

Best of all Terraria PC is only a couple of bucks at the best of times (Gaben sales be praised, you don't want it off G2A). I've already put a few thousand hours into Terraria Vita and I'll happily change the ~100 hours of steam game time when controller support is added.

Now my slightly off-topic question is does anyone know a mod for Tpc that adds analytic 3D? I've got Terraria to run correctly on my oculus dk1 and I feel that it would go well (or cause horrible motion sickness)

Duplication works differently on the Xbox 360 by giving things you want to duplicate to a second player have them save then have them give the items back then have the 2nd player sign out then sign back in and then the 2nd player should have all the items you gave them
Oh brilliant. Even MORE dupe glitches.

Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom