Console Console Update Timing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best of all Terraria PC is only a couple of bucks at the best of times (Gaben sales be praised, you don't want it off G2A). I've already put a few thousand hours into Terraria Vita and I'll happily change the ~100 hours of steam game time when controller support is added.

Now my slightly off-topic question is does anyone know a mod for Tpc that adds analytic 3D? I've got Terraria to run correctly on my oculus dk1 and I feel that it would go well (or cause horrible motion sickness)
For me buying pc version of terraria is pointless because i have to buy pc just for terraria and that never happen.
It will take more than few bucks if you don't have pc.

Once again 505games are the publishers..not the developers. Engine Software is the company developing the Console Version. Relogic does the PC version. Codeglue does the 3DS and mobile versions

Once again 505games are the publishers..not the developers. Engine Software is the company developing the Console Version. Relogic does the PC version. Codeglue does the 3DS and mobile versions
So i need to blame engine software for unfinished buggy update and unplayable ps vita version now? I dont care terraria for console needs better developer that don't screw everything up.

I know but I think people may it confused as when 505 messaged about the game is says publisher/developer and anyway I think the whole team has done a great job over and over with new games coming out and planned to come out like terraria otherworld and terraria I think a little delay on a update even through the delay is helping getting us a better game. I agree with the idea about monthly updates about the progress just as then we can give our input on how to fix how to resolve it and so on. But overall very good job to 505/re logic and engine and to all those who help like Loki, safe man, tunnel King I think it is, cenx and the rest of the moderators happy Easter hols to you lot enjoy it while it lasts. Anyway midnight so night everyone

All those new items and let me guess, console still wont be recieving the extra line of slots in the inventory. Having to teleport home constantly due to lack of inventory space makes the game incredibly grindy and tedious. Add all the extra items from 1.2.4.1 and it just compounds the issue. Hard decisions need to be made about last gen hardware updates so that next gen console owners that shelled out extra money for the game, get to experience Terraria the way its meant to be. If there isnt enough screen space on last gen to add the inventory slots, will you continue to hold back Xbone and Ps4 users just to keep continuity between all console versions? Console owners deserve better. This all feels like "Look at all the shiny new stuff" and dont notice that the foundation of the game is severely flawed and crippled. Surely you know this issue will have to be addressed. I sincerely hope Re-Logic wont allow the flagship console version of its most celebrated game continue to ineptly reflect its vision of Terraria, the way they inteded it to be. 1.2.4.1 is a big step for console owners but this issue just overshadows all of it for me and surely others.

All those new items and let me guess, console still wont be recieving the extra line of slots in the inventory. Having to teleport home constantly due to lack of inventory space makes the game incredibly grindy and tedious.
The current inventory size slows me down too so I think it would be nice if we could get a few extra inventory slots in the next update.

I've got the game on 360, PC and 3DS. It is my understanding that the PC version is the best, obviously as it's made by the original devs... it's always the most up to date and seems to be fairly bug free.

Then the 360/console version would be next. It's completely stable in my experience and the only thing holding it back is that it's always 5 steps behind on the updates from the PC.

Then there's the 3DS/mobile version that crashes every 10 minutes, has tiny worlds, no online multiplayer and very little hope of ever reaching 1.3... (yet the 3DS version is the most expensive on the market)

We will not be doing paid DLC. So that is all really kind of a fun hypothetical discussion that won't lead anywhere. :p

These updates - on any platform - do cost a substantial amount of both time and money resources - I say that as a matter of course, not for sympathy or anything. Rest assured that Re-Logic keeps a close eye out for what is going on across the franchise and then makes our thoughts (good, bad, and ugly) well known to 505 Games. To-date, they have been fantastic in making some pretty sweeping changes as a result (complete overhaul of Customer Service, ongoing complete overhaul of QA, etc.). Sometimes, those changes take a good amount of time to come to fruition, but the fruits have been and are still coming from that collaboration.

The catch-22 of "don't give release dates" is, of course, the never-ending spam about "when is X coming" - trust me, I must read that about 100-200x per day either here or on our social media accounts. The other side being that game development is a squirrely beast to pin down - it doesn't really care for your deadlines and has a nasty habit of tossing issues at you when you least expect it.

Now, I think we were all in agreement on the more regular communication - and, as I noted, I checked back with everyone....and everyone seems aligned on doing far more regular news updates (with the understanding that the amount of news in each update will differ based on what there is to share).

Then there's the 3DS/mobile version that crashes every 10 minutes, has tiny worlds, no online multiplayer and very little hope of ever reaching 1.3... (yet the 3DS version is the most expensive on the market)

Mobile has issues - but that is a gross hyperbolic statement. There are some people that experience what you describe, and the team is hunting that down (as I noted elsewhere, if people can file tickets/provide logs and info, that search would go far more quickly) along with working on the next in what has been a steady stream of fixes that have come on a pretty regular basis since the start of the year. They also just added PC Small worlds.

3DS does not crash "Every 10 minutes" - perhaps it does for some group of people(?), but far from everyone. I've had maybe 1-2 on mine....and my kids (each of whom play daily for hours) have had maybe 3-4 each since December. Not saying that ANY crashing is good or desirable - and the 505/CG guys are working on a ton of fixes to add into that content coming in the update mentioned.

Pricing is a complete and total red herring that has been beaten to death in many locations. As I have noted elsewhere, not one single platform manufacturer (Sony/MS/Nintendo/etc) sets pricing based upon what a game costs on some other platform. Typically, it is set vs "comparables" - similar games on the same platform. For the 3DS version, that means it would be set based upon other 3DS games - not what Terraria costs on PC or anywhere else. 3DS is ultimately paying for portability to me. I personally cannot play the mobile version all that well (I struggle with the controls, maybe I'm just too old :p ) but I find the 3DS version to be quite enjoyable to play when on the go.

The funniest bit on pricing to me is always comparing to MC, where we are generally quite similar (again, comparables) - except on PC, where Re-Logic have kept the price stable at less than half of what MC costs - and then we and/or 505 get yelled at for pricing elsewhere because PC is cheaper. Think about that for a second. Anyway, that is getting off topic...but I wanted to once again deal with that before it derails the thread further.

I know it's disappointing that we; the customers, are constantly being lied to by game developers that make a promise. But I must remind you all, that this is not the only major franchise that failed to deliver. Halo, CoD, Sonic, Mario, and yes even Minecraft has failed numerous times to give the fans what experience they want from their game. Added on to that, 505 and Engine are not a massive company. Terraria is only 1 out of many games they have to keep running. So I have to say to you all, stop acting like spoiled children and instead, act like adults.:)

In addition to what Loki has already said, some technical things to consider. I have read all the responses and the confusion with people about the how and why it would take *any* time to port something you could just copy and paste. The best argument that I'd like to reply to is that someone said that MC in Java to C++ on consoles seems to take less time than Terraria that was written in C# with the use of XNA libs so it is easier to port to Xbox. Even if that were true (which it is not) it would only work on the one platform (Xbox 360) and every other platform would have to be done separately from Xbox 360. Since it is absolutely not done to release on one platform but not the others, it would not shorten your wait. But, alas:

1) XNA is discontinued; it is no longer developed by MS or maintained on consoles

2) Xbox One never had any XNA support, neither did PS3, PS4, PS Vita or Wii U

3) Converting code from C# to C++ is about as much work as it is to convert code from Java to C++...sure the languages are more similar so it is a bit easier, but in 99% of the time it still requires a lot of rewriting, especially if you optimize code at the same time. Simple example: Terraria has about 3 or 4 different ways to look up tiles/items now...the first way was too slow, then it was partially rewritten during 1.2 and with the addition of Yorai it was partially rewritten again. When porting, we took the final solution and applied it to ALL items since it is consistent, and faster, and if our lead programmer on Terraria gets hit by a bus tomorrow someone else can take over and understand the code. Don't underestimate how much optimizing Terraria requires or has undergone.

4) TRC (technical requirements): for each platform there are rules created by the platform holder that any product has to abide by. This can be simple things like consistent button mapping and naming, to getting the correct network error dialog when you disable your internet connection. To the point where 'if all remote players leave the session at the *exact* same time while connecting, the game ends up in an infinite loading loop'. Don't ask me how often it will happen that you have seven remote players that are having a countdown going 3, 2, 1, DISCONNECT GUYS!! now!! But it has to be checked. For every update. On every platform.

5) Tapping on the limits...on the previous generation console and Vita, we are really stretching the hardware limitations to keep Terraria running. The Vita-crashes that someone mentioned were (and are) a memory problem. Terraria is not hard on your CPU per se, but it is hard on memory...and the only way to address that problem is to remove the strain from memory and put it on the CPU...unfortunately the Vita is also the one with the most CPU strain problems already.

Disclaimer: only posting this to provide some insights, it is not meant as a confirmation of complaints, denial of complaints or a pity-party. Just some knowledge provided to you free of charge.

Lets NOT resort to name calling or speaking down to people because of age, kay? :) That ain't gonna fly.

In addition to what Loki has already said, some technical things to consider. I have read all the responses and the confusion with people about the how and why it would take *any* time to port something you could just copy and paste. The best argument that I'd like to reply to is that someone said that MC in Java to C++ on consoles seems to take less time than Terraria that was written in C# with the use of XNA libs so it is easier to port to Xbox. Even if that were true (which it is not) it would only work on the one platform (Xbox 360) and every other platform would have to be done separately from Xbox 360. Since it is absolutely not done to release on one platform but not the others, it would not shorten your wait. But, alas:

1) XNA is discontinued; it is no longer developed by MS or maintained on consoles

2) Xbox One never had any XNA support, neither did PS3, PS4, PS Vita or Wii U

3) Converting code from C# to C++ is about as much work as it is to convert code from Java to C++...sure the languages are more similar so it is a bit easier, but in 99% of the time it still requires a lot of rewriting, especially if you optimize code at the same time. Simple example: Terraria has about 3 or 4 different ways to look up tiles/items now...the first way was too slow, then it was partially rewritten during 1.2 and with the addition of Yorai it was partially rewritten again. When porting, we took the final solution and applied it to ALL items since it is consistent, and faster, and if our lead programmer on Terraria gets hit by a bus tomorrow someone else can take over and understand the code. Don't underestimate how much optimizing Terraria requires or has undergone.

4) TRC (technical requirements): for each platform there are rules created by the platform holder that any product has to abide by. This can be simple things like consistent button mapping and naming, to getting the correct network error dialog when you disable your internet connection. To the point where 'if all remote players leave the session at the *exact* same time while connecting, the game ends up in an infinite loading loop'. Don't ask me how often it will happen that you have seven remote players that are having a countdown going 3, 2, 1, DISCONNECT GUYS!! now!! But it has to be checked. For every update. On every platform.

5) Tapping on the limits...on the previous generation console and Vita, we are really stretching the hardware limitations to keep Terraria running. The Vita-crashes that someone mentioned were (and are) a memory problem. Terraria is not hard on your CPU per se, but it is hard on memory...and the only way to address that problem is to remove the strain from memory and put it on the CPU...unfortunately the Vita is also the one with the most CPU strain problems already.

Disclaimer: only posting this to provide some insights, it is not meant as a confirmation of complaints, denial of complaints or a pity-party. Just some knowledge provided to you free of charge.

Thanks for the info, it's what a lot of people in forum needed to know!

I do have one question that's probably in everyone's mind..relating to #5 on your list: with the constant worry of memory issues on last Gen consoles, can you give us a general indication as to whether or not last Gen will have enough memory to eventually get 1.3 update in the future?

Personally, I've put two solid years into a single world on last Gen, but worry that the lack of memory on last gen will keep us from playing a complete version of Terraria.

Bottom line, will last gen consoles even be able to hypothetically handle the 1.3 update, or should we look into other versions such as pc to maximize our Terraria experience?

I think this glitch has been in the game since it came out on consoles so I think this may be the first console duplication glitch but probably wasn't the first duplication glitch found

Yeah, that's been around since launch. Not really a "glitch" but more of people abusing the games' save/autosave mechanic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom