Game Mechanics Controlling the biomes

Is this suggestion good?

• 5/5: Why isn't this implemented?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4/5: A little more and it would be perfect.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 3/5: You need to revamp this, but it is alright.

• 2/5: I don't think this is a good idea.

• 1/5: Woah, this idea sucks!

• 0/5: *vomits*

• Total voters

towerator

Terrarian
Have you ever wondered why is the hallow, a cheerful place, so aggressive? Why can't you befriend it?
Good question! How about being able to control a biome, and make it your home?

1. Being chosen by the biome

Each biome (including the covert, the contamination and the cyber as I know how you like them) will have a special mark (Cp = corruption, Cr = Crimson, Cn = contamination, Cy = cyber, Cv = covert, H = hallow, meh, everything starts with a C)

After hardmode gets activated, doing nice/evil actions would give you alignement points (I know, there's no point for killing, but just think about it: it would be a pain...)

Destroying a soul of night/light or core or rune: 0.5 point towards the other alignement (good or evil)

Shooting with a clentaminator:
-0.02 point by block put back to normal for the other alignement
-0.01 point by block converted for the alignement it is coverted in

Killing NPCs: 1 point for the evil side

A contrario, protecting NPCs will give you 0.1 positive point per NPC in your town and per day.

As you get more points towards a side, the dryad progressively changes it's colors depending on the situation.

A message appears to show you that you are progressing, at 33 points, 66 points and 100 points (max is 200):

Cp: 33: "You hear a demonic roar"
66: "Shadows gather around you"
100: "The corruption has chosen you!"

H 33: "You hear an angelic song"
66: "Light descends from heaven"
100: "The hallow has chosen you!"

Cr 33: "You are feeling like your flesh is boiling"
66: "Your vision is reddening"
100: "The crimson has chosen you!"

Cy 33: "You hear metallic clicks"
66: "You feel strangely attracted to metal"
100: "The cyber has chosen you!"

Cn 33: "An horrible smell gets in your nostrils"
66: "You are feeling like you're dieing"
100: "The contamination has chosen you!"

Cv 33: "You feel your lifeforce growing"
66: "You feel better than ever"
100: "The covert has chosen you!"

As you progress, the biome's ennemies do less and less damage, as they recognize you: -20% at 33 points, -40% at 66 and -60% at 100.

2. Gaining the trust of the biome

(Note: starting for this, I only put my ideas considering the hallow. Why? 1. I have more ideas for it, and 2. it would be too long to post everything).

As you reach 100 points, the dryad now has blue stripes, like the hallow. If you talk to her, you will be able to do a quest. Typically, you need to destroy corrupted/bloody/contamined blocks, get her souls of night (DO NOT destroy all the other biome! You won't be able to use the other functions!), get her drops from corruptions or kill mobs there.

The second, fourth, sixth, eigth and tenth quest rewards are special staves:
2. Staff of fairies
4. Staff of magic
6. Staff of light
8. Staff of loyalty
10. Staff of order
These staves, when present in the world makes hallowed creatures neutral and you will be able to interact with them: first fairies and gastropods, then unicorns, then illuminant creatures (bats and slimes(both)), then enchated swords, and finally elementals. You can combine all these to make the staff of the hallow, which combines the five.

That's it! The hallow is your home now!

3. Interacting with hallowed creatures

Now that you are known among the hallow as pure, you will be able to get help from it's residents.

I)PIXIES
Those little balls of light will now gladly execute simple orders (example: dig everything in a zone) at the cost of 1 soul per 200 blocks.

II)GASTROPODS
These strange little creature will now use their laser-shooting talents to kill your ennemies, at the price of 1 soul per 5 minutes. (magic damage bonuses affect their effectiveness)

III)UNICORNS
Unicorn will accept to be ridden for 10 minutes if you give them 3 souls.

IV)ILLUMINANT SLIMES AND BATS
They will now accept to be treated as pets for 10 souls

V)ENCHANTED SWORDS
They will circle around you doing melee damages like a greatsword, but do the full circle (Of course you can still use a weapon). Simply give them 1 soul per minute of use!

VI)CHAOS ELEMENTALS
A player willing to give them 25 souls will make them settle in one in your houses and be a town NPC (max 3 can be settled). They sell the hallow's drop so you won't have to kill your friends, as well as an upgraded version of the chaos staff with only half the chaos state cooldown. And they can teleport you anywhere on the map! Wow, the steampunker's teleporter is quite slow actually!

4. Controlling the spread

-S.Homewanne: "But what is the reward of the other quests?
Patience! It allows you to control the spread of your biome! There are several options:

First quest will allow you to regulate the speed of spreading
:
Stop: there won't be any spread
Slow: spread like post-plantera biomes
Normal: Pre-plantera spread
Fast: spreading range extended to 5 blocks
Extreme: spreading range extended to 10 blocks.

Third , fifth, seventh and ninth quest gives options about other biomes (in order: normal, ice, jungle and opposite biome). You can choose between "Spread on" and "replaced by": the biome will decay in profit of the biome. Therefore you can use the hallow as a catalyst to replace corruption with jungle. Revenge!

So, what are you guys thinking?

P.S.: I'm terrible at making sprites. Feel free to make them.
P.P.S.: First post! Yay!
P.P.P.S.: I'm not native, so I may have been a grammar nazi. If so, sorry!

Last edited:
At first when seeing the title, I thought this was going to be unoriginal but no, I stand corrected. This is actually really nice, even if it is a bit RPG-ish. The format of this suggestion could do with a bit of modifying, though.

I sorta liked the idea, up until the quests. But it would work better as a mod, I wouldn't want this all the time. Cool idea though.

At first when seeing the title, I thought this was going to be unoriginal but no, I stand corrected. This is actually really nice, even if it is a bit RPG-ish. The format of this suggestion could do with a bit of modifying, though.
Thanks you for this positive feedback! What do you mean by "new format?"

I sorta liked the idea, up until the quests. But it would work better as a mod, I wouldn't want this all the time. Cool idea though.
Thanks, yeah, it could be a mod, but I tried to make it a fully optionnal part of the gameplay. Otberwise said: Don't like it? Don't do it.

Thanks you for this positive feedback! What do you mean by "new format?"

Thanks, yeah, it could be a mod, but I tried to make it a fully optionnal part of the gameplay. Otberwise said: Don't like it? Don't do it.
As in the look of the thread, separating it a bit more is just one good thing you can do.

Back
Top Bottom