Xbox One Controls suck.

Zay.

Terrarian
Bro, the 1.4 controls on Controller are dog****, they are way too complex, and there is no definitions that tell you what anything means so you just guessing, give an option for simplified/ 1.3 controls, these are terrible.

"thEY'Re 2 ManY cOnFLiCtzzz" - Loki
controller on pc: has the same controls has 1.3 and works fine on 1.4 without issue

Bro, the 1.4 controls on Controller are dog****, they are way too complex, and there is no definitions that tell you what anything means so you just guessing, give an option for simplified/ 1.3 controls, these are terrible.
Hi there @Zay. we allow profanity of this site as there is a filter in place for those that don’t wish to see the words, so if you want to say the new controls are dog:red:, go ahead and type out they‘re dog:red:.

With that out of the way, a lot of players have found success with setting their scheme to “Advanced” and then customizing it to their liking from there. The dev team wanted to give the players ultra control over the controls, so you can literally remap your buttons to anything you want. It may be too complex to some, and just right for others. You can’t please all the people all of the time. 🤷‍♀️

I feel as if they are starting to show their real selves now tbh.
And I'll admit it scares me.
Their true selves? That they’re just trying to make a cool video game? I always enjoy the hyperbole that new changes in an update bring out.

"thEY'Re 2 ManY cOnFLiCtzzz" - Loki
controller on pc: has the same controls has 1.3 and works fine on 1.4 without issue
It’s not necessary to mock others to get your point across though @vrizox. I’m not saying that you need to like the controls. You can hate them. And you can say so. Constructive criticism will never be disallowed here. What really is helpful, though, is if the feedback is presented in a clear way with examples so that the dev team can go through the messages and understand completely what the players like and don’t like. Messages like “controls suck” with no additional details are rarely helpful.

But again, for all three of you, no matter what is implemented, they can’t please all of the people all of the time, and I’m sorry if these control changes are not vibing with you. I mean that sincerely.

Hi there @Zay. we allow profanity of this site as there is a filter in place for those that don’t wish to see the words, so if you want to say the new controls are dog:red:, go ahead and type out they‘re dog:red:.

With that out of the way, a lot of players have found success with setting their scheme to “Advanced” and then customizing it to their liking from there. The dev team wanted to give the players ultra control over the controls, so you can literally remap your buttons to anything you want. It may be too complex to some, and just right for others. You can’t please all the people all of the time. 🤷‍♀️

Their true selves? That they’re just trying to make a cool video game? I always enjoy the hyperbole that new changes in an update bring out.

It’s not necessary to mock others to get your point across though @vrizox. I’m not saying that you need to like the controls. You can hate them. And you can say so. Constructive criticism will never be disallowed here. What really is helpful, though, is if the feedback is presented in a clear way with examples so that the dev team can go through the messages and understand completely what the players like and don’t like. Messages like “controls suck” with no additional details are rarely helpful.

But again, for all three of you, no matter what is implemented, they can’t please all of the people all of the time, and I’m sorry if these control changes are not vibing with you. I mean that sincerely.
Completely off topic sorta but what if I wanted to say I found that the crafting menu is :red:ty and frustrating? I'm talking I last played this game almost 3 or 4 years ago when console still had the old UI. I get they don't want to go back to it which I guess they don't want to move backwards with updates. It's just I've never found it fun or engaging to have to go to the guide or the wiki every single time I wanted to know how to make something. I honestly haven't even played the game since they changed it because I don't want to spend 5 minutes looking up recipes for all the stuff I want to make. Started playing recently because I want to play the new updates and experience everything there added. It's infuriating because I love this game but I don't want to feel like I'm playing a tutorial at all times. I even made a post but I'm doubtful it'll garner enough attention.

Completely off topic sorta but what if I wanted to say I found that the crafting menu is :red:ty and frustrating? I'm talking I last played this game almost 3 or 4 years ago when console still had the old UI. I get they don't want to go back to it which I guess they don't want to move backwards with updates. It's just I've never found it fun or engaging to have to go to the guide or the wiki every single time I wanted to know how to make something. I honestly haven't even played the game since they changed it because I don't want to spend 5 minutes looking up recipes for all the stuff I want to make. Started playing recently because I want to play the new updates and experience everything there added. It's infuriating because I love this game but I don't want to feel like I'm playing a tutorial at all times. I even made a post but I'm doubtful it'll garner enough attention.
All of this is a completely valid opinion. But there’s really nothing that can be done if your vision of how the game should be conflicts with the vision of the creator of the game. Nothing that can be done except to share your opinion, which is what you’ve done.

ok ill remove the meme format.. based on what loki said it seems more like a white lie if anything since on pc if you use a controller on 1.4 it still uses 1.3 controls and u.i and works perfectly fine... spite the conflicts that loki spoke about....... also based on polls taken everywhere it isnt vibing with 90% of the playerbase...i pray for modding 2 come 2 console so that itll be fixed

@Unit One I play both PC and Xbox but have always felt that the Xbox controls were too sloppy so I was excited to see that 1.4 added support for a keyboard and mouse. However, there are some issues with the keyboard controls that make playing difficult like the scroll wheel doesn't scroll in the crafting menu you are either at the top or at the bottom you can't scroll through the middle. The same is true on the map, you are either zoomed all the way in or all the way out with no in-between. I can't bind the side buttons on my mouse to anything, but I'm not sure if that's just an xbox thing or if the game just doesn't recognize it. Also, as far as I can tell there is no way to bind a key to favoriting items, moving items quickly to and from a chest, or quickly moving items into the trash. I'm not sure if this is known yet or not but I couldn't find anything about it anywhere and I don't think that it's supposed to be frustrating like that. Do you think that this will be fixed sometime soon? 1.4.1 maybe?

can't you just bind page up and down or the plus and minus on the num pad of your keyboard has it? when I play PC I always used keyboard keys to adjust the zoom on the mini-map

On the mini-map up in the corner yes you do zoom with keys by default, it is +/- on the number pad but I don't think that works when you have the big map open. I think you always had to use the scroll wheel for zooming in and out and it's really frustrating when you can't zoom in and out correctly and you are trying to use pylons or wormhole potions. I can deal with it, I just use a controller for map-related stuff but the inventory part is killing me, literally, I have died a few times because I'm not fast enough with chests and I'm playing multiplayer with some friends so auto pause doesn't work.

@Unit One I play both PC and Xbox but have always felt that the Xbox controls were too sloppy so I was excited to see that 1.4 added support for a keyboard and mouse. However, there are some issues with the keyboard controls that make playing difficult like the scroll wheel doesn't scroll in the crafting menu you are either at the top or at the bottom you can't scroll through the middle. The same is true on the map, you are either zoomed all the way in or all the way out with no in-between. I can't bind the side buttons on my mouse to anything, but I'm not sure if that's just an xbox thing or if the game just doesn't recognize it. Also, as far as I can tell there is no way to bind a key to favoriting items, moving items quickly to and from a chest, or quickly moving items into the trash. I'm not sure if this is known yet or not but I couldn't find anything about it anywhere and I don't think that it's supposed to be frustrating like that. Do you think that this will be fixed sometime soon? 1.4.1 maybe?
Hi @FreeRider, yes, I’m seeing other players report issues with keyboard+mouse. Looks like some functionality got overlooked. The devs will be taking a look at it.

Back
Top Bottom