Portfolio/Multi-Topic Cooking / Farming ideas

Exades

Terrarian
These ideas I'm writing here are something I always wanted in this game, check them out

[Biome] Mountains

Pretty self explaining, we have almost only plains and deserts, I'd like to see mountains with harpy nests and possibly a new Harpy boss on the top, to do this maybe we would need to increase the height of smaller maps or even the bigger ones too!

[Game Mechanics] Cooking

This too is plain simple, right now we can effortlessly dig all the day without a snack break, so I'd like to see a hunger bar that would impact on player skill to mine or a little slower regeneration, maybe a samll list of debuffs when starving, tha would induce new and intresting situations in the game.
To do this we would need a set of items that would help us to cook all the ingredients like an oven wich may have multiple versions from the most basic Clay Oven to a most advanced fully automated Eletrical Titanium Oven, for that we obviously need to implement ingredients in the world, like who would not eat an UNICORN SOUP?
The cooking should also not be istant but depending on the recipe require a time of preparation so we could get [undercooked] [normal] [perfect] and [burnt] food obviously the more advanced the oven the less interactions with the oven are required by the player.
We vould need to have a Cook NPC wich would help us with the recipes and help the cooking process (like keeping things from burning in the oven)

[Game Mechanics] Farming

Well, i've read that this was on the list of things to do but had to write about it since it's a feature that can be easly linked with cooking
We would require a Farmer NPC to buy some equipment or seeds, the advanced seeds would be unlocked by finding them in chests [rare loot] and some other after boss fights, then purchasable from the npc, also he could sell some domesticated animals like chickens, goats, turkeys and so on
to keep the farm going we would need to build a placeable structure for eack animal farm and put the purcheased animals in the structures to bind them togheter obviolusly each structure should have a limit on animals bound to them and the animals should find refuge from the monsters here by night or invasions, some means to defend the chickens fomr the daylight monsters and we would be set, something like fences so animals could go to a protected background layer.
For plants there shouldn't be problems since we have alredy some in the game, we would only need to add the fruit trees.

The possibilities are endless!

I don't think the mountains idea is the best one because Terraria is a 2D side-scroller, and the world isn't big enough to support a really big and respectable mountain, but if the worlds were bigger, I'd like to see mountains!

About the starving idea, I didn't like it at all. Terraria is more "go explore" than "try surviving", but I really liked the cooking idea that would add buffs. I think an cooking or alchemy system woul fit. And I liked the whole farming stuff, I miss this in Terraria.

While I'm all for adding more domestic animals and farm plants to Terraria just for fun, I strongly disagree with the hunger system. Terraria is more of an exploration, building, and adventure game than survival. I think it would take away greatly from the current game and would not be fun at all.

As for mountains, I don't think that with how many biomes there are currently that there will be enough room in one world to spawn a whole mountain range. Not to mention that it could be difficult for new characters to get around the mountains and access vital parts of the map. But perhaps they'll add something like this idea with the new minibiomes being added in 1.3.

in addition to what everyone else said, in a technical aspect to all of this, you need to keep in mind that some of our terrarians (such as myself) have low-end computers and have hardware limitations and might not be able to play on bigger maps, expanding the size of the maps more than they already are will quite possibly make it so we cant even play anymore. myself for example, can not play on a world bigger than a Small world because of limitations. kind of unfair to take away terraria right?

I don't think the mountains idea is the best one because Terraria is a 2D side-scroller, and the world isn't big enough to support a really big and respectable mountain, but if the worlds were bigger, I'd like to see mountains!

About the starving idea, I didn't like it at all. Terraria is more "go explore" than "try surviving", but I really liked the cooking idea that would add buffs. I think an cooking or alchemy system woul fit. And I liked the whole farming stuff, I miss this in Terraria.

While I'm all for adding more domestic animals and farm plants to Terraria just for fun, I strongly disagree with the hunger system. Terraria is more of an exploration, building, and adventure game than survival. I think it would take away greatly from the current game and would not be fun at all.

As for mountains, I don't think that with how many biomes there are currently that there will be enough room in one world to spawn a whole mountain range. Not to mention that it could be difficult for new characters to get around the mountains and access vital parts of the map. But perhaps they'll add something like this idea with the new minibiomes being added in 1.3.

Well the starving idea is just a little compensation for cooking, it would not make sense to cok but don't have any need to eat, the only downside in starvation i had in mind is to make someone just a little slower in their activitieslike a -10% mining speed / attack speed / damage / a little slower heart regeneration rate (if this is the problem then there is no need to alter it at all) and it would require to eat a wild shroom, a potion a goldfish to at least return the situation to normal, i never had in mind to let anyone die by starvation, we have alredy games that cover that :p

As for mountains probably i explained my idea really poorly, what i had in mind was not the classical mountain like, let's say the Everest, but more like these chinese peaks we can see often in mangas

10504114-hallelujah-mountain.jpg

they would not require a lot of height but of course i was in the mood "the bigger the better" so you got it wrong i was thinking in something about 200 blocks and large 60 on base and 20 on the summit, just not too close to space or a little under the floating islands height so digging trough the mountain would not be so troublesome and harpy nests placed on the sides would add a lot of beauty to the game

in addition to what everyone else said, in a technical aspect to all of this, you need to keep in mind that some of our terrarians (such as myself) have low-end computers and have hardware limitations and might not be able to play on bigger maps, expanding the size of the maps more than they already are will quite possibly make it so we cant even play anymore. myself for example, can not play on a world bigger than a Small world because of limitations. kind of unfair to take away terraria right?

Of course i don't want to ruin the game to anyone and you are right that maybe adding size to the map would incapacitate someone from playing and i don't want that at all, the more we are the better! But also every patch is added to the game you should expect at least a little drop in performance due to the new assets added or more time to wait when generating the world.

What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom