Serious Cooking

Ghostar

Empress of Light
Ever since around the beginning of the year I've been learning more and more on how to cook things. I'm always on the hunt for new and interesting recipes. Any one here know any?

Oh god, I had the best recipe for dumplings, and now I can't remember the name of them. I'll get back to you once I remember

It's called khinkali. I couldn't find the recipe I had before, and I don't know how legit this one is, but this is one I found.
http://georgianrecipes.net/2013/03/29/khinkali/
It's delicious. The link says it's eaten with only black pepper, but sour cream (I'm not sure if this is the right word in English, lol) is amazing with it.

EDIT: The link also says you don't eat the top, but I just can't resist.

Last edited:
Oh god, I had the best recipe for dumplings, and now I can't remember the name of them. I'll get back to you once I remember

It's called khinkali. I couldn't find the recipe I had before, and I don't know how legit this one is, but this is one I found.
http://georgianrecipes.net/2013/03/29/khinkali/
It's delicious. The link says it's eaten with only black pepper, but sour cream (I'm not sure if this is the right word in English, lol) is amazing with it.

EDIT: The link also says you don't eat the top, but I just can't resist.

That doesn't seem too terribly hard to make actually. I bet something like that would be good with Turkey stuffed into it.

There's exactly one "food" I know how to make. It's British, but unlike their usual cat's lung flambéd in goat piss-type foods it's actually delicious.

-Butter both sides of a toast.
-Use something like a narrow drinking glass to make a hole in the middle.
-Put butter on a pan, and the hole-y toast on the pan.
-Break an egg in the middle. Let it sizzle, and turn. You can add a slice of cheese if you want.
-Eat, or use it to lure a brit to your bed. If it doesn't work, try the cat's lung flambéd in goat piss.
Actually, this recipe requires shoving the meat in then boiling right? Can you cook the meat first then add it?
I'm pretty sure (s)he isn't a cannibal.

Actually, this recipe requires shoving the meat in then boiling right? Can you cook the meat first then add it?
I haven't done this specific kind of dumpling, but generally with dumplings, you shove the meat in first. And it's way easier than shoving in cooked meat as well.

There's exactly one "food" I know how to make. It's British, but unlike their usual cat's lung flambéd in goat piss-type foods it's actually delicious.

-Butter both sides of a toast.
-Use something like a narrow drinking glass to make a hole in the middle.
-Put butter on a pan, and the hole-y toast on the pan.
-Break an egg in the middle. Let it sizzle, and turn. You can add a slice of cheese if you want.
-Eat, or use it to lure a brit to your bed. If it doesn't work, try the cat's lung flambéd in goat piss.

I'm pretty sure (s)he isn't a cannibal.
If all else fails, eat Mermite.

Guys, let's be nice here. No need to insult any other cultures or methods of cooking. Everybody likes different things. :) Just stay on track without being potentially offensive, and we'll all be a little happier.

That being said, I love making Curry. All kinds, Thai, Japanese, Indian... Curry. Pretty simple, like making stew or soup, only with specific spices.
My favorites are probably classic Japanese golden curry or coconut Thai curry.

Guys, let's be nice here. No need to insult any other cultures or methods of cooking. Everybody likes different things. :)

That being said, I love making Curry. All kinds, Thai, Japanese, Indian... Curry. Pretty simple, like making stew or soup, only with specific spices.
My favorites are probably classic Japanese golden curry or coconut Thai curry.
I didn't mean to offend anyone,if I did I'm sorry :(

Gah. Reading this thread is making me hungry.

Guys, let's be nice here. No need to insult any other cultures or methods of cooking. Everybody likes different things. :) Just stay on track without being potentially offensive, and we'll all be a little happier.
Did I miss something, or is there a deleted post I can't see? xP

Oh, come on. Brits may have inedible food, but they do have a sense of humour. At least I think they do, since like, 90% of my favourite comedy shows are British.

On topic: I also know how to make scrambled eggs.

Some people have been taking offense to the way some of the things have been said. Nothing too bad, but just reminding everyone to be respectful of any food and culture, as you never know who may take offense to what is said.

But... but... Then nobody can ever say anything, since pretty much anything you say can and will offend someone somewhere somehow, not to mention there are certain barbaric cultures that---

Fine, fine, I promise to tone it down from now on. I'm pretty sure I get what you mean.

Right, back on topic. Someone else will have to do it, since those toast-egg-thingies are literally the only food I know how to do.

It's been some time since I've cooked proper meals, due to a health problem... However, seeing as I like saving money I often made myself cheaper meals. (Simple ingredients).

"Corned Beef Hash"
Ingredients: Corned Beef, potatoes and Onions. Some people like to add sweetcorn or carrots, and may substitute the gravy for milk and a little bit of butter.
It's a nice 'budget' meal. Very filling and tastes good, easy to make as well.

I used to eat entire pots of food, so I can't exactly say how many 'servings' this will give you.
Recipe may not be exact, it's been a long time and I often experimented to change the taste each time. But, from the top of my head...

Prep;
  1. Peel (optional) and dice potatoes (I would often use around 6 or 7).
  2. 200g of Corned Beef, chop it up into small squares.
  3. Chop up your onions (I used two, I like onion).
  4. Make your gravy however you want. I'd recommend around 1/2 pint/300ml, more on the watery side. - Feel free to use slightly more.
Cooking;
  1. Use a large deep pan (fryer pan) and let it heat for a little bit on a medium heat.
  2. Add the onions, corned beef and potatoes separately, one after the other. Make sure to give it a little shake and turn as well - Don't want anything burning!
  3. Add the gravy at a slow rate evenly across the pan.
  4. Continue the above over the course of around 2-3minutes and then leave to simmer.
  5. Check on it every 10 minutes, it should take around 20-30minutes depending on how large the potatoes were and the consistency of your gravy.
  6. Once the potatoes are "mashable" aka, are very soft and the gravy is almost gone, it's ready to serve!
You can serve this with Salad, beans... Beetroot works okay too, and it's still pretty edible while cold. Can pop it on top of some toast or something.

Topping may include grated cheese, tomato or brown sauce, possibly salad dressing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom