Biomes & Nature Corruptable Sunflower

Would you like this to be added in the game?

• Yes

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Change some things (comment)

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Xeramel [BR]

Terrarian
Now, i had an idea about sunflowers. They are usefull, but they are boring. You can't place them in the jungle or corruption/crimson.
I propose that the sunflower could be placed in the crimson and jungle, but it would have a debuff instead of a buff.
The crimson sunflower could give a debuff similar to the water candle;
The corruption sunflower could slow you down;
The jungle sunflower could grow spikes around it.

I'm not an artist so i have no idea how it could look like.
I don't know what debuffs/effects would be interesting, but i just gave an example. If you think it should be different, let me know.

That doesn't even sounds balanced. Water candle effect can be useful, while slow is just annoying...

But, to begin with, one of the main use of sunflowers is stopping evil biomes. (the other's being the happy buff. plus, they look good.)
In fact, they are surprisingly effective, as long as the evil can't spread under them, they can completely stop the evil biomes from spreading (though grass on the surface) if you put like 3 next to each other (it will create a large enough barrier that not even thorns could reach to the other side.)

There could be however something like corruptible alternative version of sunflowers - so not replaying the sunflowers we know, but adding some alt versions which can be corrupted, and look - and might behave - some different way.

Yeah, or maybe the sunflowers only get corrupted if initially planted in said corrupted biome. If this is a mechanic, maybe on higher difficulties (expert/master mode?), evil biomes could "infect" sunflowers that were originally pure.

Yeah, or maybe the sunflowers only get corrupted if initially planted in said corrupted biome. If this is a mechanic, maybe on higher difficulties (expert/master mode?), evil biomes could "infect" sunflowers that were originally pure.
That was the original idea, but i though in normal would be ok too. Btw, thanks for the contribution

That doesn't even sounds balanced. Water candle effect can be useful, while slow is just annoying...

But, to begin with, one of the main use of sunflowers is stopping evil biomes. (the other's being the happy buff. plus, they look good.)
In fact, they are surprisingly effective, as long as the evil can't spread under them, they can completely stop the evil biomes from spreading (though grass on the surface) if you put like 3 next to each other (it will create a large enough barrier that not even thorns could reach to the other side.)

There could be however something like corruptible alternative version of sunflowers - so not replaying the sunflowers we know, but adding some alt versions which can be corrupted, and look - and might behave - some different way.
Wow, that sound like a much better idea. However, if we bought them, then they couldn't have debuffs, i mean, why would you buy a debuff?
Maybe it gives reduced damage (porcentage of your armour? Solid value?), i don't know about balancing stuff so... What do you think?

I think it does not matter. I vote yes and no because when the corrupt/crimson tryies to corrupt the sunflower it can't. That's good and leaves just a slit not corrupted >:) hahaha. But if there wasn't a corrupted sunflower then the slit of land would look weird. That's BAD. So maybe

Wow, that sound like a much better idea. However, if we bought them, then they couldn't have debuffs, i mean, why would you buy a debuff?
Maybe it gives reduced damage (porcentage of your armour? Solid value?), i don't know about balancing stuff so... What do you think?
It doesn't have to be bought per-se, it could be craftable from normal sunflower, either as "curruptible suflower" or actually corrupted/crimsoned/hallowed/whatever versions of it.

But I don't really know what buffs or debuffs they should give, if they should give any.
I can see their decoration value to some extent. But don't think many people would intencionally place things that give debuffs. And what buff would not feel too strong...?

It doesn't have to be bought per-se, it could be craftable from normal sunflower, either as "curruptible suflower" or actually corrupted/crimsoned/hallowed/whatever versions of it.

But I don't really know what buffs or debuffs they should give, if they should give any.
I can see their decoration value to some extent. But don't think many people would intencionally place things that give debuffs. And what buff would not feel too strong...?
Yeah, maybe like 5 sunflowers + 5 vile/vicious/purification powder can get you the different types of sunflowers.

The buffs could be like -7% movement speed, -2% damage reduction, or -5% flight time (for the hallow, as wings are hardmode exclusive), just random miniscule debuffs like that

Yeah, maybe like 5 sunflowers + 5 vile/vicious/purification powder can get you the different types of sunflowers.

The buffs could be like -7% movement speed, -2% damage reduction, or -5% flight time (for the hallow, as wings are hardmode exclusive), just random miniscule debuffs like that
I think 1 sunflower + whatever amount of vile/vicious/etc. powder could work as recipe (I dunno about purification powder though, maybe that could be used to craft these back into the vanilla normal sunflower.

But I don't think anyone would craft and place something that gives you debuffs...? it could be either just deco, or give some sort of minimal buff, instead of debuff...

I think 1 sunflower + whatever amount of vile/vicious/etc. powder could work as recipe (I dunno about purification powder though, maybe that could be used to craft these back into the vanilla normal sunflower.

But I don't think anyone would craft and place something that gives you debuffs...? it could be either just deco, or give some sort of minimal buff, instead of debuff...
I mean purification powder could craft hallowed sunflowers, but I'm not sure how you would craft them back to normal sunflowers.

Maybe instead of debuffs, they give small buffs, such as lifesteal, damage reduction, or damage.

I mean purification powder could craft hallowed sunflowers, but I'm not sure how you would craft them back to normal sunflowers.

Maybe instead of debuffs, they give small buffs, such as lifesteal, damage reduction, or damage.
maybe use hallowed seeds or something to craft hallowed version?

Dunno what buffs would be good though...

I have a big question that I haven’t found anywhere, so I wonder if anyone knows the answer to this:

The sunflowers only stop the surface corruption/crimson and hallow, or it completely stops it, from surface to the hell?
Like a true barrier, a wall or something like that.

I was never sure for this, sooo somebody knows the anwer?

I have a big question that I haven’t found anywhere, so I wonder if anyone knows the answer to this:

The sunflowers only stop the surface corruption/crimson and hallow, or it completely stops it, from surface to the hell?
Like a true barrier, a wall or something like that.

I was never sure for this, sooo somebody knows the anwer?
It protects the blocks it's placed on. so, that means, since sunflower is 2 blocks wide, it protects that 2 blocks right under it. nothing else.

However, since corruption/crimson spreads in a 3 blocks radius from corruptible blocks, if you place 2 sunflowers right next to each other, they will protect 4 blocks, basically stopping the biome from spreading in that area via the grass directly. thorns however could be a danger still. But if you place 3-4 or more sunflowers right next to each other, they will cover a large enough area that even if thorns grow on the evil side, they will never reach the other side.
That basically means, a few sunflowers can entirelly blocks the surface spread in an area.

However. they don't protect any blocks besides the two blocks right under them, so if there are grass patches, stone deposits or anything underground where the corruption/crimson can spread, it will spread, and bypass the sunflowers, and eventually pop up on the surface too, on the other side. (the blocks right under the sunflowers will stay being pure however, even when sorrounded by the evil biome on all sides)

So, it won't behave like a "wall" to protect a long strip from surface to hell. it only protects the two blocks directly under it. That's all. but if placed cleverly, they can make a very strong barrier on the surface.

Back
Top Bottom