Corruption or Crimson for a ranger character?

VampireFrog

Terrarian
I’m starting a ranged playthrough and I need to know if corruption or crimson is better for a ranger, long-term. I hate the corruption but the dart rifle.. HELP

You can buy Corruption Seeds from the Dryad once hardmode starts if you're in a crimson world, so hardmode shouldn't really influence your decision.

This is probably one of the harder choices, all things considered, because Corruption offers the Putrid Scent tinkers and the Musket while Crimson offers Ichor, which most Ranged weapons get an enormous benefit from.

Prehardmode, Musket is much better than Undertaker even factoring in bullet damage, while Demon and Tendon Bow end up being about equal if you’re running higher tier ammo. However, Crimson does offer Crimson Armor which would be valuable to Ranged because of the massive gap begween Fossil and Necro, and you may choose to get the Minishark soon after the Musket/Undertaker anyway.

In Hardmode, you can bring in the other evil, but I’m assuming you want the one with more direct benefit so you don’t have to farm. Ichor is stupidly good for Ranged, and Ichor ammo tends to have high velocity so it can be used well as a secondary. Factoring in ammo damage, Dart Pistol has a (very slightly) better DPS than Dart Rifle with crystal darts, and Ichor Darts are much stronger than Cursed Darts in my opinion against bosses especially. However. You do gain access to the Putrid Scent in corruption, which tinkers into the Sniper Scope for the Recon Scope and lets you stack two of them for 40% more ranged DPS, but that’s a lot of grinding and you may already be using up most of your accessories.

Overall I’d say Crimson is probably better for ranged, although it’s close.

Back
Top Bottom