Corruption or Crimson? Which do you prefer?

Corruption or Crimson

• Corruption

Votes: 173 45.3%
  • Crimson

Votes: 209 54.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Every class can have one summon by default, which is a nominal boon, but not significant enough to make much of a difference. In addition, defense is also a omni-class bonus, while the crit from the Putrid Scent isn't quite omni-class, mostly being lost with Summoning, so you're left with a 5% damage bonus, meaning you may as well use an Emblem that gives you a 15% damage bonus instead. If you were going to play a hybrid class (which I'm not fond of anyway) then as far as Summoner or Melee is concerned, the Berserker Glove is viable for both and the defense
If you got spare accesory slots you can stack putrid scent with those emblems you're using, and unlike the flesh knuckles its acutally a useful accesory on its own. If I already have a mech glove I'd rather stack a putrid scent than a berserk glove. The crit bonus can be used for magic support weapons like the nimbus rod and magnet sphere without having to use a magic main weapon.

is more noticeable with Summoner gear due to the classes low defense.
No... the less defense you have the less useful extra defense is. Let's say you have 0 defense and get hit by an attack that does 100 damage in master mode. Adding the flesh knuckles would reduced damage taken by 8%.

Now lets say you have 50 defense, you would take 50 damage from that attack, and adding on an extra 8 defense would effectively reduced damage taken by 16%.

You're forgetting that you can have multiple summons very easily by default from potions and a completely free station.

It's a completely terrible omni-class bonus that's almost completely useless in every difficulty above normal once hardmode starts for every class except Melee, but you aren't wrong.

You can have multiple summons, but the summon potions don't last long and are generally only worth crafting if you're devoted to a Summoner playthrough. Even when I did a full playthrough of the Summoner class I only ever felt the need to use them for the daytime Empress fight. The Bewitching Table is more substantial since it lasts slightly longer, can be placed and doesn't need to be replenished, but even that only leaves you with two (or three max) summons, which aren't as powerful either if you aren't sticking to Summoning armour and accessories. Defense isn't a terrible bonus, if you invest nothing in it and don't stack it then you won't notice it, but that's a side-effect of eschewing the mechanic altogether anyway. I never found crit particularly useful to invest in either, considering how random it is compared to straight damage bonuses.

If you got spare accesory slots you can stack putrid scent with those emblems you're using, and unlike the flesh knuckles its acutally a useful accesory on its own. If I already have a mech glove I'd rather stack a putrid scent than a berserk glove. The crit bonus can be used for magic support weapons like the nimbus rod and magnet sphere without having to use a magic main weapon.

No... the less defense you have the less useful extra defense is. Let's say you have 0 defense and get hit by an attack that does 100 damage in master mode. Adding the flesh knuckles would reduced damage taken by 8%.

Now lets say you have 50 defense, you would take 50 damage from that attack, and adding on an extra 8 defense would effectively reduced damage taken by 16%.

The Flesh Knuckles are also a useful accessory on their own, not as useful, but as previously stated they can craft into one of the best melee accessories at the start of Hardmode while carrying on all their objective bonuses to them. I'd prefer the 12% melee speed increase, 8 defense and 10% increased size over 5% crit and 5% damage. If you have a Mechanical or Fire Glove then you're already stacking damage, speed, and size. The Berserker Glove gives you two of those bonuses, rather than just one. The crit bonus can be used for magic support weapons, but I specifically mentioned that the crit bonus isn't universal because it barely applies to Summoner, and switching to another weapon, let alone a different classes weapon mid-fight is a hassle, especially since, one again, if you're not devoted to a Mage build, you won't be doing as much damage.

As for Defense, I know how it functions, but a Summoner would want to have more of it anyway if they were severely lacking, considering how the Putrid Scent doesn't provide them as noticeable a bonus due to being a low percentage based boost for AI that rarely hits the target in the first place. The defense of the Berserker Glove for Summoner is also playing in tandem with the autoswing and melee speed bonus, all of which are more substantial for said class than a 5% damage boost.

You can have multiple summons, but the summon potions don't last long and are generally only worth crafting if you're devoted to a Summoner playthrough. Even when I did a full playthrough of the Summoner class I only ever felt the need to use them for the daytime Empress fight. The Bewitching Table is more substantial since it lasts slightly longer, can be placed and doesn't need to be replenished, but even that only leaves you with two (or three max) summons, which aren't as powerful either if you aren't sticking to Summoning armour and accessories. Defense isn't a terrible bonus, if you invest nothing in it and don't stack it then you won't notice it, but that's a side-effect of eschewing the mechanic altogether anyway.
Everything used to make summoning potions is renewable, Sometimes I'll even make enough summoning potions for perpetual summoning buff.

I never found crit particularly useful to invest in either, considering how random it is compared to straight damage bonuses.
Terraria isn't the sort of game where you can 'count your shots' damage is heavily randomised even without crit, and you will be hitting bosses 100s of times. The main flaw of crits is that they don't effect summons and every build is going to have at least 3 of those.

The Flesh Knuckles are also a useful accessory on their own, not as useful, but as previously stated they can craft into one of the best melee accessories at the start of Hardmode while carrying on all their objective bonuses to them. I'd prefer the 12% melee speed increase, 8 defense and 10% increased size over 5% crit and 5% damage.
Melee speed is only an offensive boost to swords and spear, it doesn't increase the fire rate of projectiles with the exception of true excalibur and terrablade, which are post mech... you'll have a mech glove by then.

Stuff like the shadowflame knives, drippler crippler nd flying kife don't get any dps out of the melee speed bonus.

8 defense is pretty weak as I already mentioned, its better than not having it at least.

All the good melee weapons at this stage have autoswing.

10% weapons size is a joke, non projectile swords are terrible weapons, and you can't even stack the size increase.

If you have a Mechanical or Fire Glove then you're already stacking damage, speed, and size. The Berserker Glove gives you two of those bonuses, rather than just one. The crit bonus can be used for magic support weapons, but I specifically mentioned that the crit bonus isn't universal because it barely applies to Summoner, and switching to another weapon, let alone a different classes weapon mid-fight is a hassle, especially since, one again, if you're not devoted to a Mage build, you won't be doing as much damage.
Even if you're melee only I'd say 5% damage and crit is better than 8 defense and 12% melee speed, see what I've said about those stats above.

Bonuses to minions and support magic weapons a fairly minor on thier own but its enough for it to be competitive with the warrior and ranger emblem.

As for Defense, I know how it functions, but a Summoner would want to have more of it anyway if they were severely lacking, considering how the Putrid Scent doesn't provide them as noticeable a bonus due to being a low percentage based boost for AI that rarely hits the target in the first place. The defense of the Berserker Glove for Summoner is also playing in tandem with the autoswing and melee speed bonus, all of which are more substantial for said class than a 5% damage boost.
Summoner's who want to use whips are the only ones that will be using the berzerk gloves, autoswing is very useful for if you want to use whips as your main weapon, but If I don't have a spare power glove I'm not making the berzerker glove in case I want to do melee later.

Also there's the fact that Impure summoner builds are viable and often better than pure summoners, those builds get very little out of the berzerk gloves.

Everything used to make summoning potions is renewable, Sometimes I'll even make enough summoning potions for perpetual summoning buff.

True, but I said the Bewitching Table didn't need to be replenished, not that the Summoning Potion wasn't renewable. You could feasibly have enough for a perpetual summoning buff, but my playthroughs generally last 100 hours, so 8 minutes for each Summoning Potion isn't going to make grinding those out fun.

Terraria isn't the sort of game where you can 'count your shots' damage is heavily randomised even without crit, and you will be hitting bosses 100s of times. The main flaw of crits is that they don't effect summons and every build is going to have at least 3 of those.

You don't have to count your shots, the the fact that a crit may not happen at all while base damage is guaranteed (and universal) makes the latter a more significant mechanic. Not every build is going to have at least 3 summons, some builds might not use summons at all, I use two at most if I feel like whipping about a Bewitching Table before a boss fight. And even then they may not even be worth it due to not having a dedicated Summoner build.

Melee speed is only an offensive boost to swords and spear, it doesn't increase the fire rate of projectiles with the exception of true excalibur and terrablade, which are post mech... you'll have a mech glove by then.

Melee Speed increases velocity of projectiles by the percentage bonus it provides. With seven accessory slots, a Melee build is better off stacking a Fire Gauntlet, Mechanical Glove and Berserker Glove for the wide array of bonuses than a Putrid Scent. If you don't want to use the Berserker Glove for whatever reason then a Warrior Emblem is better than the Putrid Scent.

Stuff like the shadowflame knives, drippler crippler nd flying kife don't get any dps out of the melee speed bonus.

The Shadowflame Knives had noticeably more speed and range when I used them with more melee speed, and the Drippler Crippler can swing faster as well. Might not be as noticeable as with other more traditional Melee weapons, but it is apparent.

8 defense is pretty weak as I already mentioned, its better than not having it at least.

It's weak if you don't invest in it. Every defense bonus is weak individually, you get the most by combining them, through items like the Worm Scarf, Beetle Armour, Warding or finding accessories with high Defense.

All the good melee weapons at this stage have autoswing.

Some don't, like the Ice Sickle. Even later on serviceable melee weapons like the North Pole don't have it. It's even useful for Yoyo's so you don't have to reclick, as well as Whips.

10% weapons size is a joke, non projectile swords are terrible weapons, and you can't even stack the size increase.

Size affects projectile swords too, in which case it gives you somewhat more range and and protection in-between projectiles, or to keep away mobs.

Even if you're melee only I'd say 5% damage and crit is better than 8 defense and 12% melee speed, see what I've said about those stats above.

I wouldn't say that, especially considering the stats above are still decidedly relevant on their own and combined with other accessories, considering the Emblems do what the Putrid Scent does anyway, while nothing providing not as much of an array of bonuses.

Bonuses to minions and support magic weapons a fairly minor on thier own but its enough for it to be competitive with the warrior and ranger emblem.

Where are these bonuses coming from? If you're playing Ranger then yes, you may as well go for the Putrid Scent, but it doesn't provide any niche bonus to Melee, certainly not enough to justify hybridising and switching to different weapons mid-fight.

Summoner's who want to use whips are the only ones that will be using the berzerk gloves, autoswing is very useful for if you want to use whips as your main weapon, but If I don't have a spare power glove I'm not making the berzerker glove in case I want to do melee later.

Melee can use the Berserker Gloves, considering their early availability and wide variety of bonuses to all things Melee. As far as resources are concerned, you don't need to save them for spare Power Gloves or Mech Gloves or anything because everything used to craft them can be permanently attained again with more time investment.

Also there's the fact that Impure summoner builds are viable and often better than pure summoners, those builds get very little out of the berzerk gloves.
Technically any Class that decides to use a Summon weapon could qualify as an impure summoner, so if said class is Ranged-Summoner or Mage-Summoner then yes, they get very little out of them. However, if they're Melee-Summoner then they're actually doubling up since the Berserker Gloves provide bonuses to both classes at all stages. Both the Putrid Scent and the Berserker Glove eventually start to get outclassed by later accessories, but I've kept the Berserker Glove for longer in my playthroughs than the Putrid Scent, if I even found a spot for it when it was initially available.

You don't have to count your shots, the the fact that a crit may not happen at all while base damage is guaranteed (and universal) makes the latter a more significant mechanic.
Statiscly this just isn't going to be relevent, you'll be landing thousands of attacks throughout a playthrough. I just treat 1% = 1% crit, unless its universal damage vs universal crit.

Melee Speed increases velocity of projectiles by the percentage bonus it provides. With seven accessory slots, a Melee build is better off stacking a Fire Gauntlet, Mechanical Glove and Berserker Glove for the wide array of bonuses than a Putrid Scent. If you don't want to use the Berserker Glove for whatever reason then a Warrior Emblem is better than the Putrid Scent.

The Shadowflame Knives had noticeably more speed and range when I used them with more melee speed, and the Drippler Crippler can swing faster as well. Might not be as noticeable as with other more traditional Melee weapons, but it is apparent.
I'm aware that melee speed increases projectile velocity, but that doesn't increase dps. It does increase the speed your player swings their arm and sound plays so the shadowflame knives sound like you're throwing at a faster rate but there is no dps change.
Shadowflame knives have plenty of velocity without meleespeed, and if a weapon's projectiles move so slow that you have to sacrifice damage for melee speed, its bad.

It's weak if you don't invest in it. Every defense bonus is weak individually, you get the most by combining them, through items like the Worm Scarf, Beetle Armour, Warding or finding accessories with high Defense.
Changing to warding is a lot of investment, on most builds your better off just using a defensive accessory and keeping your menacing modifiers.

Some don't, like the Ice Sickle. Even later on serviceable melee weapons like the North Pole don't have it. It's even useful for Yoyo's so you don't have to reclick, as well as Whips.
I forgot about the ice sickle that's valid, North pole is post mech so you'll be using the mech glove on that meaning the berzerk gloves autoswing is redundent.

I wouldn't say that, especially considering the stats above are still decidedly relevant on their own and combined with other accessories, considering the Emblems do what the Putrid Scent does anyway, while nothing providing not as much of an array of bonuses.
You can just stack the scent with the emblems, I usually have room for one in early hardmode. And unlike the berzerker glove its stack bonuses are actually worth it.

Where are these bonuses coming from? If you're playing Ranger then yes, you may as well go for the Putrid Scent, but it doesn't provide any niche bonus to Melee, certainly not enough to justify hybridising and switching to different weapons mid-fight.
You really should use the magnet sphere, missing 1 shot on your main weapon is worth the magnet sphere landing like 20 shots per cast. In Crowd control nimbus rods last long enough to do more than enough damage to make up for missing out on... 1 shot.

Melee can use the Berserker Gloves, considering their early availability and wide variety of bonuses to all things Melee. As far as resources are concerned, you don't need to save them for spare Power Gloves or Mech Gloves or anything because everything used to craft them can be permanently attained again with more time investment.
I guess for the ice sickle specificly the berzerker glove can be good, but for any other melee weapon worth using I'd rather have the putrid scent.

Technically any Class that decides to use a Summon weapon could qualify as an impure summoner, so if said class is Ranged-Summoner or Mage-Summoner then yes, they get very little out of them. However, if they're Melee-Summoner then they're actually doubling up since the Berserker Gloves provide bonuses to both classes at all stages. Both the Putrid Scent and the Berserker Glove eventually start to get outclassed by later accessories, but I've kept the Berserker Glove for longer in my playthroughs than the Putrid Scent, if I even found a spot for it when it was initially available.
Melee summoner hybrids, don't use whips as a primary weapon, they may whip once or twice to inflict a tag then switch back to a melee weapon for that sharpening buff, but at that point the whip autoswing is unessary.

Statiscly this just isn't going to be relevent, you'll be landing thousands of attacks throughout a playthrough. I just treat 1% = 1% crit, unless its universal damage vs universal crit.
It's always relevant, it's 1% chance to land, then the damage is applied. 1% damage is always applied.

I'm aware that melee speed increases projectile velocity, but that doesn't increase dps. It does increase the speed your player swings their arm and sound plays so the shadowflame knives sound like you're throwing at a faster rate but there is no dps change.
Shadowflame knives have plenty of velocity without meleespeed, and if a weapon's projectiles move so slow that you have to sacrifice damage for melee speed, its bad.

It doesn't increase DPS on stationary targets, but faster projectiles mean they're more likely to hit moving targets and not go flying off course, meaning less aim compensation. You aren't sacrificing anything, I'm not making the case that it's only damage and melee speed being compared here, the Berserker Glove offers many more bonuses than just melee speed.

Changing to warding is a lot of investment, on most builds your better off just using a defensive accessory and keeping your menacing modifiers.
Changing all your modifiers is always an investment, regardless of what they are. Stacking Warding is always useful, especially since, as you said, defense matters more when you already have high defense, which isn't going to happen if you're splitting these mechanics between each other, as well as other mechanics like crit.

I forgot about the ice sickle that's valid, North pole is post mech so you'll be using the mech glove on that meaning the berzerk gloves autoswing is redundent.
The autoswing is redundant but the speed and defense aren't. With seven accessory slots (2 of those likely filled by the Terraspark Boots and wings) you have five left over. You could easily fit the three melee gloves in there and then a Worm Scarf or something of that kind to bolster defense further.

You can just stack the scent with the emblems, I usually have room for one in early hardmode. And unlike the berzerker glove its stack bonuses are actually worth it.
Are they? Early Hardmode, two split 5% damage bonuses aren't going to add that much, especially since they're still working off comparatively low base values. Early Hardmode still has some non-autoswing weapons, and 8 defense is a notable increase in that statistic at that point, not to mention the weapon size.

You really should use the magnet sphere, missing 1 shot on your main weapon is worth the magnet sphere landing like 20 shots per cast. In Crowd control nimbus rods last long enough to do more than enough damage to make up for missing out on... 1 shot.

By the time you switch to a magic weapon on a non-magic build while diverting your attention between weapon switching and the fight, then cast it (while taking into consideration you aren't doing as much damage as a pure Mage would) you could easily hit the enemy more times with your main class weapon in that period of time and do more damage. Nimbus Rod is sort of useful for the Destroyer for non-mage due to its length and tendency to be caught up in one spot, but it's not going to be helped too much by split 5% bonuses. For other more mobile bosses you can eschew it entirely. For mobs you're better off boosting your main damaging weapon.

I guess for the ice sickle specificly the berzerker glove can be good, but for any other melee weapon worth using I'd rather have the putrid scent.

It's good for virtually every melee weapon, if there's an exception it's generally easier to just keep it in your accessory slot anyway. I'm stating I'd prefer the Berserker Glove for a wider array of relevant bonuses easily accessible Pre-Mech.

Melee summoner hybrids, don't use whips as a primary weapon, they may whip once or twice to inflict a tag then switch back to a melee weapon for that sharpening buff, but at that point the whip autoswing is unessary.

It also affects their speed, as well as providing them autoswing. I don't see much utility in hybrid classes, especially with the added hassle of constant switching and strange gear loadouts which can often end up leaving you half as effective at everything a pure class could do. My melee playthrough with one or two summons was easy even on Master in comparison to my Summoner playthrough on the same difficulty, but even in the case of the former they were mostly there for farming or to just be a second "pet", they were never substantial DPS machines. I can't imagine sacrificing melee build strength to hybridise with Summoner would do it much good.

Crit chance *does* make a difference against individual mobs, but in invasions with 100s of “individual mobs” and against bosses (even ones that spawn minions, because they spawn tons over the course of the battle), the difference between damage and crit becomes negligible. It’s like that lesson you've probably had to do in biology with the green and yellow peas - when you have ten peas, the colors can wildly differ but when you have hundreds they will almost always follow the ratio lines, give or take a few.

Anyway, the issue is how well the benefits of putrid scent compare to those of flesh knuckles. Flesh knuckles’ 8 defense is anywhere from 4 to 8 less damage flat depending on your world difficulty. Which isn’t very much. When every enemy hits for a minimum of 50 damage (in normal mode, on the weaker side of things) and can hit for hundreds (still in normal mode, some early hardmode mobs like destroyer’s head and clowns can 1 shot you in master anyway), reducing it by 4 to 8 doesn’t make all that much of a difference. Meanwhile, putrid scent basically lets you clear all battles 10% faster. It’s not quite as much as any emblem, but in early hardmode when you get it you’ll likely have an open slot - especially if you didn’t get the emblem you wanted.

As for the tinkers, Berserker Glove does have its valid niche as a summoner. I don’t recommend it for melee because the 100% knockback it inherits from Titan Glove can really screw you over and unlike mechanical glove it doesn’t offer anything worth it in exchange. The only thing you need from the feral claws tinkers up until Mech Glove comes from feral claws itself, which is also much cheaper to reforge.

However, Summoners very much profit from the power glove tree, since tbey don’t get the knockback from the glove (even if they did, whip knockback is so pitiful that it would actually help), and autoswing is a big enough deal on a weapon as hard to time as whips. Summoners don’t get the damage from mechanical glove, so naturally berserker glove is the best choice. And even with a hybrid build, you probably won’t *exclusively* be using another weapon because whips are pretty powerful when factoring in summoner damage boosts.

But I’d argue Putrid Scent’s big tinker - recon scope - is more useful. Everyone complains about “wah wah the damage doesn’t transfer over” but it doesn’t need to. Sniper Scope is one of the single largest DPS boosts in the game, at 10% damage and 10% crit, and being able to equip another one is insane. You basically get 40% more DPS for two accessories (which is :red:ing insane) and I usually have two accessory slots left over for offense anyway. It’s a much, much more powerful niche than autoswing on whips, especially because summoner has much more competition in the accessory department than ranged, and I’ve already established that I don’t think berserker glove helps for melee.

It's always relevant, it's 1% chance to land, then the damage is applied. 1% damage is always applied.
But's its a chance of double damage, over time 1% damage is equal to 1% crit.

It doesn't increase DPS on stationary targets, but faster projectiles mean they're more likely to hit moving targets and not go flying off course, meaning less aim compensation. You aren't sacrificing anything, I'm not making the case that it's only damage and melee speed being compared here, the Berserker Glove offers many more bonuses than just melee speed.
Losing 5% damage and crit is definitely a sacrifice not worth 12% melee speed.

The autoswing is redundant but the speed and defense aren't. With seven accessory slots (2 of those likely filled by the Terraspark Boots and wings) you have five left over. You could easily fit the three melee gloves in there and then a Worm Scarf or something of that kind to bolster defense further.
Don't forget about the celestial stone, thats 10% melee speed, and 10% ALL damage, 2% crit, some defense and life regen, its better than the berzerker gloves 12% speed and 8 defense in every way.
The life regen is way more useful than the 4 defense, and 10% all damage, and 2% crit is more useful than 2% crit

Or... the avenger emblem, 12% damage to everything is better than 12% melee speed which only good for the terra blade or true excalibur.

Or... the warrior emblem, 15% damage to melee is better than 12% melee speed which only good for the terra blade or true excalibur.

Or... the putrid scent, 5% damage and crit is better than 12% melee speed which only good for the terra blade or true excalibur.

Also... terraspark boots... get amphibian, 48% flight speed is WAY more useful than all that junk terraspark throws on the hermes boots.

By the time you switch to a magic weapon on a non-magic build while diverting your attention between weapon switching and the fight, then cast it (while taking into consideration you aren't doing as much damage as a pure Mage would) you could easily hit the enemy more times with your main class weapon in that period of time and do more damage. Nimbus Rod is sort of useful for the Destroyer for non-mage due to its length and tendency to be caught up in one spot, but it's not going to be helped too much by split 5% bonuses. For other more mobile bosses you can eschew it entirely. For mobs you're better off boosting your main damaging weapon.
Time for some math!
Lets say you have shroomite armor, 5 menacing accesories, a destroyer emblem and an avenger emblem.
Sniper rifle base dps (60 / 36) * 185 * 1.15 * 1.55 * 1.64 + (60 / 36) * 7 * 1.55 * 1.64 = 931dps
The numbers are [fire rate * base damage * bullet damage * ranged damage * critical chance + fire rate * ammo base damage * ranged damage * critical chance]
The fire rate would be a little slower because no autofire, but taking this into account would make the magnet sphere better by comparison.

Now lets assume it takes 2 whole seconds to switch to the magnet sphere fire and switch back, that's being pretty generous, I'm usually able to do it in under 1 second.
In those 2 seconds you would deal 1,861 average damage with the sniper rifle

Magnet sphere's average damage on this build is 48 * 1.42 * 1.39 = 95 damage
This means the magnet sphere has to land 20 hits to be worth using, which is about 3 seconds of the magnet sphere firing, the magnet sphere can land a lot more hits than that if you're good at using it.

Corruption. The music is better, it is easy to find demon altars and is the OG evil.
Crimson. Annoying af, good accessories and weapons but harder. ichor overall better than cursed flames.
I like corruption better because of its design.

But's its a chance of double damage, over time 1% damage is equal to 1% crit.

Crit applies after defense bonuses, damage applies before. So taking that into consideration along with the consistency of a 1% damage increase means it's better in general.

Losing 5% damage and crit is definitely a sacrifice not worth 12% melee speed.

On it's own, maybe not. But the Berserker Glove provides autoswing, 10% increased weapon size, a defense increase of 8 and 12% melee speed, not just melee speed.

Don't forget about the celestial stone, thats 10% melee speed, and 10% ALL damage, 2% crit, some defense and life regen, its better than the berzerker gloves 12% speed and 8 defense in every way.
The life regen is way more useful than the 4 defense, and 10% all damage, and 2% crit is more useful than 2% crit

Or... the avenger emblem, 12% damage to everything is better than 12% melee speed which only good for the terra blade or true excalibur.

Or... the warrior emblem, 15% damage to melee is better than 12% melee speed which only good for the terra blade or true excalibur.

Or... the putrid scent, 5% damage and crit is better than 12% melee speed which only good for the terra blade or true excalibur.

Also... terraspark boots... get amphibian, 48% flight speed is WAY more useful than all that junk terraspark throws on the hermes boots.

I never said the Berserker Glove was better than any of these accessories barring the Putrid Scent, which you're only giving 12% melee speed to as if it's a downgrade to the Feral Claws or something, it has other bonuses. The Emblems and Celestial Shell/Stone are also better than the Putrid Scent, you could be replacing both the Putrid Scent and Berserker Glove by post-Golem if you wanted to. As far as the Terraspark Boots are concerned, how they compare to the Amphibian Boots is ultimately irrelevant to the subject, though the Terraspark Boots are much better for all manner of exploring, with only bosses really being debatable due to the high ascent speed the Amphibian Boots has, but even then Terraspark Boots are more stable and less erratic to control, with a longer flight time and faster grounded movement speed, so they aren't an objective improvement unless the boss actively encourages vertical mobility, like the EoL.

Time for some math!
Lets say you have shroomite armor, 5 menacing accesories, a destroyer emblem and an avenger emblem.
Sniper rifle base dps (60 / 36) * 185 * 1.15 * 1.55 * 1.64 + (60 / 36) * 7 * 1.55 * 1.64 = 931dps
The numbers are [fire rate * base damage * bullet damage * ranged damage * critical chance + fire rate * ammo base damage * ranged damage * critical chance]
The fire rate would be a little slower because no autofire, but taking this into account would make the magnet sphere better by comparison.

Now lets assume it takes 2 whole seconds to switch to the magnet sphere fire and switch back, that's being pretty generous, I'm usually able to do it in under 1 second.
In those 2 seconds you would deal 1,861 average damage with the sniper rifle

Magnet sphere's average damage on this build is 48 * 1.42 * 1.39 = 95 damage
This means the magnet sphere has to land 20 hits to be worth using, which is about 3 seconds of the magnet sphere firing, the magnet sphere can land a lot more hits than that if you're good at using it.

The Magnet Sphere lasts 7 seconds assuming it doesn't hit any blocks, travels and doesn't chase the enemy. Add that to the Nimbus Rod you also made a case for and you're more or less constantly switching weapons to presumably carve out more damage, but with the lack of tracking or consistent aiming considering it almost functions like a minion, and that you can deal more damage by sticking to your primary weapon, that means you're going through much more micromanagement and effort for what is likely not an improvement over the damage you could be dealing without switching, unless the situation made it apparent that it would clearly be worth it, like the Nimbus Rod with the Destroyer or OOA.

I prefer flesh knuckles. I just find the defense more useful and the enemies effect it has doesn't really matter in single player

To bring this thread back on topic, I prefer the Crimson.

The gory, brutal aesthetic sells it as a threat; like it's some abomination against nature. In contrast, I have a hard time taking the Corruption seriously. The music isn't really menacing and it looks like they slapped googly eyes on the enemies (not that I don't appreciate googly eyes).

They're close to equal in viable items so I've never fussed about that much. You can always make an artificial biome or world-hop.

putrid scent is better

Honestly, I like crimson better. It has better drops (like icor so we can pee on our foes), harder monsters, cool backdrop, it is more hilly rather than holey, and has a better lore too.

I prefer the Crimson, I prefer the atmosphere and theme, and the chasms are easy to navigate and there's plenty of space in the central room. The Corruption is very repetitive, every enemy (even the boss) is based off the Eater of Souls, whereas the Crimson has much more variety, and I enjoy the Brain of Cthulhu boss fight more than the Eater of Worlds. Also, most of the Corruption's pre-Hardmode loot is just plain worse, because the Crimson's loot has better stats. Also, the Crimson Heart is much faster than the Shadow Orb, and what's the point of light if most of the time it's nowhere near the player? In Hardmode, the Corruption still has no variety, Corrupters are just stronger Eaters of Souls, World Feeders are just stronger Devourers which are just longer Eaters of Souls, and Clingers are simply stretchy Eaters of Souls, whereas the Crimson has unique enemies, not just slight variations of the most basic enemy in the biome. Even after its nerf, I think Ichor is still better than Cursed Flames, because Cursed Flames is just 24 extra DPS, whereas Ichor increases damage by 7.5 per shot, which when combined with high-speed weapons, allows much more DPS than Cursed Flames can. Fetid Baghnakhs have incredibly high DPS, and the extra range of the Chain Guillotines isn't enough to make it on par with the extraordinary damage output of its alternative. Even though the Scourge of the Corrupter is a very powerful weapon, the Vampire Knives are still better because of the lifesteal which makes you almost immortal.

However! If we look at certain differences, Corruption wins. Apart from the light pets, the Corruption has better Shadow Orb/Crimson Heart loot. The Putrid Scent is better than the Flesh Knuckles, because 5% increased damage and critical hit chance (which can be viewed as 10% increased damage output) is much better than 8 defense. Also, the Demon Alters are all in a line, which makes it easy to smash a lot of them quickly before being killed by Wraiths.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom