Blocks & Decoration Craftable Clay, Decoration Pottery & Other Ideas

StickyQuote

Spazmatism
So after watching a few YouTube videos on people making various materials from scratch, I had some interesting ideas pop up in my head. I felt like putting them out, since I'm a big fan of the game and have a huge chunk of hours on it, and as someone who loves to base build and decorate, I figured the slim chance that someone on the dev team might notice and give thought to these ideas was worth taking.

Some of these ideas might have been brought up before, but as I rarely post and lurk, please forgive me if you see a similar idea here; I didn't look at any other threads beforehand regarding suggestions, so everything here is stuff I thought up on the fly. So, without further adieu, here are my various ideas:
Craftable Clay
Fairly simple idea really, you can craft mud when next to a body of water, so why not clay? Clay is often made by humans when they take the dirt from a river's edge or other similar areas near large bodies of water, and sift it, adding water to it and removing excess sand, debris, silt and rocks. I could see a recipe for craftable clay being something like dirt, sand and silt blocks being combined to form clay, probably at a rate of 2 dirt, sand and silt per clay block. Maybe, as a result of the process, you have a chance of getting a silt or sand block back even, as you are filtering the materials to get the right mixture of minerals and clay particles. Heck, if you wanted to take it a step further, could be an even entirely new material called raw clay, in which you take enough of it to a furnace and further refine it into actual clay blocks. But that last step is mostly for further crafting purposes, and could very much just be like making mud out of dirt blocks when near water. Of course, it doesn't need to be super complex, could just be dirt at a body of water or sink plus a furnace.

Raw Clay
As mentioned above, raw clay could be a mixture that's more refined than basic clay blocks. The version I imagined as listed above is doing the process to craft clay, then getting a block that functions similarly to sand and silt when it comes to gravity, but it's mostly a material used to craft decoration pieces, maybe even a Pottery Station crafting station is required to do so. Also, a neat idea that one could use with this block/material hybrid is potentially early game summons, clay figures that work as an early game craftable summon item, similar to the Hornet and Imp Staves. Giving life to clay figures and all that. Could even pay homage to Mother 3 by giving them cute little antennae atop their head!

Decoration Pottery
A common usage of clay is making pottery, so I could see either raw clay or clay blocks being used to craft not only unbreakable versions of the various Terraria pottery, possibly using other blocks depending on the biome pots like ebonstone being used to make Corruption-based pots for example. But not only could you craft pottery as seen in Terraria, but perhaps new designs based on biomes and Terraria mobs and such? Kind of like craftable paintings almost! Heck, maybe like how you can hammer blocks into half blocks and slopes, maybe you can hammer pottery to change the design?

Marble Columns &
Granite Sheet Rock
Way back I did a suggestion for Marble Columns, the kind you see on ancient Greek architecture, all we have that's close to it is a Column Statue. But, I recently thought of a counterpart for Granite, since the two go hand in hand. Granite Sheet Rock would be a block, similar to Copper Plating, Stone Slab, and other similar blocks that form a pattern; it would be essentially a way to have marble-like pattern, yet without using marble itself. As you continue to place blocks, eventually a line of binding agent would form in the pattern and the next sheet of rock would start. I was thinking crafting these could be done at a Heavy Workbench

Elaborate Brick
Elaborate brick would be a sort of modern brick that looks rather cobbled together, like slabs of IRL granite or shale plates stacked atop each other and forming an uneven and semi-random pattern of brick that, when placed in large amounts, emulates various brick styles in modern house building and fancy architecture. The 'stones' in said brick formation could be of various colors, resembling a variety of minerals and different rocks formed into a brick. I was thinking the crafting could be done at a Heavy Workbench, like the previous idea.

Live/Living Electricity Blocks
Similar to Living Fire Blocks, Live/Living Electricity Blocks could be made at a Crystal Ball, possibly using up Wire and perhaps various Gemspark colors to give the block a variety of colors, much like actual lightning can appear in different shades of blue and such. It would be an animated black, much like the various forms of living flame blocks we have in the game already. Great for scifi builds, electrical trap styles, and other things based around electricity. This could also be a prelude to...

Plasmatic Gemspark Blocks
A neat name for a neat kind of block, Plasmatic Gemspark Blocks would be the next step up from the idea above, using said blocks and Gemspark of varying colors to create a sort of visually glowing block that has almost an aura around it, bright and almost like a block of pure energy, perfect for scifi builds for ship engines, power sources, as well as magical builds too. Would likely be crafted at a Crystal Ball AND Heavy Workbench together, or at least both within the player's range.

Energy Matrix Block
You ever really dig those moving binary numbers for the matrix? Or maybe even the look of slightly glowing circuitry? Well, the Energy Matrix Blocks would be right up your alley. These blocks would likely be unable to be crafted, or take a lot of wire to craft, probably similar to Arcane Wall Runes, and sold by the Traveling Merchant. These blocks would simulate the insides of a machine, animated with various pathways that get more and more random and complex the more you place, within reason of course, similar to Coral Brick. Also would probably be the pre-hardmode version of...

Martian Circuitry Block & Ancient Lunar Brick
These blocks would be essentially hardmode and end game versions of the block above, being more animated and scifi looking than that. The Martians already drop plating, so this would be essentially a unique block dropped from various machine-based Martian enemies, or perhaps crafted from the unique blocks. The third of these circuitry-like bricks would be a more runic and mystical looking block that resembles glowing ancient alien artifact blocks rather than modern or futuristic circuitry, I was thinking a mix of Obsidian and Luminite Ore would craft these, or perhaps these are dropped from various Celestial Pillar enemies?

Wind Chimes
A step back from the kooky and strange, we have craftable wind chimes, to go with the new Windy Day event that seems to be in the works. These decorations could be made from various materials for various and immersive sound effects when placed, wood would give a gentle klunking sound when the wind is high, metals would jingle together, and you could even create mystical wind chimes that don't even sound like wind chimes at all using all sorts of strange blocks! Could be sold by the Traveling Merchant or perhaps upgraded from a base wind chime the Dryad, Witch Doctor or Traveling Merchant sells? Lots of possibilities with this one!

Terrarium Tubing & Empty Terrariums
You ever see those pet crazy people who have multiple tanks hooked up by tubing to create more space for their animals to run around? I could see the various Terrarians setting up a similar system for the tank'd critters of Terraria! The idea would be you place a Terrarium with a certain critter inside, then attach various tubing, then you attach either an empty Terrarium or an open room at the other end of said tubing, and watch as your critter runs about from Terrarium to tube to other areas! Could even have a mechanic where if your critter escapes, you might have your Terrarium become 'empty' until you place the same critter there! Watch out for those gold critters so they don't potentially escape! Could be crafted at a heavy workbench using just glass or maybe glass plus sand for a more... silicon-like crafting idea.

Reinforced Glass Brick
You know those glass cubes that you can typically find as thicker windows and often times on some bars and taverns? The kind that look like a bunch of glass cubes stuck together? These would be those, a tougher glass that takes the appearance of several blocks of glass placed together. A simple idea but a nice one for bar builds and such. Would likely be crafted at a Heavy Workbench, much like many of the more complex bricks and blocks.
Well, that's all I have for now, but I'm sure I have more ideas somewhere in this head 'o mine. Let me know what you think and if you have any ideas that build upon these concepts, and perhaps if this gains enough traction, I'll actually try to do some sprite examples to show off said ideas in more detail! Thanks!

Added a new idea in Reinforced Glass Block.

Last edited:
This idea would be worth it just to be able to make non-breakable versions of pots and vases.

Fairly simple idea really, you can craft mud when next to a body of water, so why not clay? Clay is often made by humans when they take the dirt from a river's edge or other similar areas near large bodies of water, and sift it, adding water to it and removing excess sand, debris, silt and rocks. I could see a recipe for craftable clay being something like dirt, sand and silt blocks being combined to form clay, probably at a rate of 2 dirt, sand and silt per clay block. Maybe, as a result of the process, you have a chance of getting a silt or sand block back even, as you are filtering the materials to get the right mixture of minerals and clay particles. Heck, if you wanted to take it a step further, could be an even entirely new material called raw clay, in which you take enough of it to a furnace and further refine it into actual clay blocks. But that last step is mostly for further crafting purposes, and could very much just be like making mud out of dirt blocks when near water.
Right... I think I'll just look 3 blocks underground instead of going through all that
A step back from the kooky and strange, we have craftable wind chimes, to go with the new Windy Day event that seems to be in the works. These decorations could be made from various materials for various and immersive sound effects when placed, wood would give a gentle klunking sound when the wind is high, metals would jingle together, and you could even create mystical wind chimes that don't even sound like wind chimes at all using all sorts of strange blocks! Could be sold by the Traveling Merchant or perhaps upgraded from a base wind chime the Dryad, Witch Doctor or Traveling Merchant sells? Lots of possibilities with this one!
I did one of those before.
You ever see those pet crazy people who have multiple tanks hooked up by tubing to create more space for their animals to run around? I could see the various Terrarians setting up a similar system for the tank'd critters of Terraria! The idea would be you place a Terrarium with a certain critter inside, then attach various tubing, then you attach either an empty Terrarium or an open room at the other end of said tubing, and watch as your critter runs about from Terrarium to tube to other areas! Could even have a mechanic where if your critter escapes, you might have your Terrarium become 'empty' until you place the same critter there! Watch out for those gold critters so they don't potentially escape!
How would you get the tubing?

Right... I think I'll just look 3 blocks underground instead of going through all that

I did one of those before.

How would you get the tubing?
I've actually had clay sparse worlds in the past, rare, but it happens. It would be kinda a solution to that plus it doesn't have to be all those steps. Could just be dirt, a body of water and maybe a furnace. The silt and sand are more for those who like more realism crafting, but it's Terraria, so anything is game in terms of crafting, hah.

Awesome about the wind chimes. Like I said, I didn't go hunting through the forums, so if you see something you suggested before, it's coincidence and just honestly shows the desire for such a thing.

As for the tubing, I was thinking it could be just like Terrariums, crafting out of glass, or maybe glass and perhaps sand at a heavy workbench, silicon potentially via sand to make it tougher than standard glass.

Thanks for the feedback though. ^^

Back
Top Bottom