Weapons & Equip Craftable Finch Staff

Should there be a crafting recipe for the Finch staff?

• Yes, summoners should have an easier start

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • No, summon class is meant to be a challenge

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters

Mr Blaze

Official Terrarian
Summoners have a rough start as they don't have anything to defend themselves with!

The earliest summon weapon available is the Finch staff which is not guaranteed in every world (especially in small worlds).
So, what if you could craft it?
I suggest that the finch staff should be crafted at a saw mill with 10 wood, 3 acorns and 20 cobwebs.

What do you think of this suggestion?
I would love to hear your thoughts.

Summoners have a rough start as they don't have anything to defend themselves with!

The earliest summon weapon available is the Finch staff which is not guaranteed in every world (especially in small worlds).
So, what if you could craft it?
I suggest that the finch staff should be crafted at a sawmill with 10 wood, 3 acorns, and 20 cobwebs.

What do you think of this suggestion?
I would love to hear your thoughts.
My opinion is that Summoner is entertained to be the hardest class in the game, and if you want to do pure summoner in one world - pray for Finch Staff. Either you should work hard for Leather Whip... so crafting Finch Staff is too easy. For my thoughts it should be in one Living Tree of your world with 100% chance, so no freaking with 10 worlds for one staff.

My opinion is that Summoner is entertained to be the hardest class in the game, and if you want to do pure summoner in one world - pray for Finch Staff. Either you should work hard for Leather Whip... so crafting Finch Staff is too easy. For my thoughts it should be in one Living Tree of your world with 100% chance, so no freaking with 10 worlds for one staff.
Making the staff a guarantee form living tree is also great idea.
In 1.4.1, I was playing on a medium world and i didn't get one from the only living tree in the world.

The flinx staff kind of covers this need - it’s a pretty easily crafted early game summon weapon (gold bars and flinx fur). It’s not quite as early and you need a way to kill flinxes (traps/lava/NPCs for a pure summoner), but it fills the role of a reliable and craftable early game weapon. I think it’s comparable to the wand of sparking and gem staves - a non-guaranteed surface weapon compared to craftable weapons using early game ores.

It should be 10 wood and a bird
(Since it’s got a bird in the design)
Adding a bird to the recipie is a great idea as it will require you to have obtained the merchant npc before crafting it, thus pushing it a bit further into progression

Last edited:
The flinx staff kind of covers this need - it’s a pretty easily crafted early game summon weapon (gold bars and flinx fur). It’s not quite as early and you need a way to kill flinxes (traps/lava/NPCs for a pure summoner), but it fills the role of a reliable and craftable early game weapon. I think it’s comparable to the wand of sparking and gem staves - a non-guaranteed surface weapon compared to craftable weapons using early game ores.
The snow flinx staff is a great weapon, but it requires you to kill flinxes.
Killing them with traps, lava, etc ,even though possible, can be frustrating for some players (including me, haha).
Having a weapon early game that isnt too hard to get can help summoners start their journey easily.
Plus, according to my suggestion, you are crafting it at a sawmill which requires you to do some mining and exploring.

Personally, I disagree. There are a lot of items that are not always available in a world and cannot be crafted either. That's part of what makes them special, and also keeps the game replayable.

The snow flinx staff is a great weapon, but it requires you to kill flinxes.
Killing them with traps, lava, etc ,even though possible, can be frustrating for some players (including me, haha).
Having a weapon early game that isnt too hard to get can help summoners start their journey easily.
Plus, according to my suggestion, you are crafting it at a sawmill which requires you to do some mining and exploring.
Are we talking about the flint staff or the finch staff?
I think it would be an easier alternative to the flinx staff. Beneficial to summoners but I don’t see the point. They could just make the staff more common too. If there was the recipe I think it would be: Crafting table needed: 20 wood, 1 bird(any), 10 stone and 3 silk(idk why)

That would be way too easy as the player just need 75 silver, a house, and a tree.
Look at other weapons you'd get around the same time, like the Wooden bow + frostburn arrows. All you need for that is a few trees, some ice, and a slime. The point I'm trying to make is that most other alright weapons for early pre-boss aren't hard to get.

Look at other weapons you'd get around the same time, like the Wooden bow + frostburn arrows. All you need for that is a few trees, some ice, and a slime. The point I'm trying to make is that most other alright weapons for early pre-boss aren't hard to get.
Plus, It will give summoners a way to deal damage early on.

The wooden bow and frost burn arrows are basic weapons you can get early as starters. Meanwhile the finch staff is not needed or necessary to starter summoners because they have much more other choices than the staff. So basically its not compulsory because summoners can get the Flinx or slime staff first and as the finch staff would only be a addition to summoners.

The wooden bow and frost burn arrows are basic weapons you can get early as starters. Meanwhile the finch staff is not needed or necessary to starter summoners because they have much more other choices than the staff. So basically its not compulsory because summoners can get the Flinx or slime staff first and as the finch staff would only be a addition to summoners.
The finch staff should be a basic weapon you can get early as a starter. Summoners don't have any easy ways to get weapons very early on. The finch staff is not guaranteed in a world and is found in a chest that there are only a few in every world. The slime staff is an extremely rare drop. The flinx staff isn't rare, but flinxes are uncommon. The vampire frog staff is annoying to get, because you need wait for a blood moon, then fish until you fish up an enemy, then defeat this extremely tough enemy, and then usually repeat the process because it's a somewhat rare drop from those enemies. The Leather Whip requires 10% bestiary completion, which takes longer than you'd think, and the Snapthorn isn't rare, but the Underground Jungle is a difficult biome pre-boss.

The finch staff should be a basic weapon you can get early as a starter. Summoners don't have any easy ways to get weapons very early on. The finch staff is not guaranteed in a world and is found in a chest that there are only a few in every world. The slime staff is an extremely rare drop. The flinx staff isn't rare, but flinxes are uncommon. The vampire frog staff is annoying to get, because you need wait for a blood moon, then fish until you fish up an enemy, then defeat this extremely tough enemy, and then usually repeat the process because it's a somewhat rare drop from those enemies. The Leather Whip requires 10% bestiary completion, which takes longer than you'd think, and the Snapthorn isn't rare, but the Underground Jungle is a difficult biome pre-boss.
Ok, I agree with you on this one. But why do we have to craft it? Just make the finch staff guaranteed in each world. Or maybe they could add it in sky islands so its easily obtainable and not too rare.

Ok, I agree with you on this one. But why do we have to craft it? Just make the finch staff guaranteed in each world. Or maybe they could add it in sky Island so it's easily obtainable and not too rare.
I don't think so. Because if you are a PURE summoner, going to space is a bad idea.
Also, without a weapon, Flinx Staff, Vampire Frog Staff, and Snapthorn become impossible to obtain. (only via lava, but that's still not so pure summoner I think. And sands is definitely not pure).
Well, completing Bestiary without a weapon to 10% IS POSSIBLE, but hard.
And Finch Staff is your only choice at the beginning.

But still, summoner is made to be the hardest class, so I agree what you shouldn't craft it in any way.

Back
Top Bottom