Console Crafting menu

lSpeedwagonl

Terrarian
So I use to play this game way back in the 360 days and loved every minute of it and thought it was so much fun. I wanted to jump back into it seeing as we're coming up on some of the last updates this game will be receiving. For the life of me though the crafting menu is terrible. Anytime I've seen criticism on these forums about it though, they tell you just to deal with it and this is how things are now which is such a terrible way to deal with an issue.

I can go play Minecraft and just jump right into it without having to worry about how to make something and not knowing what material I need for what. I can check the crafting menu at will and see what I'll need and what I'm setting out to collect. If I want to craft something in Terraria though? I have to go to the guide or go to the wiki. Every. Single. Time. That's not a fun engaging experience, especially when I'm pulled out of the game every 5 minutes just to look up on my phone how to make something. Going to the guide is such a nuisance as well. I'm deep underground and I have to go all the way back up. Other side of the map? All the way back the direction I came from just for him to tell me I need something else instead. If I'm out collecting materials and killing monsters this game just expects you to either learn every recipe or to go to the guide for every single little thing and I'm so sick and tired of it. You know what it feels like every single time I have to go the guide? It feels like I'm playing a tutorial the entire time. I loved this game and I still do, but ever since they changed the crafting UI 3 years ago I could never get myself to play because I don't want to be forced to go the guide or to look it up on my phone/laptop. I don't want to be taken out of the experience every single time I want to craft a potion, armor set, or weapons. Not even including the vast majority of other miscellaneous and small things you can make! Having no craft menu like this game use to have or like how Minecraft still has does a massive disservice to all the items in the game that will never get crafted because they're so specific in the materials you need you'll never know if you can make it.

It doesn't need to be like how it was before since for some reason everyone here is so adamant about not going "backwards." Which is so so annoying because all that ever says is to just "deal" with how things are and in that case I'd much rather not play all together because I won't have fun talking to the guide or looking at a wiki the entire time. It's a very boring experience when I'd rather be playing the game which I find so much fun. I just want a system IN GAME where I don't need to go to the guide every time I want to craft something because I don't know what I need or where to get what I need from. It doesn't take away any of the experience from the game because instead of sitting at my base figuring out what I need and need to do next to progress I'm just doing it because it took me less than a minute to figure it out.

I'm not sure how to word these things so keep in mind this will be pretty raw but uhhh, there is a mod for that? but also your not playing on a PC which make the point moot. There is always keeping the wiki open on a separate device nearby and if you get good at looking up what you want on the wiki you will only be pulled out for 20 seconds tops. You could always keep the guide in the same building as your crafting stations and having storage right next to it. And I guess the last line here is to play and familiarize yourself with crafting.

Sadly though this is the crafting status quo and gameplay flow that has been with the game scenic its inception so their is nothing we can really do about it other than find creative work arounds, mod the game or just "suck it up", "deal with it" or the age old classic from dark souls: "Get Gud"

god speed through these harsh realities

I'm not sure how to word these things so keep in mind this will be pretty raw but uhhh, there is a mod for that? but also your not playing on a PC which make the point moot. There is always keeping the wiki open on a separate device nearby and if you get good at looking up what you want on the wiki you will only be pulled out for 20 seconds tops. You could always keep the guide in the same building as your crafting stations and having storage right next to it. And I guess the last line here is to play and familiarize yourself with crafting.

Sadly though this is the crafting status quo and gameplay flow that has been with the game scenic its inception so their is nothing we can really do about it other than find creative work arounds, mod the game or just "suck it up", "deal with it" or the age old classic from dark souls: "Get Gud"

god speed through these harsh realities
Then it's still like I said though you're sucked out of the game to figure out how to make something. I just idk it's an awful nuisance when in the past it was different and a lot easier to navigate. You had all the information right there ready for you and it just seems really tedious to constantly search up individual things to make on the wiki or give one ingredient to the guide and see what all you can make with just that one thing. It kills the game flow for me when I'd rather be playing the game. I'll have to look into nodding it on PC then, which is :red:ty still because none of my friends play on PC so that defeats the purpose of me even playing in the first place. Appreciate the reply I made the post out of frustration and hope that maybe it'll be heard, but who knows

it's an unfortunate thing that I can't empathize with your plight. I cannot because of my autistic level of knowledge for the game from binge reading the wiki while I was board at school. the amount of :red: I know about the game can only be explained this way. maybe if your bored you can Alt+Shift+X on the wiki and read random pages like I did, It would at least kill time

Back
Top Bottom