Game Mechanics Crafting "Rooms"

Thalyn

Terrarian
There are a lot of crafting stations in Terraria. Even before considering cosmetic stations you've got an anvil, a forge, a chair, a work bench, a loom, a sawmill, a bottle/alchemy table and so on. There's also a lot of materials, which I won't even start to list because that could take a while.

My proposal here is, at least in my opinion, relatively straight forward: rooms for crafting. Functioning similarly to housing, a Crafting Room would simply link all the stations in it together, such that standing anywhere in the room grants you the ability to craft with and from any of them. Much like housing there would also be an upper limit to the size of these rooms in order to prevent the creation of a massive "room" from one end of the map to the other with every crafting station.

This way, instead of having to remember that you need an Anvil to make a Trash Can instead of just a Work Bench, or that a Stone Slab needs a Heavy Work Bench while a regular Work Bench is needed to make a Stone Slab Wall, or wandering around your stations until you find the right one for what you're after, you can just walk into a room and have access to every station there-in. As such if something isn't showing up it's because you don't have the right station - not because you're standing in the wrong spot.

This extends further to chests, allowing for storage in your Crafting Room. Any chests in the same room as a station will be directly accessible by said station/s without having to open it. Instead of trying to meticulously organise everything to be within range of the appropriate station, you instead simply ensure they're stored in the same room as the appropriate station. A smelting room, for example, might only have a Furnace in it, but it has chests which contain every ore type you've encounter for centralised auto-stacking and crafting. You might keep Bottles in a chest in a different room with an Alchemy Table. And so on.

Thankyou again for your time and consideration.

Honestly, I just figured it would a "built in" thing - like the way that you don't have to craft/make/buy/kill/loot anything to house NPCs, beyond the house itself at least. Never really put much thought into it being something you had to work for instead of an overall QoL change.

I mean, I guess I can see the want for it to be a progression thing. I just didn't really mean for it to be like that.

Full support from my end. On one hand changing how crafting works (to require a room) would be a big change, with people not able to use workbenches (unless a loophole is possible), but having big crafting spaces, easily accessible. On the other hand, existing mechanism was created so that the range is equal for any workstation.

Back
Top Bottom