PC craftless challenge, I need opinions

hi, I have been playing a craftless challenge mode, wich means compleating the game as far as possible without crafting a single item, I have been able to kill the wall of flesh, gaining a pair of wings, reaching to 26 armor points, but still haven't been able to defeat the mechanical bosses, what do you think? how far a player can go in terraria withouth crafting items?

fishing has been of great help (reaver shark pickaxe just made my day) and btw, travelling merchant sells a nice fishing rod

need opinions based on facts (like, I saw Yrimir defeating enraged plantera without armor, but he used mega shark)

Well considering the game is mainly based on crafting items to progress further in the game is say there will be a point at which you will come to a stand still.

In fact, you should be able to kill mechs with Clockwork Rifle and Musket Balls, but this needs a good dodge ability, also you can farm for Ancient armors and reforge your accesories to warding, a Ranger Emblem will help you increase your dmg output. Also, if your world is Crimson you can try to farm some Crimson Mimics to obtain a Flesh Knuckles(+7 def, +11 with Warding). Cross Necklace is also very helpful to increase invulnerabily time.

And after Plantera has been killed, you will be able to obtain Tiki Armor, use it and make a Summoner setup. I'm not sure you can defeat Moon Lord without Stardust Dragon but you might manage to kill it with HM Dungeon drops and Deadly Sphere Staff.

And yeah, this is an awesome challenge!

Seconding Daedalus.

The real hiccup is you don't get holy arrows to abuse with it, but if you go for Tiki Armor you can farm Martians for Xeno Staff and maybe a Car Key, then use that to defeat eclipse mobs until you obtain Mothron Wings for an upgrade from Leaf, and then use those for fighting Fishron until you obtain a Tsunami, Razorblade Typhoon for pillar mobs, and maybe also Fishron Wings.

You should be good for Moon Lord then.

The real hiccup is you don't get holy arrows to abuse with it
There're Hellfire Arrows, can be bought from Demolitionist. They're loud, but affective against mechs. And also they can take profits from both Ranger Emblem and Magic Quiver(+%25 dmg output total).

hi, I have been playing a craftless challenge mode, wich means compleating the game as far as possible without crafting a single item

What an awesome idea! I'm so all over it!
So far I've been playing single-type of weapons challenges and other typical stuff. But, I mean, it's not really that interesting. But this idea is on an whole new level.

Some thoughts of the top of my head:
Since most yoyos (all but one?) are non craftable, you may want to farm for the best yoyos on every new tier as soon as you reach it. Most yoyo's are on a class of their own as the top damage weapons of most tiers.

Do your best to get the yoyo glove that gives you access to a second yoyo for a larger kill capacity.

Armor will always be a problem and you will struggle to get good defense or weapon bonuses from armor. If your world is Corruption, I think the best melee armor you can get is the Ancient Shadow Armor, which will require you to farm Easter of Souls in droves (a farming arena is probably required). Magic Users also have a good armor; the Ancient Cobalt Armor, and it is independent of world type.

Once you enter hardmode, life will be hell... and more fun. You really need to concentrate on damage dealing from here on. No need to reforge those accessories to defense. Your defense will be so low (the Shadow Armor has a base of 19), that you are just wasting your time. Go all out on damage and critical hits. Your only way to survive is to kill fast. Which means, your defense accessories should be thrown out also. With some exceptions like the always awesome cross necklace. Be smart with weapons. Do not specialize. Melee, ranged and magic. Look on the wiki for the most powerful ones and hunt them down.

EDIT: Bosses on hard mode will require arenas and wiring. Space out Heart Statues (you may need to farm more than one world and look on the wiki for heart generation rules), and crab/bird engines for extra hearts. Mounts are a must and you can get the Unicorn soon into hardmode. I think the most terrifying bosses will probably be Plantera (even with the back-and-forth teleport trick) and Moon Lord. The others you will eventually beat and the Golem may be in fact that easiest of all hardmode bosses.

Darn! I'm so excited. I need to start this as soon as I get home :)

Last edited:
What an awesome idea! I'm so all over it!
So far I've been playing single-type of weapons challenges and other typical stuff. But, I mean, it's not really that interesting. But this idea is on an whole new level.

Some thoughts of the top of my head:
Since most yoyos (all but one?) are non craftable, you may want to farm for the best yoyos on every new tier as soon as you reach it. Most yoyo's are on a class of their own as the top damage weapons of most tiers.

Do your best to get the yoyo glove that gives you access to a second yoyo for a larger kill capacity.

Armor will always be a problem and you will struggle to get good defense or weapon bonuses from armor. If your world is Corruption, I think the best melee armor you can get is the Ancient Shadow Armor, which will require you to farm Easter of Souls in droves (a farming arena is probably required). Magic Users also have a good armor; the Ancient Cobalt Armor, and it is independent of world type.

Once you enter hardmode, life will be hell... and more fun. You really need to concentrate on damage dealing from here on. No need to reforge those accessories to defense. Your defense will be so low (the Shadow Armor has a base of 19), that you are just wasting your time. Go all out on damage and critical hits. Your only way to survive is to kill fast. Which means, your defense accessories should be thrown out also. With some exceptions like the always awesome cross necklace. Be smart with weapons. Do not specialize. Melee, ranged and magic. Look on the wiki for the most powerful ones and hunt them down.

EDIT: Bosses on hard mode will require arenas and wiring. Space out Heart Statues (you may need to farm more than one world and look on the wiki for heart generation rules), and crab/bird engines for extra hearts. Mounts are a must and you can get the Unicorn soon into hardmode. I think the most terrifying bosses will probably be Plantera (even with the back-and-forth teleport trick) and Moon Lord. The others you will eventually beat and the Golem may be in fact that easiest of all hardmode bosses.

Darn! I'm so excited. I need to start this as soon as I get home :)

Thanks for your comment man, I'm glad you liked the idea. Hardmode is actually not that hard, except for the mechanical bosses, like you can buy a shotgun, farm an ice yoyo and handle pretty well with that.

My current route is spelunky for some heart stones, then dungeon for furniture, then housing for demolition, armsdealer and merchant, then queen bee, then wall of flesh, then shaman wings and that's as far as i got (did lots of fishing, for like a decent pickaxe and so) but there i got stucked, because never find the proper weapon. i was not aware of the deadalus stormbow, because i do not know every item and i don't visit the wiki, consider it cheating.

Also, about your heart statue strat, i consider that one should play with one character per world, and one world per character, so if rng is bad about heart statues, won't be much of an option. also, i always play with hardcore characters, because adds so much adrenalin to the thing. althought i'm re considering that last thing, because i always seem to get killed by explosive hidden traps.

oh, a last thing, magic is almost impossible to use, because for incresing mana you need to craft those shinny blue stars... so sad

Back
Top Bottom